Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Abilities: What If? (Part 1)

(XBOX)HoneyxBadger113

Hello to all Warframe players. I want to start this thread off by saying that no, I do not honestly believe that the Devs will change any of the following Frame's abilities just because I think that these would be cool. This is just a fun exercise that I thought would be a neat thing to do, and help bring the community together a bit. In a bit, I will be listing some Warframes, and telling you what updated abilities I would give them, ranging from a slight change to an existing ability to outright changing all four to something completely new. This list will always be incomplete as there are many variables to consider, and more Warframes are always added to the game. if you think you have a better idea of what abilities should be changed, and what to, or would like to add a Frame to change, please put it in the comments. Also, please keep the comment civil. No name calling, or saying an idea is stupid. These ideas are subjective, and this is supposed to be a nice and fun activity. With that said, The Warframes I'm listing are generally speaking, ones that i can get a general idea for. I have not necessarily used each Frame in game, so please bear with me. With all of that said, let's begin:

This list will be in order from most needing to be optimized to least needing:

1. Volt-Abilities to change: Static Discharge, Electric Shield, Discharge

• Reason for change: Seemed like the Devs wanted to give Volt a power set similar to popular electric-powered super heroes with the first two abilities, but then backtracked heavily in the second two. (The superheroes are Flash and Thor) 
  • The big change: to capitalize on the superhero aspect.
    • Static Discharge: While I have nothing against this ability, after seeing people use it, I feel like it's lackluster. Volt just swings his arm and throws electricity at an enemy. I would update this attack so that it worked one of two ways. the first way is to get Volt to go Flash. Volt would zip over to the nearest enemy, circle around them in an electric blur, stop, and then throw an arc of electricity at the enemy, stunning them. The other way this could this could change would be go melee style like with Thor. Volt would surge his body with lightning, then either do a series of punches, swings,and kicks at the target, or just power himself up with his lightning and let the player go to town with the melee button. name would either be Lightning Throw (Flash), or Shock-Punch (Thor).
    • Electric Shield: Get rid of this entirely. It doesn't belong with a character meant for speed. Instead, replace this one of two attacks, both Flash-related. The first option is a multi-punch attack. volt zips to an opponent, unleashes a fury of (what seems to be) a few punches, kicks, etc., which either kills or depletes an enemy of a lot of health. the other option is simply phasing. obviously, you don't want Volt falling thru the floor. with phasing, Volt is able to pass thru enemies, allies, doors (ones you can already go thru normally) without notice to other entities. He would also be invisible to enemies and scanners, so no door barriers would stop him. I have no names chosen for either.
    • Discharge: While I know that this ability could technically be used as a Thor-like move, I would either change it up or replace it. The change I would make would be that I would have Volt slam his fists into the ground, sending a wave of electricity outward in a certain radius. You could also use this ability after jumping in the air, causing Volt to slam his melee weapon into the ground to send out the wave. The other option is to do a staple move in the Flash TV series: the sonic Punch. This move would deplete all of Volt's energy, and in return, Volt would run all the way back to the start of the map, then sprint back to the enemy you're targeting and punch them, creating a shock-wave and instantly killing them. This would only deplete a lot of health on the enemy if they are a boss entity.

2. Loki-Abilities to change: Radial Disarm

• Reason for change: Loki is obviously supposed to be based off the titular trickster god, so his first three abilities make sense and work well save for Invisibility, which just needs a duration increase.
  • The big change: To capitalize on being a trickster.
    • Radial Disarm: With over 20 unique Warframes to use, each of their abilities should be unique, and unique to those Frames, making each one pivotal to almost any given situation. So, when I see two Warframes that have two identical abilities, I get a bit miffed. Both Loki and Mesa have an ability that jams the enemies guns, thus forcing them to use their melee weapons. This makes sense for Mesa, as this would give her an advantage with her ranged weapons. However, I fail to see how a Warframe literally built to make a mockery of the enemy would need an ability to jam weapons. So, I would replace that ability with this: Ability Swap. To borrow a power from an alien species called the Skrulls, who were able to change their appearance at will to mimic the look of another person/creature as well as any abilities they may posses. So, Ability Swap would work as this: Once activated, all four of Loki's abilities switch to a random Warframe's abilities, all maxed out. During this time, his energy would drain at a steady rate, so Loki would be able to use these abilities until his energy is depleted. This ability could be amped up further by physically changing Loki to the Warframe he is mimicking the abilities of.

