Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur Update Suggestion

(XBOX)Avant Solace

Excalibur has always been one of my favorite Warframes. He's a simple effective allrounder-frame with just a touch of berserker in him. Unfortunately his skills are starting lag behind as Warframe itself keeps evolving. Either he gets outclassed by more specialized Warframes, or enemies have developed some sort of resistance to him. Even with the introduction of Excalibur Umbra, he still falters in endgame content. That said, he's still in a decent position overall. All Excalibur really needs is a couple adjustments to get back up to full strength. So here are my suggestions for an update to his abilities:

• Slash Dash: Its an okay ability. What holds it back is the fact it lacks any sort of utility beyond dealing moderate damage and knocking enemies over. Yeah it makes you invincible for a second, but that's conditional at best. My suggestion: Give it the Rhino Charge/landslide treatment. Basically using it repeatedly will increase damage while reducing energy cost.
  • Radial Blind: A beautiful ability. Doesn't really need to be changed. The only issue I've noticed with it is a sort of "meat shield" dilemma, as I call it. Basically when enemy density gets really high the sheer amount of units in front of each other get cause Radial Blind to miss; blinding the closest enemies but not anyone hiding right behind them. It'd be nice if enemies couldn't use their buddies as sunglasses.
  • Radial Javelin: Really the first ability to fail. It doesn't do too much damage plus its stun effect is weaker than Radial Blind, on top of the fact it costs 75 energy to use. Suggestion: A complete redesign. Currently Excalibur lacks a genuine defensive ability; so, drawing from the myth of Excalibur's scabbard, I thought of something that would complement Excalibur's swordsmanship. Radial Scabbard. Somewhere between Harrow's Covenant and Rhino's Iron Skin; this skill temporarily makes Excalibur invulnerable, soaking up damage from enemy fire. After the timer ends Excalibur gains bonus armor and healing based on how much damage was received, with minimum and maximum caps. For balance, this skill cannot be recast until the buff ends.
  • Exalted Blade: This skill is mostly doing fine, its just acting kinda oddly since the new melee system came out. Its main problems are that it can't collect combo count from its energy waves (which contradicts its usage as a close-mid range weapon) and that it has no real use for a heavy attack (losing what little combo bonus it gains for one slightly beefier attack). Suggestion: Allow Exalted Blade's wave attacks to collect combo. Also grant Exalted Blade a new heavy attack: A large and violent frontal energy wave that gets longer and stronger the higher EB's combo counter is.

And those are my suggestions to bump Excalibur up to par. Thoughts?

Personally, i believe Excalibur is MOSTLY fine as he is right now, but Radial Javelin is hot garbage and does nothing.
It deals no damage (by that i mean it doesnt scale into mid-late game well) and doesn't even provide any tactical value, like debuffs or anything.
I believe it stuns enemies it hits, but why do that when radial blind essentially  does the same thing, for less energy and allows you to guarantee oneshot them with finishers?

IMHO, 1 should scale with melee mods, 3 should do too and also deal bonus damage to blinded enemies, while at it.
And maybe shred their armor or something, just to be sure.

• Like 1

now as im a avid Excalibur fan i want QOL changes

1. your 1st suggestion is a hard yes, it makes sense, even ember and valkyr have the mechanic so im for it 
  2. for blind if it tied with his other powers and granted a damage buff to say eb or dash damage would be nice 
  3. i like the idea your going with, but another thought is the Excalibur javelin shown in new trailer (supposedly a future augment ) were it does an AOE blast out from exca. what if we grant javelin a hold power and quick cast power variations? hold is normal power and perhaps  quick cast is the new aoe blast provides CC/knockdown and damage ? giphy.gif
  4. as for your 4 idea, i really wish its combo stances were better as its just reusing old method animation, a newer one that was better for its new mid/close range combat would be better to help scale combo , maybe give more status/crit?

1 hour ago, (XB1)alchemPyro said:

Slash Dash: Its an okay ability. What holds it back is the fact it lacks any sort of utility beyond dealing moderate damage and knocking enemies over. Yeah it makes you invincible for a second, but that's conditional at best. My suggestion: Give it the Rhino Charge/landslide treatment. Basically using it repeatedly will increase damage while reducing energy cost.

Yes absolutely. Also if we're going to give it the 'combo' system of sorts, ie repeated use does more, we should revert it to the old slash dash, that being just a straight up dash, although it would need to be a lot faster. 

Radial Blind: A beautiful ability. Doesn't really need to be changed. The only issue I've noticed with it is a sort of "meat shield" dilemma, as I call it. Basically when enemy density gets really high the sheer amount of units in front of each other get cause Radial Blind to miss; blinding the closest enemies but not anyone hiding right behind them. It'd be nice if enemies couldn't use their buddies as sunglasses.

