Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New option for opting not to be the host or vice versa

Beast85

As title says, is it possible, i think it could be...
To give players the choice to be the host of a game or not to be?
The reason is pretty simple.

ATM i have a really good connection i could be host for players that have a bad ISP (it's clearly not their fault and that's why i should shoulder the weight for them)
Soon i'll have to move and i already know that my connection is terribile. and i would hate to be a burden for other players

So, i think it's doable, so why not give the players the chance to solve one of the problems that are in the game since the beginning?

I'm also pretty sure that someone did asked it in the recent past, but i didn't find it in the search tool, sorry for the possible repost.

cheers!

• Like 5

What would happen if four "not hosts" were grouped together?
What would happen if four "hosts" were grouped together? 
What would happen if someone with terrible connection chose to be always a host?

What makes a connection good for hosting? People think, just because their donwload is okay, they would be good hosts...

Or do you want it so that when you form a group, you can then pick someone to host?

So instead of talking about your personal life, you could have explained things more in detail...

9 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

What would happen if four "not hosts" were grouped together?

Nothing special. This would be possible only if one of them chose to be the host before mission, or if the original host left during mission.

12 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

What would happen if four "hosts" were grouped together? 

That's impossible.

13 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

What would happen if someone with terrible connection chose to be always a host?

Same thing that happens now when you get connected to terrible hosts.

Just now, WhiteMarker said:

In other words the suggestion won't change much. The current issues will remain.

So basically something politicians would do.

I'd love the 'always host' option. I can already do it 90% of the time by pressing 'leave squad' button right after being thrown in someone's squad then restarting the mission. Would be nice if it worked 100% of the time though.

• Like 1

If we're worried about griefing regarding folks choosing to be host when they have terrible connections then we could just go with the 'opt-out' half. It wouldn't completely fix folks with bad connections being hosts but it'd cut down on it and help people who get anxious about hosting. If we still want to be able to have an opt-in then you could make it an option for the group to vote on who they want to host. Just something extra that shouldn't interfere too much with the current system ya know.

It's a really good idea and one I appreciate seeing as an Australian whose 'net has forced people to quit sessions before :< 

We've been asking for that for quite some time. Here's an image I made in 2016 as an example :

FtVPiMX.png

42 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

The current issues will remain.

Only with the few people who would force host with a bad connection. It would be an improvement for all the others. And remember, there's a value of max ping you can set in the options so that you don't join those bad hosts.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lluid said:

We've been asking for that for quite some time. Here's an image I made in 2016 as an example :

FtVPiMX.png

Only with the few people who would force host with a bad connection. It would be an improvement for all the others. And remember, there's a value of max ping you can set in the options so that you don't join those bad hosts.

Wow that seems close to perfection which is why I don't think it will ever see the light of day sadly. +1000 to you

53 minutes ago, Lluid said:

FtVPiMX.png

I feel with this UI example there should be three paces, Rush, Normal and Endurance. Since they give us all the UI elements and such, we could remake the UI screen, too, to get a better example.

1 hour ago, Lluid said:

FtVPiMX.png

WOW that could be a good UI to sort the problem.
I'm sorry if i didn't noticed your post. 
That could improve our gaming experience soo much.
Thank you for sharing it! 
I'm quite new to the forum.. is necroing allowed? if so, can you please share the link to your old post, i would gladly bump it up!

Edited by Beast85

On 2019-11-18 at 1:32 PM, Beast85 said:

I'm quite new to the forum.. is necroing allowed? if so, can you please share the link to your old post, i would gladly bump it up!

Nah it was part of a list of 200 quality of life ideas but the topic was too old, it was deleted.

EDIT : Nevermind, it was archived !

Edited by Lluid

3 hours ago, Lluid said:

From personal experience, max ping doesn't really stop you from joining bad hosts. It's a suggestion at best. If it can't find a host with my chosen max ping (I chose 100), it'll just choose whatever.

The fundamental problem isn't a good host vs bad host (although specifying mission parameters as in the mock up above would be amazing). The problem is that the WF client cannot consistently handle a disconnect gracefully which is something FTP clients have been able to accomplish since the mid 90's.

What should happen is in the event of a host migration, it should try to reconnect you with the remaining team mates, if it is unable to do so, it should make you your own host instead of just dumping you out with a failed mission. Done. it really shouldn't be any harder than that.

While not an ideal solution there is a way to force yourself to host. Start your countdown to go to any relay/cetus/fortuna etc. Then hit escape twice till you are out of navigation map (before countdown finishes). Go back into navigation map and select the mission you want to play. You will be made the host with a paused countdown. Double click the pause button to start your mission.

And in case you don't wanna host. Well, just keep starting the mission  countdown and exit if you are made the host.

Edited by alenkiss