Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Many Of The Swords Look Like Blunt Toys.

Aspari

Opinions~

In all seriousness, that's the way you see it. The Gram, for one, isn't meant to be sharp. Lighting fixtures aren't sharp.

The Prova is a stun-stick. It's not meant to be sharp.

The mire has teeth-things. Whatever, I call them teeth.

The rest look pretty sharp to me.

I agree with the above poster; many of the weapons have special edges and are not meant to be sharp.

Plasma Sword/Gram/Prova have a sort of "lightsaber" energy blade.

Mire is a living weapon that "eats"/poisons enemies.

Galatine is a greatsword which never focused on having super sharp edges, but even so if you look closely you will see that it actually does have a pretty sharp edge.

Heat Sword/Dagger do look a bit on the blunt side, but they are also heated weapons and so don't need a heated edge (in fact this is more realistic seeing as a sharp and heated edge would result in a more delicate blade).

Jaw Sword looks a tad blunt as well, but the whole double helix blade is unrealistic for combat anyway so who cares? =p

Can't comment on Pangolin as I've missed the past 3 alerts by like an hour each.

Do you have your settings on low or are you playing at a lower resolution? Those may make the weapons look more blunt than they actually are.  If that's not the case then I dunno what's up but the swords look fine to me.  Though I do have to say the damage output of most longswords is enough to make me think they really are blunt...can't wait for that damage rework...

Pangolin sword looks as sharp as the Cronus. A very delicate blade.

Heat sword is more of a sabre with only one edge but that edge seems just sharp enough to me.

Dark Sword looks kinda blunt but it sure is pointy.

Mire has piercing spikes that inject poison.

Galatines blade is quite thick though.

technically speaking, an axe-like heavy and relatively dull blade (whatever the weapon's actual shape) is significantly better at dealing damage to armored opponents.

Swords used in the middle ages (and taken up by fantasy games) were a rich man's toy, useful against light armor and civilians, were more a status symbol. When they had to fight guys in full plate they used maces and axes and pikes and whatever had momentum and a blunt edge.

Also, ever tried hitting hard substances with a metal blade? Even hard wood, no need to hit rocks. The cutting edge dulls before the tenth hit.

An axe's edge is already relatively dull but can pull through as it has a ton more momentum than any sword, in a vastly more maneuverable package.

lets not forget that even a dull blade can cut.

put enough weight and/or speed behind something, even a butter knife, and you can still cut stuff.

not everything has to be sharp as hell to actually cut.

that said, some weps could use a little sharpening.

To make your point, people who are on a budget can use butter knives as throwing knives.

They work just as well.

EDIT: They just bend a lot. Not too reliable in the long run.

Edited by MageMeat

In all likelihood the edges of weapons rendered in-game are a bit thicker than perhaps the developers want them to be, simply so that they don't cause issues with rendering and/or antialiasing. The last time I played through Skyrim I tried out a mod that made a bunch of bladed weapons sharper looking, and while I'm sure it looks great on machines that can handle 16x AA settings, my machine can't. (Yet.) And without lots and lots of antialiasing, whenever I looked at enemy swords along the edge, they appeared as a pixelated line. Not very pretty. Warframe doesn't have super-amazing antialiasing either, so I'm guessing that slightly thicker edges allow for nicer-to-look-at weapons in-game.

technically speaking, an axe-like heavy and relatively dull blade (whatever the weapon's actual shape) is significantly better at dealing damage to armored opponents.

Swords used in the middle ages (and taken up by fantasy games) were a rich man's toy, useful against light armor and civilians, were more a status symbol. When they had to fight guys in full plate they used maces and axes and pikes and whatever had momentum and a blunt edge.

Also, ever tried hitting hard substances with a metal blade? Even hard wood, no need to hit rocks. The cutting edge dulls before the tenth hit.

An axe's edge is already relatively dull but can pull through as it has a ton more momentum than any sword, in a vastly more maneuverable package.

Well, when they weren't just using spears/pikes.