Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Umbral Mods] Why doesn't Umbral Redirection exist?

Chroia

I know that pure shields are the worst survivability stat atm, but hopefully DE will overhaul Damage 2.0 and the various scaling-s, and that will hopefully let it compete, eventually.

So, for completeness sake, for future-proofing, and for frames like Mag, Hildryn and Harrow: Why doesn't Umbral Redirection exist?

4 minutes ago, Chroia said:

I know that pure shields are the worst survivability stat atm, but hopefully DE will overhaul Damage 2.0 and the various scaling-s, and that will hopefully let it compete, eventually.

So, for completeness sake, for future-proofing, and for frames like Mag, Hildryn and Harrow: Why doesn't Umbral Redirection exist?

Because Umbra does no use shield, Umbral mod were ment to be for Umbra Excalibur but other can use them too, since excalibur is the only umbra as of now and doesnt need shield mods there is no Umbral redirection. Maybe it will exist if Mag umbra becomes a thing but for the time being there is no reason for it

• Like 6

@OP I get Redirection on Hildryn, but why put shield on frames that can easily generate overshield ?

Vitality would be preferable against toxic and slash procs

Especially on Harrow who's a good healer, he would benefit more from Vitality

1 hour ago, GruntBlender said:

I don't think it makes sense to get umbral versions of frames that get prime ones. Maybe for ones where prime doesn't make sense, like nidus.

Every frame can and will be Primed. Excal P does exist, so this idea has no basis.

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

Every frame can and will be Primed. Excal P does exist, so this idea has no basis.

Excalibur prime doesn't count since it's exclusive. There's no point having both a prime and an umbra, since one of them will be better, making the other one mastery fodder. Most frames have primes, so making umbra inferior defeats the purpose of introducing it. Making umbra better negates the value of unvaulting packs and prime access, so that sure as heck isn't happening. The only compromise is making some frames prime and others umbra, which also makes sense from the lore perspective. Sentient focused frames like revenant are great candidates.

11 hours ago, GruntBlender said:

I don't think it makes sense to get umbral versions of frames that get prime ones. Maybe for ones where prime doesn't make sense, like nidus.

Umbra is basically a Prime. How does Umbra make sense for Nidus?

12 hours ago, GruntBlender said:

11 hours ago, peterc3 said:

It has every basis in lore. Nidus, Inaros, and Chroma should not be primes, period; or more accurately the base frame should be a prime since there was no roll over after the eight were overthrown/exiled/killed/whatever.

Primes are a financial construct and very clear upgrade.

As for Umbrals, the fab four along with the above are pretty obvious choices. (Mag, Volt, Rhino, Calibro)

Edited by -Kittens-

There is no point to it.  Also, if it becomes a thing, does the set bonus have to be rebalanced to account for the fact that there are now 4 umbral warframe mods?

Problem is two fold: the only umbral mod worth using on its own is Umbral Intensify, and in almost every case health > shields. Umbral Vitality only outperforms normal Vitality after rank 8 + set bonus of installing at least one other umbral mod. If I am going to go through the trouble of forma-ing every other slot to fit 2 umbral mods, it will almost always be Umbral Intensify + Umbral Vitality. Maybe Umbral Intensify + Umbral Fiber if I am doing Iron Skin Rhino.

While the completionist in me wouldn't necessarily say no to Umbral Redirection, I simply don't see myself ever using it.

I was really hoping for additional Umbral Warframes with at least one new additional Umbral mod to add to the my collection. I was also hoping for easier ways to acquire Umbral Forma to actually flesh out the Umbral System in its entirety, but DE doesn’t understand and is unwilling to fully integrate the incomplete and varied systems into a cohesive whole. 

11 hours ago, -Kittens- said:

It has every basis in lore. Nidus, Inaros, and Chroma should not be primes, period; or more accurately the base frame should be a prime since there was no roll over after the eight were overthrown/exiled/killed/whatever.

Primes are a financial construct and very clear upgrade.

As for Umbrals, the fab four along with the above are pretty obvious choices. (Mag, Volt, Rhino, Calibro)

No, your incorrect reading of lore doesn't matter. Every frame can and will be Primed, given the game is operating that long. Primes are not such a massive upgrade that the base version can't compare, they are mostly cosmetic.

23 minutes ago, -Kittens- said:

Except my reading of lore is exact, your need for legitimization of ludonarrative dissonance does not matter indeed.

There's nothing that suggests Nidus, Inaros, and Chroma can't have primes. Especially since one of those already has one. All were found we're the basic Tenno bps.

2 hours ago, Atsia said:

There's nothing that suggests Nidus, Inaros, and Chroma can't have primes. Especially since one of those already has one. All were found we're the basic Tenno bps.

There's plenty to suggest. The contraindication is also equally flat plain and direct; Steve said on camera for the record every frame will have a prime regardless of lore or context or anything else for obvious financial reasons, and that's pretty much the end of any argumentation outside of semantic circle jerks.

1 minute ago, -Kittens- said:

every frame will have a prime regardless of lore or context or anything else for obvious financial reasons

And that's the end of that discussion. Bit sad there likely won't be good umbral frames then.

On 2019-11-13 at 11:38 PM, Renegade343 said:

Right, Excalibur Umbra Prime coming up soon!

You mean this? https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Excalibur/Umbra_Prime