Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soul Punch, And Shadows Of The Dead Need Better Synergy With Each Other.

Stafer

A bit of explanation; soul punch is an okay ability, its great for knocking down heavies, and units that are left unfazed by terrify, but as you get to rather high level crazy enemies, your ability to actually kill foes is greatly slowed, often leaving you only summoning 2 units when you cast shadows of the dead. This is just due to the sheer amount of health enemies have, and team effort it requires to take them down, there's just not enough time to let your Nekros tally up those souls. 

Solution: Let soul punch capture the soul of an enemy, putting it at a locked queue state, unable to be overwritten until you next cast shadows of the dead, which consequently expends them. This then solves the problem of being a detriment to your team when waiting for choice picks, and the problem in high level stages, not being able to rack up souls very fast and thus not being able to amass a formidable shadow force when casting your ult.

Just a few small tweaks that could further improve the performance of Nekros:

-Reduce the cast time of shadows of the dead. Additionally, the AI (as we all know) for the shadows needs to be reworked. First and foremost, to help alot of the movement issues with the shadows, they should be able to move through each other, and other Tenno.  In my opinion, the shadows should try to follow Nekros, until they see an enemy. Upon seeing an enemy, they will then move into a position where they may fire upon said foe in a clear path, just like regular enemies do. If Nekros ventures too far from his shadows, they will (if able) try to follow him while sustaining fire upon the enemies until they are out of sight. If Nekros places a waypoint, the shadows should group there, and engage any enemies in the general vicinity (moving to a clear sight path if necessary), and also will not follow Nekros if he wanders too far. If Nekros waypoints a specific enemy, shadows will focus fire on that particular target. Also giving the shadows a bit of a boost with base duration, should help it to be worthy of its 100 energy cost.

-Soul punch should, instead of relying on the rag-dolled enemy to collide with other enemies, emit a straight-flying energy colored disc that flies for a short lifespan in the direction of the punch. the projectile rag-dolls any enemy it collides with, and can be made to last longer with duration mods.

-Terrify should be a state (much like iron skin, invisibility, and link), rather than an AoE effect. Nekros makes himself the center of terror, and for the duration of the skill, is enveloped in a sickly black smoke, and has a high chance to terrify any enemy that gazes upon him (enemies that overcome the urge to flee will still glow and take additional damage). Duration of state and duration of enemy cowardice may be prolonged with duration mods.

-Desecrate is fine i guess, but it would be kind of cool if each enemy desecrated would replenish 10 HP to the caster, and drop energy orbs a bit more frequently (not asking energy orbs to drop as much as health orbs), not only to help you, but to help your team as well. As a whole, changing the skill in this way may add more impact to Nekros' support role, and also give him a method of self-protection. 

Thank you for your time, please share your thoughts and opinions.

Ember players have been begging DE to make her skills have more synergy for quite some time. And she ended up getting nerfed, and redundant skills left mechanically unchanged.

As great as these suggestions are I don't think DE is capable of reading forum feedback on warframes and implementing changes based on them. Thanks again btw Scott. My fav. warframe is still hanging out in limbo even after the "improvement pass".

I haven't played him yet but from what I've read I think this is a great idea. Also, to DavidSPD, it is plainly obvious that DE spends all the time reading the feedback on the forums. In the livestreams they talk about how that's one of the first things they do when they get to work and one of the last things they do when they leave, so they always have a sense of what the community is thinking

I haven't played him yet but from what I've read I think this is a great idea. Also, to DavidSPD, it is plainly obvious that DE spends all the time reading the feedback on the forums. In the livestreams they talk about how that's one of the first things they do when they get to work and one of the last things they do when they leave, so they always have a sense of what the community is thinking

It's not plainly obvious. Responding to concerns via livestream doesn't = addressing said concerns.They SAY they are. But if that was actually the case then where are the Ember fixes? Scott said he'd take a look at her again, and it's been what... almost two weeks (more than that, probably) and not a single number change. Does it take THAT long to read a bunch of nerf threads and find good feedback and change numbers based on that feedback?

