Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Equinox - Revisiting/Reworking Abilities

TehGrief

It's been eight months since Equinox Prime was released and also since I made my original thread:

In that time we have seen no alterations or changes to Equinox and she has once again been retired for me; the game-play loop lost its luster for me just as quick as it had with base Equinox.

I had been meaning to make a follow-up thread condensing my original ideas into a clearer, more concise format - one that isn't as confusing to follow. If you are wanting a more in-depth read, please refer to the original thread (linked above).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Proposed Ability Changes

______________________________________________________________________________________

[Passive] Equilibrium

Equinox and allies convert 10% of health and energy restored from orbs into health and energy (respectively) for you and allies within 15m.

• The passive acts like an supportive aura, granting allies a shared ability.
  • Instead of acting like a rank-0 Equilibrium mod, the passive would function like Arcane Pulse and Arcane Energize when picking up health and energy orbs.
  • If you or an ally pick up a health or energy orb, any ally within 15m would also receive the additional healing or energy.

[Passive] Metamorphosis

Equinox transforms between her night or day forms.

• Metamorphosis will be changed from her activated [1] to a passive ability - Similar to Limbo's Rift Walk.
  • By performing a roll, a sidespring, or a backspring (using shift and/or directional keys)1 Equinox can shift between Day and Night at no energy cost. Switching between forms no longer provides any bonuses2.
  • Allow Equinox to maintain any active abilities or charges as she switches between forms.
Spoiler

1 Performing the Metamorphosis maneuver will still provide the brief 75% damage reduction duration of a normal dodge roll.

2 Currently, the ability provides the following bonuses for Equinox:

• Night Form: Equinox gains 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 armor and 50 / 75 / 100 / 150 shields (affected by Ability Strength) for 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 seconds (affected by Ability Duration).
  • Day Form: Equinox gains 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% weapon damage and 5% / 10% / 12% / 15% movement speed (affected by Ability Strength) for 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 seconds (affected by Ability Duration).

[1] Shelter & Strike

Equinox or targeted ally gain a temporary buff based on the form that Equinox is currently in:

Night Form: (Shelter) Temporarily gain 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 armor and 50 / 75 / 100 / 150 shields (affected by Ability Strength) for 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 seconds (affected by Ability Duration).

Day Form: (Strike) Temporarily gain 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% weapon damage and 5% / 10% / 12% / 15% movement speed (affected by Ability Strength) for 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 seconds (affected by Ability Duration).

• These bonuses are based on the buffs gained by using the current Metamorphosis, providing additional support to yourself and the team. 
  • Targeting takes yourself into priority consideration before others.

[2] Rest & Rage

• No suggested changes for either the ability or the augment; seems to work fine. 

[3] Pacify & Provoke

• If the ability is being channeled in one form, allow the opposing ability to be activated upon form switch (i.e; if you're channeling Pacify in Night form, switching to Day form will have Provoke active).
  • Change Pacify to apply damage reduction aura to allies, instead of damage reduction to enemies - allowing for better maintenance of energy3.
Spoiler

As it currently is, Pacify's drain is based on the number of enemies (1.5 / 1.25 / 1 / 0.5 energy/s for each enemy within the aura). The aura should drain energy based on the number of allies within the aura, changing the ability from reducing the damage that enemies deal to reducing the damage that allies take. This change will bring Pacify more into line with Provoke's energy drain.

[4] Mend & Maim

• Make the charge conservation of Energy Transfer default to the ability and scale with the ability level (i.e; 50% / 65% / 80% / 100% conservation at ability level 0 / 1 / 2 / 3 respectively).

Universal Changes

• If an ability is being channeled in one form, allow the opposing ability to be active upon form switch (i.e; if you're channeling Mend in Night form, switching to Day form will have Maim active).