Agree with you on that one

Radial Javelin: Really the first ability to fail. It doesn't do too much damage plus its stun effect is weaker than Radial Blind, on top of the fact it costs 75 energy to use. Suggestion: A complete redesign. Currently Excalibur lacks a genuine defensive ability; so, drawing from the myth of Excalibur's scabbard, I thought of something that would complement Excalibur's swordsmanship. Radial Scabbard. Somewhere between Harrow's Covenant and Rhino's Iron Skin; this skill temporarily makes Excalibur invulnerable, soaking up damage from enemy fire. After the timer ends Excalibur gains bonus armor and healing based on how much damage was received, with minimum and maximum caps. For balance, this skill cannot be recast until the buff ends.

YES. Abso-freaking-lutely. My only question is would excal be able to move during this. Because the thing about harrow and rhino's is that they have lingering affects after their cast time that adds to their buffs. And even wukong, whos defy seems to be the basis of this ability, is able to move during the cast

48 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

i like the idea your going with, but another thought is the Excalibur javelin shown in new trailer (supposedly a future augment ) were it does an AOE blast out from exca. what if we grant javelin a hold power and quick cast power variations? hold is normal power and perhaps  quick cast is the new aoe blast provides CC/knockdown and damage ?

Thing is imo, excal doesn't need an aoe nuke ability, we got enough of that during his reign over draco. If anything, we should move that aoe blast to Excal's heavy slam. 

Exalted Blade: This skill is mostly doing fine, its just acting kinda oddly since the new melee system came out. Its main problems are that it can't collect combo count from its energy waves (which contradicts its usage as a close-mid range weapon) and that it has no real use for a heavy attack (losing what little combo bonus it gains for one slightly beefier attack). Suggestion: Allow Exalted Blade's wave attacks to collect combo. Also grant Exalted Blade a new heavy attack: A large and violent frontal energy wave that gets longer and stronger the higher EB's combo counter is.

First thing's first is that EB needs a crit chance buff, atleast move it to 20%. Second, EB along with every other exalted should have their crit damage increase from 2.0x to 2.3x-2.5x. And third, a base damage buff across the board for all exalted weapons. 

I agree that waves should build combo but I would have it so the waves build combo slightly slower than hitting with the actual blade itself. I agree on the heavy attack being a massive wave, and as i stated above, heavy slam should be a massive ground aoe blast. Also i think an update to EB's stance would be really nice along with having all exalted stance's give 10 polarity.

3 minutes ago, AlphaRyuuxx said:

thing is imo, excal doesn't need an aoe nuke ability, we got enough of that during his reign over draco. If anything, we should move that aoe blast to Excal's heavy slam. 

well it could be a cc/knock down as his current one dosnt do anything for damage unless augmented, maybe even give a debuff onto enemies that way excal and allies can tear them apart easier? 

1 minute ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

well it could be a cc/knock down as his current one dosnt do anything for damage unless augmented, maybe even give a debuff onto enemies that way excal and allies can tear them apart easier? 

Well for CC we have blind. and for damage debuff blind already has stealth multiplier. I still think the best thing would be to make it a defensive tool as stated by the OP

Just now, AlphaRyuuxx said:

Well for CC we have blind. and for damage debuff blind already has stealth multiplier. I still think the best thing would be to make it a defensive tool as stated by the OP

problem is the new finisher system makes it now harder to use blind on mass stealth+ finisher damage like before , now its a press finisher when close and that increases the time it takes to kill, so perhaps a defense power could be nice i guess

• Radial Javelin: Really the first ability to fail. It doesn't do too much damage plus its stun effect is weaker than Radial Blind, on top of the fact it costs 75 energy to use. Suggestion: A complete redesign. Currently Excalibur lacks a genuine defensive ability; so, drawing from the myth of Excalibur's scabbard, I thought of something that would complement Excalibur's swordsmanship. Radial Scabbard. Somewhere between Harrow's Covenant and Rhino's Iron Skin; this skill temporarily makes Excalibur invulnerable, soaking up damage from enemy fire. After the timer ends Excalibur gains bonus armor and healing based on how much damage was received, with minimum and maximum caps. For balance, this skill cannot be recast until the buff ends.

i have wanted some sort of defensive power with him , but i think like op suggests it could be like harrows were it provided not just for excal but allies, looking at excalibur /caliburn/calidants lore or mythology and find ops idea fits the theme

Since Excalibur is defined by its power and strength it cannot be the same weapon which is broken in Arthur's encounter with Pellinore. Even so, according to Merlin, it is not Excalibur which is so extraordinary but its scabbard. Merlin asks Arthur, "Which pleases you better, the sword or the scabbard?" and Arthur answers, "The sword pleases me better." Merlin then rebukes him:Ye are the more unwise," said Merlin, "for the scabbard is worth ten of the sword. While ye have the scabbard upon you, ye shall never lose any blood, be ye ever so sorely wounded. Therefore always keep the scabbard with you

maybe make it  so javiln has it so when striking the damage dealt is absorbed as health or e health to excalibur and allies, basically overhealth as excalibur dosnt really need another invulnerable mode given dash has that already , perhaps then damage to overhealth causes some sort of buff like hp regen or damage scaling ? 

