Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave: A side-activity, not a main gamemode.

DCaedus

Nightwave is in general a good thing, but it has a bunch of flaws imo, some of which I will try to address.

I've been doing Nightwave since it first came out, and already have all of the rewards that it drops.

Now that we're in the middle of the second intermission it feels more like a chore. 

The main reason I am doing the intermission is for the Umbra Forma. However, since I already have most of the rewards it feels like a chore to do all of these challenges in such a long period of time for one Umbra Forma, which is going to give me about +20% Ability Strenght and EHP on one frame, and maybe limit the variety of builds I can put on it, since only 3 mods have the umbra polarity, and mayb I only want it for one particular build.

About the other rewards, Endo is nice, but it's too little for so much work. Same for Ducats.

Kuva, potatoes, forma and slots are nice.

The Affinity booster is nice, but it starts running as soon as you open the NW menu, which is not as nice, imo.

The Arcane Energize and Aura forma are nice obviously, but I do Eidolons for fun and already have more than I need, and Aura forma doesn't have many uses let's get real, I still have 2 I haven't used from the previous Nightwaves.

The Saturn Six Syandana and armor... It's kind of mediocre tbh, I'm not a fan of those, so I'm not particularly excited.

Nightwave acts take some effort and a lot of time to complete, and that is kind of fine for now, since there isn't much endgame content to do currently other than Eidolons, Arbitrations and Kuva Liches, and if you don't like those, you probably stopped playing Warframe by now.

I understand Nightwave is inspired by the Season Pass in Destiny 2, but in D2 the Season Pass is ranked up by gaining XP, so no matter what you do, you will be ranking it up. It is a side thing to do, not an activity on itself, and you can rank it up even faster by doing bounties, which are rewarding on it's own, and yet again, are also a side activity.

That is my thoughts on how Nightwave is currently. it should be a side activity that ranks itself up as you do other stuff, not a main activity that you exclusively dedicate time and effort to. As such, the challenges should be simple, easy to complete, and ambiguous, allowing us to rank up NW by doing anything, not by dedicating ourselves exclusively to it. Maybe allow us to rank it up by gaining XP, like the Season Pass in D2, like Focus. And allow us to rank it up even faster by doing easy, simple or ambiguous challenges, that can be done in most activities, not in a particular one.

Because after a while it feels like a bunch of chores that we have to do only because we want that reward, which is questionable if it's worth all the trouble for.

About the challenges, some of my personal favorites are:

Spoiler

Dailies: 150 bullet jumps, Play 1 Emote, Deploy a Glyph, Hack 8 Consoles, Kill 40 Enemies with Headshots, Kill 150 Enemies with Abilities, Kill 150 Enemies with a Melee Weapon, Bullet Jump 150 times.

Weekly: Complete 6 different Perfect Animal Captures, Complete 3 Kuva Siphon Missions, Kill 500 Enemies, Complete 3 Rescue missions (specter reward), Kill a Tusk Thumper in the Plains of Eidolon, Unlock 3 Relics.

Elite: Kill or Capture an Eidolon Hydrolyst (Ik many ppl dont like this, but it's fun and easy for me and many other ppl), Kill Profit-Taker, Kill 1,500 Enemies, Complete 3 Sorties, Unlock 10 Relics, Kill a Tusk Thumper Doma in the Plains of Eidolon.

Win 3 wagers in a row without letting the enemy score in one match of The Index should be changed to Win 2-3 High Risk wagers in a row in one match of The Index.

30 min survivals should be cut down to 20 min.

Complete 5 different bounties should allow us to repeat the same bounty as much as we want. That way we can farm for a certain reward or do the easiest or whatever bounty we prefer. Keeping track of which bounties we've done for this challenge and which we haven't is a nuisance.

My final point: I am MR27 with over 3k hours in-game, if I find NW annoying at times, new players who just started the game are going to find it VERY difficult, which is the kind of players who need to do NW the most, in order to obtain Aura mods and potatoes. And I know for a fact it's next to impossible for very new players to complete NW, as I've seen and heard many fail and say it is too difficult for them, it will just frustrate them.

Also for this reason I would like the Alerts system to be brought back to life. I get why many people didn't like the alerts system, it had some big flaws, but it was very convenient to get important and rare resources and mods easily in a respectable amount like neurodes, plastids, polymer bundles, argon crystals, void traces, kavat gen codes, aura mods, etc.

As for the flaws of it, it's very simple, just make alerts last for 4-6 hours, that will make the alerts system x10 better, the Alerts system and Nightwave can coexist, imo.

Edited by D_Caedus
  • Like 1

I think it's very close to being a great system and I heard they have some new ideas for season three.

While vets might not get as much out of nightwave as they'd like I can confirm that players like my MR6 nephew get huge benefits. 

Nitain alone was awful for new players to farm but is now extremely accessible. Plus the easy access to some of the best aura mods is also nice.

Edited by zakaryx
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Awazx said:

Nightwave will only be close to being a great system the day it disappears.

I'd rather have guarenteed loot instead of finding out I slept through the once a month alert for xyz.

But that's just my opinion. 

Main issue is trying to find a reasonable way for newer players to get rewards for past seasons, intermission ii tried this, but Is not a good way as many have prob said when it first came out.  Adding it to the nw store or gotl alerts and some may complain that it is unfair for those who have gone through the grind when the season exclusives first came out...

There must be another way for past season rewards to be obtainable without the issue of dupes or being unfair for those who have gone through the grind. 

Do agree with op there should be a form of xp system that you can rank up with by just playing the game,like completing missions giving said xp. 

12 hours ago, zakaryx said:

I think it's very close to being a great system and I heard they have some new ideas for season three.

While vets might not get as much out of nightwave as they'd like I can confirm that players like my MR6 nephew get huge benefits. 

Nitain alone was awful for new players to farm but is now extremely accessible. Plus the easy access to some of the best aura mods is also nice.

12 hours ago, zakaryx said:

I'd rather have guarenteed loot instead of finding out I slept through the once a month alert for xyz.

But that's just my opinion. 

Indeed it works, and being able to work up your way to the reward you need is much better than Alerts alone, however NW creds are limited, if they brought back Alerts and made them longer in addition to having NW there would be more ways of getting those rewards that we, and specially new players need.

I think the current NW is a fair amount of grind to get the Umbra Forma. Not too much and not too little. It's not as if I gotta-have-it-as-soon-as-it-becomes-possible-to-obtain-it.

Also, putting an Umbra slot into ANY frame feels like a great privilege to me. ... And an exploit. That Excalibur variant lost its uniqueness as soon as we found out that NW is a repeatable thing. Poor thing.

Now Umbra Saryn is a thing.

2 hours ago, Uthael said:

Another thing:
Most of my playtime is on weekends. Even if Alerts lasted for a full day, I'd people would be missing out.

NO to alerts.

20 hours ago, D_Caedus said:

Alerts system and Nightwave can coexist, imo.

6 hours ago, D_Caedus said:

if they brought back Alerts and made them longer in addition to having NW there would be more ways of getting those rewards

2 hours ago, Uthael said:

putting an Umbra slot into ANY frame feels like a great privilege to me.

Not sure if a +20% Power Str and EHP buff on one warframe for about a month of farm is privileged, but to each their own.

Edited by D_Caedus