The main idea with these changes would be to encourage a wider variety and complexity to Equinox's game-play. As it currently stands, Equinox is mainly played as if she is strictly night form, or strictly day form.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TehGrief said:

[Passive] Metamorphosis

• Metamorphosis will be changed from her activated [1] to a passive ability - Similar to Limbo's Rift Walk.
  • By performing a roll, a sidespring, or a backspring (using shift and/or directional keys)1 Equinox can shift between Day and Night at no energy cost. Switching between forms no longer provides any bonuses2.
  • Allow Equinox to maintain any active abilities or charges as she switches between forms.

Rolling is a defensive move, it grants you 75% DR and quickly moves you away from an enemy. Limbo keeps that by having his roll changed to switch dimensions for him, putting him in another dimension and away from enemies.

If I'm playing Equinox, I don't want to flip back and forth between forms that much that I would ever want it on her roll. Nobody ever wants essentially random things to happen when you use an ability.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Rolling is a defensive move, it grants you 75% DR and quickly moves you away from an enemy.

24 minutes ago, TehGrief said:

By performing a roll, a sidespring, or a backspring (using shift and/or directional keys)1 Equinox can shift between Day and Night at no energy cost. Switching between forms no longer provides any bonuses2.

1 Performing the Metamorphosis maneuver will still provide the brief 75% damage reduction duration of a normal dodge roll.

• Night Form: Equinox gains 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 armor and 50 / 75 / 100 / 150 shields (affected by Ability Strength) for 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 seconds (affected by Ability Duration).
  • Day Form: Equinox gains 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% weapon damage and 5% / 10% / 12% / 15% movement speed (affected by Ability Strength) for 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 seconds (affected by Ability Duration).

7 minutes ago, TehGrief said:

For Limbo, it makes sense. It does not make sense for Equinox, a frame whose abilities are quite significantly different in each form.

You're stuck in a tile with a bunch of enemies firing at you. You're building up Maim and so you roll around, firing at enemies, and you get a second to use your 4. Are you going to get a wave of slashy death or overheal yourself by 1342743 Health?

12 minutes ago, TehGrief said:

By performing a roll, a sidespring, or a backspring (using shift and/or directional keys)1 Equinox can shift between Day and Night at no energy cost. Switching between forms no longer provides any bonuses2.

I would suggest this be a tap / hold function of her 1 (tap switches forms for no energy cost and virtually instantly, hold switches and provides buffs). It's a little on the mechanically complicated side to reapply a single buff, but the combination in principle works, and I don't think Limbo's rift-walking mechanic is really praised control-wise (though as peterc3 above says, they both share a "defensive" notion).

17 minutes ago, TehGrief said:

No suggested changes for either the ability or the augment; seems to work fine. 

Rage is extremely sub-par compared to Rest. A radiation proc would help it work with the increased enemy speed and damage vulnerability while granting it a modicum of CC capabilities like its night counterpart.

21 minutes ago, TehGrief said:

Make the charge conservation of Energy Transfer default to the ability and scale with the ability level (i.e; 50% / 65% / 80% / 100% conservation at ability level 0 / 1 / 2 / 3 respectively).

And for the replacement augment? (As other Warframes have acquired with reworks)

22 minutes ago, TehGrief said:

If an ability is being channeled in one form, allow the opposing ability to be active upon form switch (i.e; if you're channeling Mend in Night form, switching to Day form will have Maim active).

I would hope this would apply to Peaceful Provocation charge conservation as well.

22 minutes ago, TehGrief said:

The main idea with these changes would be to encourage a wider variety and complexity to Equinox's game-play. As it currently stands, Equinox is mainly played as if she is strictly night form, or strictly day form.

What I see this change doing is creating a focus around Rest and Maim instead of Rest or Maim, but with other abilities still largely ancillary. Consider that both Rest and Maim often share the "low strength, high range and duration" builds, while her 3, 1, and day 2 are all affected by Ability Strength.