3. Chroma-Abilities to change: N/A

• Reason for change: Chroma is the combination of four parts, one from each of the elemental Warframes, so it makes sense that his abilities should use the combinations of each part's element. 
  • All abilities would remain the same.
    • The big thing that would happen is that Chroma's four abilities would not change essentially, but the elements that you are using would be different. for example, Chroma's first ability would have Blast Damage rather than the individual ice or fire attack (or poison or electricity). Obviously the other ablities would work similarly. Although i have my ideas, i would ultimately leave it to DE.

4. Nyx-Abilities to change: All

• Reason for change: Three abilities need tweaking, one needs replacement; Nyx has no offensive abilities, which can hinder game-play when playing solo.
  • The big change: Modernizing traditional psychic powers
    • Mind Control: I know I was adamant about saying that Warframes should be unique in their abilities, and I stand by that. And I know that people will tell me that both Nyx and Revenant have the same ability. However, I like how they both differ, and it makes them feel unique. What I want to change would help to span that uniqueness. Instead of Nyx only being able to control one sole enemy, I think she should be able to control  multiple, but only ones in a certain vicinity/radius. basically, when activated, only enemies within a certain range are affected and swayed; no one else. Keep the timer on this ability, and increase the range every time Nyx or her ability ranks up. 
    • Psychic Bolts: Honestly, get rid of this ability. Don't worry, I have two good reasons for saying this. The first is that it's redundant and unnecessary. The best time that you're able to use it is when you use Chaos, in which the enemies turn on each other. Psychic Bolts is SUPPOSED to make them shoot more accurately, but they are accurate enough that it's pointless. My second reason is that Nyx has no offensive abilities in her arsenal. I see this as a huge down side because this limits on how much or how often Nyx can move while using her current abilities; especially if you look at her fourth one. To replace PB, I would give her the ability called Psychic tether. basically, the ability allows Nyx to use her mind to tether a few enemies and fling them around or slam them into objects or other enemies. I feel like this would allow Nyx users some freedom to move around and attack while still having more usefulness other than being a good tank in Defense missions. 
Edited by (XB1)HoneyxBadger113
This list will be incomplete until i am next available.

9 hours ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

Volt-Abilities to change: Static Discharge, Electric Shield, Discharge

I think your analysis here is off.

1. You claim DE wanted him to be like Flash, except his abilities are nothing like Flash. Then you go an specifically take a tecnique from the Flash and encourage giving it to Volt. The Flash has to run around before throwing lightning because he has to build up the speed force. Volt literally just generates it from his body so he doesn't need that.

2. You want to get rid of his shield in place of more Flash themed skills because you say he's "meant for speed". He has 1 ability that boosts speed for him and his allies, and 3 that shoot electricity. It sounds like he's meant for electricity, and speed is a pleasant side effect...Not the other way around.

3. He doesn't need to slam his weapon down...he doesn't have Mjolnir. He's not a comic book hero!

You clearly want a different frame, since you're not updating an existing frame but overhauling their theme entirely, so I would recommend using this information to create a new warframe concept under the appropriate forum.

He should have a modernization rework, but changing him to a phasing, speed force channeling speedster from DC comics is just wrong. Also, you should try out Gauss...he seems more your interest.

Loki-Ability to change: Radial Disarm

First, it's generally a faux pas on the forums to criticize Loki, so expect backlash. But he should get a modernization rework since he's kinda gimmicky and in 99% of the game most of his kit can be completely ignored in place of his Invisibility and Operator usage.

Clearly, you are a big comic book fan. I actually like the concept for your ability rework but I'm not sure it's appropriate for him.

