Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn's Contagion Need Knockdown Immune

zzang

soon we will get the armor update 2 and we already got a nice tenno melee weapon (galatine) but contagion is still a extremely useless skill usually when me or other people i know want to go melee at least for the first few defensive waves we prefer rhino - why?

because his iron skin makes him immune to any knockdowns and powerdrain. So contagion doesnt protect against damage like iron skin does but to make it fair it could get knockdown protection atleast?

a second suggestion could be to give saryn lifesteal ability with contagion but i couldnt come up with a formular that would balance out fast small weapons with heavy slow charge weapons

i find with a fair amount of distribution between slow and fast weapons contagion could make it to a decent melee skill other than beeing useless.

Edit: on Paper contagion right now is a decent damage buff but in practice its totally useless because every fraction have enemies with knockdowns that make saryn going into melee pretty useless.

on a sidenote also banshees silence need a drastic rework its useless as contagion.

Edited by zzang

Or it could just do more damage and apply to her guns too. Contagion is a weapon buff, not a cheap excuse to be a fool with your slow charging weapons. Saryn isn't Rhino. Use your defensive skill Molt to reduce aggro or spread Venom to groups of enemies. Maybe you can use a well time dodge roll to avoid getting staggered by runners or learn your Charge time and take the face off your enemies when the moment they enter the range. I'm assuming you only melee enemies you can kill in one hit. You, again, are not playing Rhino. If you find using melee without Iron Skin annoying then you shouldn't be doing it and should use something else.

How about we make Contagion able to noticeably do its job first? Then we can move on to giving every Saryn an unflinching, pansy mode skill.

Uhh, what?

Contagion doesn't need that kind of buff. Saying that it does is like implying that Overheat needs the same effect because it 'forces' players to get close to melee range. Rather, you're trying to make a point that any melee-enhancing buffs requires knockdown immunity, which is absurd TBH.

If you think Rhino's Iron Skin is the way to do melee, then continue doing it. Don't ever start crying for unnecessary buffs when things don't go your way with other frames (In this case, Saryn).

Contagion isn't useless but it would be great if it had some better melee suport, like adding 50% of the damage and not 10% of the base damage, and i agree, it should at least protect from stuns and knockdowns to have more utility

Where did you get the information that Contagion adds only 10% of the base damage?

Uhh, what?

Contagion doesn't need that kind of buff. Saying that it does is like implying that Overheat needs the same effect because it 'forces' players to get close to melee range. Rather, you're trying to make a point that any melee-enhancing buffs requires knockdown immunity, which is absurd TBH.

If you think Rhino's Iron Skin is the way to do melee, then continue doing it. Don't ever start crying for unnecessary buffs when things don't go your way with other frames (In this case, Saryn).

It might help if you actually posted a reason. In all that, all you've got is " no you're wrong "

Why doesn't it need a buff ? why is it better to get bounced around trying to use contagion than being able to just stand there pounding things with iron skin on ? Almost every mob that can counter with a melee attack has a stagger or knockback/down attack. In my experience trying to use contagion on groups of mobs ends up being wasted while I lie face down on the floor or bounced around like a ping-pong ball.

Contagion could use a rework in general. Saryn lacks either a tanking skill or invisibility, and with only 100 shields she isn't really fit for hit and running with melee weapons. Contagion simply offers too small a bonus to a frame that really can't make much use of it.

Actually Saryn in general could use a rework. She is actually worse than Volt in my opinion right now. Yes, Miasma does good damage but its all she has going for her (Molt's just a crappier Decoy), and Miasma has one of the worst ability ranges in the game. At least Volt has a team speed buff and Electric Shield. She needs some massive skill reworks if Venom is going to remain unstackable.

Edited by Grilleds

While I think Contagion needs a buff, I don't think anti-knockdown is the way to go. It's not an incoming-damage-reducing skill, it's an outgoing-damage-improvement skill. Make it affect her guns as well, up the damage to make a noticeable difference, and so on. It's not an ability that you can just tack-on a random tanky aspect to, especially considering the fact that, while Saryn is durable, she is not a tank frame. Please, for the love of Steve's pink shorts, don't play her as a tank...

