Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What would happen if railjack/empyrean fails?

(PSN)ChaosTheNerd

9 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

I don't think they worry too much considering the forums community represents a tiny fraction of the vocal playerbase

1 minute ago, (XB1)AMONGTHEWEAK said:

Yea, you figure the majority of people who play a game, don't go on the forums of the game. Only those really serious about the game or those who have a concern or question/bug etc.

Well, even if you have 100k people, but only 25k of them are complaining, that's still a big enough sample of the population to base a decision off of.

And frankly, anyone who can't be arsed to make a forum account and give their opinions or what not on Railjack or the Lich System, are in no position to complain if DE listens to the vocal minority.

I actually don't want to think about it.

I mean, that is the worst case scenario right ? A year of content drought, followed up by an update despised by a significant portion of the community into a failed big update that has been teased for like 2 years ? Nope, things can't/won't go that wrong.

• Like 2

I'm still in "wait and see" mode.

Railjack has the potential to be a really great addition to the game or it could just be a repackaged plains of eidolon/Fortuna .... in space - with more boring syndicates to grind for....but in space.

It also has the potential to become archwing 2.0. Abandoned and not fully realized. 

It all hinges on ship combat and control being well done and the type of content they include. If it's just going to be exterminate .... but in space. Then it's a fail. If they bring something new for once, then it could be good. For example if its just cheesy on rails type missions, it's gonna get old fast.

I'm still concerned about how it will play solo and what steps they have taken to alleviate host migrations in coop. Those 2 things will be deal makers or breakers for me.

Edited by IIDMOII
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, (PS4)The1stAzrael said:

Well, even if you have 100k people, but only 25k of them are complaining, that's still a big enough sample of the population to base a decision off of.

And frankly, anyone who can't be arsed to make a forum account and give their opinions or what not on Railjack or the Lich System, are in no position to complain if DE listens to the vocal minority.

Oh I agree, I'm not saying the forums should be ignored. I'm just pointing out that people having been saying the same thing with every major update for years and WF has always done just fine, or even done better. The amount of times people have screamed about an update being horrible and WFs imminent death, only to have it turn out to either be successful or just meh would be surprising.

Same old same old, the wheel keeps turning, the snake swallows its tail etc

• Like 3

I've been playing Warframe fairly regularly since it launched on PS4, and if there's one thing I can say - its that Warframe is like the US stock market - it's filled with ups and downs through the various updates, but ultimately its always on the up-and-up given the grand scale of time it has been up and running

Every update, someone posts something along the lines of "If X update fails, then Warframe will die." The problem is - the various terms that dictate whether an update actually fails is very different than what we, a vocal minority on a forum, define as failure. This is also true as overhyped games are teased - remember when Andromeda and Anthem were going to kill Warframe? How about those original toxic "Destiny vs Warframe" debacles?

The big picture is this: yes - someone is going to download this update, despise it for what ever reason, and never play Warframe again. Heck, they might even rant about it here. At the same time, someone is going to download the update, and adore it, calling it the greatest thing to come to Warframe, while logging in constant hours making the most of it, and buying plat to support DE; And you are going to have a vast playerbase everywhere in between those extremes.

That's the beauty of it - just don't worry about it. If you love the update - great! Keep enjoying Warframe. If you despise it - oh well, there'll be another update soon, you can just enjoy the content you enjoyed before, the old stuff very likely isn't going anywhere.

I'm not saying DE or Warframe is perfect, but I am saying there are a lot of people that far and away over-react. I love this game and want it to succeed for many years to come - but that doesn't mean that every update has to somehow save this very alive game from dying, "despite youtubers and veterans leaving in droves."

• Like 12

Just now, (PS4)Shade0217 said:

I've been playing Warframe fairly regularly since it launched on PS4, and if there's one thing I can say - its that Warframe is like the US stock market - it's filled with ups and downs through the various updates, but ultimately its always on the up-and-up given the grand scale of time it has been up and running

Every update, someone posts something along the lines of "If X update fails, then Warframe will die." The problem is - the various terms that dictate whether an update actually fails is very different than what we, a vocal minority on a forum, define as failure. This is also true as overhyped games are teased - remember when Andromeda and Anthem were going to kill Warframe? How about those original toxic "Destiny vs Warframe" debacles?

