Kontrollo

The New Ember Is a Meme

I've never particularly been into Ember, but I finally decided to give her a go after the rework.

A quick build and a few missions with minor adjustments later, and I think she's still braindead easy to play. Here's why:

• All of her abilities/ feed into each other and are granting bonuses all over the place.
    • Also, neat augments.
    • Also also, buffed Heat procs.
  • The only thing I have to be aware of is that gauge on the lower right and the state of my Energy bar.
  • The gauge is pretty easy to manage when using her 4 and 3 right after each other.
    • So all I really want are casting speed and efficiency
  • Wait, Energy? Well there's the hunter mod and Rage, right?
    • Conveniently, her Healing Flame augment tops her right off again. But that's just the low-hanging fruit, anyway. It's not really required.
  • Enemies have armour? Well, use Heat procs and press 3 repeatedly. Sounds good. 

So in a nutshell, I'm just running around with Ignis Wraith rolling my face on the keyboard, while glancing at two bars on the lower right from time to time.

I haven't tried an endurance run yet, and I guess she's still squishy. But she's almost as low effort as ever, imho.

Opinions?

Edit:

Forgot to mention. The one real downside she has is the visual spam, especially Inferno's fire rings. Nothing that couldn't be solved by using dark blue energy, though. That was about the most brainpower I invested into this (jk). 😄

Edited by Kontrollo
  • Haha 4
  • Woah 1
  • Upvote 3

i have no issues with my ember doing level 5 lich missions and level 3 sorties...though my build is more on the tanky side with adaptation+healing flame with 175% efficiency 

Opinions?
Until DE reworks how enemies scale & give enemies better AI, 
any "reworks" they do are essentially for nothing as it's either "can you empty the room with little effort or not" or "can you support the guy emptying the room"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Satisfied 1
  • Applause 9
  • Upvote 2

I can't speak too much for exactly how powerful/braindead she is now, but i will say this: For me she is a to least fun to play now. I actually want to play her from time to time. On that note, I feel like she is considerably less brain dead then she used to be. I'm sure you can still play her that way to a degree, but at the very least it requires more effort then pressing 4 and speeding through the map.

I feel like its definitely a step in the right direction

• Satisfied 1

the main thing holding her back is her energy consumption,meaning you will prob get screwed over with magnetic procs and energy leech eximus....learned it the hard way when i tried her to solo an infested defense arbitration,i did not die,but no energy means i cant kill enemies fast enough and the defense target eventually went down...

• Like 1

Ember turned into one of the "Spam 4 to Win" frames we had ages ago.

I maxed casting speed and all I do with her is mash the win key, the entire map lights up and I hardly see anything.

10/10

• Haha 2
  • Satisfied 1

Yet the management of her meter seems to be plenty given how much people did/are complaining about the energy drain mechanic.

Though the ability to walk through missions occasionally casting abilities without a care in the world is a trait shared by multiple frames at this point and Ember arguably still takes a bit more attention than others. And she's still less braindead than her old kit was, the only concerns of what to cast and when was recasting WoF if you needed to conserve energy or needed the range and casting Accelerant if you so much as saw enemies near you.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Kontrollo said:

So in a nutshell, I'm just running around with Ignis Wraith rolling my face on the keyboard, while glancing at two bars on the lower right from time to time.

Isn't...that what people were doing before the changes?

As far as I ever saw in terms of other people playing Ember most of old Ember's playstyle was "Hit 2, Turn on 4, buff self/allies with 1 augment (optional), Roll face on keyboard".

Overall I don't think things have changed that much, other than Ember getting more durable with her new 2.

Edited by Aldain
  • Upvote 1

Screenshot_20191203_001400_com.digitalex

My current build, mainly tank focused, so I put just enough power strength for max DR on her 2...adaptation and healing flame for further increased in survibiliy. 

Also did some work on the support side of things...with decent range for better armor stripping coverage and fireball frenzy for damage buff.

Maybe is also the reason why I failed at wave 24 arbit infested defense...i brought a support tank build and play solo. 

• Satisfied 1

21 minutes ago, DarthIronclad said:

i have no issues with my ember doing level 5 lich missions and level 3 sorties...though my build is more on the tanky side with adaptation+healing flame with 175% efficiency 

Ah I don't bother with Adaptation right now. Maybe I'll try replacing her 3 augment with it at some point. Her abilities and Heat procs already give plenty of CC, imho. And when in doubt, there's Magus Lockdown, too.

15 minutes ago, DarthIronclad said:

the main thing holding her back is her energy consumption,meaning you will prob get screwed over with magnetic procs and energy leech eximus....learned it the hard way when i tried her to solo an infested defense arbitration,i did not die,but no energy means i cant kill enemies fast enough and the defense target eventually went down...

That's easy to handle actually. Use an emergency energy pizza (put it on a hotkey). Maybe CC nearby enemies with Magus Lockdown. Her 4 doesn't prevent pizzas from working anymore, in fact, nothing does.

Crisis averted.

11 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Isn't...that what people were doing before the changes?

I wouldn't know. Hadn't really bothered with her in a while.

• Like 1

This is how I modded my ember, energy isnt a problem. also using hunter adrenaline and rage on ember is useless since most of the time enemies are either ragdolled or stunned due to the heat

CepyFKM.png

Other frames can do what she does but without having to manage a weird gauge in the corner of your screen. She's certainly not bad but she's kind of annoying to use.