Overall, the changes proposed make switching smoother, and the proposed change to Pacify and Provoke is welcome even just for technical consistency, but her abilities still suffer from a lot of the same mechanical problems. Mend, for example, draws from the same points pool as Maim. Even with Energy Transfer, this leaves two choices when gaining charge and being faced with an ally at low health: you can use Mend, burn a few million hit points worth of damage to heal them, and restart the Maim charge you were working on; or, you can wait for that person to go down, Maim release to nuke the area (because most people go down amid groups of enemies), and revive the person in relative safety after racking up a bucket full of kills. Or nuke the area and pop a health pizza for them. It's difficult to justify using that much damage accumulation for healing with the current way Mend works and with the various other methods of healing (self and otherwise) at player disposals. There's the option of building up the charge with the intent of using Mend, but we basically have that already (with only a little extra form-switching fuss at worst) yet it's seldom used.

8 hours ago, peterc3 said:

You're stuck in a tile with a bunch of enemies firing at you. You're building up Maim and so you roll around, firing at enemies, and you get a second to use your 4. Are you going to get a wave of slashy death or overheal yourself by 1342743 Health?

I suppose this would simply require the user to be practical and pay attention to their game-play.

8 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

Rage is extremely sub-par compared to Rest. A radiation proc would help it work with the increased enemy speed and damage vulnerability while granting it a modicum of CC capabilities like its night counterpart.

I do not disagree that Rage can be dangerous to use - however, that is really the purpose of the ability. I believe the bonus damage that the enemies receive from Rage is reasonable in comparison to the slight speed bonus they gain. I find it most useful to use on elite units such as Bombards or Nox, as you can single them out and quickly dispatch them. Though, if there was to be a "Confusion" status effect added to the ability I would not complain.

And for the replacement augment? (As other Warframes have acquired with reworks)

A replacement augment for Energy Transfer? Sure, I can think of a few things off the top of my head, here's one: 

Lingering Masochism
Mend & Main Augment -
Deactivating creates a circular area that slowly uses the stored charges over time - affecting new allies/enemies as they enter the radius.

Spoiler

Mend - Stored charges restore missing health and shields to allies within the radius.
Maim - Stored charges cause slash damage over time to enemies within the radius.

I would hope this would apply to Peaceful Provocation charge conservation as well.

That would be the idea - the whole concept is to stop punishing players from switching between the forms.

• Like 1

I don't think Limbo's rift-walking mechanic is really praised control-wise (though as peterc3 above says, they both share a "defensive" notion).

I find Limbo's rift walk to be incredibly smooth to use - it feels natural with his play-style, it will just take some time to get used to new things; change can be scary, I get it, but unique abilities are what keeps the game fresh and interesting. 

The portion of this ability would remain - I had hoped that I made that clear in my post, but apparently I had not. I would want it to function nearly identical to how Limbo's ability works - He rolls and enters the void; as Equinox "Rolls" she switches between forms. She would maintain forward momentum and still possess the damage reduction (as I had stated in the original post).

The purpose of keeping the accumulated charges / active abilities while switching forms would be to allow smoother play and encourage the transformation - meaning that there would be no negative consequences to "accidental metamorphosis"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TehGrief said:

I do not disagree that Rage can be dangerous to use - however, that is really the purpose of the ability. I believe the bonus damage that the enemies receive from Rage is reasonable in comparison to the slight speed bonus they gain. I find it most useful to use on elite units such as Bombards or Nox, as you can single them out and quickly dispatch them. Though, if there was to be a "Confusion" status effect added to the ability I would not complain.

It's less that it's dangerous and more that it very seldom provides a non-replaceable benefit: for many if not most weapons against most enemies, the subtracted TTK granted by the damage bonus pretty much is the same length as the cast time itself. You either have to get quite sub-par weapons or get very high in level for there to be a noticeable advantage for using Rage over just keeping the trigger held / button mashed etc., especially when it does scale based on power strength.

1 hour ago, TehGrief said:

I had hoped that I made that clear in my post, but apparently I had not.

