Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Beyond The Grind

DaEnMgOeNl

Dear Forums,

Please don't get me wrong here, I love Warframe, but after 200 hours of gameplay, all missions opened up, a few hundred void runs, every frame and most weapons...

Where is the depth beyond the grind. Build Frame -> grind -> forma -> grind -> forma -> grind.....

I have been finding it harder to find the joy and easier to see the grind. Any thoughts as to what to do for some substance in the endgame?

In my experience after I've gained everything I could gain~

I drifted off to making my own clan well not really a Clan~

more like a personal home I build on my own~

with the materials gained as I traversed the sol system~

I had enough to make and design my dojo~

but dont worry if you're looking for something else ingame~

DE is working on getting story into the game~

so you have some "Substance" just have to have patience~

In my experience after I've gained everything I could gain~

I drifted off to making my own clan well not really a Clan~

more like a personal home I build on my own~

with the materials gained as I traversed the sol system~

I had enough to make and design my dojo~

but dont worry if you're looking for something else ingame~

DE is working on getting story into the game~

so you have some "Substance" just have to have patience~

This... is true.... poetry.

Made me cry.

Well, the two big things that I think make coming up with ideas difficult is first that the players need a sense of achievement without any sort of item reward being involved. A true endgame beyond the grind will not have any mods, weapons, warframes, sentinels, colour packs, accesories or anything else that might come up in the future. If the new "endgame" is simply a grind that takes a long time then it's not the endgame.

The second issue is that it's hard to come up with any way for players to drive the action in a continuous manner in a PvE game. PvE games have a time limit on them because eventually you will simply do everything and have nothing left to work for. Releasing new installments to the story could help extend this time limit, but it won't make it go away, eventually a pure PvE game will have to end. Oddly, most games deliver the story first, then let us run around in a free-grind mode.

The concept I've idealised but never really thought to be feasable is dynamic faction-based warfare with roots in the alert system, with strategic objectives highlighted as the alerts. Victory means securing a step towards dominance in the sector, furthering the goals of the Tenno. That is sadly a) vague as Hek and b) reliant on emergent storytelling. Emergent storytelling would be awesome in a PvP game where real people are shifting the balance of power actively and the players have a real hand in it, but in a PvE game all the pressure would be on DE to keep making up more story, like the Game Master in a tabletop RPG, but with hundreds of thousands of active players.

Perhaps a catalogue of randomly generated events could be added into the game that shakes up the week to week business, most small scale things, you know, Corpus are uncovering Orokin secrets on the fringes of space, the Grineer are oppressing the native populace, yadda yadda. Then once in a while a Fomorian comes along, the Corpus are nearing a breakthrough in Void navigation which could unravel the Tenno as a whole. Big things that grab our attention and make us work together to defend whatever it is we fight for and just to survive. It would be important for all these things to be multi-stage endeavours so it isn't the old "play this one mission type for a weekend" type of grind.

The last portion of this idea would be for DE to then look at the way the war has been evolving over the past while and build the next chapter of the story with that knowledge. This way DE can basically just do the same thing it seems they intend to and release story arcs once in a while, but with the input of the community's actions. This way we can have an active hand in shaping the future of our clan and the Tenno culture as a whole, maybe without this being a huge stress on DE's resources.

Anyway, as you asked for suggestions for an endgame, that wall of text is my pipe dream that I want to be possible but know better. Anyone else have something less ridiculous to offer?