Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hey DE, can we have a new robotic companion?

CedarDpg

Okay, I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't care... MOAs are okay/cute/etc., but I think a Hyena/Hyena-like robotic companion would be pretty cool to have. A number of my friends on WF agreed when I suggested the idea, so I thought I'd post the suggestion. Seems like it shouldn't be too too crazy to do since the assets are already in-game...just need to balance out the NPC's abilities, etc.

Edited by CedarDpg
  • Like 2

Why would we want more companion/pets?
From six Kubrow species, only one is worth using, the Sahasa for energy orbs. Then came the Kavat, arguably better in utility than any of the dogs, Adarza and Smeeta, with Smeeta being the superior companion all around due to it's Charm preset. Then we got the...MOAs "Oh gee modular companion, they will surely be great like the other modular stuff!" NOPE, just MR fodder with a higher tendency to be downed than dogs and cats. And just recently we got the long promised third Kavat species, the Vasca that while looks great, is otherwise useless.
Pet AI is bad, most of the precepts for their abilities are mediocre, they get downed with incredible ease unless you use a Warframe with high armor/health so that the link mods can help them stay alive.

I want a Corpus Scavenger Drone companion. In my mind, its default precept will have it suck up all the common mods and resources and give the Tenno a rare resource after sucking up enough of the common stuff (it will produce a Rippling Shockwave when this happens). As its second precept, I would like it to be able to disarm enemies with its special vacuum that it ordinarily uses to eat common drops. This thing has got to be the king of resource farming. It needs to beat those dumb cats!

Also, Ospreys are adorable! They also make funny noises!

Your idea has given me an idea (say that I would love to have an Hyena).

Imagine a system where all the enemy robots in the game drop pieces when they die. The pieces work similarly to how to assemble a Warframe or weapon in the foundry: when you have them all, you build it.

In this way we could assemble MOA's, Hyenas, Drones ...

The statistics of these robots would be similar to those of the existing partners (in strength and power), they could be modified with mods, the weapons obtained with them could be interchangeable, among many other possibilities.

i wouldn't mind a friendly Raptor armed with a few laser cannons and missile pods. bonus points if you can pilot it manually in more open areas/free roam.

otherwise, the only pet I really might invest in heavily would be a bird of prey, like Bloodwing from Borderlands. give me a combat birb and I'll drop as much forma as it takes to instagib enemies with it!

6 hours ago, Diavoros said:

Why would we want more companion/pets?
From six Kubrow species, only one is worth using, the Sahasa for energy orbs. Then came the Kavat, arguably better in utility than any of the dogs, Adarza and Smeeta, with Smeeta being the superior companion all around due to it's Charm preset. Then we got the...MOAs "Oh gee modular companion, they will surely be great like the other modular stuff!" NOPE, just MR fodder with a higher tendency to be downed than dogs and cats. And just recently we got the long promised third Kavat species, the Vasca that while looks great, is otherwise useless.
Pet AI is bad, most of the precepts for their abilities are mediocre, they get downed with incredible ease unless you use a Warframe with high armor/health so that the link mods can help them stay alive.

Be that as it may, obviously there are some people who would like additional variety. Perhaps even making them more useful than their predecessors. I will admit the MOAs were kind of a disappointment, as were most of the Kubrows, especially before they got Fetch. However, I consider these things as a kind of accessory, I guess. Want something that looks kinda cool, hopefully DE will make them have some interesting skills/mods/precepts/etc. Perhaps they can have some of their innate attacks, like LN2's Ice Wave or Ng's Fire Wave. Or mkae them like rescue targets with the ability to give them your secondary weapon. At least that would be something new for companions. The pet AI definitely needs some work. As to the precepts, DE should just open up a topic in the Design Council for ideas, if they pursue this idea.

5 hours ago, Methanoid said:

yay, more mastery fodder, just whats so badly needed right now.

I guess that's true, but there are lots of things that aren't really needed. Take for instance all the Ephemera they keep releasing, or Nightwave Armor sets, etc. They should just release those as cosmetics and monetize them via the Market costing platinum. At least then they'd have more opportunities of making additional money off of people who play Fashion Frame.

