Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do we keep playing Warframe?

SnowWarFr

Because despite its flaws it still features a lot of fun gameplay and great visuals to enjoy the ride even more.

I wouldn't spend time on the forums criticizing and giving feedback or even complaining if I thought the game was beyond help and wasn't worth my time.

I also play the game on and off. If a massive content drought happens I usually play other games. If I have reached a state where I get really bored playing I also take a break. I simply come back when I feel like it instead of being all pompous crying and tearing my ears off proclaiming the game has betrayed me, destroyed my life and that I shall never return.

The game has a lot of content. I simply feel it has stopped evolving its core gameplay loop into a proper endgame state where power, difficulty and rewards match. Which is why I'm sititng here arguing for such content to happen.  I don't tihnk its a terrible game just because it hasn't happened yet or because a few content patch didn't dleiver quite as well as tehy should.

Ironically Melee Phase 2 has me busy way more than the lIches since I can no genuinely use a lot of melee weapons and optimize them without immediately feeling that they suck because of stats, stance usability or jsut pitiful range.

Edited by Raikh

20 minutes ago, (PS4)RazorPhoenix970 said:

Because this is the only game I've ever played where 100 hours of playtime is miniscule, I'm currently approaching 2000 hours and I'm not ashamed.

Im getting close to 2500 in mission time. Still enjoying the game more then some games that I played less then 10 hours.

-The game is still under development, which matters Tremendously to me.
I don't still play other games from 10 years ago, because they don't update.
..the devs are barely present on so many other games to rebalance and hotfix.
Most of the other games that I Don't play, are because these concerns can never be addressed.
When's the last time I got an update for Farcry2?
How about Ryse: Son of Rome?
What's the latest on Sanctuary?
Perfect Dark? Darkest Dungeon is done, they're working on 2..
You pay full price, the title is dead in the water, it will run it's course.
Smash Melee isn't online, and I don't have a switch for Ultimate..
Every single game has bugs, exploits, problems, etc.
Most devs will never get to them.
DE doesn't get to every one of them either, but they Can and in many cases, do.

-I run into a higher than average amount of chill, good, cooperative players here,
many with their very own style and expression which I love.
-The business model for Warframe is by far among the best possible in it's class.
-DE has personally responded with updates for bug reports that I posted.
-I've had positive experiences with customer service.
-I can hoverboard and put bullets in Grineer.

These may be some lofty and fortunate positions to have, but they've been my experience.
I understand not everyone has the same experience. This has been mine.

I've thought about this quite a bit over the years, and I think I have it narrowed down for me.

1. The gameplay loop. Combat is fast, fun, varied and despite what you might thing from the e-peeners on this forum, there's no true meta. Kill things the way you want to kill them, as many times as you want, or as few as you want. Your game, your call.

2. Despite what people keep saying about destiny 2, I go back and install the game maybe once every 6 months, the combat loop completely sucks. I honestly think the people saying destiny's combat is fun are using controllers. There's just no way anyone with a mouse, keyboard and a fully functional set of hands/eyes can enjoy that. As much as people malign the underwater archwing parts of Warframe, the entire game of destiny feels like it's an underwater archwing mission. Minus the verticality. That's not a dig, but destiny 2 is supposed to be Warframes main competitor and it just.... isn't. The reason this is a point, is that Warframe basically stands alone in that context.

3. Games suck nowadays. I know that sounds like an old man "get off my lawn" kind of answer, but for the love of God, this chinafication of gaming is just.... sad. To anyone that doesn't know what that is, lets say you make an amazing game here in the U.S. and 1 out of 10 people buy a copy. That's 30 million copies sold! If you make a mediocre game that meets chinese governmental standards, i.e. nothing racy, not too violent, etc. and you only sell it to 1 in 30 people.... well, you still made a funk ton more money than the amazing game only released in the U.S. It's sad, and it's the reason everything is starting to feel the "same" in gaming and movies right now. From a corporate standpoint, it's far safer to make a homogenized "samey" game for that chinese market than it is to spend the same resources shooting for the stars in the American market. Sucks, but it's true.

