Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back4Blood

New Archwing flight system

18 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

I am so glad that they changed it to the current version

While the new blinking needs some tweaking (kinda sucks for users of the combined sprint/roll key) this is the best iteration they've done so far. I can actually control the damn thing now.

19 hours ago, Back4Blood said:

. I do think that slowly loosing speed was way more awesome and more realistic (as it was before the update) than this instant 60-0 in 0.1 seconds.

This is what everyone wanted to be removed and what made archwing so bad in the 1st place. It's good that the inertia has been removed and we can stop precisely where we want instead of gliding.

1 hour ago, zoffmode said:

That's cause it's actual sprinting so regular physics still apply. Archwing can just have fancy flight system that doesn't care about inertia.

The human mind is very good at physics, subconsciously. It's how we're able to walk and balance as well as we do on two rather small feet and with minimal counterbalances. Just because it's realistic in-universe doesn't stop the human mind from feeling that something's off when something stops dead in its tracks from such high speeds.

Yeah, having had a chance to try it out myself, I'd say perhaps tripling/quadrupling the stop distance would solve the weirdness of how it handles. Don't need insane vectored momentum like we used to have, but stopping on a dime like this does feel off.

1 hour ago, Gio21 said:

i have to press shift to speed right? but then i have to double press shift to blink also? this does not feel right
slowing down to blink...

Blink is the roll button.

Could you please remove this system from Titania? its very unpleasant and extremely clunky compared to the original flightstyle. Also Dex Pixia is slow as heck now, it shoots so awkward and sirupy even though i got a maxed out Lethal Torrent on it with a 60% fire rate. This is not how i wanted to start playing new content ;-; 

6 hours ago, Loza03 said:

The human mind is very good at physics, subconsciously. It's how we're able to walk and balance as well as we do on two rather small feet and with minimal counterbalances. Just because it's realistic in-universe doesn't stop the human mind from feeling that something's off when something stops dead in its tracks from such high speeds.

Guess I'm a weird person, I have no issues with dead stops in video games.

Never really have, I like momentum just fine in things where it has a use, platformers and racing games being the big two that come to mind.

But anything is better than the greased up banana peel on an ice rink physics we had before imo.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Oakjaw:

Which is (Default on PC) the same button as run on the keyboard: Shift (hold to run, tap to roll). So, yes, to blink, we currently go slower.

I can see merits of the new Archwing movement system, especially for the "closed quarters" missions inside the wrecked spacecrafts, but damn it feels so wrong. Consider my enthusiasm for a Empyrean and Railjack-fights curbed.

As someone else described its now a flying brick. No newtonion physics at all now. Imagine the railjack will fly like one too 

1 hour ago, Aldain said:

Guess I'm a weird person, I have no issues with dead stops in video games.

Never really have, I like momentum just fine in things where it has a use, platformers and racing games being the big two that come to mind.

That's fair, everyone's different.

1 hour ago, Aldain said:

But anything is better than the greased up banana peel on an ice rink physics we had before imo.

Oh god yes, please don't take my requests as wanting that back. Just a small amount, more like how frames have from their sprint.

Makes me feel like a Hummingbird, or a drone.

I kinda like it.

I do wonder why Itzal was given Valkyr's Harpoon though. Are we supposed to be hidden, and using it for fishing(enemies)?

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

Oh god yes, please don't take my requests as wanting that back. Just a small amount, more like how frames have from their sprint.

A fair compromise all things considered, I mean a bit of give can make for smooth turning and cornering after all.

I feel ... conflicted about the new physics. On one side being able to dead stop is useful because while out in PoE I could see creatures, stop where I wanted and dart them a lot easier now.

Using less buttons in order to sprint is good.

The stopping physics seem off. Coming off of the throttle means instant, dead, like you've run into a wall kind of stop. 

I also hate that we can't loop or barrel roll anymore. I liked doing that. That was half the fun for me, taking fun and weird evasives instead of blinking, or just trolling Grineer with fancy flying.

