Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reimagining Hydroid

Tsukuyomi_GR

1. A quick intro? (If you are bored to read it, which is perfectly understandable skip to two)

So after seven years of playing the game, I finally decided to write my first thread in the forums. The winds are in the favor of warframe kit reworks and with the deluxe skin on its way, it seems that there are many people who want one for Hydroid. I won’t say if it’s necessary or not, though I feel some improvements to him would be quite welcome and since he’s my main I would like to give it a try.

What I wished for when I started playing the game was for a water frame since I love water, a versatile element which in most cases in gaming is either overshadowed by ice in the offensive aspects or is mainly used for healing. Yet back then I couldn’t imagine that not only they would add a water frame later but that this game would keep going strong 7 years later. Hydroid was the reason for returning two times back to the game after big intervals, first time for the non-primed version with the atrocious beacon farm and second time for the prime version.

I liked Hydroid’s appearance and his kit despite if it was efficient or not. Each of the helmets gave a different aspect to the frame, something that has risen from the deep (main helmet), a captain (Triton), a sea beast (Ketos). Although I appreciated the pirate references and inspirations, in regards to his appearance, I wasn’t quite fond of their influence at certain skills, looking at you Tentacle Swarm. And while you could say I considered Tentacle Swarm something as a flaw in Hydroid, primarily they were masses of water in the shape of tentacles at least. Then came Hydroid Prime, one of the best primed frames when it comes to appearance for me but it made it a real flaw by bringing with him an octopus with actual tentacles.

If we consider elements in Warframe, Volt has a big electric discharge, Frost an avalanche, Ember had pillars of flame now meteors, Zephyr tornadoes, Atlas golems (ok earth… shaping stuff etc. though I would prefer a tectonic rift or something) and Hydroid has an overgrown mollusk flailing its tentacles?! A thought of mine is that it might serve as an attempt to avoid excessive water effects as they could be a demanding feature for both devs and players.

I understand that many players may love Tentacle Swarm as an ability either for the pirate/kraken vibes or because it might give Lovecraftian/eldritch vibes, but for my personal taste I would like something that brings more the water to spotlight instead of summoning an aquatic pet. For tentacles we could have an eldritch themed frame or a frame with shapeshifting abilities like tentacles, pincers etc., like the ones of Tamaki Amajiki from My Hero Academia or the mutations of chaos marauders from Warhammer fantasy.

2. The current abilities (if you are bored to read this as well, which is perfectly understandable skip to three)

These are my impressions on his current abilities, based on my experience (or not) as a Hydroid main. Of course I might be wrong on certain things as I am sure there are people who know and can do much better work with him out there.

Passive – “Deep Tendril”: I can’t say much, it’s there, sometimes it has some use other times it’s obsolete.

1 – “Tempest Barrage”: My favorite ability from his kit, the augment corroding barrage makes it even better. The main problem for me is the charge time, which is quite slow. On higher levels it’s almost like you are courting death.

2 – “Tidal Surge”: I like the idea of transforming into a wave, it’s enjoyable for traveling in straight corridors or open spaces. In certain situations it helps grouping enemies or pushing them towards your tentacles for example. In close spaces with obstacles it’s a little bit messy.

3 – “Undertow”: I also liked the idea of transforming into a body of water and pulling enemies into their imminent doom. It’s an excellent ability when it comes to utility. First of all with the augment Curative Undertow you can heal fast at your ease. But that’s not all! The most important is that you can idle safely. Want to go to toilet –> check, want to talk on the phone or messenger –> check, want to open inappropriate sites while your teammates bother to do the mission –> check. But this ability doesn’t stop here, want to pass through locked or bugged doors but you can’t? Undertow! Want to pass safely through lasers? Undertow! Want to do the Collaboration test on Lua but you don’t have friends? Undertow! As long as you have a lot of energy everything’s possible!
And yet when it comes to combat I believe this ability might be what ruins the whole kit…
On a side note, I would appreciate it, if my companions could be protected as well when submerged.

