Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Alteration: A Progression System

MageMeat

TL;DR at the bottom.

EDIT: I expected a lot more hate.

Now to start off.

This is a system that works kind of like a job advancement, albeit these are sidegrades, not complete upgrades.

So as a Warframe gets halfway through it's leveling (level 15) the player will receive the option to alter their abilities or (depending on what you think is best) receive a new set of them. If you do choose to alter, then you will receive the ability to expand on the selected alteration again at level 30.

There will be an option to reverse a choice in alteration, but I will discuss that later.

For example, I will use Ember.

Level 15 Choices

None: Retain your current abilities.

Destroyer: Receive a more offensive skillset. These sacrifice durability for greater power.

Flameguard: Receive a more defensive skillset. These sacrifice power for durability.

Level 30 Choices

If you chose none: You can choose either of the following anyways, or continue with the same skillset.

If you chose Destroyer:

Purifier: A slow but highly destructive skillset, focusing on destroying large amounts of enemies in a short amount of time.

OR

Hellhound: A fast variation which focuses on continuously seeking out and damaging enemies.

If you chose Flameguard:

Consumer: A variation that focuses on drawing enemy fire away from teammates and setting alight all who come too close.

OR

Hestia: A quick-paced variation focused on blocking out enemies and protecting allies with the conjuration of flame.

If you want to reset a alteration:

The blueprint for a reset can be found in both the Orokin Void and Derelicts.

The build time would be an hour, probably.

It would be costly however.

Why would I do this?

You wouldn't have to.

The idea behind all of this is to create further diversity between the Warframes, beyond what mods can do.

And also (here's a wild idea), it could make a very slight cosmetic change so as to differentiate the alterations.

TL;DR: Just an idea of being able to expand upon/change your Warframe's playstyle, if you choose to do so.

All feedback is welcome, unless it's not feedback. If not, then get out.

Edited by MageMeat

Oh yes, this is a great idea! Something I've not seen suggested on the Forums as of yet, but has been used in a lot of MMO's and does have a lot of potential. It can sometimes restrict players in the what fighitng style they can use, but thats the price you pay for being perfectly suited to a situation.

This sounds like a good idea. Statistics would be nice.

"Purifier: A slow but highly destructive skillset, focusing on destroying large amounts of enemies in a short amount of time."

Do you mean slow as in the abilities are slow or it reduces the warframes sprint speed.

This is designed around what would be class advancement in other games. I think if you do choose one of these however, it should have a penalty of some sort to experience. Either that or you have to get to 30, choose the option, then it resets you to 0 with this improved warframe.

Edit:

If you choose to change your mind on the class, it should put you back at 15 or 20 even.

Edit2:

This is saying you have to reach 30 again and choose to advance or change your mind. Going back to the original frame method should put you at 20 and swapping to the other option should put you at 15. Every time you advance the exp requirement should multiply by 1.5 or 2, and stacks. i.e. Get to 30, choose alteration, reset to 0 with multiplier, get to 30, choose next alteration, next multiplier stacks on the old one. So getting the second advancement to 30 would be very tough.

Edited by BabEz4Breakfist

This sounds like a good idea. Statistics would be nice.

"Purifier: A slow but highly destructive skillset, focusing on destroying large amounts of enemies in a short amount of time."

Do you mean slow as in the abilities are slow or it reduces the warframes sprint speed.

This is designed around what would be class advancement in other games. I think if you do choose one of these however, it should have a penalty of some sort to experience. Either that or you have to get to 30, choose the option, then it resets you to 0 with this improved warframe.

Edit:

If you choose to change your mind on the class, it should put you back at 15 or 20 even.

Edit2:

This is saying you have to reach 30 again and choose to advance or change your mind. Going back to the original frame method should put you at 20 and swapping to the other option should put you at 15. Every time you advance the exp requirement should multiply by 1.5 or 2, and stacks. i.e. Get to 30, choose alteration, reset to 0 with multiplier, get to 30, choose next alteration, next multiplier stacks on the old one. So getting the second advancement to 30 would be very tough.

Movement speed slow.

Interesting ideas though!

Edited by MageMeat

I think new abilites should be outed, and it should focus more on survivability, support, and power output rather than creating new abilities. New abilities for every warframe would just add more mods to the mod pool, which we dont need hundreds of those added in one update. It should be more like advanced versions of helmets with no bad side to it.

Changing the effects of some cards would be nice.

i.e. flameguard should improve the overheat and fireblast abilities, and destroyer the world on fire and fireball abilities.

I think new abilites should be outed, and it should focus more on survivability, support, and power output rather than creating new abilities. New abilities for every warframe would just add more mods to the mod pool, which we dont need hundreds of those added in one update. It should be more like advanced versions of helmets with no bad side to it.

Changing the effects of some cards would be nice.

i.e. flameguard should improve the overheat and fireblast abilities, and destroyer the world on fire and fireball abilities.

