Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing question for pc players

(PSN)Saint_RNG

Is anyone able to tell  a console player in detail what they changed about the archwing handling?

From my perspective there are 2 different handlings currently on console for archwings, the one in an actual archwing mission which i find terrible (oversensitive and floaty) but servicable and the one in the open worlds which i think feels perfect.

I assumed when they said they updated the archwing controls they would just make the archwing missions feel more like the open worlds control but from what im reading people are not happy with the changes with the open world archwings either.

Are they now controlling the same in each mission type but both are bad or are they still different to one another but now equally as bad?

The new system is quite similar to the Experimental Flight model, but without the 6DOF and with even less inertia. Overall, it's better on the open worlds, better than the default controls in space, and better underwater, but it's not as good as Experimental was in space.

• Like 2

They removed all momentum, when you press a key to move you (almost) instantly reach top speed, and when you release movement keys you stop instantly. Holding forward and sprint uses the superboost (and you can now move up and down while boosting using the same controls that you use when you aren't boosting), holding sprint but not forward does normal boost.

Every Archwing has Blink now, you get a single charge that automatically recharges in a few seconds, no energy costs involved. To use it you tap the sprint key, which of course means you have to momentarily stop boosting to use it (with default keybindings).

Overall the bindings are probably the weirdest thing; blink is very awkward without setting up an secondary sprint button, and if you like to use normal boosting then having to release the forward key might feel a bit weird. This stuff really shows that Archwing needs its own keybinding section separate to ground controls.

The momentum change seems to have received very mixed opinions; some people like the increased precision and control the changes offer, while other people (me included) feel like it reduced the feeling of controlling a fast-moving jetpack thing. Personally I think there should be SOME momentum, but maybe have a "brake" function added to prevent the old issue of being unable to quickly stop after boosting.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Iamabearlulz said:

The new system is quite similar to the Experimental Flight model, but without the 6DOF and with even less inertia. Overall, it's better on the open worlds, better than the default controls in space, and better underwater, but it's not as good as Experimental was in space.

Tbh ive only just realised there was an experimental flight setting so ill have to try that out when i get home and compare to default space settings because i hate default space flight.

Does this now mean archwing movement is now the same between space and open world?

39 minutes ago, YUNoJump said:

They removed all momentum, when you press a key to move you (almost) instantly reach top speed, and when you release movement keys you stop instantly. 

Overall the bindings are probably the weirdest thing; blink is very awkward without setting up an secondary sprint button, and if you like to use normal boosting then having to release the forward key might feel a bit weird. This stuff really shows that Archwing needs its own keybinding section separate to ground controls.

So does this now mean you can no longer boost to gain speed and go into hover mode to glide off momentum? I would do that alot looking for vomvalysts and it sounds like itll be a bit of a pain to stop start all the time if i can basically only go full speed or stop completely.

The control scheme has me worried though, if boost and blink is now sprint then having to hold in L3 to boost is going to suck, even if it ends up a toggle it will suck. On console boost is tied to L1 which is roll/slide in ground combat, has it always been sprint on pc or did they move it there?

Gonna have to wait for it to hit console so I can judge it. Us having limited button schemes mean DE have to compensate for it by putting multiple functions onto one button which I hate even more. Just as long as we get to remap or at least relocate each function. I mean we already have slide/roll/crouch on just one single button.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Saint_RNG said:

So does this now mean you can no longer boost to gain speed and go into hover mode to glide off momentum? I would do that alot looking for vomvalysts and it sounds like itll be a bit of a pain to stop start all the time if i can basically only go full speed or stop completely.

The control scheme has me worried though, if boost and blink is now sprint then having to hold in L3 to boost is going to suck, even if it ends up a toggle it will suck. On console boost is tied to L1 which is roll/slide in ground combat, has it always been sprint on pc or did they move it there?

Yes, you can't do that anymore because the momentum is cancelled. That strategy was something I used a lot as well.

