Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

nova - "stop using your 4"

(XBOX)Aren Gesus

Question

Hi all, I'm a noob still trying to learn what's up.  I was just at Helene to rank up a weapon for mr and the others in the pug disbanded, at which point I noticed they were saying in the chat to stop using my 4 because I was using the wrong build for defense.  The log went away before I got a chance to ask what they meant, but they dropped because they were frustrated with me.  So, couple of questions:

1. I mean, it's helene, not an end game mission.  Is it really expected that you bring an optimal build and play a particular role?

2. Why would using my 4 as a nova ever be bad?  And why would that be different if I were using a proper defense build?  I really have no idea what they were suggesting I do different.

3. If it is expected that you bring a proper build and play a particular role... how is that supposed to work?  I put on a frame and go to the mission - I get placed with whomever is doing the same thing.  It's not like I can tell what builds everybody else is bringing, can I?  We could have all been on nova and all planning to play defense.  So then how did they know I was going to be playing defense (I wasn't, just happened to be on nova, grabbed a new primary and went to helene)?

4. Just a comment rather than a question - would be really nice if squad chat didn't disappear after disband.  It's not the first time I'd have liked the opportunity to go back to the chat so I can see who I was playing with to make a comment, ask a question, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Assume you were built to slow rather than speed up?

In case you aren't aware, negative power strength causes Nova's 4 to make enimies go faster.  Most people would want this to bring enimies to the group faster, making the mission go faster.

As for expectations etc, you're fine.  As you allude to, one cannot join a bunch of random people and expect an optimal squad.  Likewise, people can leave if they aren't happy due to lag or any other percieved issue.  That's public matchmaking.

Edited by GibsonPrime

I remember this feeling.

So, many players approach missions, with the intent to execute them ideally and efficiently.
Slowing down the rate at which enemies move makes it far easier to control the combat,
but is less efficient time wise. The overall loot per hour will decrease, and that is a problem for them.

Players are not encouraged to tell each other how to play.
In fact, the contrary, through mechanics specifically made to benefit the players who do not wish to leave mission parameters to chance.

Just as you're figuring out that there are playstyle conflicts inherent in some abilities,
they can do well to accept that there are no guarantees for how a mission goes in public,
and certainly no promise that everyone will be in a state of loadout or mind fit to benefit everyone's interests ideally.

We try to respect that they have good engineering minds that strive for the most excellent excellence,
and through that, with hope, they respect that playing a game in your downtime does not need to be rigorous or ideal.

Nova's 4 is to slow enemies by default. In farming nodes like helene, hydron, people want to farm fast, so if you slow the enemies down, people will be pissed.

If your Nova has negative strength, then your 4 will make enemies move faster, which is more preferred in those nodes.

You were most probably using Slova build.. if you use a Slova build u make the mission go really slow and it takes alot longer to get the XP, which is why you were there in the first place, to rank up weapons.  Its not about bringing an optimal build its all about getting through the enemies fast so u can level things up faster.  Slova is a build all noobs use at first because the enemies are slowed down.. once you've experience speedva you'll understand why slightly more experienced players dislike slowing the enemies down which results in the mission taking way to long.  I recently ran into a Hydron mission where there were MR9,10 and 11 using slova, a low damage equinnox and gara.. 5 waves took about 14 minutes.. its the longest XP run ever.  But I just cruised along as they obviously like to rank up their stuff really slowly.. but i left at wave 5 and they bagged me out for leaving, kind of funny really 🙂

Edited by -AncientWarrior-

Just now, kyori said:

people will be pissed.

Some people.

This Nova wasn't. I don't get pissed with people's loadouts unless I rehearsed everyone's roles before hand.
There is no way to demand the casual up their game, as there is no demand that try-harding must be tried less hard.
Each player is in control of what they do. It's up to them to what degree they are comfortable benefiting the unique and varied personal experience of others, on their terms.

• Like 2

Thanks everybody - this makes total sense and it never occurred to me that they would be farming and that making things slow is bad for that.  I guess I was built for slow, though it wasn't my intent - just put my best mods on (which aren't "best" in any way yet, but does include intensify) and jumped in.  I wish they had simply said to stop slowing everything down rather than stop using 4 because I didn't connect the dots.  But now I know, so thank you!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, (XB1)Aren Gesus said:

I guess I was built for slow, though it wasn't my intent

Pretty easy for this to happen, since you can't access this function without Power Donation or Overextended.
This is why public is a mixed bag. There are SO many possible permutations for things that could misfire in some way,
that expecting people's playstyles to be in line with one's own goals succinctly is setting one's self up to fail.

