Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe running better on an external drive?

EDM774

Ok so I normally play warframe installed on my HDD on a different partition than the one the OS is on. Now since it's not an SSD I'm used to games being "a little" sluggish to load.
Today I decided to do a little experiment with the HDD I salvaged from an old laptop who's mobo died (RIP). I have said drive in an external enclosure with USB3.0 interface.
As anyone who is a little bit tech savvy knows even though USB 3.0 is fast it's slower than SATA speeds which is what HDDs run on. So now we come to the fun part, I boot up warframe running off that external drive and load into both open worlds cuz they have a lot of assets to load and usually are what gives me the biggest load times normally. And what happened? Both open worlds loaded noticeably faster (normally after I load in I experience some stuttering while the game finishes loading stuff into the RAM which I know is slow cuz it's only running a single channel 8 gig stick) but with the external drive the stuttering was barely noticeable to the point where I wondered why wasn't my game hanging  for the usual 2-3 seconds after loading in.

Now I know what you might be thinking: "your internal drive is dying you should get it checked" but that's not the problem, see this external drive came out of a system which also had a similar setup and while it was running Windows natively had the exact same loading time issues. This leads me to believe it's some sort of Windows problem and not a HDD issue.

Now down the road I plan to get an SSD and a second stick of ram to alleviate all these issues but for the time being I find it weird than an external drive running off a slower interface is delivering me a better gaming experience.

if anyone who is more knowledgeable can chime in on possible causes or maybe someone who's in a similar situation I'd love to read your comments and/or solutions. For me I guess I'll be playing Warframe from the external drive for the time being.

Sorry if this came out a bit long and congratulations for reading till the end.

It's unpredictably Window's fault. 

So, long story short I've had to reinstall Windows 10 17 times on this machine just to get my hardware working properly. Until the 14th time, I couldn't even play games fullscreen despite having the specs capable of running maxed 1080 at unreasonable FPS

There could be nothing wrong with your board, your HDD, your connections or anything, it could just have been something in the window's installation process that's putting unnecessary stress on the processes involved. Say, it's having trouble getting the authority to communicate with BIOS to get the sata to boot up. Or, it doesn't recognize active processes and is slowly trying to put the hard drive to sleep, yet there's an active process so the hard drive wakes up instantly again, creating lag from literally nothing. 

• Like 1

This is pretty normal behavior IMO. Partition or not, you were still running your OS, background tasks and Warframe off the same physical hardware previously so you're going to lose out a lot of processing capabilities. Even if the SATA cable is rated with a certain upper limit in comparison to a USB3.0, the primary capabilities is tied to the speed of the hard disk itself and having it split between multiple tasks is going to slow it down below what the connectors are physically capable of. Bottlenecking on the connectors is not very significant with HDDs where the read/write speeds aren't that fast so looking at the comparison between SATA and USB is the lesser of your concerns as compared to splitting the workload between multiple devices

The only thing to be cautious about when running external drives are when you are using ones that draw power exclusively from the USB connection. Those can hang up when under heavy loading for a period of time due to the limited output of the USB connection, causing the device to become undetectable and disconnect itself. I doubt you'll encounter this issue with a properly powered external HDD though.

• Like 1

Where to start I run mine on a separate hard drive but I do have it hooked up to the sata I also use Windows 7 instead of Windows 10 due to a lot less resources no defender running in the background . Also I have  automatic updates off and do it manually , don't need windows to be checking while I'm playing. I also run a straight version of Window s with out manufactory bloat .

• Like 1