Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

BUFF Garuda!

PRI3RAK729

Sup guys!

I wanna talk with you about Garuda! She is one of the most beautiful warframe in the game, in my opinion. Also she is not "one button" waframe and you have to use all of her abilities!

BUT GARUDA IS SO F***ING WEAK VS HIGH LVL ENEMIES.

There are 3 reassons why Garuda is so weak.

1) The bug in the game with "Blood altar" and Ancient Healer. 

When some 
Ancient Healer is coming closer to the enemy the ability just stops working for no reasons (but timer is still showing under the ability icon).
20191107130221-1.jpg

And I can't even cast Blood altar on enemies which are close to a Ancient Healer.

20191107130230-1.jpg

You know, when you are playing on High-level missions, especially in surviving mode, enemies are everywhere and sometimes Ancient Healers can buff mobs just through the walls and floor.

So your "Blood altar" will be cancelled just right in the middle of the hard fight!

2) "Dread mirror" is too weak

Almost every Warframe in the game have much better defensive ability than Garuda :

• Mesa - "Shatter shield" works on 360 degr., gives 95% resistance and Bombards rockets will be reflected and often will ricochet back. Mesa's 2nd ability gives you buff to your weapon and stun enemies that are close to you.
  • Volt - "Electric shield". You can cast 3 shields and get defensive 360 degr. You will be almost invinceble, because if you place 3 shield close to your warframe even melee mobs won't hit you. Also you are getting buff for your weapons!
  • Valkyr - "Hysteria". Press 4 and go into "god mode"
  • Rhino - "Iron skin" gives you skin that insulating himself from all damage. Also Rhino has "Rhino Stomp" that will helps you in "Hard situations".
  • Loki - "Invisibility". You know how it works, right? Also Loki has "Decoy" that really helps in the fight.
  • Ivara - almost Loki, but with the Bow and special arrows.

And there are a lot of warframes that have defensive and/or control ablilities better than Garuda has one. Even Hydroid and Zephyr has better defensive ability than Garuda...
    Also "Dread mirror" won't gives you any defensive from area attacks. So 1 high-level bomber just oneshot you through the stack of mobs or just from a distance where you can see the bomber well..

Yes you can charge it pretty cool for one powerfull attack, but you won't kill too much enemies, because of Nullifier or Ancient Healer's buff.

3) You have to "charge" your abilities to use it on maximum range/power

Every attack ability that Garuda has must be charged to use it on "maximum". AND TRUST ME, IT IS ANNOYING AF...
Why is this annoying, you ask me? Okay, just keep the next words in your head:

You have to collect some damage from your enemies for your 1st ability "Dread mirror" than you have to charge it. Wanna cast your 4th ability? You have to charge it to get maximum radius...
And what do others do instead of all of these actions on Garuda?! RIGHT! Just pressing 1 button. . . Mesa's ultimate with her shield. Saryn with her ultimate. Volt and etc.
Almost ALL warframes (maybe even all one) in the game have instant action abilities, BUT NOT GARUDA... 

So while you are charging your ability there are no enemies to kill or the enemies just kill you . . .

I just can't understand why do DE doing "Stillborn" warframes? And doing them so damn good looking! I allready hearing that people say : "Who the f.... needs Garuda?" or just " Garuda sucks".

And it hurts me, because I like this warframe, but IT IS REALLY HARD to play on her in high-level surviving mode, because you have to check your buggy "blood altar", press all your abilites, check timer on "Dread mirror", press 5 for operator buff. And when you look on others warframes like Mesa, Wukong, Saryn and etc. you like: "My gosh, why can't I just change Garuda on other warframe and just kill tons of enemies by pressing 1-2 buttons?!". 

Honestly, just compare all Garuda's minuses with other Warframes and you will see that Garuda is weak. Don't think so? Allright, just try to play on "MOT" in the void on Garuda about 30-60 mins and then just change your warframe on Mesa or another one and you will see the difference.

Edited by PRI3RAK729
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Karu-QW said:

Don't worry, they'll fix this by nerfing the new Ember and Catchmoon.

I hope so!
Because i was writing about "blood altar" bug on the forum and even in the support team. . . But the only patch i saw, was about Grendel. They buff it (if i remember it right). . .

