Jump to content
  • 0
LeviathanMusic

Lag when game is up for a while

Question

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but for some reason my game starts lagging when the game has been up for a few hours. When I start my game everything is really smooth (my monitor only allows 75 FPS), but once it has been up for long enough I start getting really bad stutters every few seconds that usually last for a second or two. It doesn't seem to matter what my graphics are set to, but I usually play on medium settings (with motion blur/depth of field off). At first I thought it was because of background programs, cause I usually have a browser open to listen to music, but I found that it still does it even with nothing noteworthy on in the background.

I'll show some specs here but I'm not super good with computers so if I miss anything important please let me know.

OS: Windows 10 (64-Bit)

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

RAM: 8 GB

Anyone know what I can do about this? It's really annoying to have to restart the game if I've been playing for a long period of time. Any help is greatly appreciated. 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Not a PC player, but ex-IT. It sounds to me like it could be an overheating problem with either the CPU or the graphics card. I'd suggest running some monitoring software like OpenHardwareMonitor to keep an eye on the temperatures and see if they are getting towards limits.

Failing that, are you running an SSD or HDD? If you have an HDD there could be something else tying up the disk, although with 8GB RAM I wouldn't expect this to be an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 minutes ago, LeviathanMusic said:

It's really annoying to have to restart the game if I've been playing for a long period of time.

It could be a Memory Leak or similar. How long are you leaving it up for at a time? (approx) Have a look and see what your RAM usage is when you load into you ship, then have a look again after an hour or two. Make sure you check this in the Task Manager Processes tab (Warframe). If it has gone up by a significant amount that could be your problem.

  • Verify and Optimize the Download Cache in the launcher if you continue to have issues. This can fix some problems.

It could also be thermal issues. Find some software to monitor this and see how it goes. You should not be reaching temperatures of 95°C+. If you are, that could also be a contributing factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, (PS4)crashteddy03 said:

Not a PC player, but ex-IT. It sounds to me like it could be an overheating problem with either the CPU or the graphics card. I'd suggest running some monitoring software like OpenHardwareMonitor to keep an eye on the temperatures and see if they are getting towards limits.

Failing that, are you running an SSD or HDD? If you have an HDD there could be something else tying up the disk, although with 8GB RAM I wouldn't expect this to be an issue.

I have an HDD. Which now that I think about it, it does tend to use 100% of my disk whenever I'm opening or closing programs. Don't know if that's normal or not though.

4 hours ago, krc473 said:

It could be a Memory Leak or similar. How long are you leaving it up for at a time? (approx) Have a look and see what your RAM usage is when you load into you ship, then have a look again after an hour or two. Make sure you check this in the Task Manager Processes tab (Warframe). If it has gone up by a significant amount that could be your problem.

  • Verify and Optimize the Download Cache in the launcher if you continue to have issues. This can fix some problems.

It could also be thermal issues. Find some software to monitor this and see how it goes. You should not be reaching temperatures of 95°C+. If you are, that could also be a contributing factor.

So after 4 hours of playing the game it didn't even end up lagging that much this time (of course it wouldn't do it once I'm actually monitoring it). The temperature seemed fine. It never got any higher than 75°C and it usually stayed within the 60 to 70 range. The RAM usage did seem to increase over time though. Once I first opened the game my PC was using about 60% and by the end of it it was using about 75%. But like I said, I'm not super good with computers so I don't really know what to do with this info. There were a few stutters by the end but it was nothing compared to how it normally is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 minutes ago, LeviathanMusic said:

I have an HDD. Which now that I think about it, it does tend to use 100% of my disk whenever I'm opening or closing programs. Don't know if that's normal or not though.

It's been a while since I used a machine with "spinning rust", but yes that can be normal.

5 minutes ago, LeviathanMusic said:

So after 4 hours of playing the game it didn't even end up lagging that much this time (of course it wouldn't do it once I'm actually monitoring it). The temperature seemed fine. It never got any higher than 75°C and it usually stayed within the 60 to 70 range. The RAM usage did seem to increase over time though. Once I first opened the game my PC was using about 60% and by the end of it it was using about 75%. But like I said, I'm not super good with computers so I don't really know what to do with this info. There were a few stutters by the end but it was nothing compared to how it normally is.

Ah, Murphys Law - when you're actually watching to see what goes wrong nothing will. RAM usage is a bit more interesting in Windows 10 as it preloads whatever it thinks will be necessary which artificially inflates usage. You might be better to use Resource Monitor (Resmon) to view memory usage. You're looking for the "In Use" total on the Memory tab. If that is approaching your total RAM (in this case 8GB) then you may have an issue. Note that both "Standby" and "Free" values are considered available, even though "Standby" memory is technically in use (hard to explain here but there are some good articles on Win 10 Memory management available).

Aha!!  A quick google of your CPU shows that it has a max rated temp of 72.6°C - it could be starting to clock down at that temp. I note that's a pretty old CPU (I run a laptop of the same generation) so I'd be checking to see how much dust is in the heatsink. A quick blast with some compressed air may just do the trick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...