So as a Warframe gets halfway through it's leveling (level 15) the player will receive the option to alter their abilities or (depending on what you think is best) receive a new set of them.

From the post itself.

I really like the idea.  More customized warframes and skillsets sounds great as a player.

However, DE might be less thrilled about it.  They're already having difficulty with balance now, when each warframe has 4 abilities.  If you give 8+ new skills for each warframe, I can see them being less than thrilled about it.

So a practical alternative:  how about instead of entirely new skill sets, you alter the main skills themselves?  For example, for your Flameguard example Ember would've gotten the damage resistance back on Overheat.  This seems like it would be much easier to implement than multiple new skillsets, and yet still allow for warframe/power customization.  (This is just a thought.  I like your idea better, but DE seems like it's already swamped doing new stuff & fixing old stuff.)

+1 to OP

So as a Warframe gets halfway through it's leveling (level 15) the player will receive the option to alter their abilities or (depending on what you think is best) receive a new set of them.

From the post itself.

I mean abilities as in mods. What I'm saying is the alteration would have similar effects to helmets, without the negative and improve mods depending on whether you chose to go offense, support, defense, tactics, and so on. You said the flameguard was an defensive alteration, so in turn it would improve the defensive mods of the frame itself, so when you equip the overheat mod, its overall stats would improve accordingly to work more defensively.

More examples following flameguard would be improved health and shields and a better armor rating, as you're following a defensive route. Little, preferably none, of the stats on the frame should be decreased when picking these options, at least on the first advancement. Hestia improves movement speed and focuses more on defense, so there should be a loss somewhere, like in power damage or degrading the fireball and world on fire mods.

Idea: (Note by rank i mean mod level - Rank 1 equals an untouched mod, 4 means maxed out since warframe cards can only be upgraded 3 times)

Going through with an advancement should treat all mods as if they are one level higher/lower in accordance with your decision.

So a rank 1 Overheat mod would act like a rank 2 and a rank 4 would act like a rank 5, but still consume mod slots like a maxed rank 4 Overheat.

Going with Hestia would make Fireball and World on fire go down by 1 and Overheat and Fire Blast go up by one more. So on Hestia, Fireball, when maxed out, would act like a rank 3.

This shouldn't affect below rank 1, as that should be the floor, so a rank 1 will always be a rank 1, but a rank 2 will act like a rank 1.

So to get the maximum efficiency out of offensive mods on hestia, you would need to max them out, and even then they would have rank 3 stats, making them weaker since you chose to go down a defensive path.

Being on Hestia would in turn make Overheat and Fire Blast work like rank 6 mods when maxed out.

This being said the mods would upgrade in the same way the would when getting them to 4, so when going from 3 to 4, if it gives +2 range, you get +2 per each rank for 5 and 6. If the mod is rank 1, it would go up respectively as if you were getting it up to 2 and 3.

I probably left something out, but I'll edit it or quote myself if need be.

K, new info providing further insight to my idea. Following info was taken directly from warframe wiki.

• Cost to equip of 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 which is then halved by the Polarity slot, rounded up.
  • Damage reduction of 15 / 20 / 30 / 40 percent to Shields and Health. This is affected by Power Strength (Focus).
  • Deals 100 / 125 / 175 / 200 damage per second in a small radius around the player (about 1 in-game meter). The burning damage is not affected by enemy armor. This is affected by Power Strength (Focus).
  • Duration of 7 / 12 / 15 / 20 seconds. This is affected by Power Duration (Continuity and Constitution).

Choosing flameguard would improve this mod by another level. Let's use the maxed version for the example.

The cost to equip would stay the same (7).

The damage reduction would go up to 50.

It would deal 200 damage since only defensive stats are being improved.

And it would last 20 seconds. Making this last any longer would be overkill.

A rank 3 mod would act like a rank 4 (maxed) mod while still consuming the same number of mod slots (6)

Hestia would further improves the damage reduction to 60 and improve the duration by 5 seconds. Since its a tier 2 advancement, it would have a second effect. The duration increase is debateable.

I really like the idea.  More customized warframes and skillsets sounds great as a player.

However, DE might be less thrilled about it.  They're already having difficulty with balance now, when each warframe has 4 abilities.  If you give 8+ new skills for each warframe, I can see them being less than thrilled about it.

So a practical alternative:  how about instead of entirely new skill sets, you alter the main skills themselves?  For example, for your Flameguard example Ember would've gotten the damage resistance back on Overheat.  This seems like it would be much easier to implement than multiple new skillsets, and yet still allow for warframe/power customization.  (This is just a thought.  I like your idea better, but DE seems like it's already swamped doing new stuff & fixing old stuff.)

+1 to OP

This is what I've been trying to explain. The overheat ability would be improved in defensive terms (I don't have an ember so I have no idea what the abilities do specifically. I just know which ones are what.) I could have just looked them up on the wiki now that I think about it. But he said the overheat gives damage reistance, so choosing flameguard would improve the Damage resistance and other stats of the mod as in my pst above to higer mod levels