2 hours ago, GPrime96 said:

That's nothing for Garuda

You missed the words about comparing.

Here is my experience :
On 40+ mins you have to watch for ancient heallers and Bombers really hard. You are using all of your abilites, watching for timers, when you see Bomber that stands behind tons of mobs and have AH's buff, you have to press 5 for operator. Wanna use your 1st ability to kill all the enemies? Prey to the God that Nullifier won't show from the corner of this corridor while you are charging it. Any mistake will just kill you.

I was playing with Mesa and Octavia and they just don't give a sh... on all of these problems. Why do i have to "try hard" so much on Garuda, if i can just take Mesa or another warframe and do the same numbers (or even more) of kills and damage?
Maybe it is just me. Maybe I suck, but usually it was really easy to me to stand around 60 mins in "MOT", even on Zephyr or on any other warframes (but not Ember).

And Garuda really sucks in the rooms that have 2 floors, because her "Dread mirror" won't cover you from attacks from behind, bellow or above you, as any defensive ability on other warframes do.
So, in Surviving mode missions, playing as Garuda, you have to "try hard" much more than, if you were playing on other Warframe. For me It's not worth it, because no one will appreciate that you are pressing all your abilities and etc.

In defensive mode you have to charge your abilites and again it goes really slow.

Everyone needs a results, and Garuda gives it too slow in comparing with others.

Edited by PRI3RAK729
Typo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, PRI3RAK729 said:

I was playing with Mesa and Octavia and they just don't give a sh... on all of these problems. Why do i have to "try hard" so much on Garuda, if i can just take Mesa or another warframe and do the same numbers (or even more) of kills and damage?
 (but not Ember).

Probably because of the lazier playstyle outside of Garuda? But i do agree with Ember though, not sure if she would be good in long runs.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PRI3RAK729 said:

BUT GARUDA IS SO F***ING WEAK VS HIGH LVL ENEMIES.

I don't think she's weak, there aren't many other frames that can scale as much damage as she can.

I think the problem is that she's a glass cannon, and past a certain level she's just too cumbersome.

The AoE for bombards should definitely get a fix, I'm sure she used to be able to block AoE with Dread Mirror, so that may have changed.

58 minutes ago, PRI3RAK729 said:

3) You have to "charge" your abilities to use it on maximum range/power

Every attack ability that Garuda has must be charged to use it on "maximum". AND TRUST ME, IT IS ANNOYING AF...
Why is this annoying, you ask me? Okay, just keep the next words in your head

I entirely agree with this - I like that Garuda's harder to play than say Mesa or Saryn, but there's just no need for the delay on too of that.

I've made my own suggestions for Garuda...

I think range mods should increase the block angle from dread mirror and starting angle for her 4. Her 4 needs to be quicker, and if you tap it that should be wide enough to kill a corridor. The dread pounce should instakill unarmoured/unsheilded enemies.

Probably because of the lazier playstyle outside of Garuda? But i do agree with Ember though, not sure if she would be good in long runs.

All right i will try to rephrase what i want to say:

There are have to be some cool "buns" for trying so hard, don't you think so?

On Ivara its are cool Bow and special arrow that allows you oneshot any mob in the game with mod on your melee. And again her bow is pretty strong and fun.

On Equinox its are : you can make fall asleep bunch of enemies and one shot them with mod on your melee as Ivara does, but also you can "charge" your ultimate on damage and just release all the damage, that you are collected, on pretty big area.

So abilities on these (and some others) waframes worth that your Warframe is so easy to kill. Or it is just worth it for your trying hard, right?

And when i am playing on Garuda i can't feel the same. Especially when i am looking on Nidus.  Why does Nidus have so good balance bettwen attack and defensive? When i am playing on Nidus i don't feel that it isn't worth it or something.

14 minutes ago, PRI3RAK729 said:

And when i am playing on Garuda i can't feel the same. Especially when i am looking on Nidus.  Why does Nidus have so good balance bettwen attack and defensive? When i am playing on Nidus i don't feel that it isn't worth it or something.

Actually, Nidus and Garuda was designed by the same person so it's a obvious comparison. Also the Nezha and Saryn Rework came from him too.