You had mentioned that clearly. The point @peterc3 and I are making is that the "roll to switch" concept isn't appealing. For Limbo, it makes a modicum of sense to combine the two functions, because dipping into the Rift is defensive / evasive in nature (since enemies can't hit him in the Rift) - note how Equinox changing forms does not contain the same defensive / evasive nature. That and trying to tie his Rift walker ability to some other key press doesn't make a great deal of sense—though one could still argue to make his 1 a tap / hold function and imply that he's casting it on himself to hop into the Rift.

For Equinox, on the other hand, she already has her switching tied to a button. The problem with it as it stands lies in its energy cost and cast time. As I suggested: that can be fixed with a tap / hold function that effectively separates it into quick-and-free and slow-but-buff versions or just having the tap "select" a form and the hold cast the buff, see e.g. Quiver, Motes... Basically what's being proposed for dodging, but not tying it to the dodge key.

Importantly: people aren't all happy about Limbo's Rift walk being tied to his dodge key, mostly because rolling is often used as a mobility technique. And between him and Equinox, he's the one where that function ties together best. If players aren't happy with him having it, I can't imagine many would be happy with her doing similar.

I agree with the OP's proposed changes for Equinox, but however, I think more can be done besides quality of life changes. As an avid player of Equinox, the main thing that bothered me was how detached her forms were from each other, and how their abilities didn't allow the player to take advantage of her very unique mechanic of swapping her forms in gameplay, outside of the duality augment. I believe, if fully realized, her Metamorphosis could allow for an interesting, engaging, and fun type of gameplay. One where Metamorphosis is necessary to be effective while playing as her. Which can be done, by redesigning her forms to work in tandem to chain the active ability of one form with the ability of the other form.

This way, instead of them acting as separate Warframes where the player has to choose one over the other for the duration of a mission, they act as a team taking turns and working together across a mission, and the player has to manage the abilities of both of their kits to create effective combinations of said abilities. It's not only fitting for her gameplay wise, but also in terms of her theme, Yin and Yang. Although they are opposites, they are also interdependent on each other, and can't function without the other. So, her forms being redesigned to work with each other in general gameplay, makes sense.   

I made a thread trying to pitch this idea a couple of months ago.

From this thread I met @Teridax68 who posted an very interesting idea for an Equinox Rework.

• Passive - Metamorphosis: Upon casting an ability, Equinox switches forms, unlocking new abilities. Perhaps she could also keep Equilibrium.
  • 1 - Shield and Strike: Equinox launches her current form in the target direction, which applies an effect around it as it travels.
    • Night Form - Shield: Equinox's Night form absorbs all nearby attacks and staggers enemies it passes through. The absorbed damage becomes additive ability strength for the next ability cast.  
    • Day Form - Strike: Equinox's Day form attacks all nearby enemies with a melee strike, applying melee bonuses.
    • Augment - Split: Core mechanic unchanged, clone spawns from the form Equinox launched.
  • 2 - Rest and Rage: Equinox casts a spell upon the target cluster of enemies.
    • Night Form - Rest: Targets are put to sleep.
    • Day Form - Rage: Targets draw the ire of their allies, who attack them for increased damage (this includes other enemies affected by Rage).
    • Augment - Radiance: Mechanics unchanged.
  • 3 - Pacify and Provoke: Equinox emits a radial burst of power around herself.
    • Night Form - Pacify: Equinox and allies hit become briefly invisible.
    • Day Form - Provoke: Equinox and allies hit deal bonus damage on their next instance of damage, with the bonus charging up to full power over a brief duration.
    • Augment - Permanence: Equinox leaves behind a reflection of the Sun or Moon, depending on the ability's version, at the location of cast for a duration that grants the ability's benefits to all allies in range, including Equinox. 
  • 4 - Mend and Maim: Passively, Equinox accumulates power when nearby enemies are damaged.
    • Night Form - Mend: Equinox expends her accumulated power to place a protective ward upon herself and all nearby allies, which prevents a set amount of damage, and grants immunity to status effects and staggers.
    • Day Form - Maim: Equinox expends her accumulated power to damage all nearby enemies in a single, overwhelming blast.
    • Augment - Meld: Equinox enters her dual form for a duration based on the power expended, causing her abilities to apply the effects of both forms simultaneously.

