[DE]Danielle

(Switch) The Old Blood: Update 26.0.8 Status - Live!

There will be the usual weekly Nintendo stream tonight isn't it? Maybe we'll get the answer for this update DE-lay over there.

...also, no Fomorian despite the progress gauge is already full for a while.

I'm not even surprised that there is no Fomorian right now.

The only thing that's actually working on switch is nightwave, nothing else.

Considering we still have the picture of Wukong prime acces when we start the game... 

My hypothesis on the delay is that the update on switch contains a lot of (long-awaited) fixes that possibly:

1. Make it bulkier (in terms of size and things to certify) 

2. May not be handled by DE but by panic button. 

Not sure though. 

2 minutes ago, (NSW)Faerwald said:

My hypothesis on the delay is that the update on switch contains a lot of (long-awaited) fixes that possibly:

1. Make it bulkier (in terms of size and things to certify) 

2. May not be handled by DE but by panic button. 

Not sure though. 

OH come on. We all remember that update that broke every textures in the game and that passed cert in less than a week? So how can this one be so much different? 

A broken update was live in less that a week. 1 week!

They took 2 weeks to fix the old blood on pc so now it's just no effort

2 hours ago, (NSW)Lorkhan said:

OH come on. We all remember that update that broke every textures in the game and that passed cert in less than a week? So how can this one be so much different? 

PC and console are diffrent plataforms with different requirements.

I assume it's because they are including some graph update to the game with Old Blood, and trying to make it work on Switch and not break every texture again

I'm petty sure the cert process has nothing to do with how buggy the game is and is really just to make sure the update doesn't brick peoples switches or introduce vulnerabilities, like for hacking etc 

Edited by (NSW)Eclectics
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, (NSW)Lorkhan said:

Cert don't check for in-game bugs.

Cert check for game-console interaction, things like parental control or adultness icons etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, (NSW)Eclectics said:

I'm petty sure the cert process has nothing to do with how buggy the game is and is really just to make sure the update doesn't brick peoples switches or introduce vulnerabilities, like for hacking etc 

Exactly

23 minutes ago, (NSW)Klaist said:

It almost certainly has something to do with the game going over 20GB.

why should it? i mean there are plenty of Games on the Switch which are even bigger. L.A. Noire is about 27GB big. so i dont think it has something to do with the size. maybe they just dont had enough time or other problems. dont know.

• Applause 1

3 hours ago, (NSW)Kokojo said:

PC and console are diffrent plataforms with different requirements.

I assume it's because they are including some graph update to the game with Old Blood, and trying to make it work on Switch and not break every texture again

Oh don't joke about that. Last time they brought a graphical update exclusively for the Switch it was a major disaster. Saint of Altra made the game gorgeous and shiny again with the upgrades for all platforms, the graphics should be left as they are and that's more than excellent. Except fixing bugs, of course, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about major revamps or remasters. Btw, when I read "remaster" written at the first post I had the "this-is-gonna-be-a-mess" shiver lol

The fact that it’s already Wednesday and still no update, it’ll probably come next week. So sad tbh. The more I wait, the less enthused I am with this update. 

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, (NSW)Skyress said:

With such a long cert process, I hope the update will come on Switch without bugs haha

Thats hoping to much. 

If this update finally arrives (By next Christmas maybe??) it's just going to be full of bugs. Even with 1 whole month they won't give us a bug free update. 

And that is only if we finally get the update. Considering they can't even give us the prime vault. 

4 hours ago, (NSW)RyuuSouru said:

why should it? i mean there are plenty of Games on the Switch which are even bigger. L.A. Noire is about 27GB big. so i dont think it has something to do with the size. maybe they just dont had enough time or other problems. dont know.

LA Noire isn't a live service game that gets regular updates though. 

1 hour ago, (NSW)Lorkhan said:

Thats hoping to much. 

If this update finally arrives (By next Christmas maybe??) it's just going to be full of bugs. Even with 1 whole month they won't give us a bug free update. 

And that is only if we finally get the update. Considering they can't even give us the prime vault. 

We will get the update, I assume by the end of the month, but yeah, I agree that hoping for a bug-free update on Switch is asking too much.
PoE and Fortuna has been filled with textures, rendering, FPS, enemy spawns and loading bugs since Switch launch (or in case of Fortuna, it's implementation) and as we can see, every update fixes 1 minior thing and bring 2 major with it.

8 hours ago, (NSW)Eclectics said:

Exactly, and probably why Switch cert tends to take the longest. Reading this thread I can say that most people really don't understand how the cert process works, or even how game patches are handled on consoles at all.

On 2019-11-20 at 3:08 AM, (NSW)Kadet said:

It would depend on how its coded.  From a high-level viewpoint, if someone chose "no optional content", then their game has no reason to load those optional resources.  Things like syndanas/helmets/skins/etc that have no functional impact don't have to be loaded/rendered, because they don't effect the game logic.  So no, the game doesn't necessarily have to have identical resources to function the same.  But that would have to be an option DE would implement.

This is a little long but please bare with me :). Yes, from high-level viewpoint it is fairly possible to do this. You might just see a checkbox that says "no optional content" before installing the game and pooff its magically handled but there are a lot of things going on the background and  considerations to be made. Here are some things that I can think about.

1. What if you change your mind and want to get a syndana/helmets/etc in game? Would you able to?
    - Yes: Then this propose a problem like how would you able to see it if you choose "no content".
    - No: Then also a problem how would you get it if can't purchase it in-game ? DLC? Nah, this means changing how the resource of the game works to all platforms. Which does takes a long time.
2. Resource file structure and folder structure will be affected. For example syndanas are included on file1.game and helmets are on file2.game but file1.game and file2.game has a mixed of weapons and warframes. This means DE needs to create a specific file1.game and file2.game which doesn't include contents.
3. Which brings to this problem, maintaining multiple versions of the game can introduce multiple major and minor bugs which we and DE don't want to happen. Also this takes a manpower to do it.
4. Now going to loading the default if no content is downloaded. Uhmm it's possible by re-coding on how the skins load I guess but it takes time and can introduce major and minor bugs again. Also one of the reason why skins are shown to other players is because you want it to show it to them. What's the point of buying skins if other players has an option not to see it?

Well as I said it's possible to do it but they choose not to because there's a lot to consider and it can affect the whole game not just on switch. In the future if they have added the content then they may had come to solution on how to deal with those but right now I think  DE don't have time to do it as they are more focused on the feature releases that can be released in the next months and years.

PS. Aside from the list I provided there are some that I haven't able to include like how would affect the code itself because I don't know how DE code it. A single semi-colon(";") can crush the whole game if it wasn't spotted early.