5 hours ago, peterc3 said:

What would the gameplay niche be?

Hopefully another chance to make a good companion that is more useful than most of their previous releases.

3 hours ago, Awazx said:

Your idea has given me an idea (say that I would love to have an Hyena).

Imagine a system where all the enemy robots in the game drop pieces when they die. The pieces work similarly to how to assemble a Warframe or weapon in the foundry: when you have them all, you build it.

In this way we could assemble MOA's, Hyenas, Drones ...

The statistics of these robots would be similar to those of the existing partners (in strength and power), they could be modified with mods, the weapons obtained with them could be interchangeable, among many other possibilities.

That wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion, though that would make it require really low drop rates. And definitely would trigger's DE's love of tons of layers of RNG as some posters noted above. I guess the way we burn though NPCs, we'd get them eventually. Also, I dunno if the larger robotic NPCs would be practical...for instance, having a Jackal following you around and getting stuck in doorways and stuff would be kind of annoying.

Just now, CedarDpg said:

Hopefully another chance to make a good companion that is more useful than most of their previous releases.

Carrier gives you ammo. Helios scans. Smeeta gives you random buffs. The MOAs hack, stun, etc.

What, specifically, would Hyenas do?

2 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

i wouldn't mind a friendly Raptor armed with a few laser cannons and missile pods. bonus points if you can pilot it manually in more open areas/free roam.

otherwise, the only pet I really might invest in heavily would be a bird of prey, like Bloodwing from Borderlands. give me a combat birb and I'll drop as much forma as it takes to instagib enemies with it!

Oops, meant to respond to this one too. Birds of prey as in organic ones? Or robotic ones? In any case, I'd like to see that. One of their precepts could be a snatch and drop attack where they carry a non-boss NPC up into the air and drop them, though I guess that wouldn't work in enclosed buildings. Hmmm, perhaps pick the non-boss NPC up and throw it at the ground. Though when they hit the ground the body should explode throwing blood and meat and innard chunks everywhere. Could have them persist on the Warframes until they eventually fall off.

3 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Carrier gives you ammo. Helios scans. Smeeta gives you random buffs. The MOAs hack, stun, etc.

Not really sure off the top of my head. Perhaps they could have an innate damage bonus against the enemy factions, for one. I did mention the thing with the secondary weapon like the Rescue Targets. In any case, I'd have to give that thought. Or like I also mentioned, if this is something DE wants to pursue, they could open it up to the Design Council for brainstorming.

4 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Though I wasn't asked and I'm one who would prefer Hyenas as more of a cosmetic thing than a gameplay one, I would figure they would be akin to MOAs but using melee attacks either instead of or in addition to sentinel weapons.

3 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

Though I wasn't asked and I'm one who would prefer Hyenas as more of a cosmetic thing than a gameplay one, I would figure they would be akin to MOAs but using melee attacks either instead of or in addition to sentinel weapons.

That would be another thing. Cosmetic companions could be a thing like Minis are in other games like Guild Wars 2, etc. which would definitely play into the whole Fashion Frame thing and could also be monetized in the Market for platinum, especially if some of them look really cool.

1 minute ago, CedarDpg said:

That would be another thing. Cosmetic companions could be a thing like Minis are in other games like Guild Wars 2, etc. which would definitely play into the whole Fashion Frame thing and could also be monetized in the Market for platinum, especially if some of them look really cool.

I should clarify that I meant the difference between Hyenas and MOAs would be more cosmetic, not that Hyenas would be just cosmetic. Am bad at explaining things today...

5 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

I should clarify that I meant the difference between Hyenas and MOAs would be more cosmetic, not that Hyenas would be just cosmetic. Am bad at explaining things today...

Ah, yeah, that would be an option. Sorry I misinterpreted what you said. Though I definitely think DE/etc. would need to come up with some new precepts/skills/whatever to make people want to get them more than just being mastery fodder.