Why doesn't it need a buff ?

With design in mind, Contagion is meant to just improve Saryn's melee damage. Currently, it achieves its role perfectly.

why is it better to get bounced around trying to use contagion than being able to just stand there pounding things with iron skin on ?

Because player skills matter as much as a frame's abilities. That is why one does not head straight-on to a group of infested like a dummy and allow

- Runners to explode onto you, and/or

- Leapers to leap towards you.

Allowing Contagion to protect Saryn from any knock-back / down effects is illogical in many ways. If such buffs were to be implemented, wouldn't that make Rhino's Iron Skin and Ember's Overheat inferior in general?

Besides, there are certain weapons and/or mods which can help remedy the problem of not getting the first strike against the Infested. What's more, heavy weapons do tend to have momentum during their charged attacks, so that should protect you from a few hits. Let's not even talk about the range of it.

If you're referring to high-leveled Infested, you should already be modding your melee weapons properly to help clear waves of Infested easily. Saryn's Contagion acts like an additional elemental mod that adds a whooping 127.5% (Max Rank + Max Focus) poison-based damage to your melee weapon. Since it scales according to damage, the best way to utilize Contagion is to build on Heavy Charged Attacks. You can explore other options if you so desire, however.

Edited by -Clazziqual

Allowing Contagion to protect Saryn from any knock-back / down effects is illogical in many ways. If such buffs were to be implemented, wouldn't that make Rhino's Iron Skin and Ember's Overheat inferior in general?

Reread what you typed, then slap yourself in the face.

Iron Skin is 1200-1560 damage that you simply get to ignore. It also has no time limit. How could a 20-31.6 second melee damage buff make such a huge chunk of shield inferior, if they both resisted knockdown?

Edited by Grascen

Reread what you typed, then slap yourself in the face.

Iron Skin is 1200-1560 damage that you simply get to ignore. It also has no time limit. How could a 20-31.6 second melee damage buff make such a huge chunk of shield inferior, if they both resisted knockdown?

I'm actually glad you only read that part.

Now, re-'re-read' my post and kindly slap yourself for ignoring the fact that Contagion adds a crap-load of damage that isn't resisted by anything commonly known (Or heck, I don't think anything has resistance to it yet).

Honestly, if you think Rhino tanking 1200 - 1560 damage with Iron Skin is impressive, boy you haven't seen the pre-nerf version of it...

Edited by -Clazziqual

I'm actually glad you only read that part.

Now, re-'re-read' my post and kindly slap yourself for ignoring the fact that Contagion adds a crap-load of damage that isn't resisted by anything commonly known (Or heck, I don't think anything has resistance to it yet).

Melee damage is still melee damage. 

If you think it's best to run into point blank range to smack someone with your oversized sword, then go right ahead. It's fine enough on the lower levels, but don't be surprised when your Saryn explodes at higher levels, though.

Melee damage is still melee damage. 

If you think it's best to run into point blank range to smack someone with your oversized sword, then go right ahead. It's fine enough on the lower levels, but don't be surprised when your Saryn explodes at higher levels, though.

Geez, I don't remember Infested shooting any guns...

No, but their attacks all knock you down or stagger you, and they deal S#&$ loads of damage at higher levels. 60+ damage per attack from a Charger, which a chance to stagger, and Chargers are everywhere? If you can't resist knockdown, tank, or remove aggro, they're going to beat you to a pulp in the time it takes to charge your melee.

I have no opinions on the topic of the thread, however. Contagion itself doesn't really fit Saryn. What's her role supposed to be anyway? Damage? There's a (currently) weak damage ability, a decoy, a melee buff and a 4-nuke. What..?

Contagion is fine, im more worried about Venom since the nerf, the useless thing need a total rework or to stack again (also the whole idea of you lose a tick with each poped spore is $&*&*#(%&...).