4 – “Tentacle Swarm”: We summon the flailing terror, it provides crowd control in an area and with Pilfering Swarm we get increased drop chance. Its positive points for me are that it has faster charge time than Tempest Barrage and sometimes it looks cool from a distance. Contrary to Strangledome of Khora or to Bastille of Vauban, it’s quite bothersome to kill enemies grabbed by the tentacles unless you use a weapon with large spread, this fact becomes more obvious in higher levels where you get one shot pretty fast while trying to shoot the moving targets.

General Thoughts: After the small rework that happened to him a few years back, I believe that Undertow became the core of his kit that’s why Tempest Barrage and Tentacle Swarm have charge time, because they are meant to be used mainly while in Undertow. The problem is that this kind of gameplay, first of all becomes quite boring after a while and secondly that it’s not quite energy efficient, since every action while in Undertow costs energy.

In high level content I usually end up relying mainly to my weapons, while using Curative Undertow to heal trying to delay the unavoidable. Charging Tempest Barrage or Tentacle Swarm while not being in Undertow, most of the time gets me killed and since Hydroid is not a damage dealer, the uncharged abilities are almost obsolete in diminishing the enemy numbers. You definitely need your teammates’ assistance for that purpose. In regards to healing, Curative Undertow is useful, though I think Vazarin’s Protective Dash is a much better choice, providing healing and invulnerability while being able to move and shoot. Furthermore, I think that Tentacle Swarm while in Undertow should be designated also.

3. A Hydroid rework

I tried to think a kit that changes certain things (aesthetically and practically) while remaining close to the principles of the current one and being realistically viable. For that purpose I tried to form concepts while taking into consideration the existent ones and what others players were proposing. Moreover I would like to add that as you will see through the presentation of the abilities, I will handle Hydroid as a frame that controls the water element rather than a pirate.

Passive – “Intangible”: Chance of (maybe 20%) for Hydroid to have enemy hits pass through him for the duration of (maybe 3 seconds). (In a thematic context this ability suits perfectly the element of water but at the same time it’s very easy to become something overpowered and I do not think I have the necessary knowledge to go further than that).

1 – “Tempest Barrage 2.0”: Tempest Barrage has no charge time, it deals immediately its max damage and duration. Moreover the effects of Corrosive Barrage are now integrated into the main ability. The shots are targeted towards the enemies and not at random.
Augment – “Maelstrom Barrage”: The first shot from the barrage creates a maelstrom in the designated area, enemies are slowly drawn towards the center of the maelstrom while being bombarded by the liquid barrage.

2 – “Tidal Surge 2.0”: I would like to keep it as it is while adding the option of being able to send a wave instead of traveling together with it, by holding the button. (Fast charging time).

Augment – “Tidal Impunity”: Keeping it as it is. With the added option of sending waves, instead of being one, it could help make it easier for those who want to play the role of a team buffer.

3 – “Rising Depths”: The core of this kit, replacing Undertow. Hydroid calls forth the deepest parts of his domain in the form of an aquatic sphere. Enemies inside the sphere suffer gradual damage from asphyxiation. Shots to enemies outside the sphere are pressurized and deal more damage, whereas incoming shots to the players inside the sphere deal decreased damage. (Timed ability)

Augment – “Greedy Abyss”: Enemies killed inside the sphere yield a chance to leave additional loot. (Same mechanics as Pilfering Swarm).

Synergy:
Tempest Barrage: Casting Tempest Barrage inside Rising Depths increases the damage from asphyxiation, if Maelstrom Barrage is equipped the enemies become slightly slowed. The effects are active for half the duration of the actual ability.
Tidal Surge: Casting Tidal Surge inside Rising Depths absorbs the aqua sphere and transforms it into a tidal wave, increasing its size and damage. Charge mechanic also works here. The effects of Tidal Impunity apply as well if equipped. (I think it is a useful mechanic for when things become hectic inside the sphere, utilizing it in order to give some room to you and your team).
Aqua Lance: Tidemaker gets increased attack speed inside the Rising Depths. Activating Aqua Lance inside Rising Depths makes lances extrude from the sphere piercing all nearby enemies and bringing them inside.

