Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PVP that PVE players might play? Could these make Conclave viable to you?

(PSN)FriendSharkey

Okay question you're PVE and you hate PVP, but what if the PVP was something different and not your standard death match nonsense. What if it was something really different like how Bungie introduced teams fighting the Ai to out score one another... What PVP game actually caught your eye over the years that you were interested in it. I could say TitanFall with its giant mechs and parkour or EVOLVE with a player in control of hulking monster. I could also say the upcoming Predator Hunting Grounds falls into that category.

So I'd like to share a couple PVP modes that I've had a blast playing and that maybe they could interest PVE players to some degree.

Now here's a Warning: These videos are PVP players talking so you know they are full course language. I sought videos that were appropriate, but it seems like there is nothing. So be warned. Please mute your volume if needed. 

CAT AND MOUSE. Warframe application: Spy mission. 3 Players have to crack three vaults or set of objectives in order to escape. One player is in control of a massive infested unit trying to kill them. Because it's Warframe the infested unit cannot be killed but can be stunned only three times...see Capture Target slump animation. If the players continuously shoot the downed attacker it will get a timed invulnerable state mixed with a berserker mode. Creature Player wins if they kill the Warframe Players three times and the Warframe players win if they can meet their objectives and unlock the evacuation pads.  See Squads Space Crew Mod for concept.

TOP FUN. Warframe application: Daragyns vs. K-Drives. Two teams of four. One team are the runners on K-drives while the other team are assigned Daragyns. The runners must reach all check points. Falling off the K-drive is a instant death. Daragyns cannot hover they also must keep always moving. Runners win if they reach the final check point. Daragyn pilots win if they kill all runners...See GTAV Jets vs. Motorcycles.

INDIANA JONES. Warframe application: 8-4 man race set in Lua. Players are pursued by the giant Lua Earth Statue as they navigate an Lua Orokin obstacle course meant to slow them and test their agility. The winner is whoever can reach the evacuation pad and gain the most time within it. Please see Halo Reach Indiana Jones game type.

So these are just three PVP games I've tried and they were pretty fun actually. I thought I'd just share some possible PVP that could be of interest to PVE players that I've encountered that didn't make me hate PVP. 

So Is any of this going to matter?

Of course not, so just stop, there's nothing to get remotely angry about and none of this is gonna come to pass. It's just for your entertainment on the forums and nothing more than your normal can we mix this with this...which, is always no when it comes to any forum commentary...

Anyways cheers and have a great night.

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey
  • Like 1

If I wanted to play PvP (which 99% of the time I don't) then I wouldn't be playing Warframe.  Aside from an exceptional instance of pure inspiration that could only be balanced by a terrible act-of-god disaster occurring somewhere in the world, there's nothing that would change that fact.  To make PvP viable/interesting (for me) it would require such a deviation from what I see Warframe as being that it would no longer be considered Warframe.  At that point it might as well just be a spin-off game set in the Warframe universe, but not part of Warframe itself.

1 minute ago, Jiminez_Burial said:

If I wanted to play PvP (which 99% of the time I don't) then I wouldn't be playing Warframe.  Aside from an exceptional instance of pure inspiration that could only be balanced by a terrible act-of-god disaster occurring somewhere in the world, there's nothing that would change that fact.  To make PvP viable/interesting (for me) it would require such a deviation from what I see Warframe as being that it would no longer be considered Warframe.  At that point it might as well just be a spin-off game set in the Warframe universe, but not part of Warframe itself.

Okay, so no for you...duly noted...

There's misconception that PvP in Warframe isn't popular because "PvE players just don't like pvp/deathmatches". It's simply untrue. Many Warframe players are PvP players in other games and quite enjoy it there. Warframe PvP is simply really niche and quite mediocre in terms of implementation. Since DE failed to recognize that, I don't think I would trust them with any PvP mode.