Edited by Dasmir

No, but their attacks all knock you down or stagger you, and they deal S#&$ loads of damage at higher levels. 60+ damage per attack from a Charger, which a chance to stagger, and Chargers are everywhere? If you can't resist knockdown, tank, or remove aggro, they're going to beat you to a pulp in the time it takes to charge your melee.

Saryn can lose aggro with her Molt. It can be useful, however long the distraction can be.

So to combat the problem of Saryn exploding under gunfire, you're only going to fight Infested?

So tell me again how that would make a non-stagger version of Contagion better than Iron Skin.

Edited by Grascen

With design in mind, Contagion is meant to just improve Saryn's melee damage. Currently, it achieves its role perfectly.

Because player skills matter as much as a frame's abilities. That is why one does not head straight-on to a group of infested like a dummy and allow

- Runners to explode onto you, and/or

- Leapers to leap towards you.

Besides, there are certain weapons and/or mods which can help remedy the problem of not getting the first strike against the Infested. What's more, heavy weapons do tend to have momentum during their charged attacks, so that should protect you from a few hits. Let's not even talk about the range of it.

If you're referring to high-leveled Infested, you should already be modding your melee weapons properly to help clear waves of Infested easily. Saryn's Contagion acts like an additional elemental mod that adds a whooping 127.5% (Max Rank + Max Focus) poison-based damage to your melee weapon. Since it scales according to damage, the best way to utilize Contagion is to build on Heavy Charged Attacks. You can explore other options if you so desire, however.

I get the feeling this is more forum theory to you than actual experience. What you say sounds great on paper. In game my saryns contagion sucks &#! my rhinos iron skin is the best survival ability in the game. And no the pre nerf version was not better in every way. It was only better for face rolling a boss, now it actually works as a survival skill.

So to combat the problem of Saryn exploding under gunfire, you're only going to fight Infested?

Is this seriously what you picked up from my post? I expected an answer in relevant context to my post, yet all I'm seeing are really ignorant comments from you.

Fine, whatever.

So tell me again how that would make a non-stagger version of Contagion better than Iron Skin.

It doesn't. In fact, Iron Skin would be merely a skill to soak up a bit of damage before it touches your shield / health. High level Grineer / Corpus can do damage to the extend that it makes Iron Skin look puny with its 1200 - 1560 health threshold. That's the only real advantage Iron Skin has over Contagion.

Even so, melee weapon damage wouldn't deal that much of a damage to matter in the first place, along with the trouble of running close to an enemy who is shooting at you. Guns are a much more efficient way of dispatching enemies.

I get the feeling this is more forum theory to you than actual experience. What you say sounds great on paper. In game my saryns contagion sucks &#! my rhinos iron skin is the best survival ability in the game. And no the pre nerf version was not better in every way. It was only better for face rolling a boss, now it actually works as a survival skill.

Funny though, I would usually watch out for Runners and Leapers whenever I use melee against a group of Infested. Since then I've never have any real problems regardless of the frame I'm using.

To each of his own, I guess. As I've said, I won't stop anyone from having the preference of a Rhino for melee.

What irks me is the fact that Iron Skin is being used as an example for Contagion to be compared with, which is unfair since both are for different uses.

Edited by -Clazziqual

the best way to utilize Contagion is to build on Heavy Charged Attacks.

Is it? I use it with fast (+ maxed Fury) weapons, like Hate or Dual Ethers (should try it with Orthos ...). Works much better for me.

High level Grineer / Corpus can do damage to the extend that it makes Iron Skin look puny with its 1200 - 1560 health threshold.

Indeed ... Level 60-ish Grineer Napalms one-shot my Iron Skin - and that's with maxed Focus added.

Personally, I don't think that Contagion needs any immunity added. But I'd like to see it's graphical effects reworked. Like small Venom bubbles appearing on the enemies, instead of just coating them with my energy colour.