I'm also not entirely sure it's practical since frames have different specialties and aren't always best equipped for every mission on their abilities alone, and you wouldn't be modded optimally for your playstyle with the transformed frame. Randomly transforming into a Saryn in a Spy mission wouldn't be very helpful, especially since it overwrites your ability to use invisibility. It shouldn't be a roulette where you have to keep your fingers crossed that you aren't using up your energy to become something less useful for the situation than yourself.

Chroma-Ability to change: N/A

He definitely needs a rework. He's just a one-trick pony that happens to do the only 2 necessary for almost all end-game here (all in one ability): boosts damage, boosts survivability.

Edited by (PS4)Ozymandias-13-

10 hours ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

I think your analysis here is off.

1. You claim DE wanted him to be like Flash, except his abilities are nothing like Flash. Then you go an specifically take a tecnique from the Flash and encourage giving it to Volt. The Flash has to run around before throwing lightning because he has to build up the speed force. Volt literally just generates it from his body so he doesn't need that.

2. You want to get rid of his shield in place of more Flash themed skills because you say he's "meant for speed". He has 1 ability that boosts speed for him and his allies, and 3 that shoot electricity. It sounds like he's meant for electricity, and speed is a pleasant side effect...Not the other way around.

3. He doesn't need to slam his weapon down...he doesn't have Mjolnir. He's not a comic book hero!

You clearly want a different frame, since you're not updating an existing frame but overhauling their theme entirely, so I would recommend using this information to create a new warframe concept under the appropriate forum.

He should have a modernization rework, but changing him to a phasing, speed force channeling speedster from DC comics is just wrong. Also, you should try out Gauss...he seems more your interest.

First, it's generally a faux pas on the forums to criticize Loki, so expect backlash. But he should get a modernization rework since he's kinda gimmicky and in 99% of the game most of his kit can be completely ignored in place of his Invisibility and Operator usage.

Clearly, you are a big comic book fan. I actually like the concept for your ability rework but I'm not sure it's appropriate for him.

I'm also not entirely sure it's practical since frames have different specialties and aren't always best equipped for every mission on their abilities alone, and you wouldn't be modded optimally for your playstyle with the transformed frame. Randomly transforming into a Saryn in a Spy mission wouldn't be very helpful, especially since it overwrites your ability to use invisibility. It shouldn't be a roulette where you have to keep your fingers crossed that you aren't using up your energy to become something less useful for the situation than yourself.

He definitely needs a rework. He's just a one-trick pony that happens to do the only 2 necessary for almost all end-game here (all in one ability): boosts damage, boosts survivability.

Overall: Although I don't see any foul language or anything, i do detect hostility in your language. If you disagree with me, please say "I respect your ideas, however, i disagree with these things," and then please list what you disagree with.

Volt: You've answered a couple of your trifles already. Volt has two abilities reminiscent of Flash: Static Discharge and Speed. Both throw lightning and run fast with a trail of electricity. I'm simply stating that instead of a boring swing of his arm, Volt could run around enemies and then toss his lightning like the Flash; Even though his shtick is electricity itself, he's still one of the two Frames literally built for speed. His speed stacks when you add mods that increase reload speed, attack speed, etc. and he has an ability that allows him to run fairly quickly on his own. Giving Volt a shield seems like something that would slow him down rather than keep up the fast pace; To refer back to the first things we talked about, I'm wanting animations to be added to make Volt seem like he has more pizzazz. As you stated, Volt is a frame built around electricity, so I feel confused as to why when I give an ability a more updated way to do the same thing, you're against it. His electricity isn't going away, so I would've assumed you would be ok with it; I'm mostly just working with similarities between the Frames and any counterparts they may have outside of the game that I know of. I'm using the Frames' counterparts to introduce a new way to play (Phasing could make it easier to do spy missions) or helping out players in difficult situations (Extremely difficult boss fights in sorties and such would be slightly easier thanks to Sonic Punch). And no, Gauss is not in my interest. That's dealing with a different speedster.