Edited by GPrime96

2 hours ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

I think the problem is that she's a glass cannon, and past a certain level she's just too cumbersome.

The AoE for bombards should definitely get a fix, I'm sure she used to be able to block AoE with Dread Mirror, so that may have changed.

Yep, i agree with you!

And i have read your topic and press "upvote" button 🙂

And i like that you have to press all of Garuda ability and that it is pretty challanged to play on her. I just feel like i am fighting on the edge between life and death. I like how Garuda jumps to enemies when you press 1st or 2nd ability and i just like this warframe, because she looks just great and have usefull abilities, and not just "one button" warframe!

You just get me when you said that Garuda is a "glass cannon"! And for me that's why Garuda is weak. You know, in this game mobs are spawning from every where, even almost behind your back, so in comparing with other warframes Garuda is pretty weak: bad shield, long time for casting your ability...
Another warframes just have 360 degr. defensive and instant action abilities that fit good in the game mechanics.

• Like 1

Actually, Nidus and Garuda was designed by the same person so it's a obvious comparison.

Intresting fact, thanks 🙂

But
it confused me even more  . . . Why Garuda is so "glassy" then?

I don't try to say that Garuda is unplayable or something like that.

Just in the comparing with other warframes it pretty hard to surviving on her. As i said before i can understand why it is easy to kill Ivara or Equinox, but Garuda... It is like: "My ultimate doesn't work on 360 degr., my shield doesn't work on 360 degr., my ultimate pretty weak when AH is near to enemies, i have to charge my abilities and etc., so why it is really easy to kill me!?".

Yes i like Garuda, yes i like that you have to use all of her abilites, but  . . .  
I just don't know how to explain . . . It is like you have to pay too much attention on battlefield situation by watching for AHs, Nullifiers and Bombers, and + you have to wait to use your abilities on maximum, while others just can instant use their abilities and just retreat from the fight or just kill everyone.

For me it is not fair exchanging: Try harding for the abilities that you have to wait to charge + in the end of the game you are not sure that you will be on "the first place"  in the number of kills/damage.

Edited by PRI3RAK729

19 minutes ago, PRI3RAK729 said:

Intresting fact, thanks 🙂

But
it confused me even more  . . . Why Garuda is so "glassy" then?

I don't try to say that Garuda is unplayable or something like that.

Just in the compating with other warframes it pretty hard to surviving on her. As i said before i can understand why it is easy to kill Ivara or Equinox, but Garuda... It is like: "My ultimate doesn't work on 360 degr., my shield doesn't work on 360 degr., my ultimate pretty weak when AH is near to enemies, i have to charge my abilities and etc., so why it is really easy to kill me!?".

Yes i like Garuda, yes i like that you have to use all of her abilites, but  . . .  
I just don't know how to explain . . . It is like you have to pay too much attention on battlefield situation by watching for AHs, Nullifiers and Bombers, and + you have to wait to use your abilities on maximum, while others just can instant use their abilities and just retreat from the fight or just kill everyone.

For me it is not fair exchanging: Try harding for the abilities that you have to wait to charge + in the end of the game you are not sure that you will be on "the first place"  in the number of kills/damage.

I've played other Frames like Mag and Wisp in Mot before and honestly, Garuda's survivability is about normal. Yeah Wisp got the Invisibility Passive and Invincibility of her 2 but her 2 is limited and it's possible for Nullifiers to snipe Wisp from 30 - 40 Meters away right before she goes invisible mid air and die with Ancient Healer Specter Aura (Nullifiers are a mess pass 200 or 300). Mag got a worse problem with Nullifiers since the tip of their Bubble only need to touch Magnetize and it's gone. Fatal when you bunch up a lot of enemies at once and you are shooting at them while they are in front of you. But those two are situation Solo so i don't know how they are like with a Squad.

The issue Garuda only have for Survivability is not the Ancient Healers, it's the Grineer. Napalms, Hyeka Masters, Scorchs, and now Liches can ignore the Mirror, not Bombards which is why i use Garuda in Mot the most since it's the better place to test her Armor ignoring strength there even though Ancient Healers deactivate her Alter. Without her Shield, she's probably slightly higher survivability than Banshee got although Banshee got the CC from Silence, Really think Garuda being squishy is a normal thing for DE to design DPS Casters. Unless they designed it like Octavia where she's invisible during the whole Mission, Mesa (Bombards could ignore her Shatter Shield if they hit it incorrectly), and Gara where they have a way to reduce Damage or avoid it. Didn't count current Ember because even though she got the DR, she don't have the scaling to be a DPS Frame.

