Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Galatine (And The Other Heavies) Could Use A New Downed Attack Animation

-Mira-

I've always hated the heavy melee downed attack, it's slow, clunky, and lacks a good sense of flow or weight. However, it seems especially out of place on the Galatine, a greatsword, when it was clearly designed with axes and hammers in mind. All the Galatine's attacks are swift and weighty, except that clumsy downed attack. (NOT TO MENTION that on the sword it also seems to have a nasty problem of usually hitting to the side of the downed enemy instead of actually hitting them).

A possibility that, in my opinion, would be far more fitting would be for the warframe to lift the sword up (tip facing down) and plunge it into the enemy.

Alternatively, if its desired for the feel of smashing the enemy with the blade, rather than piercing it, to be preserved, an overhead slam could be used instead (maybe something along the lines of the greatsword charge attack in MH3 

). In fact, an animation like that could be used for all the heavy weapons. (Differentiating the animation from a regular attack could be an issue, but i think a long wind up time and pausing for a beat after the downswing would probably be enough)

The current animation feels slow and clumsy, like the warframe is struggling against the weight of the weapon, because, well, they're slooowly lifting the weapon up against its weight, which right well would be difficult and clumsy. The idea behind heavy weapons is that you should make the wight work FOR you, not against you. You give the weapon some direction and then let gravity do the brunt of the work for you. The Galatine's current regular attack animations demonstrate this pretty well, though the best example by far would be the Scindo. When you swing that thing around it definitely feels like a heavy weapon, your swings utilize the mass and momentum of the weapon rather than just solely operating on the warframe's own strength.

Honestly, come to think of it, the current animation could be salvaged too, if it were just faster and punchier, especially on the upswing. Instead of slowly lifting up the weapon and then immediately plunging it down, use the weapon's momentum to swing it forward and up quickly, so it feels like you're using the weapon's inertia instead of lifting it all on your own, hesitate for a beat at the top of the arc, then plunge it down. (The realization came to me when i thought about the animation for the skull hammer in LoZ: The Wind Waker (can't find a decent video, sadly). While it's a far cartoonier game, the hammer animation isn't all that dissimilar from the warframe heavy downed attack, just far more exaggerated. And that exaggeration is what gives it such a good, satisfying, weighty feel. While naturally warframe's animations probably shouldn't be THAT exaggerated, some amount of exaggeration is necessary in any animation to give it the right feel.)

Any of these suggestions could work, or certainly there are plenty of other possible ideas i just haven't thought of yet, but the main point here is that i feel there needs to be a change to this animation, and I hope other members of the warframe community will agree.

P.S. In going back to look at the animation in more detail, it really became obvious how unacceptably bad the Galatine's downed attack is at hitting its target. Seriously, DE, if you take nothing else from this thread (assuming it gets read at all), fix the alignment on the attack or give that S#&$ an AOE. Srsly. (This might be a problem that deserves an entire separate thread, really)

A possibility that, in my opinion, would be far more fitting would be for the warframe to lift the sword up (tip facing down) and plunge it into the enemy.

wait, what? i thought that's what the Execute attack was....

i'll need to pay attention and double check then.

i could've sworn the animations for Gram and Galatine were identical, and Gram certainly plunges the sword into the enemy. 

i'm scared to see how far Galatine goes, hehe, since Gram was already looking like it was piercing the ships' hull with it's Execute attack.

Edited by taiiat

I stand by what I've said before here. I swore that once I saw my Warframe get her hammer lodged in the skull of an enemy, after a downward over-the-head Executioner chop, after which she had to tug it once or twice to get it out. It was my pink Brokk Fragor, and it was amazing.

I agree with this, I'm not a huge fan of the "Ground attack" animation of heavy weapons.. I want to see that one that I did get again..

wait, what? i thought that's what the Execute attack was....

i'll need to pay attention and double check then.

i could've sworn the animations for Gram and Galatine were identical, and Gram certainly plunges the sword into the enemy. 

i'm scared to see how far Galatine goes, hehe, since Gram was already looking like it was piercing the ships' hull with it's Execute attack.

The longsword execute does a quick one-handed piercing attack, I have no experience with the Gram so I can't say what it does, but the Galatine shares its animation with Scindo and Hate, presumably most other heavies too but those are all the ones I've used.