Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Projectile Rework for less bullS#&$e difficulty

weeaboopotato

Armor scaling is wack and literally no frames besides tanks and frames with tanking abilities can survive in higher content without popping like a balloon. Everyone's talking about fixing armor scaling and enemy AI, which is only part of the problem. Literallly almost every enemy has hitscan weapons that are nearly undodgeable. Which makes no sense due to how hyper mobile we already are. Same can be said for us since the enemies can shoot us with storms of bullets and we'd somehow survive and oneshot them with weapons with no travel time. Then we complain about difficulty afterwords. Which to be fair with our current projectile system, it makes everything utter bullS#&$e. So here are my suggestions to fixing part of the problem.

Suggestions

First we need to make the projectile speed of enemy projectiles slower and somewhat dodgeable with an indicator as well. Not super slow like in the matrix but just slowed down just a bit to where its dodgeable with quick reaction times. 

Second make the enemies hit even harder. This is so if you die, it is actually your fault for not being able to dodge quick enough. 

Third make the enemies with hit scan projectiles have an indicator that is actually noticeable. 

Lastly make the eximus, nullifiers, the arbitration drones, and mini boss units more noticeable. I cant stress this enough, eximus units and aura units in general are the last thing any player wants to deal with. So what do we usually do when sometime f's us up. We kill it.

These changes aren't to turn Warframe into a cover shooter but to make the game more fair and to allow DE to make the game more harder but also rewarding. Cause then the player would have to actually dodge and dying would be the players actual fault.

• Like 3

1 + 2 I can very much get behind: I think Warframe's gone kind of astray in making us rely on raw durability and damage reduction steroids, when our core intended defense is our mobility, which I consider much more interesting. Making projectiles slow enough for us to properly dodge I think would go a long way towards achieving that, and would justify their high damage when we get hit.

As for enemies with hit scan projectiles, the problem is that almost the entire Grineer faction uses hitscan weapons, bar a few exceptions. Because of this, and their RNG accuracy that lets them hit us even at high levels, it's essentially impossible to defend against Grineer using mobility alone. I'd personally propose to make their weapons shoot projectiles, even if they'd be faster than those of the Corpus, but also have such poor accuracy that we can't get hit at all if we're constantly on the move.

While I think Nullifiers are visible enough thanks to their bubbles, I completely agree that Energy drain units need some sort of rework that a) makes them much more visible, and b) prevents their aura from applying through walls. I'm generally not a fan of enemies with auras, and I'd rather get rid of those entirely, but making those enemies more easily recognizable among the crowd would be the next best thing.

Finally, I think there are a few more points worth bringing up for why mobility-as-defense doesn't work:

• Many tilesets are far too constricted for us to be able to parkour properly, or at all, such that Warframe inevitably turns into a corridor shooter at those stages, which forces us to rely on raw durability to survive. Thankfully, the more recent tilesets and updates we've got are far more open, a trend I hope will extend to all older tilesets.
  • Many of our abilities still lock us in rigid, movement-stopping animations, which leave us forcibly exposed to enemy fire. I think we need a comprehensive pass on our ability casting that ensures we can parkour, shoot and cast freely, with few to no interruptions.
  • There's a lot of cheap enemy CC that has accumulated over time which removes all control from our frames, a death sentence for squishy frames at higher levels. I think we should get rid of hard CC entirely on enemies, particularly since the hordes of enemies we deal with tend to cause that CC to turn spammy on occasion. It's fine for us to get slowed, or even to have some abilities selectively disabled, but hard-countering us by outright removing our agency I think is a cheap mechanic that doesn't really offer us difficulty, so much as more arbitrary deaths and losses.

On 2019-11-16 at 3:52 AM, Teridax68 said:

There's a lot of cheap enemy CC that has accumulated over time which removes all control from our frames, a death sentence for squishy frames at higher levels. I think we should get rid of hard CC entirely on enemies, particularly since the hordes of enemies we deal with tend to cause that CC to turn spammy on occasion. It's fine for us to get slowed, or even to have some abilities selectively disabled, but hard-countering us by outright removing our agency I think is a cheap mechanic that doesn't really offer us difficulty, so much as more arbitrary deaths and losses.

I think what they should do is make that hard cc more dodgeable or makes the enemy more visible by adding markers that indicates when something like a bomb is about to happen like in paladins and destiny as my point still stands and well since the maps are a bit more closed it is still possible to dodge in those maps with mobility especially with the new tactical dodge. You also have to bare in mind that we're also gods that can wipe entire crowds with a single click of a button so even if there isnt any room to move around we if you well optimized you can make room yourself by clearing enemies. Its not a perfect solution but it helps in somewhat.

On 2019-11-16 at 10:16 PM, (PS4)Tomplexthis said:

Hitscan rng. Try fortuna at tier 4 alarms against lv100+ enemies. You dont even see what kills you. But regardless of the frame. You get shot 1 time. Even as inaros. But what about infinite stagger and knockdown repetition spam?

Make that dodgeable and add markers that notify us of their presence when theres a grenade nearby or if an enemy is about to perform a big action. The fortuna part also proves why projectiles need a rework.