Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feedback on resource and munitions management for railjacks

Pyrewyn

After watching the recent devstream and seeing the resource sink for the various railjack systems, i brainstormed a few suggestions to make the resource burden lighter (especially since we'll be using those resources for railjack research as well as supplies), while also keeping the role of engineering unchanged and still very much useful.

Revolite and the multitool

The Problem: the multitool using crafted ammo to keep the ship alive is a gameplay complication that gets in the way of empyrean's gameplay loop, if you get severely injured, you'd have to run away from battle and pick through asteroids frantically just to even get the materials to build revolite, then, engineering has to go down and craft it, after all this only then can you actually start repairing the ship.

Proposed Solution: to keep engineering's role in crafting supplies for the ship relevant while also ensuring you dont need to mad dash for scrap in order to keep yourself alive, the multitool could have a battery charge system that regenerates very slowly, and any crafted revolite can be used as a replacement battery to speed up the process of recharging your multitool. This way engineering can prepare for the worst, but still be capable of doing the light maintenance you might need in lighter engagements.

Flux Charges and ship abilities

not enough info, i assume various ship systems will allow for passive energy generation and crafting it will be similar to just crafting an energy restore pad

Dome Charges and the tunguska cannon

...is fine as is!
the "big gun" having limited, scarce ammo is rather fitting, as in every gameplay presentation showing the cannon, it was capable of 1-shoting its target. The tunguska cannon is not required for an engagement to be successful, but when you have ammo for it, it may help you get out of tough situations on behalf of its incredible power.

Munitions and missile-type weapons

The Problem: on the other hand, the munitions category of limited ammo weapon, while it hasn't been shown extensively, probably doesn't size up to the might of the tunguska cannon. The obvious trade off is that we get more ammo per munitions crafted, but putting the resources into crafting munitions seems like a waste of carbides that i could use on dome charges instead.

Proposed Solution: have munitions be a possible drop from enemy crewed ships. Thematically, it'd make sense for them to be carrying missiles and the like for their own use, that the player could then salvage for their personal use. However, they would not carry a full unit of munitions, and instead only partially refill your missile ammo, ideally this wouldn't completely negate the need to craft munitions yourself, it would be better to prepare a stack of munitions yourself and use excess munitions as you get it, or bank it for the tougher missions.

Edited by Screamlord_Star
flux charges had wrong info
  • Like 4

They did not stockpile resources, nor did they make sure they had stored equipment. Then they jumped into a tier 2~ mission at best with starter equipment sub tier 1. Showing a really frantic and unplanned display. Then dev build quantities that have not yet been finalized.

Its like when Nav Coordinates were freshly introduced when they decided to gate most infestation content. It was a pain to get 5 per mission fresh at the patch introduction. All kinds of complaints. Now? We have thousands and its just a 60s foundry wait.

The stream is just not a good sample of how bad it is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

They did not stockpile resources, nor did they make sure they had stored equipment. Then they jumped into a tier 2~ mission at best with starter equipment sub tier 1. Showing a really frantic and unplanned display. Then dev build quantities that have not yet been finalized.

oh im well aware, none of them had also spec'd for engineering as far as i know, but there are still some problems with the active use of resources for every single mission you go into that i wanted to address with this feedback while also keeping the original vision for the mechanics intact so that no drastic changes are needed

if you can stockpile before battle,main issue is you are gonna have a hard time if the battle takes longer than expected and planned,and you run out.

Not too sure if there is a limit on how much resources and stuff that you can make like munitions can be stockpiled before battle too.

57 minutes ago, bubbabenali said:

If I learned one thing from Elite Dangerous then it's this: Ammo based weapons and supplies sucks ass hard. 

Running out of multicannon rounds in the middle of a large battle is just the worst.

Hopefully there will be large caches spread throughout the map that we can mine/gather if we're willing to take the extra time to do so. 

I can't really speculate much considering how little we were actually shown though. I'm wondering if I should bother farming ground missions in anticipation of chewing through ammo.