Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Know Your Derpy Ai

RustyNaps

Question

Hello, this is a guide for people who have problems dying a lot (I really wouldn't know why). This guide will teach you all about the derps of the current AI and how you can use this to your advantage.

RANGED ENEMIES ONLY AIM FOR TORSO

Enemies with guns never really aim for your head but your chest, If you're taking heavy fire and don't wanna risk the enemy sneaking behind you while you're crouching find a object neck high to stand behind. You can aim your gun and your bullets will still make contact with the enemy! Now you are only taking their spread and not their full fire! (Note this doesn't apply to Grineer Napalm, Bombards and all Infested Units)

WHITE ANCIENTS CAN'T JUMP

(Sorry for the terrible joke, note this applies to all ancients) Boxes you have to wall run to get up will be a safe haven from any Ancient as they will totally lose sight of you and give up the chase! (Until you hit them of course, then they'll try slapping you) This may also work against the smaller guys as well (Can't guarantee it because of the recent new AI paths, it sometimes works).

WAS NEVER EVEN THERE

Infested units (except Chargers, Lightning Crawler, Noxious Crawler and Nauseous Crawler Swipes.) usually have an attack that requires a charge that usually gives you time to dodge. Have a Disruptor closing in on you? No problem! Infested Units with charge attacks actually will attack directly where you have last been. To stop that disruptor from slapping you do a (hold)SHIFT+CTRL(release SHIFT)+SPACE this will perform the fast summersault frontflip of awesome jump. Due to you pressing ctrl that registers as the last place you've been before the jump. The ancient will hit there and have tapped nothing leaving you free to pump lead. 

STAIRS ARE YOUR FRIEND

The Derpy enemies have issues with stairs. Usually on Asteroid Bases if your taking heavy fire or getting beat up by infested it helps to hide under a cramped stairwell. Most the time they AI will just walk up and down the stairs trying to shoot you or get to you. With the gaps between the stairs and a accurate weapon you can take some free shots while your shields recharge. (Note Grineer Napalms and Bombards will still be able to hurt you.)

KITE YOUR WAY TO VICTORY

Since Infested Ai is just charging at the player you can use them as Kites! Try to attract as much attention as possible and lead that army of infested into someplace they can never get out of (I would use a frame that can stun lock or turn invisible[ INSERT LOKI HERE ]), from there you can go chill and shoot them up with your Ogris or what have you. (Note this is only for Infested Units)

JUST FOR RAPTOR

I'm tired of watching people mindlessly run outside and get blasted by the thing IN THREE FREAKIN SECONDS THEN PROCEED TO ASK ME TO SAVE THEIR SORRY BUTTS WHEN I'M EXCAL OR NECKROS :| 

Seriously, the key to this boss is to hide behind crates or hide inside THE BUILDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MAP and take a lot of POT SHOTS. I don't care if you're rhino, I don't care if you're Molecular Prime the living s*** outta everything Nova. The Raptor is still going to kill you in 3 bolts or less so get your fat candy a** inside k? 

This is my Derpy AI guide for now, I'll improve it later, there's still much more I have to write.

10 answers to this question

If I may, I would like to add to this.

Often you can slide on your knees beneath an ancient's pull. leaving you plenty of time to shoot their back.

Bosses won't spawn until your crosshair looks at the marker where they spawn (unless they don't have an intro). By intentionally looking away, you can position yourself or charge up a shot before spawning the boss.

Abilities such as Nova's Null Star or Nekros' Soul Punch can counter knockdowns. These can be used effectively if you're about to get hit by an ancient or stomped by a heavy gunner/boss. They can also be timed to recover from a long fall distance faster.

*how to exploit current mechanics and AI.*

No, this is completely different :P

If I may, I would like to add to this.

Often you can slide on your knees beneath an ancient's pull. leaving you plenty of time to shoot their back.

Bosses won't spawn until your crosshair looks at the marker where they spawn (unless they don't have an intro). By intentionally looking away, you can position yourself or charge up a shot before spawning the boss.

Abilities such as Nova's Null Star or Nekros' Soul Punch can counter knockdowns. These can be used effectively if you're about to get hit by an ancient or stomped by a heavy gunner/boss. They can also be timed to recover from a long fall distance faster.

I'll add these tomorrow

Might want to add in on the ranged enemies part the difference between a "Hit-Scan" weapon and a "Projectile" weapon :)

Confirming: The tall boxes (Currently) will cause melee (not just Infested) units that were intrested in you or fully locked on and trying to eat your shields/suicide bomb you will freeze when you climb a decent box. A box with a wide view would allow you to pick them off one by one safely it needs to be a taller box or object though. If you are only single/double your elevation Ancients and others can still reach. Oh, and it has to be an area they would normally not be able to walk at all. With the new pathing, units can jump off buildings and over canyons. I had a Shockwave Moa jump over a large gap that players would need to wall run for and roflstomped me over the edge afterwards XD.

