(PS4)ChaosTheNerd

Is there really a point in keeping both prime and regular frames?

Not really, 

While the upgrades on the primes are usually pretty tepid they are still upgrades so there is no reason not to use the primes over the standard once you have extracted the MR from the standard. 

Pretty sure the original skin for the base frames is just unlocked the first time you build them so even if you like the aesthetics of the standard better you can always apply it to the Prime regardless of if it is still in your active arsenal. 

Only reason I do is cause each frame has a different focus lens. Saryn prime has eidolon madurai lens, but Saryn has a naramon eidolon lens. Regret selling my equinox for the same reason since she's great for adaro runs.

Considering for fashion, one can always stick the regular skin onto the Prime variant, there's no good fashion reason to keep the regular frame.
Considering the Prime Variant is a direct upgrade in terms of stats to the regular version, there is no reason to keep the regular frame.

Basically I'm saying no. There really isn't a point to keeping a frame once you acquire their Prime variant.

2 hours ago, 3rdpig said:

I never even bothered with Trinity because it's such an annoying grind.

Trinity is easy... one shot the robots with radiation and be done. Chroma can be annoying because you need other frame parts but still don't see this as hard. Ivara is prob the worst of of these 3 but her prime isn't out just yet. The only one I see being the biggest pain is equinox since 6 parts drop from one boss.

As mentioned the skins can be put onto the prime version and the only reason to hold the non-prime is until prime is formaed enough to pick up the build. Which usually takes less forma due to extra polarities they come with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zelmen said:

Trinity is easy... one shot the robots with radiation and be done. Chroma can be annoying because you need other frame parts but still don't see this as hard. Ivara is prob the worst of of these 3 but her prime isn't out just yet. The only one I see being the biggest pain is equinox since 6 parts drop from one boss.

As mentioned the skins can be put onto the prime version and the only reason to hold the non-prime is until prime is formaed enough to pick up the build. Which usually takes less forma due to extra polarities they come with.

lol, whatever you say.

BTW, what color is the sky in your little world?

What's the point in sparing 20pt for something you put lot of times and maybe catalyst/reactor?

Only one reason for a specific frame is Oberon's grass patch is better looking than Oberon prime's weed patch. 

I could think of no other reasons.

Unless you want to be unique or sentimental.

Edited by dreadgame

Unless you need a totally different mod polarity, and keep the non-prime to differentiate easier.

You could still do this with two primes, but that's the only real functional purpose..
That, and aesthetics for Captura.
Aura formas fixed some of the situations where you needed two frames for two builds,
so there's very little occasion you ever would need both.

Frame slots are a limited resource, and there's marginally little to no need to keep them full up of standard frames.

Nope.avi

I sold Ash after getting Ash prime, and Ash was my most used frame, and probably is still top 3.I always regretted selling him but then, there is literally no incentive to keep him other than novelty.

3 hours ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

Mr 18 nerd here and I've been wondering for years, is there really a point, besides the sake of novelty towards keeping regular warframes when primes come out? 

Yes, when Natah-Lotus triggers the “Orokin Prime Virus” Protocol and all Primes go to 50% stats due to a persistent Sentient-derived nano-Virus, you will need your regular frames as backups.

You have been warned.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

I mean yeah true but it feels weird getting rid of them after a prime comes. Idk maybe it's just me

It's just you.  😄  Just joking with you.  Honestly, I have an Ivara with 8 forma, and two others with at least 4, and will have no problem what so ever swapping them all out for the Prime version when she's released. 

DE might add in a system later that requires you to use a 5 forma normal frame as a resource.

The regular addition of easily farmable primes has kind of devalued the originals. More capacity, better stats and far better model/textures. 

In some cases it's easier to get the prime variant and skip any grind or quest for the original. 

Prime bundles make them money though. So the originals have to remain intact and ugly to create a greater desire for the primes imo.

I just wish they would rethink some of the frame quests. When its easier to buy a prime than it is to do a quest line for the original, that's broken.

I originally wanted to keep the old frames around, but when the list got too bloated, I ended up selling the non-primed versions.

Now I only wish DE allowed you to hide the purchasable frames from your arsenal if you've mastered them already, so I don't need to be wary to accidentally buying an old frame during a moment of stupor as I scroll down to the bottom of the Frame selection menu.

Keeping old frames is too much hoarding for me since you're never gonna use them anyway. It's sad to see them go but it's for the best.

I'm keeping non-prime weapons now however ever since DE said they're splitting riven dispositions. 

I mean I kept my most used frames back when i played the early days, didn't touch their fashion or weapon loadouts at all.

Helps me look back at what i was early in this game

• Upvote 1

I wish there was a way to merge them together. Like the Kuva Guns, but instead with the frames, and make it so we can pick and choose what slots stay, what build stays, what mods are kept, and ect. Just a way to merge them would be amazing. 

7 hours ago, Askorti said:

Unless you're a weirdo that collects stuff only for the purpose of collecting stuff...

Guilty as charged.

• Applause 1

I've kept all of my normal frames, and sometimes I use them just to experience the power difference. It's nice, and something to look back at and appreciate. I've put a lot of forma and time into some frames, and when their prime variant comes out I just do anything in the game for 20 minutes to get the platinum for a slot and keep the old Warframe to look back at.