Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Maiming strike is obsolete

R.E.B_99

Maiming strike became completely obsolete thanks to the crit mods buff , even true steel is better because even though it has 30% lower CC it doesnt lock you into sliding . Maybe doubling the crit on it or since bloodrush now only scales with unmodded CC reverting the changes to it would make it usable again .

• Like 1

That does not mean a mod should be useless. You can slot in, yes, but does it provide benefit? Probably no.

I still wonder how on earth do DE missed on some of the worst mods in the game... I'm looking at you, Melee Prowess.

Aaanyways... Different mods Should offer paths to different Playstyles, which does not mean you have to garbage any previously OP mods, just because it was abused. People used it for a reason, and while i agree it was abused as well, some people grew fond of this playstyle, therefore they may want to keep it.

i will deliberately not mention the investments regarding this topic...

• Like 2

I'm ok with killing memeing strike as it was in melee 2.0. But whip stances really need some love.

What I would do to memeing strike ? make it a mod that change slide attack into "heavy slide attack" : increased damage at the cost of combo multipliers, and with a scaling that doesn't just promote a x2 multiplier spam.

9 hours ago, R.E.B_99 said:

since bloodrush now only scales with unmodded CC reverting the changes to it would make it usable again .

YEP!
The source of Maiming Strike's overpoweredness has always been the fact that Blood Rush multiplied it. With that calculation obliterated (at last), Maiming Strike in its pre-nerf state would've been perfectly viable without being overpowered.

DE has repeatedly said that they don't like MS because it promotes a boring playstyle... but surely they could've just fixed the "boringness" of the playstyle instead of effectively deleting the mod? For example,

• BEFORE:
    Maiming Strike adds a flat +90% CC (additive) to slide attacks.
  • AFTER:
    Maiming Strike adds a flat +90% CC (additive) to slide attacks, air attacks, slam attacks, wall attacks, and heavy attacks. (Basically, anything other than conventional combos.)

It was fine before as far as I'm concerned since literally no one is hurt by someone using an "OP" build, and if it's "boring" that only hurts the person using it.

That being said, melee has been buffed enough that I don't miss it, but I 100% agree it should not be useless.  It's main problem before really was that it and every other crit mod scaled with BR.  That doesn't happen anymore.  A flat 90% added to one attack type without the ability to be modified by other sources of crit would have been fine.  The mod honestly still would have been mostly useless, only really seeing use when you could get a weapon over 100% crit with other mods, then stack MS on top for a guaranteed orange crit slide attack.  Oh no, that's so much worse than all the guaranteed red crits we have on weapons with stacked attack speed so that you can't even see the fancy new animations.  Right.  Go stack crit mods and attack speed on a heavy blade with Cleaving Whirlwind.  Oh look, spin to win is still here, now dev approved, until they get tired of it too.

New melee is good.  Much better than I thought it would be.  Good enough that it makes it look like guns all need a buff.  Suspiciously good, considering the stealth affinity nerf they won't talk about and the fact that stealth affinity is the best done with spin to win.  Old spin to win would honestly be mostly obsolete thanks to how good melee is now without it, but it would be still the meta for stealth affinity farming, which has been silently obliterated.

• Like 1

I really hope they make slide crit still usefull.

I still use slite attacks alot of the time because they are a good gap closer and i tried the mod for awhile but found it made the weapon feel "mandatory" to only slide crit witch feels limiting.

If they made it a base increase crit chance increase with heavy attacks and all the movement attacks (the leap swing the slam into ground thingy and slide attack) that would be a cool niche where you could use it to boost any low crit chance weapon or if you simply enjoyed using the fast moving attacks cause standing still is boring.

Edited by Laston
  • Like 1