As far as the Raptor is concerned I don't think it's as much a matter of "I think I can take it" but more "I don't know what I'm getting into with this boss--- oh crap help me!" New or inexperienced players don't always know how bosses function I know I was that way for some things. First time I went to visit the raptor I died 10 seconds in after he was activated. I didn't know the fight but also a couple people rushed ahead making it suicide for the others just running in. Also due to my graphics being high there was a lot of glare and smoke in the air making it impossible to see a big flying robot shooting at me XD

A decent start to helpfull tips for new players. The Raptor part would be better suited for a boss strategy guide or a seperate section dealing with specific npc (boss or otherwise) tactics.

~Cheers

Might want to add in on the ranged enemies part the difference between a "Hit-Scan" weapon and a "Projectile" weapon :)

Confirming: The tall boxes (Currently) will cause melee (not just Infested) units that were intrested in you or fully locked on and trying to eat your shields/suicide bomb you will freeze when you climb a decent box. A box with a wide view would allow you to pick them off one by one safely it needs to be a taller box or object though. If you are only single/double your elevation Ancients and others can still reach. Oh, and it has to be an area they would normally not be able to walk at all. With the new pathing, units can jump off buildings and over canyons. I had a Shockwave Moa jump over a large gap that players would need to wall run for and roflstomped me over the edge afterwards XD.

As far as the Raptor is concerned I don't think it's as much a matter of "I think I can take it" but more "I don't know what I'm getting into with this boss--- oh crap help me!" New or inexperienced players don't always know how bosses function I know I was that way for some things. First time I went to visit the raptor I died 10 seconds in after he was activated. I didn't know the fight but also a couple people rushed ahead making it suicide for the others just running in. Also due to my graphics being high there was a lot of glare and smoke in the air making it impossible to see a big flying robot shooting at me XD

A decent start to helpfull tips for new players. The Raptor part would be better suited for a boss strategy guide or a seperate section dealing with specific npc (boss or otherwise) tactics.

~Cheers

Thank you, I'll make sure to rewrite the box one, I was really sleepy.

And the Raptor part was mainly rage and for s**** and giggles.

-snip-

RANGED ENEMIES ONLY AIM FOR TORSO

Enemies with guns never really aim for your head but your chest, If you're taking heavy fire and don't wanna risk the enemy sneaking behind you while you're crouching find a object neck high to stand behind. You can aim your gun and your bullets will still make contact with the enemy! Now you are only taking their spread and not their full fire! (Note this doesn't apply to Grineer Napalm, Bombards and all Infested Units)

WHITE ANCIENTS CAN'T JUMP

(Sorry for the terrible joke, note this applies to all ancients) Boxes you have to wall run to get up will be a safe haven from any Ancient as they will totally lose sight of you and give up the chase! (Until you hit them of course, then they'll try slapping you) This may also work against the smaller guys as well (Can't guarantee it because of the recent new AI paths, it sometimes works).

-snip-

STAIRS ARE YOUR FRIEND

The Derpy enemies have issues with stairs. Usually on Asteroid Bases if your taking heavy fire or getting beat up by infested it helps to hide under a cramped stairwell. Most the time they AI will just walk up and down the stairs trying to shoot you or get to you. With the gaps between the stairs and a accurate weapon you can take some free shots while your shields recharge. (Note Grineer Napalms and Bombards will still be able to hurt you.)

KITE YOUR WAY TO VICTORY

Since Infested Ai is just charging at the player you can use them as Kites! Try to attract as much attention as possible and lead that army of infested into someplace they can never get out of (I would use a frame that can stun lock or turn invisible[ INSERT LOKI HERE ]), from there you can go chill and shoot them up with your Ogris or what have you. (Note this is only for Infested Units)

JUST FOR RAPTOR

I'm tired of watching people mindlessly run outside and get blasted by the thing IN THREE FREAKIN SECONDS THEN PROCEED TO ASK ME TO SAVE THEIR SORRY BUTTS WHEN I'M EXCAL OR NECKROS :| 

Seriously, the key to this boss is to hide behind crates or hide inside THE BUILDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MAP and take a lot of POT SHOTS. I don't care if you're rhino, I don't care if you're Molecular Prime the living s*** outta everything Nova. The Raptor is still going to kill you in 3 bolts or less so get your fat candy a** inside k? 

-snip-

tumblr_mrwhexbjmA1sseqooo1_400.gif

JUST FOR RAPTOR

This is my Derpy AI guide for now, I'll improve it later, there's still much more I have to write.

Derpy AI of players? =D