Edited by GPrime96
  • Like 1

Mesa (Bombards could ignore her Shatter Shield if they hit it incorrectly).

Mesa's shield have 95% (with power more than 200% or something like that) reducing enemy attack effect anyway. So even if Bomber rocket hits you, you won't be killed by 1 shot.

Ash, the main DPS in the past, have invisiblitiy and can't be killed while he is under his ultimate. 
Volt has shields that cover you at 360 degrees.
Ivara has invisibility and spec.arrows.
Chroma has 3rd ability and 2nd ability.

Almost all DPS characters have good Survivability. For me only a few warframes hard to play long surviving mode: Ember, Mag and maybe someone else.
And Garuda, because it is pretty peacing off thing, when you are trying to survive in a room with tons of enemies with 3 Blood altars, and some AH just goes to you from the back or just closer to a wall and say: "Oh, i see you are in troubles, let me be your personal Nullifier and cancel your blood altars through this wall".

And again: yes you can play on Garuda. She has pretty strong abilities, but you won't get ahead of 
other DPS warframes in the number of kills/damage too much, but you will have to try hard more, than they do.

Edited by PRI3RAK729

Please don't touch Garuda, she is one of the funnest Warframe in the game. I play her more than any other frame now, just had to get the right build. I have no issues destroying any target well over level 100 and rarely die.

Trick is, gotta build her correctly.

Garuda isn't weak against high level enemies; she in fact scales like a monster.

She is however weak against certain enemy types due to flaws in her Dread Mirror as a Barrier. Her Mirror doesn't appropriately block many radial damage sources like Napalms, Firebombs, Area Bombardments, Nox Toxic Shots and a lot of Grineer units in general.

Garuda is also quite campy at very high levels. She plays similar to Volt in that way but unlike Volt her shield is flawed. Dread Mirror isn't weak. That's like saying Volt's Shield is weak. It's literal immortality. Dread Mirror just doesn't work correctly and I've pointed this out countless times, even made a video showing it's flaw.

Far as Ancient Healers, use an innate Rad or Rad modded weapon. It's not like she needs anything but Base damage multipliers on her weapons. Previously I would have said Viral + Rad Zenistar is the premium synergy for her but DE murdered that weapon and threw it in a wood chipper.

Garuda is simply unpolished. Like a lot of recent frames and content.

P.S.  I've played all those frames on MOT. Garuda closely compares to Volt which is a 2h Solo run easy. Better than Mesa or Rhino who start getting wrecked at that point. Less than Loki / Ivara for obvious reasons. Last time I played Hysteria it was also 2h but can't say for sure after melee changes.

Edited by Xzorn

I wouldn't say Garuda is weak against high level enemies. She fares well better against anything high level than a lot of frames. Some QoL improvements would be welcome though.

• I agree with blood altar disabling auras. It can be bothersome in the middle of action to blood altar just to realize that you targeted the wrong enemy. I think we should actually be encouraged to cast that power high priority enemies instead.
  • Totally disagree on Dread Mirror being too weak. It plays its role of denying frontal damage very fine. Combined with Blood Altar and your high armor stat, it makes you extremely hard to kill. I do however wish to see two things being changed on that ability :
    • First, I'd like to see Dread Mirror being actually a ranged attack instead of Garuda charging. Two reasons for that : the first one is that we already have Blood Altar to charge on enemies. The second is that if you generate a shield, you probably don't want to be dangerously close to an enemy.
    • Second, I think it would be very neat if the Dread Heart wouldn't disable your shield shall you use it while it's up. It makes using the heart unnecessarily inconvenient and a tad bit risky. Would be great QoL IMO.
  • I don't really see an issue with the fact that you have to charge your abilities. However in the case of Seeking Talons I really wish its cost was reduced on instant cast. If you're just going to use Seeking Talons on minimum charge, I think 100 energy just for one big line of damage it a tad bit too much. Having a cost scaling from 50 to 100 at max charge would be better.

