Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

High Noon Gunblade stance is schizophrenic

(PSN)Astralwanderung

Pre-update, it was such a nice style... now it has crazy combos that displace you eight times in three seconds... you can't lock on enemies and find yourself slashing and shooting in random places that are very hard to control; exponentially so when the action gets intense. You start with an enemy in front of you, and after two blows you have no idea where it is while you're slash-shooting the air, so you have to either move back (towards the camera, where the enemy has remained) or rotate the camera. Which also breaks your forward + melee combo (or forward + aim/block + melee).

In addition, from what I see, the shots have very narrow trajectories, so they miss very, very easily, amid all that schizophrenic displacement. Any chance we'll get the old nice combos back, or a semblance of lock on, or whatever might fix this?

I haven't tried all stances for all weapons, just a few, which seemed alright, but I wouldn't be surprised if this happens with other stances too.

Both gunblade stances suffer from this. In my experience the best way to use gunblades is to just hold the melee button down to do a fast attack followed by a heavy attack. That's the only move I ever want to do with gunblades, just keep spamming that over and over. The rest of the stance might as well not exist. Being able to accidentally do other moves, especially the melee slashes, is in my mind a detriment.

Edit: Slam attacks from the air are also useful, as pointed out below.

Edited by SordidDreams

Just now, SordidDreams said:

Both gunblade stances suffer from this. In my experience the best way to use gunblades is to just hold the melee button down to do a fast attack followed by a heavy attack. That's the only move I ever want to do with gunblades, just keep spamming that over and over. The rest of the stance might as well not exist. Being able to accidentally do other moves, especially the melee slashes, is in my mind a detriment.

This, also slam attacks especially with Redeemer has pretty good CC. Also spin attack isn't terrible. 

12 minutes ago, (PS4)Astralwanderung said:

now it has crazy combos that displace you eight times in three seconds..

Yeah phase 2 of melee 3.0 really didn't help gunblade combos at all. 

1 minute ago, (XB1)SixGunLove said:

This, also slam attacks especially with Redeemer has pretty good CC. Also spin attack isn't terrible. 

Yeah phase 2 of melee 3.0 really didn't help gunblade combos at all. 

Oh yeah, slam attacks are also good.

Eh, Bullet Dance was like this even before that. I don't remember what High Noon was like, only that it was worse than BD, so I never used it.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Astralwanderung said:

now it has crazy combos that displace you eight times in three seconds... you can't lock on enemies and find yourself slashing and shooting in random places that are very hard to control

Actually, Gunblade combos were always a bit wonky. Too much displacement and gunfire that goes all over the place.

The only solution (IMO) is to completely rework Gunblade stances like this:

Separate gunfire combos and blade combos (mostly).   Remove all dispacing moves from Gunfire combos.   Gap closer is always pure Slashes.

Add "gunfire slash" moves.  Gunfire slash = Gunblade is being continuously fired while you perform a Slash, increasing range and damage of the attack greatly.  This can be used for Slide attack and "ending moves" from Slash combos.  ( Just imagine that your Redeemer fires 4 shots around you during slide spin )

Edited by Kainosh

19 minutes ago, Kainosh said:

Gunblade combos were always a bit wonky.

I agree with that.

People only used them as infinite ammo guns,
and the novelty feature wound up being comparable or better in some cases to real guns.
So a non gun with a blade was a better gun.. but with a useless blade.
It appears they've endeavored to rework that, which is just fine.
Trouble there is, people grew attached to the novelty feature,
and now something Other than that, just isn't the same.

Your thoughts on the changes are good, though..
If one stance is more gun, you can bet which one you, and everyone else uses.
The continuous fire would be good on the Sarpa, but Redeemer would be deafening. lol

I think the bullets being the Combo multiplier for Redeemer,
and the combo counter being the bullets for Sarpa might work..
Though, I still don't think that meets the needs of people already used to firing it as it was.
It's a real tricky situation for DE. I know I'd have a heck of a time trying to re-balance that
to something that pleases everyone.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Astralwanderung said:

Pre-update, it was such a nice style... now it has crazy combos that displace you eight times in three seconds... you can't lock on enemies and find yourself slashing and shooting in random places that are very hard to control; exponentially so when the action gets intense. You start with an enemy in front of you, and after two blows you have no idea where it is while you're slash-shooting the air, so you have to either move back (towards the camera, where the enemy has remained) or rotate the camera. Which also breaks your forward + melee combo (or forward + aim/block + melee).

In addition, from what I see, the shots have very narrow trajectories, so they miss very, very easily, amid all that schizophrenic displacement. Any chance we'll get the old nice combos back, or a semblance of lock on, or whatever might fix this?

I haven't tried all stances for all weapons, just a few, which seemed alright, but I wouldn't be surprised if this happens with other stances too.

Hell yeah, I hate these random movements as well, glad that I am not alone.

From my point of view, any combo like E,E,E or block+E, should be just in place, and the ones with forward+E or forward+block+E should have some jumps, dashes, slides, whatever. If I hit an enemy facing me, I don't want to find myself behind that enemy in a split second.