But if they somehow MUST go PvP, I might consider some kind of Corpus vs Grineer match or maybe Operator arena with limited weapons/abilities. I still don't think it'd ever be popular however. Once you release a broken mess of a mode and keep it there for a while, the reputation remains even if you fix it later. It's too late IMO.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zoffmode said:

There's misconception that PvP in Warframe isn't popular because "PvE players just don't like pvp/deathmatches". It's simply untrue. Many Warframe players are PvP players in other games and quite enjoy it there. Warframe PvP is simply really niche and quite mediocre in terms of implementation. Since DE failed to recognize that, I don't think I would trust them with any PvP mode.

But if they somehow MUST go PvP, I might consider some kind of Corpus vs Grineer match or maybe Operator arena with limited weapons/abilities. I still don't think it'd ever be popular however. Once you release a broken mess of a mode and keep it there for a while, the reputation remains even if you fix it later. It's too late IMO.

Okay, if these were available would you like them, would you be okay if PVE players chose them over normal death match modes? 

22 minutes ago, (PS4)thowed said:

Destiny 2 tried something similar with Gambit.  Still hate it.

Never had a chance to play it...Personally I've been done with Destiny since year 1 January...

Is it the fact that other players can jump in to disrupt a team? Some other reason...?

What if instead of another player they sent over some sentient boss if there was a Warframe variation?

Anything that's competitive in nature is going to have a negative outlook as we've seen not only with conclave but past drama over event leaderboards. Even outright competitive PvE (score attacks, speedrunning, etc) is going to encounter issues with players moaning about meta setups just as much as they already do in Conclave.

Really there isn't anything that will get more players into conclave besides maybe making it clear when others are actually queued up as sitting in empty lobbies waiting for nobody to show up dissuades a lot of players who've wanted to at least try it.

And the issue with trying anything new in the first place is it's already low engagement, any effort put into revitalizing it may very well be wasted dev hours.

Edited by trst

vor 4 Stunden schrieb (PS4)FriendSharkey:

Okay question you're PVE and you hate PVP, but what if the PVP was something different and not your standard death match nonsense. What if it was something really different like how Bungie introduced teams fighting the Ai to out score one another... What PVP game actually caught your eye over the years that you were interested in it. I could say TitanFall with its giant mechs and parkour or EVOLVE with a player in control of hulking monster. I could also say the upcoming Predator Hunting Grounds falls into that category.

So I'd like to share a couple PVP modes that I've had a blast playing and that maybe they could interest PVE players to some degree.

Now here's a Warning: These videos are PVP players talking so you know they are full course language. I sought videos that were appropriate, but it seems like there is nothing. So be warned. Please mute your volume if needed. 

CAT AND MOUSE. Warframe application: Spy mission. 3 Players have to crack three vaults or set of objectives in order to escape. One player is in control of a massive infested unit trying to kill them. Because it's Warframe the infested unit cannot be killed but can be stunned only three times...see Capture Target slump animation. If the players continuously shoot the downed attacker it will get a timed invulnerable state mixed with a berserker mode. Creature Player wins if they kill the Warframe Players three times and the Warframe players win if they can meet their objectives and unlock the evacuation pads.  See Squads Space Crew Mod for concept.

TOP FUN. Warframe application: Daragyns vs. K-Drives. Two teams of four. One team are the runners on K-drives while the other team are assigned Daragyns. The runners must reach all check points. Falling off the K-drive is a instant death. Daragyns cannot hover they also must keep always moving. Runners win if they reach the final check point. Daragyn pilots win if they kill all runners...See GTAV Jets vs. Motorcycles.

INDIANA JONES. Warframe application: 8-4 man race set in Lua. Players are pursued by the giant Lua Earth Statue as they navigate an Lua Orokin obstacle course meant to slow them and test their agility. The winner is whoever can reach the evacuation pad and gain the most time within it. Please see Halo Reach Indiana Jones game type.

So these are just three PVP games I've tried and they were pretty fun actually. I thought I'd just share some possible PVP that could be of interest to PVE players that I've encountered that didn't make me hate PVP. 