On the old PC version, the "slow" boost was done by just holding the sprint key and forward, and then you held the jump key as well (spacebar) to activate the "fast" boost. Now the jump key is used for increasing altitude (with crouch to decrease altitude, with the new update we're now able to use those controls while in a boost). On PC rolling/dodging is normally done by tapping sprint (which is the same in Archwing), and sliding is done by holding the crouch key while moving.

It seems that the viability of the new Archwing system for console will be heavily dependent on the keybinding, if the keybindings don't get special attention then it won't do very well. Hopefully DE is considering all of the current PC discussion and devising some changes which will work for consoles as well though.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Saint_RNG said:

Is anyone able to tell  a console player in detail what they changed about the archwing handling?

Step 1: here are you new controls:

Left stick forward = float forward (walking)

Hold the sprint button without touching the stick = sprint

Hold the sprint button AND press stick forward = afterburner sprint

Tap the sprint button = Blink

This can take some getting used to

Step 2: You no longer have momentum after letting go of the movement controls. Apparently the devs just couldn't fix the utterly broken and borked instant momentum redirection so they sidestepped the issue altogether:

Old system: if you were coasting one direction, and you aimed down sights in another direction, you would INSTANTLY start coasting in the direction of your gun; this made staying in the air while shooting downward nearly impossible. On the flipside, if you were moving in any direction it was really hard to just stop moving period, because you could redirect your momentum instantly but not halt your momentum altogether

New system: as soon as you let go of your movement controls you stop dead

A lot of people seem to have missed out some of the finer details specifically on the new controls.

General controls

• Directional movements are always relative to your camera.
  • Camera is now always vertically locked and turns relative to the world. If you were on Experimental Controls before, in Space and some instances on Skywing,
    • You can no longer pitch your camera up or down beyond 90 degrees. You will have to turn horizontally now to do a vertical loop.
    • Horizontal turning is no longer consistent when looking up or down. (e.g. A target to the right when facing completely downwards cannot be reached from turning right only)
  • All forms of rolling is completely removed. You are always right side up.

Boosting changes

• The sprint button puts you in a permanent movement towards the crosshair. 
  • Left/Right/Jump/Crouch angles your movement slightly in their respective directions relative to your camera.
  • Forward and Back is actually a throttle control. Starting a sprint always puts you at roughly 50% throttle. Throttle controls moves from slowest to fastest in roughly a second.
    • Holding Forward raises your throttle and at about 90%, you will be in Afterburner, which is just a visual effect.
    • Holding Back slows you down. At the lowest throttle, you travel at about the same pace as holding down W while not boosting.

Dodging changes

• All dodge movements only provide a minimal increase in speed (less than half your normal movement speed) and does not lock your movement in that direction.
    • You can dodge in one direction and immediately move in other directions to completely cancel out the movement.
    • Repeatedly dodging is just barely faster than moving normally.
    • Dodging backwards while boosting basically does nothing because of this.
  • Quick turn in space has been completely removed and replaced with slow down backflip. (Originally performed by dodging backwards or tapping Back while on Afterburners)
  • Forward/Neutral dodge is replaced with Blink. The old front dodge will be performed instead when Blink is on cooldown.

Generally, the changes are all kind of just a mess without really knowing what it wants it wants to be, mostly resembling a noclip movement scheme than anything else. The always up, vertical lock and the removal of roll resembles more of a hover gunship or VTOL control but the movement relative to the camera sits closer to a dogfighter control. They don't feel quite right on either scenarios. Shooting at targets on the ground doesn't feel like a gunship as you're constantly fiddling with Foward/Up/Back/Down to adjust your altitude. Shooting in space doesn't feel right either as it limits vertical freedom and you have to somewhat engage enemies on the same horizontal level.

54 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Apparently the devs just couldn't fix the utterly broken and borked instant momentum redirection so they sidestepped the issue altogether:

It's strange because this was never the case in space or underwater so they technically are able to solve it. Your momentum was always kept in the direction you were moving relative to the world that in order to cut sharp turns, you would often need to turn into the curve.. They just never did with Skywing.

Edited by RX-3DR
  • Like 1