Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help on volt build (based on fourth ability)

Soleyman1

Question

9 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Soleyman1 said:

Hello so, apart from a lot of range, what's better? strength or duration?

Duration is pretty important to get longer-lasting CC and "tesla coil" effects (and thus also more damage).

2 minutes ago, Soleyman1 said:

also, is 190% range enough? or should I get 280%?

I'd say 235% (Stretch + Overextended) is the minimum for a Discharge build.

BTW, get Capacitance in there in case that's not already planned, nifty Squad support / survival addition.

Check this out, it's the build I run for all content - but it really shines in places like ESO.

http://warframe-builder.com/s/3638996196974d40

I used Prime Vigor instead of Vitality because it's only like 4 EHP less and shields are better for Capacitance builds. 

You could put on Umbral Vitality and boost Umbral Intensify and your EHP - but imo this is overkill because with Volt's 4 is actually better not to nuke everything, you want the enemies to stay alive for a few seconds to chain their effect.  

Edited by (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z

3 hours ago, (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z said:

shields are better for Capacitance builds

How so? Overshield amount doesn't scale off your base / modded Shields, it's a flat 1200 max.

In most situations where Capacitance's Overshields suffice to protect you, a little extra regular Shields won't really make a difference.

However, more Health can be vital (hah) when facing Toxin damage or Slash procs.

3 hours ago, (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z said:

You could put on Umbral Vitality and boost Umbral Intensify and your EHP - but imo this is overkill because with Volt's 4
is actually better not to nuke everything, you want the enemies to stay alive for a few seconds to chain their effect.

If you don't want "too much" Strength, you could use Umbral Vit & Int (I have both at R9 to fit them more easily into builds)
and then use Augur Secrets in place of Transient Fortitude to gain some more Duration.

18 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

How so? Overshield amount doesn't scale off your base / modded Shields, it's a flat 1200 max.

In most situations where Capacitance's Overshields suffice to protect you, a little extra regular Shields won't really make a difference.

However, more Health can be vital (hah) when facing Toxin damage or Slash procs.

If you don't want "too much" Strength, you could use Umbral Vit & Int (I have both at R9 to fit them more easily into builds)
and then use Augur Secrets in place of Transient Fortitude to gain some more Duration.

I understand it doesn't scale on shield amount, but the extra shield is more padding that can and will self-heal.  It does make a big difference, or I would have never made the change.  When your Capacitance is up, your regular shields have time to self heal.  With the overshield I have something like 1900 between both shields, which basically prevents me from every taking health damage.  

You are right Vitality protects more against procs, no denying that - but generally if you're mobile and your goal is mitigating normal damage, shields are better  Your health isn't going to self heal, so better protect it more anyway.  Again the different is only something like 4EHP on Vitality, so it's not like you're getting significantly weaker.  It depends on what you feel is more important to protect against.  Personally I face more direct damage than I do procs.

Secondly if you get rid of Transient Fortitude, good luck in ESO and other high end content because you will be even less useful because then what's the point of chaining besides CC, your damage will be become pitiful?  Atleast in my build the chain passes off a fair amount of damage.  There has to be a good balance.  If you just go balls deep in the duration then it's not that great.  My build offers more than enough duration for ample chaining, you don't need more duration than that - don't need less damage than that either.  It finds that sweet spot of being able to both kill and chain.    

My build has high damage still, crazy range - and the perfect duration for locking down the map and chaning it around.  Tweaking any of the stats in any other way would throw off the balance it achieves.  

All I know is this build is perfect for me.  Play how you want, of course.  

This build I originally made for ESO, it just happens to work well everywhere else. 

8 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

That's not how Overshields work though, you can't have any while your regular Shields aren't completely full.

You realize Capacitance heals regular shields first, right?  Maybe I didn't word it right... but yeah... Basically you will never run out of shields with this build.  If you dump less into shields, that's your choice, but when your overshield ever goes down, your regular shield will get shredded as well.  I meant to say "when your capacitance is up your shields have time to heal."  So that is my bad for how I wrote it.  

I used to run vitality first - I took health damage all the time.  I switched to Primed Vigor, never take health damage anymore.  

There are no clear answers to your question, as the range you need is dependent and the mission, the map, what weapons you use and you playstyle.

If you want to kill enemies at range, a wimpy build with "maxed" Strength and Range is the thing (and "maxed" means potentially adding Strength things like Growing Power and Energy Conversion). But this will not work that well against higher level enemies.

If you want to stun-lock enemies (so that you can kill them with melee/guns), then middling-to-long Range but maxed Duration is the thing, as well as Efficiency (so you can keep everything stun-locked without running out of energy), but Damage doesn't matter (at all).

If you are farming lower level enemies and want to clear a map, again it is Strength and Range. But if you run the same mission/map against higher level enemies, you might want CC (Duration) instead, since you have to kill them with something else anyway, and that makes it easier for you and you squadmates. But then if you use to much Range, the enemies will be CC:ed all over the map, instead of "within killing range". And so on...

Speaking of squadmates, some Volt-builds syncs great with some abilities and/or missions while other builds are more of a hindrance for the squad.

In my view Volt is one of those frames that do not have an optimal "set-and-forget" build, but rather has to be tweaked and re-optimized before specific missions (except the easy ones, of course). Volt is one of the great warframes of the game though, so it is definitely worth the trouble. Both to learn how to play him and "fixing" him before missions. And if you plan on using his ult, also think about using the augment (Capacitance) in your builds (as has been pointed out, it is quite good).

Edited by Graavarg