31 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

problem is the new finisher system makes it now harder to use blind on mass stealth+ finisher damage like before , now its a press finisher when close and that increases the time it takes to kill, so perhaps a defense power could be nice i guess

its still the same system. They just made it so the animation requires u to press the interact button rather than the melee button. It's just a button change, not a system change. EB waves +blind is still the same

37 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

have wanted some sort of defensive power with him , but i think like op suggests it could be like harrows were it provided not just for excal but allies, looking at excalibur /caliburn/calidants lore or mythology and find ops idea fits the theme

Yeah i think that'd be really nice to not only give excal a defensive tool but a team support tool too. Although i think it should like embers augment where its slightly reduced for allies.

37 minutes ago, AlphaRyuuxx said:

its still the same system. They just made it so the animation requires u to press the interact button rather than the melee button. It's just a button change, not a system change. EB waves +blind is still the same

Yeah i think that'd be really nice to not only give excal a defensive tool but a team support tool too. Although i think it should like embers augment where its slightly reduced for allies.

that is fair i think

1 hour ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

Moving the finisher command to X button is a big buff for Radial Blind. Now you can freely use all melee weapons to use normal attacks on the blinded enemies, with 6 times the damage (unless stealth damage has been changed).  People might not have noticed this big buff because the spinner damage was nerfed so much. To some extent the condition overload nerf.

Edited by Frendh

i like the general idea to replace radial Javelin with a defensive ability. Excallibur as a close-range warframe needs it. however, i think what is suggested seems too practical.

radial scabard should be focused on defense, as you have said. but it would be an ability with invulnerability, damage absorbtion, buffed armor based on the damage absorbed, and healing based on the damage absorbed, plus you cant cast it again until the buff ends. seems like it would be too OP without the cast restrictions, but place players in awkward situations if they cant cast the same ability again.

personally, i think the ability should focus entirely on status resistance and healing, which is even more accurate to the lore of the scabbard. its was hardly told that the scabbard could physically heal its bearer, but in most legends of king Arthur, the scabbard prevented its bearer from bleeding or succumbing to illnesses.

my suggestion is to make the ability a damage trade-off. casting the ability would cause Excalibur to enter a passive state, consuming energy over time. Excalibur would be healed over time and become resistant to status effects as well as removing any status effects. the ability would also increase melee parry angle by 30 and give Excalibur knockdown resistance. the trade-off is that if Excalibur casts another ability or attacks with any weapon, the ability will end.

27 minutes ago, MysticDragonMage said:

my suggestion is to make the ability a damage trade-off. casting the ability would cause Excalibur to enter a passive state, consuming energy over time. Excalibur would be healed over time and become resistant to status effects as well as removing any status effects. the ability would also increase melee parry angle by 30 and give Excalibur knockdown resistance. the trade-off is that if Excalibur casts another ability or attacks with any weapon, the ability will end.

That sounds like nyx's absorb but even worse..... that completely kills any momentum he has as a melee frame. Just make it work similar to wukong's defy. You absorb damage and possibly heal during the channel time, then you get an armor/dr buff.

Edited by AlphaRyuuxx

1 hour ago, MysticDragonMage said:

i like the general idea to replace radial Javelin with a defensive ability. Excallibur as a close-range warframe needs it. however, i think what is suggested seems too practical.

radial scabard should be focused on defense, as you have said. but it would be an ability with invulnerability, damage absorbtion, buffed armor based on the damage absorbed, and healing based on the damage absorbed, plus you cant cast it again until the buff ends. seems like it would be too OP without the cast restrictions, but place players in awkward situations if they cant cast the same ability again.

personally, i think the ability should focus entirely on status resistance and healing, which is even more accurate to the lore of the scabbard. its was hardly told that the scabbard could physically heal its bearer, but in most legends of king Arthur, the scabbard prevented its bearer from bleeding or succumbing to illnesses.

I get there needs to be a balance, but there also needs to be some synergy as well. Excal's whole deal is that he rushes in swords swinging. He's basically a multi-purpose berserker type.The trade-off should be along the lines of ensuring he can't be perpetually immortal like more dedicated tanks  such as Valkyr, Rhino, and Chroma. I personally thought giving it a cooldown was ideal as it requires players to actually pay attention to avoid sudden death. After all, King Arthur died after being reckless and having his scabbard stolen (and also being stabbed by his illegitimate son/nephew, but that's not relevant here). Also the invincible portion of the effect would have to be fairly short, like Rhino's Iron Skin absorption phase. On top of that, healing and armor can only go so far against level 100+ enemies.

11 hours ago, (NSW)Keryion said:

This sounds a bit op but maybe change Exalted Umbra Blade into a Nikana-type weapon so we can use Amalgam Daikyuu Target Acquired

We shouldn't be forced to use a certain weapon type just to get the defensive tool excal desperately needs and life steal can only go so far before a random bullet hits you out of nowhere. Just make his 3 work like wukong's, small channel phase where hes invincible and regens hp, restricts movement (either he can't move or is extremely slow), and gives him a DR/armor buff. 

Edited by AlphaRyuuxx