It's not unreasonable that folks would anticipate cooperation toward the common good, or common best.
Though, in doing so, that has be to be greatly tempered with an understanding of how much exploration,
aesthetic, and goofing off is every bit as important in their own right.

If anyone gets to call the shots for how they see the game to go,
I Demand 2 people dancing, shawzin playing, and casting fireworks the Whole time, or get out.
*Absolutely not serious, btw. Exaggerating for effect.
That's better to me than loot. ...and maybe slow motion headshots are better than loot to the slowva.
Never know.

Some players are short  or terse about how they ask because they're under fire,
but a lot of them are pretty chill and understanding, too.. just expressing that they're having a hard time
under the condition change, with little time to express it nicely.
That's also respectable, and often times doesn't ever come close to resembling
the pi$$ing match that lurks in the shadows of all multiplayer experiences.

If folks start to berate you, then they've gone and tilted, and you may need to review your casting/building practices,
or take the build into an invite/friends/recruited match if it makes the combat dynamic too specific for others to address comfortably.

Edited by kapn655321

2 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

Pretty easy for this to happen, since you can't access this function without Power Donation or Overextended.
This is why public is a mixed bag. There are SO many possible permutations for things that could misfire in some way,
that expecting people's playstyles to be in line with one's own goals succinctly is setting one's self up to fail.

It's not unreasonable that folks would anticipate cooperation toward the common good, or common best.
Though, in doing so, that has be to be greatly tempered with an understanding of how much exploration,
aesthetic, and goofing off is every bit as important in their own right.

If anyone gets to call the shots for how they see the game to go,
I Demand 2 people dancing, shawzin playing, and casting fireworks the Whole time, or get out.
That's better to loot than me. ...and maybe slow motion headshots are better than loot to the slowva.
Never know.

Some players are short  or terse about how they ask because they're under fire,
but a lot of them are pretty chill and understanding, too.. just expressing that they're having a hard time
under the condition change, with little time to express it nicely.
That's also respectable, and often times doesn't ever come close to resembling
the pi$$ing match that lurks in the shadows of all multiplayer experiences.

If folks start to berate you, then they've gone and tilted, and you may need to review your casting/building practices,
or take the build into an invite/friends/recruited match if it makes the combat dynamic too specific for others to address comfortably.

They weren't really berating me - I think it's like you said, they were just being short in chat, which is understandable because you have to go into the pause menu to use it.  For this it seems like it's really just a matter of etiquette, but I was clueless on what that meant so they just decided to bail and find another group.  I don't blame them - they had stayed for an extra wave but I wasn't responding because I didn't notice the chat.

Just now, (XB1)Aren Gesus said:

They weren't really berating me

Oh, no! 😃

I meant like, when these conflicts arise in game.
Speaking to the general experience.
Someone telling someone else what to do occurs.
Sometimes it's totally cool.. that sorta thing.

All good.

The other posts here have been very helpful, too!
Thanks all to everyone else.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, (XB1)Aren Gesus said:

Thanks everybody - this makes total sense and it never occurred to me that they would be farming and that making things slow is bad for that.  

It's not bad. Run your Nova however you see fit. 

Safer is better. Granted, that's a low bar, but I'm not switching to a suboptimal FotM build to satisfy the hyperactive. They'll get over it. 

1 minute ago, Sloan441 said:

Safer is better. Granted, that's a low bar, but I'm not switching to a suboptimal FotM build to satisfy the hyperactive. They'll get over it. 

Well, yes I'm comfortable running whatever, but I was actually there to rank up a weapon myself, so now I see that I was slowing my own efforts down too.  I know some people are going to be impatient on occasion, but I can empathize.  I have dps frames too, or other defensive frames that wouldn't slow everything down, so don't have an issue with switching, it was just a confusing interaction that I'm better off for understanding.  I really don't think they were being an ass, they just wanted in and out more quickly, which I can relate to.  On another mission, where I'm outclassed and struggling to stay alive... they can wait it out with me or bail.  But in this case I didn't have a particular need or want to run nova, just hadn't thought about it one way or another.

• Like 1

Nova is a great team member for some missions, because of her ability to either speed up the enemies, or slow them down. In most defenses like Helene or Hydron, your team will want you to speed things up. In areas like the Index, and especially Interceptions, slow is the way to go. You will learn as you go. Me personally I try to have patients with new players, as there is no way they would know these things without trial and error, or being guided by a more experienced player.

New Limbo, Nova and a few other players can be hard for Vets to play with, but I think we need to remember that we didn't come into the game knowing everything we know now, and a few words on guidance will get much better results then being salty. I always try for talk before getting ticked off. At the very least if your not down for things like this to happen, then don't play the nodes where new players are likely to gather to learn to play their frames.

