The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Galatine Op Y/n?

Dopey

Buff Galatine normal swing damage to 75, reduce attack speed AND charge speed significantly. Make it a real interesting broadsword, not just another spam charge melee.

And seriously, "oh the charge speed so balances everything" is bollocks. Considering you can sprint during charge, AND it has very good range, AND it has momentum so you're much less likely to stagger even if melee struck mid-charge, it is EXTREMELY easy to just circle-strafe around your target while your Galatine charges up, or simply smack them with a normal strike (staggers) or a ground slam (decent AoE, knocks down) and THEN charge up. Not only that, Galatine comes with a - polarity slot, which means at Rank 3, no potato, you can put a Rank 4 Reflex Coil in, which already heavily negates its "long" charge time.

You know what, its damage can stay, just make it slower and take a little more tact to use.

Due to numbers inflation, it is really impossible to get a good and solid grasp on what is balanced, vs. what's overpowered (except maybe Soma and Acrid, which are truly ridiculously powerful and easymode). There will need to be some serious weapon balance passes after this big ol' armor 2.0 comes out. Tears will be shed, anger will be spoken, and the game will be back to where it needs to be on the difficulty curve. Sorting out the underlying issues of the game's balance in difficulty should give us (the testers) a better frame of reference for what needs to change.

I've played 500+ hours of the game, and let me tell you, things have changed a lot since January.

Thanks for trying OP but as You see there are 20+ posts by clueless whingers crying over this weapon who have of course NEVER used it

Anyone who has actually built and used one would know, YES it is an excellent weapon, but it is NOT overpowered 

it is certainly not worth throwing a fit over

strangely enough the WIKI isnt the beginning and end of the WF universe...  post all the math/graphs you want..   

i prefer to take mine to void survival and actually TEST it in GAME

Mine is currently catalysed and Formaed twice, is it good? YES  

is it MUCH better than a high build Gram/Hate/Orthos Prime/Fang Prime?  NO

Is it game breaking OP?  not in the slightest

Should its mastery level be a little higher?  PROBABLY

All it has done is give the Melee players who use CHARGE ATTACK builds another nice weapon

THANKS DE!  Man you guys must have THICK skins by now after dealing with the psychotics on these forums

I've used, Forma'd, and taken this thing to T3 defense several times.

I never said it was overpowered.  In fact, I said I had no stance on its current balance other than it blew all other melee out of the water.  It could still be balanced and they just need buffs though.

I've been looking at time-stamped game footage and have been talking to a guy that datamines, so I wasn't just relying on the Wiki.  If you can't see the obvious implications of having almost 90% more DPS than the next best option, well...  I post graphs because it gives a visual representation of the numbers which is easier for most people to interpret.

The point is, this thing does dwarf everything else.  Whether or not that is good remains to be seen.  To claim that it doesn't overpower all other melee is simply incorrect.

Guys, this is what Scott has said already in the latest livestream; a greater mastery rank will mean a greater weapon.

Lets put aside the simple fact that melee weapons are still FAAAAAAAAAAAR from useful compared to all the other tactical-nuclear, borderline-high-fantasy, nearly Harry Potter crap you can get in this game; it's got a mastery rank of 3.  That's higher than Gram's 2.  According to DE's philosophy, it should be better.

Its better than the Gram for MOST things, one of them being damage, chill.

Ether scythe also has mastery 3. What now?

So many hate)))

its so simple =)  you are not stupid people ..are you?) 

Galatine ist a heavy weapon with low swing damage (just like 1 handed skana prime or chronos)

so - is

1- low basic swing damage

2- basic attack do not ignore armor 

3- very slow charge speed

so what is real  BIG - ot this weapon  

1+2 = we cant effective improve basic damage, its no wotrth it

3= must have 2 heavy cost mods to improve charge speed

al this is = galatine must be improve for charge attack only, speed+ damage 

this is mean what =

1) we can effective kill heavy armored target (like ancients)

2) we cant effective kill group of fast and light armored targets ( 5 its not 10 or 15) 

so Galatin is are specific weapon, it task to kill group of slow heavy armored target

but you very vulnurable to a light armored targets ( for example gramm is very universal weapon, for pvp,for light and heavy armor targets)

for evidence of my post, go and try fight with this weapon with corpus and grinier, they just run away from you CHARGE attack) very uncomfortable you know ... 

So many hate)))

its so simple =)  you are not stupid people ..are you?) 