The general idea here being that each version of the ability would have only a single, specific component, that would be mediocre on its own but significantly more effective when combined with something else (for example, Strike's projected melee attack with Rest's sleep effect). Additionally, I think we need to get rid of the persistent aura-based bonuses, because that just makes Equinox want to stay in the same form to make use of their effects, whereas bursty, or at the least fire-and-forget abilities wouldn't have such a problem.

While Equinox doesn't have full control of Metamorphosis, since it passively activates every time she uses an ability, it not only allows Equinox to easily combine abilities of her forms without needing to push an extra button, but also makes the player be mindful of her abilities in order to create certain positive effects, through the combination of her abilities.

I even came up with possible combos for this rework idea they had.

if Shield is used first:

• In Night Form, use Shield to detract enemies and collect damage to be converted into additional Power Strength for the next ability.
  • In Day Form, Use Rage, with the additional Power Strength collected from Shield, further distract and increase the damage your enemies do to themselves.
  • In Night Form, use Pacify to make you and/or your team invisible and quietly take out the remaining enemies.

If Shield used in a middle of a combo:

• In Day Form, use Rage to increase your enemies' damage.
  • In Night Form, use Shield to collect that increased enemy damage and then return it back to you as additional Power Strength for your next ability.
  • In Day Form, use the extra Power Strength on Strike to mow down the weakened enemies in front of you.
  • Or..
  • In Day Form, use the extra Power Strength on Maim, if it's charged, to slash apart your enemies with greater damage.
  • Or....
  • In Day Form, use the extra Power Strength on Provoke.
  • In Night Form, use Pacify to become invisible, or Rest to put your enemies asleep.
  • In Day Form use Strike on your enemies, applying the damage with Stealth and Provoke bonuses.

I believe this concept of turning her Metamorphosis ability into a beneficial gameplay mechanic, by allowing to the player to use of her whole kit and combining her abilities across both of her forms to create larger positive effects, would be far more engaging and fun for the player. It would open up tons of creative options for the players in the middle of combat. 

Of course the downsides of this redesign of her kit(s), she would become one of the most, or THE most, technical support Warframe in the game, which requires a certain level of skill to play. Considering she is basically two warframes in one body that rely on cooperating with each other to be effective, and having twice the abilities of standard Warframes, she would end up very deep and complex. However, her complexity also can work in the player's favor, if they take the time to learn her various abilities, combinations of her abilities, and thinking ahead of her next form switch, she can be an invaluable asset to a squad. She would classify as a "Difficult, but Awesome" kind of frame, once the player understands her.

Edited by A-keras
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, TehGrief said:

It's been eight months since Equinox Prime was released and also since I made my original thread:

In that time we have seen no alterations or changes to Equinox and she has once again been retired for me; the game-play loop lost its luster for me just as quick as it had with base Equinox.

I had been meaning to make a follow-up thread condensing my original ideas into a clearer, more concise format - one that isn't as confusing to follow. If you are wanting a more in-depth read, please refer to the original thread (linked above).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Proposed Ability Changes

______________________________________________________________________________________

[Passive] Equilibrium

Equinox and allies convert 10% of health and energy restored from orbs into health and energy (respectively) for you and allies within 15m.

• The passive acts like an supportive aura, granting allies a shared ability.
  • Instead of acting like a rank-0 Equilibrium mod, the passive would function like Arcane Pulse and Arcane Energize when picking up health and energy orbs.
  • If you or an ally pick up a health or energy orb, any ally within 15m would also receive the additional healing or energy.

[Passive] Metamorphosis

Reveal hidden contents

[1] Shelter & Strike

Equinox or targeted ally gain a temporary buff based on the form that Equinox is currently in:

Night Form: (Shelter) Temporarily gain 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 armor and 50 / 75 / 100 / 150 shields (affected by Ability Strength) for 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 seconds (affected by Ability Duration).