The idea behind Rising Depths is to create an ability which can work as a gathering point for the team during difficult situations, assisting in weakening the enemies, providing a moderate damage boost and damage reduction, while at the same time unifying the rest of the abilities of the kit.

4 – “Aqua Lance”: His final ability is comprised of two distinct parts.
First part: Hydroid summons his Tidemaker an exalted weapon (guess what, it’s a trident), against his enemies. Each melee hit from Tidemaker is accompanied by streams of water, which deal true damage and increase the range of the hits in the surrounding area. Meanwhile the melee hits also fill a Tide meter comprised of three stages. Each of the stages of the Tide Meter adds a percentage bonus to his ability power and range. (Constant energy cost)

Second part: It can be activated when at least the first stage of the Tide meter has been filled. By doing a slam attack it consumes all the available stages of the meter, calling from the ground aqua lances impaling the surrounding enemies. Depending on the number of stages consumed the damage, and the range of the Aqua Lance is increased. This action doesn’t cost energy as it consumes the bar. The lances deal true damage per second. Their duration could probably be lower than Tentacle Swarm with the notion that the meter can be filled again for more recasts.

Augment – “Sanguine Lance”: Impaled enemies provide a portion of health which is transferred to Hydroid and those teammates that are close to him.

Here is the point where you could call me a hypocrite, “You don’t like clichés like pirates, tentacles and krakens and yet you present us a trident, how original!” Joking aside I would like to avoid the trident – exalted weapon concept as much as I liked it as an idea but in the end I think that the rest of the kit covered everything that I wanted to do, leaving it as the only choice. Or maybe I didn’t want to avoid it, tada! 😅

With Aqua Lance I was thinking of providing a unique melee weapon which flows and strikes with the grace of water, working as a symbol of the control and dominance that Hydroid has over it. Furthermore, the revamped melee system would complement it enough in order to give Hydroid a definite offensive tool other than cc. Still the role of cc is dominant here as well, since the utility of the water augment is to spread damage to surrounding enemies with the water streams keeping them under control.

The second part of the ability sacrifices the acquired bonuses to his other abilities in order to provide more cc and a breathing  room when necessary, giving the chance to the player either to shoot the enemies while they are impaled or focus his attention elsewhere.  

Having said that I would really love to see a polearms’ stance more spear like with a mix of flowing, lunging and piercing strikes.

Spoiler

Is that a trident? Do we already know the design of Tidemaker? O_O
zz0p6dF.jpg

4. Conclusion

I hope that I did a decent attempt in trying to create something wholesome, while giving my opinion on certain matters regarding Hydroid. My vision was to create something with a lot of cc and utility, a useful asset for the team while providing a main offensive tool to fend off for himself. It’s quite possible that many of my propositions might be overpowered, lacking or difficult to implement in the game. I would appreciate it though to hear what you think about them, your impressions or your suggestions regarding improvements or changes. Thank you for your time!

Edited by Tsukuyomi_GR
  • Like 3

Hello stranger!

Mainly playing Hydroid, I appreciate the time and effort you spent coming up with the topic.

I also dislike the tentacles’ visuals for his prime. The translucent tentacles are so much cooler!!

You made some interesting suggestions, but I think they change how Hydroid works way too much. I see Hydroid as a CC caster frame, and that’s the reason I play him. So drastic changes in his gameplay are kinda of a no no to me

I’ll try giving you feedback for each of your suggestions

Passive: totally agree with your point. As it is, it is pretty situational. And while the passive change to ignore damage you suggested sounds nice, it is almost ineffective against high-level enemies. On higher levels, enemies can one-shot you, so depending on a 1/5 chance to avoid death is bad (at least I think so)

1st ability: also my favorite ability in his kit. I don’t really mind the charge mechanic. In fact, I think it balances the fact that multiple barrages can be cast. But I do think the charge time needs to be reduced. Don’t agree with the innate corrode effect. There’s already a 100% impact/knockdown effect. And while I can’t confirm it, I believe that the shots are not completely random, they track to some extent