Also the fact that people have been saying for quite some time that Ember doesn't have good synergy with her skills and have been giving suggestions on how to make her perform better without making her OP, but all we received was a bugfix, a couple of number changes and a massive nerf to a core skill that kept her alive outside of infested missions. Pretty sure none of these things were being requested overall. Ember feels "old" and feels older and older with each new update and warframe. And now the only faction she's really mediocre against is infested, and thanks to some bugs with crowd control she's still not really very good there either.

It seems to me the thing they are good at is looking over the forums BEFORE A LIVESTREAM and making it out to be more serious than it really is to them. I may be a bit off base here and maybe they do better than I'm claiming but when my main warframe gets her most important skill gutted but her abilities uses are still "use 4 to kill some stuff, but shoot them while they burn or else you can't kill anything above 50" that angers, frustrates and motivates me to cause a ruckus.

I was perfectly content until this alleged "improvement pass" happened to Ember. Her armor on Overheat didn't make me the top performer or a massively OP tank, nor did it carry me when my shooting skills or timed use of abilities weren't sufficient and yet Scott says she's supposed to be a sort of glass cannon caster, but her skills do not have the utility nor the damage to justify this description. Nova does more damage than Ember's entire kit with a single ability. They're supposed to be the same class of warframe. Use abilities to do damage. Yet ALL of Ember's abilities are focused around doing damage, where Nova's only three of them do.

Rather than adjust Nova's mechanics/numbers to bring her down a bit, they slightly raised Ember's DPS and gutted the thing that kept her alive against factions that weren't impacted so much by her abilities. The net result was a nerf. The increased damage does not make enough difference to justify leaving her mechanics untouched, and her near removal of armor buff on Overheat.

If Scott was doing what you say, then his conclusion on this change being a good idea just boggles my mind. Obviously he realizes it wasn't what she needed, but while he ponders on what an ACTUAL good change is, sad people like me have a 4-starred Ember just sitting around because we don't like being blown up in missions that should be doable at our mastery rank.

Sorry if I'm wrong about them saying they'll fix something and then not doing it. I'm relatively new to the forums, and haven't really been paying attention to the whole "balance" thing since up until Ember I had no problems with anything from firsthand experience. I typically don't like to get involved in balance stuff without firsthand experience either.

I don't think DE is capable of reading forum feedback on warframes and implementing changes based on them.

I quoted the main point I was trying to make. They "balance" warframes on what they think they need, not what we'd love to see, no matter how reasonable and "fair" the requested changes are.

Really sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread. But it's very disheartening to see so many of these threads on how to make warframes more mechanically sound and then things like Ember's "improvement" happen.

Frustrated and depressed rant aside (and to contribute to Ember instead of piling on) here's how I suggest she be fixed

Increase speed to compensate for low defensive stats

1. Fireball direct impact causes knockdown (either single target or small AoE). Damage stays the same.

2. Increased damage and range. Keep armor as is

3. Cause enemies to be pulled into Ember and knocked down/lit on fire. No longer leaves ring of fire

4. Lower range and remove limit on # of enemies effected. Fiery explosion AoE damage and leaves ring of fire. No longer follows Ember around. Speed up or change casting animation to make at least 25% faster

All skills affected by Stretch, Continuity and Focus.

Edited by DavidSPD

To above^ (large quote box)

I think it's best to just simply (i know, its been said) wait until armor 2.0 is released, and then after that, DE should have time to work out some of the kinks, and also some of the abyssal imbalances associated with certain warframes. It seems that as far as warframes go, Ember and Volt are in most need of a change. Though seemingly ironic that these 2 frames are both based on elemental damage types, it is apparent that this aids to the reason of why they are in a bit of a hole right now. Elemental damage types scale horribly as enemy level goes up, so that issue should be remedied time come armor 2.0, but again, they may do some reworking for the better once that is out of the way, i mean after all look at mag, shes awesome now!