Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Leaving Warframe for good... Have fun, everyone. :)

NovusKnight

My journey as a warframe player started in 2016. it was a troublesome period of my life. Warframe was the game I played most then, as it was exceedingly outstanding and satisfying to play.

I spent countless hours grinding for content, surpassing myself, and being surprised by newer and newer builds.

Nowadays...

I haven't really been having much fun for the last two years. I peaked by that time, so to speak. all questlines made, all guns viable, forma everywhere. This is also when open worlds started being the focus.

DE has changed its vision for warframe. It feels like it is becoming more casual and mass-pleasing with every other update. not that this is a bad thing, but I do miss those old days when things truly felt challenging.

I barely have a goal in playing anymore. half the time I join I quit within five minutes, as just doing a menial mission feels like a chore, since there's nothing I need.

Kuva Liches kept me on my toes for a week, until I concluded the experience is designed to be as thanklessly grindy and time-consuming as possible from a design perspective.

adding the trade ability was the nail in the coffin.

for a very long time, I haven't bothered farming anymore. there's a LOT of content I don't enjoy. I hate archwing. I hate Defection. I loathe the Nidus mission. I feel bored in many mission types. I HATE both open worlds and wand nothing to do with the retarded grind found in them. I don't touch Eidolons or Orbs with a 10ft pair of tweezers. I just dislike this content.

So, I simply do my sorties and occasional fast Syndicate mission, and simply sell up my drops - rivens, etc, for platinum, which I then use to acquire the things I legit can't be assed to farm for. that's how I got Harrow. that's how I got 80% of my prime equipment. as well as Hema. as well as many, many other examples. The truth of the matter is that at this point, I only play to get platinum which I really have nothing worthwhile to spend it on. weapons? don't need more. frames? have all I need. etc.

I recently realized that I end up organizing much of my day around the best timing to do X in warframe. sortie refresh. daily rewards. syndicate missions. relic cycles.

and I realized an important personal truth: Warframe is designed in such a way that my enjoyment of it is directly reliant on a server's settings and timing to bring up missions and rewards of interest.

I grow tired of not having control over my fun. for instance, I returned to Borderlands 2, in which I can have similar build variety and enjoy equaly insane gunplay - but I can also mod it to my heart's content, and play whenever and however the hell I want. I don't need to show up daily to maximize sortie drops. I don't need to keep tabs on Warframe Market to make profits... I legit only need to play the darn game to enjoy it. not so much here.

Skyrim in particular is what just killed Warframe for me. I have complete and total control over that game, which I'm modding for over 4 years, to such a degree I can barely call it skyrim anymore.

thing is, I'm gravitating more and more towards single player and personal control over my own fun and enjoyment of the game.

and after all this analysis, I conclude that Warframe is not worth the 30+GB of HDD space it occupies in my machine, or the 3+ hours a day I spend doing my grind. I can have much more enjoyment off of other games, and those 30+GB are enough for plenty of variety.

I hope this lengthy post does clarify one thing. I like this community in general, and I don't want to do a "IMA LEAVE" post that disses DE for some arbitrary motive.

I am abandoning Warframe and DE out of personal taste and preference. I consider Warframe many positive things.

Warframe has incredible artistry in its many facets, from design and concepts to lore. even music. many quests are incredible; with personal favourite being the Sacrifice.

Warframe has the single most forgiving monetization system I've ever seen in any live service, period. I could go as long as 6 months without ever running out of platinum and hitting low double-digits just off of how thriving the market is.

Warframe is a cautionary tale of success on how one should not dismiss an idea we understand little of, as despite all naysayers it grew to be a titan among free-to-play games, and even gave several AAA titles a run for their money.

I love the game that is Warframe, and the vision that fueled it, and if I could, I would work in Digital Extremes to make it better. Sadly, laboral satisfaction does not equal recreational satisfaction, you see. I have the utmost respect for the diligence and dedication DE continues to show over the years, and I admire their audacity. Their efforts are truly inspiring to a multimedia/gamedesign student such as myself.

I wish literaly everyone the best. I hope DE never loses creativity and keeps greatness coming. I hope you all continue to enjoy a game that has so much to offer. I hope the story comes to a memorable ending, and I may one day in a year or two even reinstall just to catch up with the main quests.

Farewell, Dreamers!

• Like 1

vor 4 Minuten schrieb NovusKnight:

DE has changed its vision for warframe. It feels like it is becoming more casual and mass-pleasing with every other update. not that this is a bad thing, but I do miss those old days when things truly felt challenging.

You mean when Trinity gave full 100% DR? Or when Nova 4 was instant? Or when rhino gave full invuln? I call BS on this one, you were just challenged back then because you gear was much worse than it is now.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Drachnyn said:

You mean when Trinity gave full 100% DR? Or when Nova 4 was instant? Or when rhino gave full invuln? I call BS on this one, you were just challenged back then because you gear was much worse than it is now.

Pretty sure all of those things were before 2016.

Still, Power Creep has grown exponentially over time with no real opposition.

The point OP makes about doing things on our time rather than DE's timers couldn't be more emphasized. We used to just jump into whatever we wanted back in the day. Now there's always a window, time gate or mission duration. It's still one of the major perks Void Keys still have over Relics.

4 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Leaving so soon? Empyrean is about to drop ya know.

Yeah, but...eh? 

I mean, Empyrean was sorta interesting when they teased it, but I haven't played since August and there's like a bazillion stuff to do to catch up. Although my reasoning isn't the OPs, it seems like it would be easier to just not come back.