4. FPS with a legitimate sense of accomplishment. What I mean by that is that if you believe in DE, you believe that Warframe has a future. Your accomplishments won't just be wiped with Warframe 2.0 every year, like a CoD style "progression". I feel like my time is respected, because they're keeping the universe I am investing my time and money into alive and not just dumping a sequel to. I just like running around and shooting things. I like running around and shooting things even MORE when I know it has a net cumulative effect and results in my having something to show for it that won't just be eradicated when it's time to increase quarterly earnings for the shareholders. It's all just a hampster wheel, but the annualized releases of some games just make the wheel feel small and pointless. DE keeps this flagship product rolling and the wheel gets bigger and bigger.

5. Warframe doesn't DEMAND my time. I'm not forced to log in everyday for "bonuses" etc. They offer some bonuses (2 gallium today! holy smokes!) but nothing that is required, or detrimental. Because they trust us enough to go play other titles and to come back, I similarly trust them to be a good steward of my time and money. Put another way, if you're in a relationship with a person and you don't want to let them out of their sight or worry yourself sick that they might cheat on you at a party you're not at, then bro. You're not in the right relationship. Warframe is a relationship as much as it is a game, and despite some DE's screw ups, such as the cronyism and uber leftist elitism that was on display with the guides of the lotus program (No, we haven't forgotten DE) they are confident enough to let us take some trips away to other games, and to not be sitting up late at night worrying themselves sick that we might just NEVER COME BACK from our couple of week tryst we had with Overwatch.

Because I still enjoy it? Sure, there are times when I only log in for rewards and maybe sortie, sometimes not even that. But that's cool, I don't really commit into a single game super-hard for long periods of time anyway (which is the reason I generally don't enjoy MMOs, usually they require to player to do just that if they want to get anywhere)

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, Mr.Fluffins said:

I will just copy what I had to say in a similar thread:

The core gameplay and the visual design. If killing tons of enemies in this game wasn't fun, and the game wouldn't appeal visually to me,  I wouldn't play it no matter how many open worlds, space combats or cinematic quests Warframe had. This game has speed, drive, and a MULTITUDE of ways you can decimate your foes. The variety of viable weapons in this game is just staggering, other looter shooters can only dream of that, not to mention different warframe abilities. It also has a distinct look and feel, in terms of enemies, weapons, lore, locations, etc., it really helps the game in my eyes.

Aside form that, the fact that this game develops and grows constantly, a "real" life service game. I took numerous long breaks from the game (not because I disliked it, but because I had enough of it for a time and decided to do something else), and everytime I came back, the game just had more cool weapons, more gamemodes, improved visuals... And so I would gladly sink more hours into the game, drop some cash to get some shiny new items and show my support for the developers, and have great fun. Damn I still remember when you used to slot abilities as mods, can't believe it went this far since then...

I really hope this game keeps growing and developing in its own way, Warframe truly is something special on the market.

This. 100% this

7 hours ago, Midas said:

Because as i've aged I have the horrible tendency to view all games in their bare bone state. Essentially If it is a mmo, a FPS, or even a battle royale, I feel as if I am just playing a reskined game that I have done before. Waiting for someone to get creative and invent something that is actually interesting I guess. So I just play WF rn.

Pal, it's exactly how I feel. Also when playing other games, after I leave them pending for work or other, I tend to abandon them cause I don't remember all the mechanics and gimmicks... what was going on? what happened before? how i do this? Is this stuff in my inventory worth keeping? Which direction was I following with the development of the character and so on...

Many times it's just better to restart but I'm too lazy to spend time doing something I already did in the past just to catch up and maybe leaving soon after.

Warframe is an oasis for this point, I can catch up with all the news in just 1 reading of the updates.The wiki is extremely precise and informative and best of all whatever choice I take, I can never do an error which compromise my progress or cut out other options or fun.

So as far as it concern me : The game is easy, you don't need to put your mind into it or big reasoning, you can leave it behind and catch up later with no difficulties, has a decent variety of play styles, make you feel satisfacted and powerfull.

Yeah sure, sometime it becomes boring and repetitive but those are ringing bells that you need to take a break and come back later, that's how you play this game.

• Like 1