The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feedback on Tennobaum 2019

OvisCaedo

...That's it? No event or leaderboards or community stretch goals or whatnot like usual? Dev resources must really be strapped from the railjack focus.

Well, charity's charity, so I hope it goes well.

edit: Just to clarify, because this is incredibly weird to me, I didn't actually make this as a topic. This WAS just a post in the announcement thread. I guess a mod decided they wanted to move all feedback to a separate topic???

Edited by OvisCaedo
  • Like 7

Honestly... is this it?

This is not only the least you've promised to charity, it's the biggest profit margin for you, with the least for the player as well.

For every $2+ dollars spent by players in your game, you will give $0.25 to charity, capped at $50k.

So at 50k dollars, it's all pure profit for you.

I hope there's more to this.

• Like 2

As well as this being the least amount you've ever offered, despite massive profit growth, why is it we have to give you $400,000+ for you to donate $50,000?

It's the equivalent of me saying I'll donate $12.50 to charity if you give me $100.

It's great some money is going to charity, but you could donate a tenth of a percent of your profit margin and give a mill or seven to charity.

Edited by DarkOvion
  • Like 2

So how much do you guys get to keep this year last year it was 20,000$ another question why is it all Canadian baised conveniently plenty of hungry,sick kids around the world so why not make it a universal donation not a direct benefit to just Canada cuz lets be real here only 5 to 10 % will reach those who actually NEED the funds the rest is pocketed by greedy people who use others mis fortune as a means to make money 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, (PS4)TEAISHENNON said:

So how much do you guys get to keep this year last year it was 20,000$ another question why is it all Canadian baised conveniently plenty of hungry,sick kids around the world so why not make it a universal donation not a direct benefit to just Canada cuz lets be real here only 5 to 10 % will reach those who actually NEED the funds the rest is pocketed by greedy people who use others mis fortune as a means to make money 

Oh no, last year it was WAY more than 20k.

Considering the amount of gifts required to gift 120k, they likely pocketed an easy half mil to a mil.

Minimum take this year is going to be 8x what they donate, so pocketing 7x the donation. Minimum. So probably much the same as last year. Maybe more. But there's not the hype, there's not the goals, there's no the community aspect this time round.

Just... blatant 'pay us $400,000 or so, and we'll donate $50,000 to charity'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DarkOvion said:

Honestly... is this it?

This is not only the least you've promised to charity, it's the biggest profit margin for you, with the least for the player as well.

For every $2+ dollars spent by players in your game, you will give $0.25 to charity, capped at $50k.

So at 50k dollars, it's all pure profit for you.

I hope there's more to this.

To add to this:  Hypothetical Question::

IF no players donated any in-game items at all -- would DE NOT donate a "dime" (whatever Canadian equivalentequivalent) to the Food Bank ?

23 minutes ago, uberfu said:

To add to this:  Hypothetical Question::

IF no players donated any in-game items at all -- would DE NOT donate a "dime" (whatever Canadian equivalentequivalent) to the Food Bank ?

By the Tennobaum rules set down. Yes. We have to pay them, for them to donate roughly 1/8th of that to charity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DarkOvion said:

Oh no, last year it was WAY more than 20k.

Considering the amount of gifts required to gift 120k, they likely pocketed an easy half mil to a mil.

Minimum take this year is going to be 8x what they donate, so pocketing 7x the donation. Minimum. So probably much the same as last year. Maybe more. But there's not the hype, there's not the goals, there's no the community aspect this time round.

Just... blatant 'pay us $400,000 or so, and we'll donate $50,000 to charity'

Yep the math is so much worse then and there's not even a website like the two previous years. I was being selfish placing myself at the top of the leaderboards for gifting on like two days last year but I was still giving away lots of potato's or forma bundles to region chat. It was a double edged sword as people kept DM'ing everyone on the leaderboards asking for gifts, sometimes even for hunhow's bundle. 

But between this year and there being no community rewards for meeting goals. Nah. I could easily donate money and/or time to my local food banks. Though I'd rather just go donate blood or something. 

Edited by Fire2box
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, (PS4)TEAISHENNON said:

It's alot harder to move massive amounts of money between countries.... even less would go to people in need if they did that.

13 hours ago, [DE]Bear said:

Every year, our Tenno have helped better the lives of people during this season, and we expect that you will surprise us all over again with your generosity and giving spirit.

Compared to the last couple of years, this feels a little half-hearted. No Tennobaum website, no gift-o-meter, no Skinner-box mechanic, but a nice chunk of grofit at least. Donating directly would have a much, much greater impact, as pointed out earlier in this thread. You need better incentives than this. An appeal to charity only works so far, and the ones inclined to give most often already do. So you need to provide an incentive for players to give to a charity they would normally never give to, and where such a low percentage of the given amount actually reaches the cause. You need to make Tennobaum great again.

To put things in perspective, if you look at Charity Watch and Charity Navigator, normal initiatives usually provide 75-90% of the donated amount to their causes. Compared to the estimate DarkOvion provided, that would put DE at a very, very low rating, and the fact you're capping the donation is pretty damning as well. 

You need to do better.

• Like 5

What is the meaning of this? No Tennobaum website with leaderboards and progress bar? o.O How is the hype supposed to grow in order to gather more money for charity? I loved this event and spent hundreds on plat every year on it. But now I feel really disappointed by this lazy approach. I'll do my charity elsewhere. Sorry.

• Like 2

Am I getting this right? So there are no rewards (skins,decorations,weapons,etc...) for the community for reaching a donation goal like the previous years? It would be much better to directly donate to the charity, instead of that cash grab from DE if they are not donating everything from it.

5 minutes ago, RodrigoMoretto said:

Can anyone confirm if the value of the gift is considered in this? Wondering if it's better to donate multiple low priced items or if I can gift a friend with something cooler and make it count towards the donation goal.

The value isn't counted, just the act of gifting. The more expensive the gift, the more profit for DE and less donated to charity.

Edited by DarkOvion

Just now, DarkOvion said:

The value isn't counted, just the act of gifting. The more expensive the gift, the more profit for DE and less donated to charity.

Got it, thanks. That's a bit sad... I'll still gift my friend because I owe them, but I wish this would already help towards the goal.

Previous years some players collectively crap the bed because DE uses leaderboards and gifts to incentivize the event which apparently in these player's eyes is just a PR stunt.  

This year DE focuses purely on charity and people are surprised.  We have nobody to blame but the people in the forums who decided to make a big tantrum.  Just look at last year's Tennobaum thread to examples of such clowns.

They ruined Tennobaum for all of us.  

Edited by (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z

Just now, (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z said:

Previous years some players collectively crap the bed because DE uses leaderboards and gifts to incentive the event which apparently in these player's eyes is just a PR stunt.  

This year DE focuses purely on charity and people are surprised.  We have nobody to blame but the people in the forums who decided to make a big tantrum.  Just look at last years Tennobaum thread to examples of such clowns.

They ruined Tennobaum for all of us.  

They should at least have had a plat sale though. If I’m not mistaken more plat sales = more money = more charity. I would have gladly bought plat because I can’t at full price, therefore gifting more. 

5 minutes ago, MarrikBroom said:

No they didn't.

Yes they did, I can still pull up the threads of people crying to this to day.

Secondly I'm not saying the amount is great, far from it, in fact I didn't even mention that factor.  I'm saying the distinct lack of leaderboards and community gifts is a result of these people who were trying to smear DE and say it's a publicity stunt.  

Somebody even drudged up their own forum post talking about it just the other day!  Saying something didn't happen doesn't mean it didn't happen.  

Edited by (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z