Personally I would just remove the gauge completely and give her some flat % values considering you will almost never have that 90% damage reduction up for more than a few seconds.

At high levels as soon as she hits her 3 she's probably going to be gibbed by too much incoming damage. At the levels that her armor strip is actually needed to reliably damage enemies she's already going to be dead from the scaling damage.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

In lower missions I still run around spamming her augmented 4. In higher missions I still won't play her. Mesa, as is often the case, is a straight upgrade over this version of Ember.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@DarthIronclad Of course when you go farther into Arbitrations, then stacking defences is more of a priority.

2 minutes ago, 8faiNt said:

This is how I modded my ember, energy isnt a problem. also using hunter adrenaline and rage on ember is useless since most of the time enemies are either ragdolled or stunned due to the heat

CepyFKM.png

Looks decent. But I feel like I'm doing fine with Hunter Adrenaline and 60% efficiency. To each their own, I guess. I'm not claiming I've made the best build, ever, anyway. 😊

In other news, just did an hour long Disruption Arbitration vs. Grineer on her with a build I put together just today. 😄

For lower-mid level missions (enemies lvl <70) you just press 4 repeatedly, and if against grineer, 3 from time to time, and you win. Everything just dies. Against slightly stronger enemies, you turn on 2, then press 4 repeatedly to nuke everything, and 3 a bit more frequently to cool off. And then just alternate pressing 4 and 3 until everything is dead.

Sure, they got rid of the ability to just go afk with her, but the gameplay is still pretty braindead.

• Satisfied 1

Ember is still outperformed by Saryn simply because Ember needs to see her targets.

Just "Saryn" is a bit too specific but I'm too lazy to remind myself all available nuke builds. You get the point

Edited by VentiGlondi

3 hours ago, 8faiNt said:

energy isnt a problem

And that's the problem with nukers these days.

Players have absolutely no problem being able to stab the old 4 key repeatedly to get those big kill counts and make everyone else's game experience boring due to ridiculous energy efficiency.

On defense maps when there's an Ember, all I ever see is Inferno spam nowadays. GG DE. You made Ember "relevent" again alright...to meta-players that want to clear rooms at everyone else's expense. Weren't you trying to get AWAY from spammy, ez-mode gameplay...or was that just lip service?

2 hours ago, VentiGlondi said:

Just "Saryn" is a bit too specific but I'm too lazy to remind myself all available nuke builds

Equinox, Mag, and Volt have no LoS restrictions and massive range and say hi.

Mesa is one of the top nukers for Defense mission, despite requiring LoS. Why? Because you can sit on the objective and enemies will ultimately come into LoS, allowing you to delete with ease.

Edited by MirageKnight
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

And that's the problem with nukers these days.

Players have absolutely no problem being able to stab the old 4 key repeatedly to get those big kill counts and make everyone else's game experience boring due to ridiculous energy efficiency.

I have 175 eff at the cost of duration and a r3 energize I dont know why its bothering you so much.

With the rework, Ember went from a 2-ability frame to a 1-ability frame. Instead of priming enemies with 2 then obliterating them with 4, now you can just spam 4 and the map will disappear in front of you. Wow, great gameplay there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

are we showing off builds here or something? 

vHmlxWt.png

P.S. replacing Quick Thinking for Overextended (and Flow for Secrets or something) of course if ever need more range. but honestly 115% fully nukes the room you're in anyway.

Edited by zoffmode

Ember now is more flexible with her kit. the only thing she lost was weapon damage potential (due to the ability to keep stacking buffs on buffs before with ember) and changed that for more survivability and support and ability sustain was well if this makes a frame a meme for having multiple ways to play them then I guess so.

• Upvote 1

Basically you will be using 3 of her abilities most of the time,2 for DR for survivability,3 for CC and armor strip,and 4 for DPS,her 1 is useful for a damage buff if you put the augment on,so in theory,it is possible to have all 4 abilities viable in a single build,like mine. 

Not many frames can do that.

She is currently one of the better frames. You have good survivability, armor striping, some CC and good dps. Her skills synergize well together, so it is not just spam. You need to think (not so much). The augments do offer decent bonuses, including a team damage reduction. She is good solo, good in a team, good at low levels and good at high levels. That is not saying she has zero issues (skill 3 is a bit bugged) or out performing.

Hopefully we see more of this in future remake, where the frame end-up viable in almost all content.

Edited by (PS4)thegarada

On 2019-12-04 at 5:02 PM, (PS4)thegarada said:

She is currently one of the better frames. You have good survivability, armor striping, some CC and good dps. Her skills synergize well together, so it is not just spam. You need to think (not so much). The augments do offer decent bonuses, including a team damage reduction. She is good solo, good in a team, good at low levels and good at high levels. That is not saying she has zero issues (skill 3 is a bit bugged) or out performing.

Hopefully we see more of this in future remake, where the frame end-up viable in almost all content.

Good summary, but can you elaborate why you think they "synergize well together, so it is not just spam". I don't feel like I have to really think about what I'm doing:

I press 4 followed by 3, followed by 1. 4, 3, 4, 3, 3. And it's mostly AoE, so I don't have do much about it.

Compare that to e.g. Harrow. His abilities synergize well and each cast is meaningful.

Edited by Kontrollo
formatting
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kontrollo said:

Compare that to e.g. Harrow.

Hey that's not fair. Harrow is one of the most thoughtful designs in the game.

Nothing really comes close