2nd: Wouldn’t really mind the change

3rd and 4th: Here lie my problems with your suggestions. They completely change how Hydroid works. The 3rd would give him way too much support potential, offering CC, damage reduction and DPS potential. The 4th is purely a damage ability. From what we have in game, all exalted weapons increase DPS to some extent. Plus, you’re suggesting damage and range with each strike. And now we have a frame with CC (1st and 2nd abilities), support (3rd ability) and potential DPS (4th ability). I don’t think Hydroid should be a jack-of-all-trades. In fact, I don’t think any frame should, unless specifically designed as one.

Sorry if I was too blunt or rude at some point. It was not my intention

And thanks again for sharing your thoughts

• Like 2

Hydroid main here. Really like your suggestions.

I do like the changes you suggested for his 1. His 1 does not currently track at all, it is definitely random and there have been many times that enemies simply walk through the cast. I don't think the long charge time it currently has balances out the fact that multiple can be casts. Also, the tike between casting and activation should be shortened. I definitely agree with innate corrosion because at higher levels this ability is almost useless without the augment anyway. Augments should be an extra effect that you may want situationally. Not a requirement.

For his 2, I always wanted this ability to be a wave thrown out rather than him becoming wave. Your current idea of having both would satisfy those that currently like the ability and those like me that never touch this ability (it just doesn't appeal to me and I have yet to find a use for it with my play style) that want something more offensive/CC orientated.

His 3, interesting idea. It does work a bit better than his current 3 as it at least keeps him from being stationary in a game that is about movement. I actually do very much like undertow but it has so many drawbacks that I can see why everyone wants to get rid of it. It has great team synergy in that if teammates shoot into it, all enemies in take 50% of their primary damage. Problem is, even after I TELL my teammates this they don't do it. The scaling damage is great too. I always just wanted it to become an ability where he has normal walk and spring speed while in this form, can move around swallowing all enemies into the watery abyss, and his 2 just allows for even faster movement. This would all make the high energy cost of everything more worth it as you can easily drown a large group of enemies and keep from being stationary. Also, his tentacle swarm (if kept) if used from his 3 should instead grab all nearby enemies and draw them into undertow.

His 4. Interesting idea. An exalted weapon is always a boon for a frame to actually have a strong ability. I think your idea sounds a bit OP for a frame that's mainly supposed to be CC. Maybe a CC component could be integrated instead of more DPS. That or keep tentacle swarm but have it not whip enemies like crazy so you can't shoot them. Many posts have suggested that shooting the kraken head should be used to deal damage to all enemies grabbed. That would be great

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tsukuyomi_GR said:

Tidal Surge 2.0”: I would like to keep it as it is while adding the option of being able to send a wave instead of traveling together with it, by holding the button. (Fast charging time).

13 hours ago, (NSW)SantCruz said:

I always wanted this ability to be a wave thrown out rather than him becoming wave.

These are good ideas.
I've been working out some thoughts on his rebuild, and this is a good one.
Could certainly work that in.

Will post shortly with considerations towards your build in mind to see what you think.

• Like 1

I'll try to combine these ideas a bit to give you a better picture.
Passive- Tide Meter:

On 2019-12-08 at 11:26 PM, NuclearCoffeePot said:

Hydroid passively and through abilities generate "Tide" in his own meter. This Tide increases Hydroid's range the higher it is and can be consumed by his 2 as an energy source.