The big picture is this: yes - someone is going to download this update, despise it for what ever reason, and never play Warframe again. Heck, they might even rant about it here. At the same time, someone is going to download the update, and adore it, calling it the greatest thing to come to Warframe, while logging in constant hours making the most of it, and buying plat to support DE; And you are going to have a vast playerbase everywhere in between those extremes.

That's the beauty of it - just don't worry about it. If you love the update - great! Keep enjoying Warframe. If you despise it - oh well, there'll be another update soon, you can just enjoy the content you enjoyed before, the old stuff very likely isn't going anywhere.

I'm not saying DE or Warframe is perfect, but I am saying there are a lot of people that far and away over-react. I love this game and want it to succeed for many years to come - but that doesn't mean that every update has to somehow save this very alive game from dying, "despite youtubers and veterans leaving in droves."

Exactly this.

Thanks for putting it in terms my lazy, sarcastic ass couldnt. 

It'll be business as usual.

In fact, I'd say brace for impact, cause if the last 2 years have taught me something, DE is in that phase where they are satisfied with pushing out disappointment while still chasing unicorns. They want another Second Dream, but they are just too ambitions and feature creep shows in every single update because of it.

Seriously, I recall something Jim Sterling said about George Lucas: He needed someone to sit behind him with a rolled up newspaper and just smack them over the head and say NO! DE needs someone like that as well, cause no one's telling them no at the moment, so this train has no brakes anymore and will crash in every station along the way.

9 minutes ago, IIDMOII said:

It all hinges on ship combat and control being well done and the type of content they include. If it's just going to be exterminate .... but in space. Then it's a fail. If they bring something new for once, then it could be good. For example if its just cheesy on rails type missions, it's gonna get old fast.

It's definitely not on-rails from the previews-- Not to mention I doubt they'd do that, they aren't that cruel. Plus they've also shown more than just exterminate-- Out of the three missions we've seen, two have been more akin to Sabotage, and one more like Rescue, but with data instead of a hostage. Obviously we won't know until it comes out, but I think we should be alright in that respect.

15 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

Oh I agree, I'm not saying the forums should be ignored. I'm just pointing out that people having been saying the same thing with every major update for years and WF has always done just fine, or even done better. The amount of times people have screamed about an update being horrible and WFs imminent death, only to have it turn out to either be successful or just meh would be surprising.

Yeah, I joined in 2017, and at first the howling and gnashing of teeth had me a little worried, but after 2 years it's clear most of these doomsayers are over-exaggerating their claims. Even their official "partners have fallen for it (I always laugh a little when I remember those partners that jumped ship and began making Anthem content, only to have the game bomb shortly after release). But I can't help but wonder which update will truly make or break Warframe.

Edited by (PS4)The1stAzrael
added something

1 minute ago, (PS4)The1stAzrael said:

Yeah, I joined in 2017, and at first the howling and gnashing of teeth had me a little worried, but after 2 years it's clear most of these doomsayers are over-exaggerating their claims. Even their official "partners have fallen for it (I always laugh a little when I remember those partners that jumped ship and began making Anthem content, only to have the game bomb shortly after release). But I can't help but wonder which update will truly make or break Warframe.

OH man people should take YTers with even more grains of salt. They are often even worse sources of information regarding the state of WF then the forums. Now i think about it, thats where a lot of people get their opinions from anyway. "If my fav YTer said it then then it must be true!"

When WF eventually runs its course, it will likely be a combination of things and more than just a poorly received update. And I mean an actual poorly received update. Not just forum ranting. Lets hope things get better, not worse though.

• Like 1

Here's how I look at it. Veteran players either want something fun, new/different, challenging/rewarding or all 3. For new players, most updates usually encompass all 3 categories. Because with vets who have at least 1500 hours under their belt, they have certainly "been there and done that" in WF. Imagine being DE and trying to come up with new ideas that they figure the majority of their player base will enjoy and will entertain them for hours. And then having to do this indefinitely (at least for what we as players know). After a while, for some of us who have played WF for 1500+ hours and for those above 3k+ may just want to see some different light and try out different games. It's ok to get tired of WF, even if the update for some does not appeal to them personally. We cannot expect them to entertain and wow us at every single turn. I am looking forward to see how it turns out, as new game releases are just around the corner. 

Edited by (XB1)AMONGTHEWEAK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

When WF eventually runs its course, it will likely be a combination of things and more than just a poorly received update. And I mean an actual poorly received update. Not just forum ranting. Lets hope things get better, not worse though.