Galatine ist a heavy weapon with low swing damage (just like 1 handed skana prime or chronos)

so - is

1- low basic swing damage

2- basic attack do not ignore armor 

3- very slow charge speed

so what is real  BIG - ot this weapon  

1+2 = we cant effective improve basic damage, its no wotrth it

3= must have 2 heavy cost mods to improve charge speed

al this is = galatine must be improve for charge attack only, speed+ damage 

this is mean what =

1) we can effective kill heavy armored target (like ancients)

2) we cant effective kill group of fast and light armored targets ( 5 its not 10 or 15) 

so Galatin is are specific weapon, it task to kill group of slow heavy armored target

but you very vulnurable to a light armored targets ( for example gramm is very universal weapon, for pvp,for light and heavy armor targets)

for evidence of my post, go and try fight with this weapon with corpus and grinier, they just run away from you CHARGE attack) very uncomfortable you know ... 

You can still move quite quickly while charging...  If they escape it's my own fault.  I could have prevented it.

Edited by Volt_Cruelerz

My opinion on Galatine is very, complex.

Is it overpowered compared it its other melee counterparts? Yes by a mile. 

Is it overpowered compared to other weapons in the game? LOL no.

In my humble opinion, melee DESERVES more strength in general. You sacrifice range and fire rate currently for what exactly? Ammo efficiency? heh, keep thinking that.

Melee Weapons need a huge buff, particularly when it comes to scaling. This usually means that the Melee Mods need an ENORMOUS buff to keep up with the likes of secondary weapons.

Even with full charge speed and charge damage mods, the DPS isn't that impressive. In fact, given the only way to make noticeable damage with the Galatine is a charged strike, I'd say it's pretty unwieldy. Sure you can cap up to 5 enemies in a single swing... but by the time your swing begins, your shields and half your health will be gone.

Seriously, the only frame viable for the Galatine is Rhino, only because Iron Skin will buffer your attempt to smack someone in the face with the sword.

Even with full charge speed and charge damage mods, the DPS isn't that impressive. In fact, given the only way to make noticeable damage with the Galatine is a charged strike, I'd say it's pretty unwieldy. Sure you can cap up to 5 enemies in a single swing... but by the time your swing begins, your shields and half your health will be gone.

Seriously, the only frame viable for the Galatine is Rhino, only because Iron Skin will buffer your attempt to smack someone in the face with the sword.

It is 1,3s with mods, geez it's not THAT slow.

It is 1,3s with mods, geez it's not THAT slow.

You also have to take into account the idle time after the charge and the strike. Regular melee can simply be chained with abandon; charge attacks have a glaring delay between them due to the animation, the charge, the swing and the small delay between every charge attack.

So technocally, yes, it takes 1.3 second to charge the strike... but going through a full cycle to perform a second one is closer to 2.0 - 2.5 secs.

Edited by Wiegraf

You also have to take into account the idle time after the charge and the strike. Regular melee can simply be chained with abandon; charge attacks have a glaring delay between them due to the animation, the charge, the swing and the small delay between every charge attack.

So technocally, yes, it takes 1.3 second to charge the strike... but going through a full cycle to perform a second one is closer to 2.0 - 2.5 secs.

No, the 1,3s is the whole cycle, I have tested this myself. You can do one whole charge attack every 1,3s, 10 charges attacks in 13 seconds and so on.

Edit: But I'm not saying thing is OP still, pretty much step towards actually viable melee weapons.

Edited by Patzer

It's somewhat OP. I mean, sure it has a long charge time to compensate for its charge damage, but that can be easily negated using Reflex Coil and Focus Energy.

After playing this game for so long, why is it still so hard for people to grasp the concept that since every melee weapon can equip these, it provides no advantage over others. EVERY melee weapon can have reflex coil, this doesn't offset the disadvantage for Gala, it's exactly the same percentage wise compared to a reflex coiled <insert any other melee weapon>. And since every melee weapon uses coil...it's one of the dumbest comments you could make.

Galatine...when this melee came out it lifted a lot of dust.I would say nerf the charge dmg/nerf the crit % or add a propper rank to it... or just buff all other melee weapons cause even with a potatoed melee you can't  get enough dmg to compare it with ranged primary and secondary guns... you also have to be close to a mob if you wanna deal dmg to it.And yeah you aren't probably gonna use melee on lvl 100+ mobs but anyways i hope that armor 2.0 will change melee weapons to better.