Loki: I don't understand why anyone would attack me for including Loki. I'm not changing anything fundamental. In fact, I'm adding something to him to make him complete; Actually, i don't read Thor comics, as I have no interest in that character. My inspiration was from the movies, and thus, I had the idea; Actually, the reason why I think he needs the rework because as of late, I've found the game to be rather tedious and practically boring. So to add a bit of fun, I would work in an ability for Loki that changes the game for your enemies as well as the player. The player is now in unknown territory, which would probably add a little extra flare to the tediousness of the copy-and-pate missions. plus, you could even make games out of it. I wish you didn't use spy missions as your example though, as i fail to see why you'd use his fourth ability in one rather than just using the other 3.

Chroma: Yeah. This one was pretty easy to figure out what he should do.

Il y a 20 heures, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 a dit :

2. Loki-Ability to change: Radial Disarm

• So, I would replace that ability with this: Ability Swap.

il y a une heure, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 a dit :

Why? As I said, this is only an exercise, and if you kept reading, you would see which ability I would change to male him the best he could be.

I read it, now and before. You don't want to "add" something to your fourth ability. You want to totally replace it with a completely different skill.

20 hours ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

This list will be in order from most needing to be optimized to least needing:

1. Volt-Abilities to change: Static Discharge, Electric Shield, Discharge

• Spoiler

• Reason for change: Seemed like the Devs wanted to give Volt a power set similar to popular electric-powered super heroes with the first two abilities, but then backtracked heavily in the second two. (The superheroes are Flash and Thor) 
    • The big change: to capitalize on the superhero aspect.
      • Static Discharge: While I have nothing against this ability, after seeing people use it, I feel like it's lackluster. Volt just swings his arm and throws electricity at an enemy. I would update this attack so that it worked one of two ways. the first way is to get Volt to go Flash. Volt would zip over to the nearest enemy, circle around them in an electric blur, stop, and then throw an arc of electricity at the enemy, stunning them. The other way this could this could change would be go melee style like with Thor. Volt would surge his body with lightning, then either do a series of punches, swings,and kicks at the target, or just power himself up with his lightning and let the player go to town with the melee button. name would either be Lightning Throw (Flash), or Shock-Punch (Thor).
      • Electric Shield: Get rid of this entirely. It doesn't belong with a character meant for speed. Instead, replace this one of two attacks, both Flash-related. The first option is a multi-punch attack. volt zips to an opponent, unleashes a fury of (what seems to be) a few punches, kicks, etc., which either kills or depletes an enemy of a lot of health. the other option is simply phasing. obviously, you don't want Volt falling thru the floor. with phasing, Volt is able to pass thru enemies, allies, doors (ones you can already go thru normally) without notice to other entities. He would also be invisible to enemies and scanners, so no door barriers would stop him. I have no names chosen for either.
      • Discharge: While I know that this ability could technically be used as a Thor-like move, I would either change it up or replace it. The change I would make would be that I would have Volt slam his fists into the ground, sending a wave of electricity outward in a certain radius. You could also use this ability after jumping in the air, causing Volt to slam his melee weapon into the ground to send out the wave. The other option is to do a staple move in the Flash TV series: the sonic Punch. This move would deplete all of Volt's energy, and in return, Volt would run all the way back to the start of the map, then sprint back to the enemy you're targeting and punch them, creating a shock-wave and instantly killing them. This would only deplete a lot of health on the enemy if they are a boss entity.

•  

.. First of 2, let me remind you that this isn't in the Marvel/DC Universe... This is Warframe...

And the second of the 2:

20 hours ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

Volt-Abilities

You have something now that exists solely for speed. Its even a caricature of Speed-Running...

... Maybe you've heard about it? its called GAUSS...

Volt never was "meant for speed". Volt is electricity, therefore its called VOLT... And despite the fact that Flash is depicted with a lightning bolt, electricity generated by the Flash is nothing more than a byproduct of his excessive speed. Volt generates electricity by existing, doesn't matter what he's doing.

Edited by Uhkretor
  • Like 1

Really only able to comment on volt as he is my most used, he does not need radical changes. All of his abilities function and work consistently.  His only real issue is his 1 is kind of made redundant by his 4. Giving his 1 sometching his 4 can't do by default would be a great change.