My personal hope is that one day, when they're ready, DE will finish Warframe. The balance will be perfect, the story will be complete. The roster will be wide and diverse. The combat, the movement, the open worlds, the ship combat, all of it will be smooth and rewarding. And they'll know they've done a good job, and can move on to something new, safe in the knowledge that Warframe will be a classic to be remembered and revered as a fantastic example of an MMO.

... and people will still be complaining about Saryn on the forums. 

But hey, that's just my own personal pipe dream, I know that's a bit utopian for reality. But hey, we can always hope!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HazelCapulus said:

My personal hope is that one day, when they're ready, DE will finish Warframe. The balance will be perfect, the story will be complete. The roster will be wide and diverse. The combat, the movement, the open worlds, the ship combat, all of it will be smooth and rewarding. And they'll know they've done a good job, and can move on to something new, safe in the knowledge that Warframe will be a classic to be remembered and revered as a fantastic example of an MMO.

... and people will still be complaining about Saryn on the forums. 

But hey, that's just my own personal pipe dream, I know that's a bit utopian for reality. But hey, we can always hope!

I don't think WF will ever be 100% finished per se, its not that type of a game and we live in a time where most games are receiving constant updates including single player ones. That being said, I agree with the over all sentiment. I hope WF runs its course naturally and DE takes everything they learnt and goes on to make something better. 

The only thing I do know for sure is the more things change, the more they stay the same.

26 minutes ago, (PS4)CrazyBeaTzu said:

How would it fail? Thats subjective, based on the individual and how they perceive it. Someone is either going to be bitter and not like it no matter what, or they're going to have an open mind and try it out. 

Ah, we already have some of those in these forums.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

I wanna hear your thoughts on this.

It could definitely fail by being poorly received but Empyrean is a content update and won't be comparable to The Old Blood.

The Old Blood was just a feature update.

The Old Blood was just one feature of Empyrean that they let out the door early because it was time consuming and explained procedures and Bosses for Empyrean....Same thing with RailJack as you actually need a ship to pilot for it.

What's funny to me is had they held them both until Empyrean folks would have lost their minds at the amount of stuff that had to be grinded at the exact same time instead.

41 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

I've never seen an outrage towards any kind of update or game change as the one with the old blood, ever. So you've made a too broad of a generalization here. 

Also there hasn't been such a content absent year as this one since the games release I think(we've had a lore quest or a decent WF quest like Harrow's each year), so I wouldn't dumb it down to "yeah people whine about every update" when the circumstances are different. 

Saying that WF is on the ropes is a bit going too far obviously, but I do think the incoming 2 big updates(raijack and new war) will have a significant impact on how many people will play the game for the next year or so(maybe till next tennocon). 

14 minutes ago, White_Matter said:

I've never seen an outrage towards any kind of update or game change as the one with the old blood, ever. So you've made a too broad of a generalization here. 

I have, been here pretty much since the beginning, so i've seen a lot of ups and downs here. In fact, i've seen worse. I've seen updates where more than a few people have been ballsy enough to threaten devs and be scarily vocal on the forums about an update. 

Not saying these updates aren't important, but once again, the forums represents a tiny portion of the vocal community, and TOB is FAR from being the most poorly received update on the forums. In fact, I haven't particularly noticed a whole lot more people upset with TOB then  with any other update. 

People that are happy or indifferent, tend to not say anything at all, thus often creating the illusion that everyone is mad.

Edited by StinkyPygmy
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, White_Matter said:

Also there hasn't been such a content absent year as this one since the games release I think(we've had a lore quest or a decent WF quest like Harrow's each year), so I wouldn't dumb it down to "yeah people whine about every update" when the circumstances are different. 

Saying that WF is on the ropes is a bit going too far obviously, but I do think the incoming 2 big updates(raijack and new war) will have a significant impact on how many people will play the game for the next year or so(maybe till next tennocon). 

Really? PoE didn't have as much outrage? People were so mad in the forums cuz of all the bugs and being unable to access the content. People absolutely whine about every single update, you get people like Brozime on Youtube constantly saying how DE has fudged it all up plus the forums have never changed. I loved Orb Vallis on release, incredibly dangerous, enemies were lethal, teleport drops, it felt like you invaded a military base and they were gonna mess you upwith everything they had, absolutely loved it, yet everyone else thought it was absolutely horrible.

If Empyrean bombs then they'll do what they usually do, patch it up into a usable state resolving most of the issues people complained about over the next year or so and then move on while occasionally glancing back and performing a tweak here and there.

• Like 6