Of course not, so just stop, there's nothing to get remotely angry about and none of this is gonna come to pass. It's just for your entertainment on the forums and nothing more than your normal can we mix this with this...which, is always no when it comes to any forum commentary...

vor 4 Stunden schrieb (PS4)FriendSharkey:

I love PvE and PvP, In Destiny 1+2 ive combined around 6000 hours, 60% spent in pve rest in pvp. i tried giving pvp here chance too, i mean im at rank 5 with the pvp guy. for the most part it was just lagging excal spamming games. it was annoying af. this had nothing to do with pvp in most cases. i had to wait 4 ever to find a match  and when it did it was laggy as S#&$ mostly. when there were couple people i got like 6-7 host migration back to back and i had no time to leave since it was always setting up new host , who insta quit then too. to build up a game when some dude is host and when he rage quit everyone else has to do same is simply the most frustrating thing ever. i play solo almost everyting because of that. they need to change those base mechanice

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

Never had a chance to play it...Personally I've been done with Destiny since year 1 January...

Is it the fact that other players can jump in to disrupt a team? Some other reason...?

What if instead of another player they sent over some sentient boss if there was a Warframe variation?

As someone who generally doesn't mind PvP but prefers not to dabble with it, Gambit is a lot less enjoyable than the Crucible.

My main problem mostly being the mechanics for the Gambit. It takes quite a lot of focus to keep up with a game of Gambit because you're constantly looking at a lot of different things each time and listening out to cues from Drifter on when things are around. It effectively combines the competition of PvP with the demand of a high activity PvE mission where you're looking at 3 different things at a time, with some additional distraction mechanics sprinkled on top.

What you end up with, is a game mode that requires dedicated focus unlike PvP where you can, for the most part, play on muscle memory. Generally, one of the appeals of PvP game modes for me is that you generally take out a lot of the complications of PvE with swapping weapons to match shields, baby sitting and picking up objectives and constantly having to adjust your aim to different enemy types. Meanwhile, because of its base level competition and invasion mechanic, you constantly under a very specific pressure unlike PvE, where keeping alive and keeping the objective is what you need to focus on, that only gets worse when an enemy team invades you. It essentially combines the parts I like the least on either side to make something that I really dislike.

What you have is a game mode that is more demanding that a lot of PvE mission and more competitive than basic PvP and what makes it the worst, is that it's stretched over a 2 out of 3 system with the first two rounds usually taking about 5 minutes. It's not something you can enjoy for a relaxing downtime and it feels like a slog to work through the weekly missions for it with how long it takes.

One of the key points in the examples you've given is that a lot of these are more casual and relaxing forms of PvP where even if you lose, most people can easily laugh it off. The Gambit is a game mode where if you lose, you usually feel extremely annoyed over because sometimes, all it takes is a few bad steps from your teammates to throw your progress back really far. Often times, it doesn't feel like the enemy team did well and won but rather, your team did bad and lost. Even winning doesn't really provide a sense of accomplishment, it's mostly a sense of relief that you've made some extra progress on your weekly bounties.

If I had to pin the one thing I tend to not like about competitive shooters and why I'm not fond of them...I think time-to-kill would be vying for the number one slot.

I've tried many times to play competitive shooters in the past, I always found myself frustrated at it, like there is just no time to react and most fights are decided by who shoots who in the back of the head first. I know I'm gonna get plenty of "Git gud" esque responses for saying that is what I don't like about them, but it is the truth.

I've always enjoyed competitive games that leaned more towards having to think about what you're doing than who can whip their mouse around fastest, even though I won't touch a MOBA with a 20 foot pole these days I legitimately had more fun and felt more like my actions mattered back when I played LoL. That's also why I enjoy fighting games more than shooters, because of the back and forth (though a pro could knock me out without even trying) and having to predict the next move your foe makes.

Though it probably speaks volumes that the two competitive shooters that I've actually enjoyed the most were TF2 and Splatoon, which both don't go for that "twitch reflex" style of shooter. Sure twitch reflexes help in those games, but a person isn't unbeatable just because they aim faster.

