Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Starter frames?

vegetosayajin

So, this is purely for looking what people think. The trailer is out and the starter frames are set in place for...ever? possibly
The thing is most people who are just starting the game are not ready to handle mag or volt or use their full potential.And by the time they are ready they could easily farm them, build them etc. I know that in the past the starter frames were different( loki was in them for example).

So my question is: When you have gotten and played at least a little with all the frames in game right now, what in your opinion are the best to give a new player with no previous knowledge of the game at the start?

My logic is ( I consider the fact that you don't have much knowledge at the start, don't have mods, potatoes, forma etc) :
1. Excal stays - he is the poster boi for the game, but on top of that he is a solid frame with raw power even in an unmodded exalted blade, every ability except his 3 is useful.
2. Loki - to have a spy frame as a choice at the start of the game.Also he is fairly easy to build with just the basic mods that you get on the first week or two, not like ash, ivara or octavia. Stealth multiplier also gives him a great amount of damage and you can choose to play the game different from the very start.All of his kit is great and his augments too.
3. Frost - the best defence frame for a new player imo. He doesn't need duration mods for the bubble, special things or a lot of energy. He just needs power and armour and that will help the bubble and frost at the same time.His 4 is a great cc too especially at the start when you don't have corrupted mods for -duration, because it last quite a while to get a breather in hot situations.

11 minutes ago, vegetosayajin said:

Why? Low survivability or? 

More like invisibility sets a terrible precedent. 'Hey, lets give new players the ability to never get hit by anything because they never get seen by anything.

It's more than just a new player problem. It's too much of a first-order-optimal strategy. Admittedly, that much is something the game struggles with a lot anyway, balancing player input to effect output (coughigniscough) but that doesn't mean making it worse is good.

Emphasising a role early also tends to limit the range of mechanics a new player will experiment with. Each current starter offers a pretty fair amount of power and flair without going overboard in any one direction, allowing people to get a better feel for all the game's mechanics. Excalibur is the jack-of-all-trades posterboy with movement, damage and CC to toy with, Mag offers relatively impressive visuals with big pulses of energy and some fun unique mechanics (like Magnetise) and Volt, in stark contrast to what he's billed as, offers a great enhancement to regular combat through his shield and speed. Despite this, none of them really delve into hardcore focusing one ability or one playstyle (at least at first), meaning newer players are more incentivised to get good with more elements of the game

First I'd make it 4 starters to offer a full squad:

Excal - good all rounder 

Frost - team wide defense frame

Trinity - easy to play support, can help with the energy scarcity in early game

Rhino - easy offensive tank, not as mod dependent early