His other issues are all general balance issues. Shields need more bulk in general, if your frame relies on shields for survivability your viability goes out the window after awhile. Unless you're like volt and you have a survival ability.

Electricity is simply a bad damage type. There is no reason to proc electricity over another element and it has bad resistance values. If his element gets buffed in someway he'll be among the best dps characters when it comes to ability damage.

In spite of those issues he is still among the top most played warframes.

Edited by Ohmlink

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-11-11 at 5:44 PM, Uhkretor said:

.. First of 2, let me remind you that this isn't in the Marvel/DC Universe... This is Warframe...

And the second of the 2:

You have something now that exists solely for speed. Its even a caricature of Speed-Running...

... Maybe you've heard about it? its called GAUSS...

Volt never was "meant for speed". Volt is electricity, therefore its called VOLT... And despite the fact that Flash is depicted with a lightning bolt, electricity generated by the Flash is nothing more than a byproduct of his excessive speed. Volt generates electricity by existing, doesn't matter what he's doing.

I'm not trying to make it like Cinema. there's this newfangled thing called "taking inspiration." Yes, the abilities are from two superheroes, but I think they do a better job of working with Volt that the current abilities.

Explain to me how electricity and lightning form a shield that you can hide behind for hours. Also, there are other Frames that either copy or do the same thing as a different Frame. Why is THIS the special case?

On 2019-11-12 at 10:58 AM, Costanzafaust said:

Sorry, I stopped reading when I saw 'delete Volt's Energy Shield', 🙄 however, I still wanted to point out that this is not a correct use of the 'megathread' tag.

If you don't agree with what I'm talking about, then don't. I stated at the begging that this is an exercise, and something i'm doing for fun. I'm simply stating what i would change, and what to. personally, I don't see how going from throwing lightning and running fast should go to making a shield. But, that's me.

I'm expecting to have a large thread of comments, which i assume is the point of using "Megathread."

1 hour ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

Explain to me how electricity and lightning form a shield that you can hide behind for hours. Also, there are other Frames that either copy or do the same thing as a different Frame. Why is THIS the special case?

... you want a scientific explanation or something along the "common sense"?

Just now, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

Both. I thought my "yes" was obvious.

Your "yes" was as obvious as white paint on an invisible wall.

Scientific explanation - Short area polarization and magnetization of air molecular components allow for complete control of molecular distribution. Since those are effectively "charged", the molecules create electrical arcs from one molecule to the next, effectively creating a shield. Since its impossible to polarize one side without polarizing the other, a "tunnel" is created through the shield, allowing projectiles and ammunition to pass from one of the sides while the other side effectively blocks pretty much everything thrown at it.

Common Sense explanation - Because DE said so. And that's pretty much what you need to know since Warframe is their product, not yours.

.... I would stick with the Scientific explanation. Its a lot more shiny, and science fiction, than the other one until someone actually proves the theory.

19 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

Your "yes" was as obvious as white paint on an invisible wall.

Scientific explanation - Short area polarization and magnetization of air molecular components allow for complete control of molecular distribution. Since those are effectively "charged", the molecules create electrical arcs from one molecule to the next, effectively creating a shield. Since its impossible to polarize one side without polarizing the other, a "tunnel" is created through the shield, allowing projectiles and ammunition to pass from one of the sides while the other side effectively blocks pretty much everything thrown at it.

Common Sense explanation - Because DE said so. And that's pretty much what you need to know since Warframe is their product, not yours.

.... I would stick with the Scientific explanation. Its a lot more shiny, and science fiction, than the other one until someone actually proves the theory.

First, your metaphor is terrible. It wouldn't matter what color you used on a wall, as it would then be colored, and why does it have to be invisible specifically. Also, it suggests that my "yes" was obvious as to what it was referring to to, but you specifically asked me what I had meant. Please make sure that your own house is in order next time.