I do have to say I'm having fun with the new yeet line we have, more for trolling than anything else really. It's nice doing to the Grineer what they've done to me in game since I started playing.

Also the "does it yeet?" aspect to things. I've had some surprising results so far 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Butterfly85 said:

I also hate that we can't loop or barrel roll anymore. I liked doing that. That was half the fun for me, taking fun and weird evasives instead of blinking, or just trolling Grineer with fancy flying.

They added those back in the latest hotfix but they don't actually serve any useful purpose anymore. With the increase in the base movement speeds, they don't really give a burst of speed in comparison to just moving to the side normally. Combined with the ability to turn on a dime, they're not useful for dodging obstacle, making them nothing more but press roll + direction to emote. They're so poorly implemented that if you start any of them but release the direction key, you can stop the movement mid-animation.

Quick turns are completely gone from space combat though.

I'll miss barrel rolls, and flying inverted, but with those exceptions, they hit a home run. It really is a top notch change, for not only Archwing, but Titania as well. Now if only Titania could blink. 

we already do stuff that challenges physics' laws, so a form of zero-inertia space maneuvering is fine with me.
Blink skill added to all frames, meh why not, it may offer chances to use other archwings.
Itzal's new 1 is hilarious, but haven't found any practical use for it except being fuel for endless meme

All this being said, anyone else find it strange that all this support for Archwing's previous flight systems pretty much didn't exist until they changed it?

...Or support for Archwing in general didn't exist before this change happened?

Seems a bit odd to me.

Im glad they removed momentum, but to be honest, now is kinda weird when is press S to get insta stop, but that is something i have get used to

11 hours ago, Draakjuh said:

Could you please remove this system from Titania? its very unpleasant and extremely clunky compared to the original flightstyle. Also Dex Pixia is slow as heck now, it shoots so awkward and sirupy even though i got a maxed out Lethal Torrent on it with a 60% fire rate. This is not how i wanted to start playing new content ;-; 

I normally don't complain about updates to systems but this new flight mechanic feels very janky with titania.  Her dex pixia definitely seems amiss, feels very slow firing now and did they update the sounds as it sounds different. 

18 hours ago, Oakjaw said:

Re-binding a key is hard. I have to go to a menu with too much letters.

Too many words are scary.

1 hour ago, Aldain said:

All this being said, anyone else find it strange that all this support for Archwing's previous flight systems pretty much didn't exist until they changed it?

...Or support for Archwing in general didn't exist before this change happened?

Seems a bit odd to me.

Nothing to complain about in the forum if it's working fine. On the few occasions when someone jumps into the forum to complain about Archwing, you might see some people say that Experiemental Flight is better. But there's not very much value in it for us to jump in and say "git gud" because that's the only thing you can say when someone is mad that they can't grasp the basics of flying a plane or moving in space. There's very little point to try to convince people to not hate something that they're set on hating everything about.

Just imagine if they removed Aim Gliding and Wall Latching tomorrow. There's barely going to be a thread about how much people like them before but sure as hell, there are going to be a group of people who would be annoyed by it.

I find the new movement system awesome. I can fly Titania through levels pretty fast now. She's now one of my favourite frames, upgraded from extreme benchwarmer.

how do i blink now if i have sprint set to toggle? can we please get separate options for sprint toggle/hold for archwings? or a separate keys for sprint hold and sprint toggle, like we already have with crouch? i have crouch set to shift, and sprint set to a mouse button, and it gives me great control with waframes since i don't need to constantly hold down a key to sprint. i just turn it on at the start of the mission and don't touch it again. but with archwings, this results in me having very little control in flight. now with the removal of blink, I can't use the new replacement for blink at all.

edit- nvm, i rebound capslock to roll, and it blinks now without removing afterburner. A separate sprint toggle/roll option for archwing would still be great though.