She sure can't nuke as much as Mesa or Saryn but to be honest those two are absurdly powerful to begin with.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, D20 said:
    • First, I'd like to see Dread Mirror being actually a ranged attack instead of Garuda charging. Two reasons for that : the first one is that we already have Blood Altar to charge on enemies. The second is that if you generate a shield, you probably don't want to be dangerously close to an enemy.
    • Second, I think it would be very neat if the Dread Heart wouldn't disable your shield shall you use it while it's up. It makes using the heart unnecessarily inconvenient and a tad bit risky. Would be great QoL IMO.

You know about the Wall-Latch "feature" right? I kinda hope it stays. Makes her feel very spider / vampire like in play style. Also adds a bit of a skill layer.

Disabling the Shield to throw her Heart is also something I've questioned. On one side you can AoE stun with her 4th and create a window to use it but on the other side that's not entirely reliable since it will not stun an enemy who's already currently marked and she needs to rely on her shield at higher levels which mostly results in me personally never using that portion of the ability.

I feel this is the main problem with Dread Mirror:

Spoiler

Though technically this is more of an enemy design problem with Radial damage as noted where a Nox shot hits Garuda through the floor. DE has still proven they can fix this in either direction. Bombard correctly interact with Barriers and Terrain and Volt's Shield is effective at blocking the ones that don't. Both have been done.

22 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

You know about the Wall-Latch "feature" right? I kinda hope it stays. Makes her feel very spider / vampire like in play style. Also adds a bit of a skill layer.

Disabling the Shield to throw her Heart is also something I've questioned. On one side you can AoE stun with her 4th and create a window to use it but on the other side that's not entirely reliable since it will not stun an enemy who's already currently marked and she needs to rely on her shield at higher levels which mostly results in me personally never using that portion of the ability.

I feel this is the main problem with Dread Mirror:

Hide contents

Though technically this is more of an enemy design problem with Radial damage as noted where a Nox shot hits Garuda through the floor. DE has still proven they can fix this in either direction. Bombard correctly interact with Barriers and Terrain and Volt's Shield is effective at blocking the ones that don't. Both have been done.

Great find. That definitely looks like it shouldn't be a thing. I wonder if it comes from the size of the shield itself, or if there's simply a wonky hitbox issue.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, D20 said:

Great find. That definitely looks like it shouldn't be a thing. I wonder if it comes from the size of the shield itself, or if there's simply a wonky hitbox issue.

From the testing I've done it seems to be how radial damage interacts with terrain, objects and player made objects. Snow Globe, Dread Mirror, Mass Vitrify.

Napalms, Hyeka Firebomb toss, Scorch's Ignis, Grineer Jetpack Bombardments, Nox's shot as shown. Quite a few AoE effects just ignore objects & terrain.

They have fixed a few over time Raptor Bombardments and Tar Mutalist's Tar shots now interact with terrain and at least Snow Globe from what I've noticed.

Doesn't come up a lot outside cases like Garuda where it's quite critical for her Barrier ability to work correctly. Frost / Gara can just back up from the Barrier a bit.

I really like Garuda's design, too. One of the few frames I waslegitimately hyped about when I saw her concept art and her bloodmagic theme.

I don't think Garuda is really weak so to say. Her problem is thate she is inconsistent.

Her Dread Mirror is on paper an absolutely amazing ability. Both the shield and the nuke part. However it doesn't translate well in Warframe. Enemies don't come only from up ahead. A lot of damage is hitscan so you can't turn to protect yourself from incoming projectiles. It is almost inevtiable ot get hit form the side sor from behind in the long run. And then there are ofc the AoE effects that punch through her shield making it even more inconsistent.

Her whole thing with the berserker nature of doing more damage at low hp is also not working precisely because of that. She generally doesn't feature the tools for runnign on low HP against high level enemies to be worthwhile because again its inconsistent. One time you don't get hit the other you flop and die.

Her general eHP or tankiness is not enough. She has the PF + QT combo but she doesn't have the base energy to push that to the max. Her extra baseline energy scaling is neat but PF doesn't benefit from that leaving her at 600 energy with a max PF while a lot frames can get more and thus more eHP from QT.
Her shield also makes it so that she can't stack Adaptation well so it will not necessarily protect her if she then gets hit, which strips her of one of the most powerful defensive tools in our arsenal right now.