Day Form: (Strike) Temporarily gain 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% weapon damage and 5% / 10% / 12% / 15% movement speed (affected by Ability Strength) for 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 seconds (affected by Ability Duration).

• These bonuses are based on the buffs gained by using the current Metamorphosis, providing additional support to yourself and the team. 
  • Targeting takes yourself into priority consideration before others.

[2] Rest & Rage

• No suggested changes for either the ability or the augment; seems to work fine. 

[3] Pacify & Provoke

• If the ability is being channeled in one form, allow the opposing ability to be activated upon form switch (i.e; if you're channeling Pacify in Night form, switching to Day form will have Provoke active).
  • Change Pacify to apply damage reduction aura to allies, instead of damage reduction to enemies - allowing for better maintenance of energy3.
  Hide contents

As it currently is, Pacify's drain is based on the number of enemies (1.5 / 1.25 / 1 / 0.5 energy/s for each enemy within the aura). The aura should drain energy based on the number of allies within the aura, changing the ability from reducing the damage that enemies deal to reducing the damage that allies take. This change will bring Pacify more into line with Provoke's energy drain.

[4] Mend & Maim

• Make the charge conservation of Energy Transfer default to the ability and scale with the ability level (i.e; 50% / 65% / 80% / 100% conservation at ability level 0 / 1 / 2 / 3 respectively).

Universal Changes

• If an ability is being channeled in one form, allow the opposing ability to be active upon form switch (i.e; if you're channeling Mend in Night form, switching to Day form will have Maim active).

I like these changes quite a bit except I would keep her 1 as it is but implement your buffs. [And keeping roll as is] I agree with you that equinox  is mostly played as one form or another and I too would like to see both being used. I think your ideas should be used

The two most important aspects of improving Equinox, in my opinion, are:

1. Making Metamorphosis energy cost-free and activate-able without cancelling active auras on (3) and (4).
  2. Improve Mend's energy drain.

The first can be achieved either bay a tap/hold functionality on (1) or by dodge rolling (like OP's Limbo case). Either or would be effective and players who lean on dodge rolling have other Warframe options in their load out if they're beneath the skill ceiling it would pose to monitor the charge count on (4). Whichever option DE prefers is fine with me.

The second just needs to happen. Making drain based on enemies for a DR aura makes no sense. Either make the drain flat based on the ability (where drain is always X rate, affected by duration/efficiency) or allies as OP said, since this is effectively a roundabout way of doing the same.

22 hours ago, (PS4)vinton14 said:

I like these changes quite a bit except I would keep her 1 as it is but implement your buffs. [And keeping roll as is] I agree with you that equinox  is mostly played as one form or another and I too would like to see both being used.

It is the (1) that controls the transitioning though? If you want to see both forms being used I'm not sure how that jives with the first sentence here about keeping it the same. If (1) stays the same and the buffs are implemented, people will continue to use one form or another- just that we will likely see more Night Form around given Maim's clear dominance over Mend.

On 2019-12-05 at 11:41 AM, ShasOBorkan said:

It is the (1) that controls the transitioning though? If you want to see both forms being used I'm not sure how that jives with the first sentence here about keeping it the same. If (1) stays the same and the buffs are implemented, people will continue to use one form or another- just that we will likely see more Night Form around given Maim's clear dominance over Mend.

Indeed. As much as I like the changes. I think redesigning her so her opposite halves act as a team would actually give reason to use both. Equinox, counting both of her forms, currently has the most abilities out of every other Waframe in the game. But however, the player cannot take advantage of that fact in general gameplay, due to their abilities not only they don't have synergy with their other half, and also work against each other, an example of Maim possibly waking up enemies under Rest due to DoTs. And it's still a problem even if these changes were to be implemented.

Edited by A-keras

I love the augment for her 1, so I'd miss that if it's gone but otherwise good rework.

On 2019-12-03 at 11:47 PM, TehGrief said:

[2] Rest & Rage

I have a suggestion for this. Remove the buff to enemy fire rate on rage. No reason we should allow high level enemies to destroy us at the cost of our own energy.