Tempest Barrage:
Tap to cast on target location.
Create a shower of rain that deals no damage, with no alarming cast sound.
Enemies effected have reduced detection of visibility/noise level by 40% aiding party stealth.
Enemy damage and movement speed are reduced by 20% while under it's effects.
Enemies killed under affect have a 15% chance to drop an energy orb.
For every 1m the enemy moves, they have a 30% chance to "slip and fall," to prone.
Hold cast to increase duration (like now) and add chance to jam enemy weapons between 8% to 20% fully charged
                                                         once every 3 seconds doused. (jam lasts 6 seconds)
All bonuses increase with str.
       One handed all upper body cast allowing for cast during reload and mobility.
       Effect active for 6 seconds after enemies leave rain.
       Successive casts within 3m of original cast stack towards the duration with diminishing returns.
                                                                                              (think perpetual vortex, or amesha benevolent decoy)

Tide meter - Enemies doused with this ability add x% towards tide meter.
                    Hold to cast to exhaust 30% of tide meter, increasing the radius of the tempest area.
                    While meter is high, chance to leave puddles behind with chance to inflict enemies w/ stagger and knockdown.

Tidal Surge:
Drags enemies the same as now, but moves like if Cloudwalker had gravity.
Hold cast to instead drink a portion of your tide meter as energy, sending waves cascading around you in 10m radius to knock down enemies.

Tide meter- The higher the tide, the more radius and movement speed.

Undertow:
Same, with Currative Undertow augment function improved.
30% health gained over 3 seconds, stacks every 2 seconds, up to 3 times
(row, row, row your boat stacks of healing pulse.)
This effect begins the moment an ally steps on the puddle.
Allies may shoot the surface of the water to split their damage across all enemies within.
Hold cast undertow to go to the location of any active Whirlpools (4th ability below)
Casting Tempest Barrage on target from undertow will increase puddle chance.

Tide meter- Higher means larger radius, and greater damage per ticks to enemies under water.

Rip Current:
Cast a Whirlpool as a proxy Undertow, instead of tentacles.
Shooting the surface of the water splits the damage across all enemies within.
Enemies auras do not cross out of the whirlpool.
Tide meter- Higher means larger radius, and greater damage per ticks to enemies.

HOLD TO TOGGLE PIRATE MODE.
Channeled state converting Hydroid into part watery form that alters All abilities.
Gains between 40%-65% chance to evade attacks (like Baruuk) depending Tide Meter.
PIRATE MODE Tempest barrage: Now rains Grape Shot bullets that fall in waves determined by a base bullets-per-square-meter
                                                        times power strength. No matter how high the range scales up the number of bullets will as well.
                                                        On initial cast Tempest barrage bullet's first wave will divide it's shells up between all enemies in
                                                        the initial cast radius and home in on them, further wave's will gradually spread out from that location with corrosive.
                                                        Higher tide meter increases multishot up to 100%
    PIRATE MODE Tidal Surge: ***Hold Cast to Summon quasi-exalted tentacles for arms.
                                                  capable of pulling enemies to prone at melee range, dealing Viral and Impact.
                                                  movement increase only engages when you Sprinting to allow mobility with tentacle form.
                                                  Tentacles will seek up to 3 of their own targets per sec from surrounding area,
                                                  gathering enemies tightly in a neat pile, instead of displacing/ragdoll-ing them.
                                                  Range of tentacles reach 60% of current range at low tide meter, 100% at max tide meter.
                                                  Effect will end upon running out of either Tide or energy. Not cancelled by Nullifier. Hold cast to end early.
 PIRATE MODE Undertow: Go underwater into, "THE DEEP," as a separate zone where enemies that have fallen in are "lifted" suspended in water.
                                             Your undertow puddle remains as a portal to this zone, as you are within attacking the enemies.
                                             (I do not know whether allies should come here.)
                                             Hold cast Undertow to teleport to the location of an active Whirlpool for 50% casting cost. (Whether above or below)
                                             If there is no active Whirlpool to teleport to, hold casting undertow vaccums enemies within THE DEEP to you, if not being held by Kraken.
PIRATE MODE Rip Current: Tentacles now rise from the whirlpools, snatching up enemies like now. 3 Per second, up to 7 enemies, more with higher str.
                                               Low tide meter, it will slap them around like now. High tide meter, it pulls them to THE DEEP.
                                               Enemies within the deep are held and crushed randomly by the Kraken, (who's full body is within the deep!) dealing Viral damage 
                                               with impact on crush.
                                                         Using Tempest Barrage while in THE DEEP commands the kraken to crush all enemies held. Hold for hard crush.
                                                                                               puddles form around outside of Whirlpool on surface.
                                                         Tidal Surge while in THE DEEP works like Ash's Teleport in function, 'bamf' swimming around to enemies in clutches of Kraken.