A lot of frames cna just get up to 95% dmg reduction universally from a  buff and then stack Adapatation on top to make them incredibly hard to kill and when those frames don't even feel the heat Garuda already burns in hell.

Thats really my main problem. She has a good sustain tool, great damage tools and is super fashionable. But she just doesn't function very well in practice.

If there is also a bug or weird itneraciton with her altar disabling it, then that has to be fixed quite obviously, too. We certainly don't need more ability disabling when the frames basic functions lie within them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xzorn said:

Scorch's Ignis

Shorches are actually very weird. They bypass the shield completely, they don't even add damage to the dread heart meaning it's not even interacting with it. Cinder mechanists on the other hand actually have their flames blocked! Maybe the first few ticks will hit but after that they will not bypass dread mirror. My guess is the enemies ignis is just severely out of date and a still a weird relic of warframe's much more common jank from the old days. It was one of the first new enemies and even the hyekka master is incredibly old at this point. 

One thing I noticed is it takes a very long time from the moment he fires to actually hit you. At ~10 meters it was almost 2 seconds! It almost feels like the ignis on enemies is handled like the pyro's flamethrower in team fortress 2 where the particles themselves are assigned hitboxes that go along and tick repeatedly looking for collisions until it expires. At least on the surface level of course, it appears to deal damage as the flame particles collide with you and once he stops firing you can walk back into the particles and take damage (despite the visuals disappearing the moment he stops they still move at the same pace). So maybe that weird way of handling the flames makes it so it just ignores the shield entirely.

This also explains why hyekka masters actually never hit anything. They just create a wall of fire to your left that you'd actively have to run into to take damage. I honestly thought them spraying fire off to the side was just some dumb visual jank and they actually have a hitscan fire coming out from their center aimed at you. 

Edited by Annnoth
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Annnoth said:

Shorches are actually very weird. They bypass the shield completely, they don't even add damage to the dread heart meaning it's not even interacting with it. Cinder mechanists on the other hand actually have their flames blocked! Maybe the first few ticks will hit but after that they will not bypass dread mirror. My guess is the enemies ignis is just severely out of date and a still a weird relic of warframe's much more common jank from the old days. It was one of the first new enemies and even the hyekka master is incredibly old at this point.

I wonder if they use the same Mechanics as the Player's Ignis instead of being designed for themself, same with Hyekka Masters.

1 hour ago, GPrime96 said:

I wonder if they use the same Mechanics as the Player's Ignis instead of being designed for themself, same with Hyekka Masters.

Tested it. It works exactly like a players. The particles stop against the shield, initial hit does damage but following stream doesnt just like the mechanist. 

Because me and my friends can't help but muck about here's some random dumb findings. Garudas dread mirror blocks any punch through, tried 1 meter, tried lanka's 5 meter, even zeniths infinite so innate PT the way we know it from stats isn't a factor for enemies which explains why the plasmor on vallis hurts you since it has it's own weird form of phasing. HOWEVER, bows still kill you! I They don't bypass either frost shield or volt shield even if you're really really close. I even was so close the arrow stuck into the side, but instead of attatching to the bubble it was attatched to my face so when I moved around I had an arrow in my head despite not receiving damage. I assumed it would block bows because it worked on lank's projectile but guess I was wrong.

Also it blocks the zenistars disc waves. Dunno why, it just does. Doesn't add damage though. Melee in general actually isn't blocked AT ALL. Not even from enemies! I always wondered why they never added damage to the heart. Turns out the only reason they don't hurt you is cause the mirror keeps them at distance. The moment a healer comes in and they aren't stagged or kept at distance, they walk up and hit you no problem.

Reaffirming that mesa's peacemaker spawns the damage on the player and isn't normal hitscan weapon ability. It just blasts you out of existence through the shield.

Also yeah everything we tried that garuda couldn't block from players, volt blocked no problem. That actually upsets me on a personal level ahahaha. Even when I angled his shield up so it's above the ground like garudas mirror, it still blocked flawlessly.

Edited by Annnoth