This is my Nova setup works well for my play style, I installed an Aura Forma so I can run the two different Aura mods i use, you may not have a lot of these mods I can't see XB1 profiles to check yours.

This one will speed them up so they run fast.

Nova Prime (Speed -30% Range 102.5)

This one will slow them down to a crawl.

Nova Prime (Slow 75% Range 51.5)

edit: Forgot to mention I do a bullet jump straight up then hit the 4th skill to spread it, it seems to really help.

I don't own any consoles so I'm guessing here.

You might be able to see who you played with last, hit whatever key you use to ESC to menu, click on Communication, click on Friends, click on View Recent Players, in there you will see the names you have played with click on the one you want to talk to and go from there.

Edited by Slayer-.
added edit line. Also fixed web links
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, (XB1)Aren Gesus said:

I have dps frames too, or other defensive frames that wouldn't slow everything down, so don't have an issue with switching,

For levelling a weapon, I recommend other defensive frames (e.g. frost) or a buff (e.g. Rhino roar).  Taking a nuke frame can hurt you because of how affinity is distributed to your gear:
1. You kill with your Warframe - all affinity for kills go to your Warframe.

2. You kill with your weapon - 50% affinity goes to the weapon used, 50% to your warframe.

3. You're near squad member who kills - 25% goes to your Warframe, 75% gets split between your equipped weapons.

So, I normally run a buffer, the weapon I want to level and another levelled weapon.  That way, I can help the squad with damage buff, use my unlevelled weapon so it gets XP and if things get spicy, use my levelled weapon.  Squad mate kills award 37.5% of the affinity to the weapon I want to level.

Edited by GibsonPrime
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

At least for me, I would always try my best to build something that synergy to the squad's goal ( and most likely also my goal ), no matter the effectiveness.

Might as well just play solo if you think like that and jeopardise the other 3 public players' interest.

Edited by SHArK-FiN
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, SHArK-FiN said:

At least for me, I would always try my best to build something that synergy to the squad's goal ( and most likely also my goal ), no matter the effectiveness.

Might as well just play solo if you think like that and jeopardise the other 3 public players' interest.

This depends on your squad. Pre-mades are one thing. You can't count on anything in PuGs. 

Run what you like. 

slova slows missions that are already slow... most people bring speedva because they can handle the mission and want waves to run faster.
If you don't know what those things mean search youtube/wiki.
That said I personally never judge or hate or leave, I just say it once in the chat because I don't have a fast job at any defence/level mission. If I want to level a weapon I go to ESO, if I want to level a frame I just do random fissures, because I don't rush things to be able to do nothing later.

16 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

This is my Nova setup works well for my play style, I installed an Aura Forma so I can run the two different Aura mods i use, you may not have a lot of these mods I can't see XB1 profiles to check yours.

This one will speed them up so they run fast.

NOVA PRIME (SPEED -30% RANGE 102.5)

This one will slow them down to a crawl.

NOVA PRIME (SLOW 75% RANGE 51.5)

FYI these builds are not showing when I click the links.

9 hours ago, SHArK-FiN said:

I tend to agree with this, for the most part.  I'm a noob in warframe, but in other games I've reached veteran status and know it can occasionally be frustrating when you just want to get something done and can't get a quick group together to make it happen.  That doesn't necessarily mean they have a basis for complaint - you get what you get when you join a pickup group.  But still, I generally try to maintain that empathy for all parties when I join a public group and my preference is to always just be the best possible group member I can be, for everybody involved.

53 minutes ago, (XB1)Aren Gesus said:

In the end if you play long enough...you will know the feeling too. After the 500th hydron/helene you will want  the waves to get by as fast as possible, you will want to press one button and the wave to be over with(looking at you people who get angry at saryns "taking" their kills) and you will want the fastest way possible to get this sh1t over with because you have nightmares from leveling so many things so many times. The only thing different will be how you react in the chat , you just stumble upon some inpatient tenno. Good luck on your way and may the rng be with you.

54 minutes ago, (XB1)ELM0Damian said:

If you enjoy nova but dont want to deal with other peoples opinions on slow or speed nova. there is a neutral nova build that doesn't slow or speed boost enemies. but still gives you the damage buff witch is maybe not optimal but still good in all situations.

I'm not actually sure how much I'll use nova yet - I ranked her up and used her only sparingly since because I have a lot of frames to explore.  But a neutral build would still require negative power strength, right?  I haven't done any vault runs yet, but I think I need a corrupted mod for that, yes?