Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack dimensions make no sense

Or4ngeClaw

So i was very excited when i saw that the new railjacks were finally buildable ingame, when the update launched i started getting the resources and build the railjack and was very happy with the results, the design of the outside and inside are amazing and look incredible. However i have one very big issue with the railjacks that i havent seen anybody talk about, and that is the dimensions of the inside of the ship and the way it look outside. 

A good example for this is how when you look out from the side turrets inside the ship they seem to be located above the nacelle however if you check above the nacelle from the outside of the ship there is not nearly enough room for the turrets to be there or any room because the tube atop the ship kinda leave no room for anything to be inside it. 

now i dont know if this is because the ship in the dry dock is a scaled down model of the actual ship or just because the devs didnt think anybody would pay attention to it.

i would really like some help understanding this problem because it annoys me very much,

6AdSG0V.png2Sf5wSk.png

Edited by Or4ngeClaw
added the screenshots
  • Like 5

Haha this reminds me of something I have noticed on Gara....

If I have a 7m splinter storm going on Gara at the end of a mission, then as my ships behind to fly away it has the glass shards from splinter storm swirling all around the entire ship lol.  

This is a fantasy game man.  

Bikini/stripper armor is just as effective as full plate armor because dragons do not really exist!!!!!

• Like 8

I believe there's this old tidbit from way back in devstream 27 that suggests that void-tech enables certain Tenno constructions to be larger on the inside than on the outside.

(also, for linking, I'd recommend an Imgur account, you should be able to link directly using that.)

• Like 6

Steve has already mentioned that when you are 'inside your ship' you are actually on a different map, with the external views simply textures that are rendering a camera from the 'space' map. This is not star citizen, where character models are contained inside the ship models. When you are in space, you won't be able to see into your railjack either (at lest not on initial release)

• Like 3

Только что, Diavoros сказал:

Its basically...SCALE RATIO.
There are several games that don't do 1:1 because it's simply a waste of resources to do it, so sometimes certain things look smaller on the outside compared to how it is inside, and the other way around.

It is not only about "bigger inside". Exterior and interior are different models.

For example - tail of ship. Outside you can see long tail with tube of hyper-engine at the end. What you can see inside: https://imgur.com/a/JeUJILd

Yeah, the exterior / interior mismatches are pretty severe in places, which is a shame. But then I'm sure you've also been on missions where you look through a window to see a waypoint out in space that clearly should be inside some sort of structure. It's mildly jarring, and DE could fix the consistency, but they're focusing on other things, and I'm OK with that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I believe there's this old tidbit from way back in devstream 27 that suggests that void-tech enables certain Tenno constructions to be larger on the inside than on the outside.

(also, for linking, I'd recommend an Imgur account, you should be able to link directly using that.)

I've seen that somewhere too, but don't know where

26 minutes ago, Ady88 said:

When you are in space, you won't be able to see into your railjack either (at lest not on initial release)

tbf, that was last year - the same technique that's used to display the outside from inside should be possible to be used for the reverse, 
just with the "display" moving w/ the ship.

2 minutes ago, DarkSkysz said:

The orbiter suffers the same problem and yea, nothing will change.

While finishing a mission our frame is almost half the size of the orbiter but inside you can walk freely.

your confusing the orbiter with the landing craft, the names are a bit weird ingame but he liset you seen when entering and leaving missions is call the landing craft but the ship were our foundry and arsenal are in is called the landing craft

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sannleikur said:

Just wait until Steve discovers non euclidean world engines. It's going to totally fck everyone's minds.

*snip*

Imagine the Duviri Paradox with this.

That is mega cool, but not really such a new idea. Antichamber is a game entirely built around this kind of screwy space, and Duke Nukem 3D could do non-euclidean rooms (or entire maps) back in 1996, such as this circular room that's actually 720 degrees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PheGnJp2qio

Edited by SordidDreams

Oh wow I'm not the only one that noticed this. I was so happy to be able to get inside, but when I started comparing things it felt a little.... off. I have to suspend my disbelief cause the technology of the Warframe universe is so advanced it looks like magic. ((And probably is when we get into the void.))

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

2 hours ago, Diavoros said:

Its basically...SCALE RATIO.
There are several games that don't do 1:1 because it's simply a waste of resources to do it, so sometimes certain things look smaller on the outside compared to how it is inside, and the other way around.

While I have no doubt that the devs are cheating with the ship's exact proportions, don't make the mistake of thinking Railjacks are small. These aren't fighters, they're battlecruisers

2 hours ago, denis-ldv said:

It is not only about "bigger inside". Exterior and interior are different models.

For example - tail of ship. Outside you can see long tail with tube of hyper-engine at the end. What you can see inside: https://imgur.com/a/JeUJILd

Well that's doomed to happen one way or the other since DE plan to give us multiple railjack exterior models, and most certainly aren't doing custom interiors for each. Guess DE got a head start on the mismatching layout. 

It's just a design limitation we have to deal with, unless it's that much of a deal breaker that we'd rather they sink a lot of resources on custom interiors over more explicit gameplay impacting content. 

Edited by Cubewano

4 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

While I have no doubt that the devs are cheating with the ship's exact proportions, don't make the mistake of thinking Railjacks are small. These aren't fighters, they're battlecruisers

Believe me I am under no illusions. I was gushing about its size long before now.

Another note of comparison - the Space Shuttle, including the big outer fuel tanks, is about 50 metres long, and about 8.7 metres in diameter. The Nacelles are about 65-ish metres long, and 30 metres wide and high. Without the wings. Each Nacelle is much larger than the Space Shuttle!

Not to mention, the main engine/accelerator is about 10 metres wide...