Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid Comprehensive Rework

Prosodical

1 hour ago, kapn655321 said:

When I first watched a promo or youtube video (forget which) back in 2014,
I saw Hydroid standing in a rain storm.
I thought, "Yes. That's the guy. Rain will reduce visibility, make it hard to hear... I may just get the hang of stealth games."
Still really wishing that was part of it.

Isn't it interesting how those first impressions, those first twinklings of imagination hold onto us? I agree, that would have been freaking awesome. Perhaps DE will reemphasize stealth in the future, and if so, I vote stealth Hydroid for president, 2020. Given how Hydroid currently has three loud abilities, and one quiet, I wonder if we could keep with that trend. Perhaps Hydroid could be partially stealth-focused, but still able to wreak havoc when the gloves come off. Octopi can be subtle, or violent. And pirates during Blackbeard's time frequently ambushed ships by night. 

If we simply need another stealth frame to compete with the four (sad panda) we already have, I would vote Banshee first. She needs some help. That'll be my next thread.

• Like 1

an idea that was tossed around in a past thread I participated in was to take hydroids undertow and combine it with a new passive.  water pools hydroid made left water on the map.  the water left would activate the mod augment at lower percent capacity and have a 50% increased with ability Power chance to impact proc knockdown from the pool and have that be his  new passive.  the tentacles are nice but are never used.   I've used it only when farming and having a passive with flavor like that isn't necessarily bad, but it's highly unlikely to be used. 

This would allow hydroid to use augments and create healing pools to aid allies and have some form of support.  As well as aid to remove some of the problems with his current kit.  he's too stationary in build.   Few frames are as stationary in skillet but have abilities and augments that are good for everyday use.   frost is a good example.  icy avalanche and armor reduction on his 4 make him use full. in far more situations that an undertow or a tentacle storm. could ever be. 

oh.. also have icy avalanche ice health be affected by either adaptation or armor.  either or.  

5 minutes ago, (XB1)Dissodance said:

water pools hydroid made left water on the map.  the water left would activate the mod augment at lower percent capacity and have a 50% increased with ability Power chance to impact proc knockdown from the pool and have that be his  new passive.

Was talking about something very similar in this one with my idea for his 1 to be rain.
Leaves puddles with chance to proc knockdown.

Curative undertow, too. The puddle should leave ally feet wet for a moment.
Heals 30% over 4 seconds, stacks up to 3 times, adding up every 1.5 seconds you stand in the puddle.
Only applies stacks/costs energy while ally is missing health.
Would be a sort of "row-row-row your boat" effect as the stacks stagger in.

Barrage: It's quite blinding currently.  Maybe more glitter farts. Just kidding but it could probably have some improvement. Water jets cut steel under high enough pressure. The channeled max range of the abilities could be improved too as the current premise is the cost of range for Hydroid is time not mod space.    

Corroding Barrage could be baked into Hydroids 1. and the new augment give some kind of range modification and casting speed or cleanse status.

Or as a concession give Barrage an electrical storm proc with Corroding Barrage augment remaining untouched.

#2's fine maybe a limited ability to stear it, would be nice. It could leave a path of coral or water with some secondary effect almost like Nidus' stompy spikes.

Undertow: I've been using Hydroids current 3 for spy missions and it's ok, I just wish it had better mobility or no mobility energy penalty... any hints on weather or not a synergy can be made for increased mobility while puddle mode?(I must remember to test Basolk augment). I wish they added an invisibility for x seconds on exiting puddle mode. It's a pity CC frames get made a mockery by damage frames. It's also a pity sentinels aren't protected by undertow's protection either. (I must remember Exploding immortal sentinel) I think the damage could scale with the amount of drownies in the pool as they struggle and pull each other down into the crushing depths. If there was a way to be separate from the pool and leave it as a trap while still running around supporting your team I think that'd be a win. (baby decoy Kraken+ Grab)

Tentacle Swarm: Shooting the head of the leviathan creature could disperse damage across everything being held by tentacles (up to max 20 CC'd targets currently). Or the Krakan/Leviathan's energy colour could determine a status proc or it could exude a random status proc inspired by exotic sea creatures (as enemies fire at it like a decoy,trying to save their friends)and Kraken thematically "getting angry".    

Edited by WarRelic