For your scientific answer, I believe it's flawed as I think you are describing conductive materials and not electricity. Electricity is the movement of supercharged ions and electrons moving to it's polar opposite. That's how lightning and batteries work. Also, if it did make a one-way tunnel, then Warframes would not be able to walk thru it both ways.

For your common sense answer, sure it's their game, but how do you explain Tennogen stuff, or the fact that they thank the community for the ideas and feedback on the game. If they truly didn't care for ideas outside of their studio, you wouldn't have most of the stuff that's now implemented in the game. I also think you're purposefully ignoring the point that I made about how this was just an excercise and is not really supposed to be taken seriously. I'm just stating some changes that I think would be great.

Edited by (XB1)HoneyxBadger113

35 minutes ago, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

First, your metaphor is terrible. It wouldn't matter what color you used on a wall, as it would then be colored, and why does it have to be invisible specifically.

Actually, it fits since you didn't ask what the order was, but I'll let you in on it anyway. First its painted white, and then turned invisible... See? Irrelevant if its painted or not, like your "yes" that you previously mentioned.

Please make sure that your own house is in order next time.

It always is. People seem to think its not, to their mistake.

For your scientific answer, I believe it's flawed as I think you are describing conductive materials and not electricity.

"Conductivity" is a side effect caused between the interaction of electricity on any given material, which is why materials can be classified as either "conductive" or "non-conductive".

Electricity is the movement of supercharged ions and electrons moving to it's polar opposite. That's how lightning and batteries work.

Yep, common sense dictates it... See what I did here?

Also, if it did make a one-way tunnel, then Warframes would not be able to walk thru it both ways.

If the projectile carries the same "electrical charge signature" as the source, it can be thrown without being affected by it. If it doesn't, then its blocked. If the source moves, the "protection area" moves with it.

Which is why projectiles and ammunition fired from a Volt user carry Electrical Damage. Why does it happen with other Warframes when they're firing behind the shield, like Volt? Because they gained the same "electrical charge signature" that Volt has. They don't gain Volt's passive, but they can go back and forth through Volt's shield and fire weapons through it.

Why Volt's shield is deployable and carried by other Warframes? ... Overcharged to maintain it without connection to the source? Honestly, that particularity was a gimmick added to shut people up about it. I see it as a useless one, but I don't main Volt. I have a recruit that does, and even him doesn't deploy his shield whenever he uses it. As to why they can be carried by other Warframes, most likely because its collecting "residual" shield energy to maintain its structure, like Amps collect and amplify residual Void energy from an Operator's body.

how do you explain Tennogen stuff

You mean the "privilege of adding specific non-DE content added as skins"? I couldn't care less about it even though its a gold mine.

or the fact that they thank the community for the ideas and feedback on the game.

The wrong and moronic feedback that they choose to hear, while ignoring sound Feedback given by the more intelligent side of the Warframe community? That's why we've spent a few months with a broken Melee system, or Solar Rail Conflicts being removed... or Raids being invented... or Conclave...

... I could be pointing out many more, but I think you've got the picture by now.

If they truly didn't care for ideas outside of their studio, you wouldn't have most of the stuff that's now implemented in the game.

They've had the Nightwave system ready before Plains of Eidolon was released the first time, with Relay Reconstruction system in place, with Cetus and Fortuna created, Orb Vallis being developed, and Railjack being brought to its first moments of life...

They have all the stuff already, the reason why they keep releasing the stuff one by one is to have the system refined and its not due to player feedback. Its due to the telemetry and metrics that they have in place to provide solid information, because player feedback is fickle AF. Its even more fickle than fixing some bugs and unearthing even more bugs in the process. So, as you see, they don't need player ideas, they simply welcome it as a small complement of their own.

I also think you're purposefully ignoring the point that I made about how this was just an excercise and is not really supposed to be taken seriously. I'm just stating some changes that I think would be great.

On 2019-11-11 at 2:47 AM, (XB1)HoneyxBadger113 said:

This is just a fun exercise that I thought would be a neat thing to do

No one did, and you were unsuccessful at it. On that note...

... Exercise complete.

You can go home now, the gym's closed for the day.

Edited by Uhkretor