Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So how do I correctly haggle with riven prices?

Matheoryon

Question

A two people walk in to trade chat both with good rivens of equal measure and worth with the intention of selling them on the market. One such as myself sells it for a reasonable price that was patiently waited for by a seller to whom we both agreed that it had been a fair price. The other dog tails it with a price 6 times higher then the riven sold by the other seller and continuously does it in trade chat to no avail. The seller rejects every offer and continuously advertises it at that price. 

Maybe I am just a little to new at this or something, but is there something about market trading I am missing when it comes to situations like this? Ive tried things like riven discord server for price checks and so on, only to get the usual toxi-city that something is over priced or vis versa, and all the while the over priced rivens are being advertised at high prices. I guess I am just at a lose for the psychology of what is going on. I mean I know people are patient and are probably waiting for the one who buys thousands of plat at a time, but even when I undercut everyone in price I still cant make a sell. 

I dont know, I maybe are just at a lose when it comes to the psychology of this, or is there some haggle game I am missing?

6 answers to this question

the truth is rivens prices are absurd currently and your better off not really overly focusing on them, on initial release 10p-200p was a fair range from bad to good

main thing is the prices fluctuate way to much and its dependent on updates and whats new ect.

other factor is they are treated like bonds for some unknown reason , basically an initial person buys it, rerolls or insta resells for higher , this trend continues till the prices are 1000+ plat or more and make them all look like fools as they all try to squeeze just that little bit more out. its comical 

there was even recent issues on multiple platforms of guilds buying (low & automated) and hording good rivens  and only selling the moderate stat ones for high price, in effect controlling the very economic pool and making a literal profit off the games horrid trade system as its not controlled, moderated or even logical at this point. pretty much stone age gaming trade is all we have , so you will have to play smart or from my personal experience its better to have friends and or people you play with who you also do internal trades with, its safer and they usually are more fair then our toxic trade market 

im sorry i cant give you an exact winning strategy but at this time its a case by case scenario

the other overall truth is rivens were meant to be equalizers for  meh weapons , and just ok for metas . thus why every 3 months they are nerf/buffed to level them out 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Matheoryon said:

there some haggle game

Unless you're a chinese player where it's the customary thing this is quick trip to Ignore city. Raising prices without cause or reason is also a trip to Ignore city. It's cut and dried; give a price you think is fair, pay a price you think is fair. The other person will agree or not, move on after that.

17 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

10p-200p

Lol, this was never true and the soma prime and atterax made quite sure of that.

Edited by -Kittens-

If you're selling then you should have done research as to the current market price of an item using tools such https://semlar.com/rivenprices which give the prices of rivens actually sold, not what people are trying to sell them for.  If you're the buyer and you believe the seller is over pricing their item and they haven't stated in their post it is a hard-fixed price then first query as to whether the price is or is not negotiable.  If it isn't negotiable and the price is absurd then just pass it by.  If they are open to haggling but quote sites such as Riven Market and Warframe Trading as why they have the price set, then be weary.  Those sites are just people posting buy/sell requests for items that you in no way can verify them actually having.  This means market manipulation is entirely possible since no item has to be committed in the post.  If you're buying and the actual current market price (based on actual sales, not just listings) is far higher than you value the item then don't badger people for the lower price, just accept that the market value is not what you value the item as and move on.

34 minutes ago, -Kittens- said:

Unless you're a chinese player where it's the customary thing this is quick trip to Ignore city.

I'm curious - if the price is never stated as concrete in the listing and someone asks if it is negotiable or not, would the mere question (if asked politely) in your eyes be enough to warrant being ignored?

Get rivens when the weapons are not great and no one uses them. Then when DE changes them for the better, you already have them. lol Other than that the seller is the one who makes the call on price. I think Ive seen mods that are not farmable any longer go for 500,000 plats.

Edited by kwlingo

11 hours ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

the truth is rivens prices are absurd currently and your better off not really overly focusing on them, on initial release 10p-200p was a fair range from bad to good

main thing is the prices fluctuate way to much and its dependent on updates and whats new ect.

other factor is they are treated like bonds for some unknown reason , basically an initial person buys it, rerolls or insta resells for higher , this trend continues till the prices are 1000+ plat or more and make them all look like fools as they all try to squeeze just that little bit more out. its comical 

there was even recent issues on multiple platforms of guilds buying (low & automated) and hording good rivens  and only selling the moderate stat ones for high price, in effect controlling the very economic pool and making a literal profit off the games horrid trade system as its not controlled, moderated or even logical at this point. pretty much stone age gaming trade is all we have , so you will have to play smart or from my personal experience its better to have friends and or people you play with who you also do internal trades with, its safer and they usually are more fair then our toxic trade market 

im sorry i cant give you an exact winning strategy but at this time its a case by case scenario

the other overall truth is rivens were meant to be equalizers for  meh weapons , and just ok for metas . thus why every 3 months they are nerf/buffed to level them out 

Thats good advice. Back to farming it seems. Some people also seem to live through warframe and are literally that patient.