Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SECURATYYY

So how about that "always sprint"

Recommended Posts

Remember hearing they were implementing it some time back. Haven't seen it in any updates or heard any other news about it. Is it still planned to be implemented or did I miss something or was it forgotten?

 

It would free up a keybind for me, so just wondering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggested reversing it from it's current implementation. Walking speed definitely has it's uses in some situations. But, since they went and removed stamina on us years ago, we're tireless superpowered space ninjas...sprint should be the default, always, and you should have to toggle when you want to walk. I hate that it defaults back to walk after several common actions in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. Certain abilities will revert you back. Wisp 4, Grendel 4, etc etc

 

That is the only reason I have it hotkeyed. If we were always sprinting, it would smooth out game play a lot.

 

I'm sure its not as easy as 'flipping the switch', which may be why we haven't seen it. Just wondering if there had been any progress or if it was forgotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uhm...

n8IRLj3.jpg

 

Are you sure you're not being confused with:

  • Tapping a button once so your character keeps running (like in Bethesda games).
  • Toggling sprint mode.

Because I'm pretty sure they were talking about the latter which they did add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what I really love about my Steam Controller? Outer ring bindings. Moving the analog stick all the way to the edge causes the controller to also 'press' the sprint button. No extra button presses needed on my part. I love that big grey plastic lump to bits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thundervision said:

Uhm...

 

Are you sure you're not being confused with:

  • Tapping a button once so your character keeps running (like in Bethesda games).
  • Toggling sprint mode.

Because I'm pretty sure they were talking about the latter which they did add.

They talked about removing walk in a previous devstream, but not a lot of people were agreeing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

They talked about removing walk in a previous devstream, but not a lot of people were agreeing

Ah, I see. Thanks for heads-up :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

They talked about removing walk in a previous devstream, but not a lot of people were agreeing

They should take a page out of Steve Jobs' book and just give people the good things they don't realize they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Thundervision said:

Uhm...

n8IRLj3.jpg

 

Are you sure you're not being confused with:

  • Tapping a button once so your character keeps running (like in Bethesda games).
  • Toggling sprint mode.

Because I'm pretty sure they were talking about the latter which they did add.

Unfortunately, many abilities/interactions/combos break the toggle after using them and put you back to walking speed. The idea Steve talked about was to have us sprinting by default instead of walking and personally, I'd love that option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 час назад, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- сказал:

Walking speed definitely has it's uses in some situations

After playing the game for 5 years I discovered only one particular situation in the whole game where walking is somewhat useful.

You see when you are hacking that spy vault on Grineer ship featuring conveyor lines there's one shortcut where you get through a curved pipe with lasers blocking the path. When you are sprinting and press crouch you can accidentally begin sliding and theoretically can slide a bit up the pipe's curve, triggering a laser. So I prefer using walking here.

I estimate the situation above to be around 0.0001% of the game's content. In the remaining 99.9999% you have to do that annoying action of pressing a hotkey in the beginning of every mission and after certain other actions just to move with reasonable speed.

I think a fair trade would be to cut this feature out of the game altogether and forget about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simply modifying the "Toggle sprint" option in the menu to switch between "Always sprint, push to walk" and "Always jogging, push to sprint" should be enough to make everyone happy.

Edit: I prefer current jogging, sprinting is just for some cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally hope "always sprint" got dropped as a bad idea.  I prefer having the ability to use the sprint key, because a lot of the time I'd rather have the ability to aim more precisely or control my movement more accurately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Removing walking/jogging is asking for the annoyance with constant sliding everytime you try to crouch, a horrible rollercoaster hipfiring with different frames and a massive disaster area with speed buffs and a ton of people asking to be able to completely disable receiving them.

It would be borderline impossible to hipfire most weapons reliably the moment a Volt or Wisp shows up while constantly having to adjust to a massive speed difference on hipfire when swapping between frames.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RX-3DR said:

Removing walking/jogging is asking for the annoyance with constant sliding everytime you try to crouch, a horrible rollercoaster hipfiring with different frames and a massive disaster area with speed buffs and a ton of people asking to be able to completely disable receiving them.

It would be borderline impossible to hipfire most weapons reliably the moment a Volt or Wisp shows up while constantly having to adjust to a massive speed difference on hipfire when swapping between frames.

But but but... "Gotta go fast!"  Because apparently everything needs to be Sonic the Hedgehog.  Even if you don't like Sonic the Hedgehog!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I am against the notion of making sprinting the only standard movement speed. I style myself a more "methodical" fighter when I am not in extreme CQB, wearing out my melee weapons. And I also like to live into the made up narrative of the missions I play, so being a duracell bunny simply "breaks muh immershun!". Hell, there are times I would love to have a really slow walk like in relays when I really want to get that "cinematic" feeling. 

I have nothing against an option to instead have a control option that flips the current settings where standard movement is sprint and holding down the sprint key is walk because there are times you want more precise movements not possible with sprint speed, especially when steroid boosted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...