Overall I just don't think I like the "twitch shooter" genre as a whole, but that's just me.

It's nice to see people still trying to come up with interesting ideas for PvP in Warframe, but I'm afraid that it's still a no from me.  I picked Warframe as a game to play Specifically because of its focus on PvE gameplay, I'm not interested in PvP in any incarnation.  I've tried several PvP games over the years I've been playing video games and I've come to the understanding that PvP gameplay just doesn't interest me at all.

I would be interested in Conclave if it actually provided some meaningful rewards and offered an alternative to PvE grind. For example you could earn conclave creds, which you could later exchange in a "gift shop" for resources, potatoes, formas, maybe experience tokens for weapons and warframes (since you can't level in Conclave).

Edited by Mr.Fluffins

For me personally?  No.  I despise PVP in general, and everything about it specifically.  I don't enjoy competing with other players, I strongly dislike being killed, and I despise the toxic, elitist and immature behaviors that PVP seems to attract.  Is *everyone* who likes PVP a foulmouthed jerkbag who thinks teabagging and "yo mamma" jokes are the height of intellectual comedy?  Of course not.  But I don't *remember* the ones who are capable of acting like normal humans, because I'm too distracted by the shrieking twelve year olds who want to impress me with their extensive mastery of four letter words.

I could see PvP actually being somewhat fun if its basically made simpler and old school like unreal tournament for instance. Complete with weapon pickups on the maps and all frames ending up with no abilities and the same amount of hp/shields/armor when taking part in it. 

So it would be simple, no mods or abilities. Just load up a deatchmatch or something and go for it with warframes normal mobility and whatever weapons were available on the map.

• Like 2

Nope, wouldnt have any impact on me. When I wanna PvP I play a game designed for it with fun game modes and often the option to mess around while still being productive and effective for my team. Being the A-hole mining up the enemy base, booby-trapping the enemy vehicles or sniping out an airstrip in the Battlefield games. Or like when I played WoW, camping critical pathways either as a rogue, druid or hunter to kill or simply disrupt the enemy line trying to pass through by killing stragglers or knocking whole armies of the pathway, forcing them to lose time and people as they had to backtrack.

WF PvP is too crammed with not enough options for worthwhile goofing. Kinda the same reason I havent played Overwatch in a very long time. When I do play WF I tend to pick the heroes I can be annoying and effective with at the same time to break the very linear approach of the game. Ashe and Torbjörn are big favs since they have unique approaches to it, same as Moira since you can focus on being a massive pita to the enemy with random shadow orbs going boink-boink-boink between the walls while still keeping your team up.

1 hour ago, EmberStar said:

For me personally?  No.  I despise PVP in general, and everything about it specifically.  I don't enjoy competing with other players, I strongly dislike being killed, and I despise the toxic, elitist and immature behaviors that PVP seems to attract.  Is *everyone* who likes PVP a foulmouthed jerkbag who thinks teabagging and "yo mamma" jokes are the height of intellectual comedy?  Of course not.  But I don't *remember* the ones who are capable of acting like normal humans, because I'm too distracted by the shrieking twelve year olds who want to impress me with their extensive mastery of four letter words.

This. 

I'll add to that I utterly loathe the semi-formal 'rules' that spring up around PvP content. The only games this doesn't seem to happen in are ones built specifically for PvP, and warframe ain't that, so 

Sorry but, like other people said before me, if I wanted to play PvP I wouldn't be playing Warframe. In my case it'd be FPS stuff.

PvP will never work in WF anyway; what I mean by that is there will never be more PvP WF players than there are today. It's just a fact.

An obstacle course would be fun, and you could reuse it for other game types. I’d love to see a roller derby variant where two teams run around a track and everyone scores points per lap and a few bonus points for holding the lead. Players could also mildly interfere with each other to hold the lead just like in real roller derby.

• Like 1