THE DEEP:
I imagine THE DEEP as a "Room" with enemies able to collide with a boundary like a shallow Erlenmeyer flask,
roughly 2x the size at it's base of your Undertow/Whirlpool.
Pushing enemies against it's boundary will force them to float closer to the surface, or be knocked out.
Whirlpool as the portal to THE DEEP will pull them back in, where as Undertow alone will not,
giving some selective control on who you boot out of the water before getting down to business..
also preventing enemies from floating endlessly away into the distance.

Like, an invisible boundary, surrounded by an underwater skybox.
Would be nice to display some of Steve's Godrays and scattering with the new lighting.
Kraken would take up about 1/3rd of that room, kind of clipped halfway into the "wall" with it's tentacles proffered forward,
clutching and coiled around enemies.. reaching out of the surface. and pulling enemies in.
It's height on the wall would rise with low tide, and fall with high tide, allowing it to either be drowning or whooping enemies around outside if it's too shallow.

• Like 1

@NSWSantCruz

Hey, I think we worked on some ideas in a previous thread.
If I'm not mistaken, my idea for Pirate Mode's 2, Tentacle Arm attack mode, was inspired through your suggestions. 😃
As well as the multishot on Pirate Mode grapeshot, as you wanted a far more hostile and aggro Hydroid.
This maintains both ideas, taking them to new places with the suggestions and concerns of others.

To OP, I wish I could get into your Idea for your 3, as it does have merit..
But I absolutely adore Undertow. Cannot imagine losing that ability. Hope you understand!

Edited by kapn655321

12 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

@NSWSantCruz

If I'm not mistaken, my idea for Pirate Mode's 2, Tentacle Arm attack mode, was inspired through your suggestions. 😃
As well as the multishot on Pirate Mode grapeshot, as you wanted a far more hostile and aggro Hydroid.
This maintains both ideas, taking them to new places with the suggestions and concerns of others.

But I absolutely adore Undertow. Cannot imagine losing that ability. Hope you understand!

Thanks for spreading the tide meter idea round 🙂 -glad it made enough impression to wind up in other threads

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NuclearCoffeePot said:

Thanks for spreading the tide meter idea round

You kidding me? I absolutely love that idea!

I know how much I care about having Hydroid be maintained to my ideals in any update.
That is bound to matter just as much to everyone else.
In as much as I can, I am both glad and honored to assimilate ideas in.

I only wish I started citing sources sooner!
Bits and pieces have been influenced from some threads.
I regret that I have not seen them all, or have always given credit where due.

8 hours ago, kapn655321 said:

@NSWSantCruz

Hey, we did before. I think someone else wanted a more aggressive one. I just wanted a less random one with tighter CC. That's why we disagreed with your initial first ability as I much prefer guaranteed knockdown over a chance at it. His current 1 and 4 already have the issue of not always hitting something since enemies can walk right between the attacks.

I still don't think randomness should be a feature of a CC frame especially. Banshee would make for a better stealth frame with the ability you suggested as her kit is all about being quiet and taking enemies out from the start.

My actual suggestions were to change 2 as I mentioned above or change it to a wave that extends in a circle around Hydroid. Tapping it makes the wave crash away from him knocking down all enemies around him and dealing some damage. Holding it brings enemies towards him which synergizes with his 3 to bring enemies into his undertow. 

I suppose in that way, Hydroid is more aggressive but more of an aggressive CC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (NSW)SantCruz said:

I just wanted a less random one with tighter CC.

I'm going to take that to heart and re-tool it.

Would you be opposed if there was random chance on passive puddles left behind?
Also worth noting through NuclearCoffeePot's suggestions, his 1 in pirate mode leaves nothing to chance, as the projectiles amount is not spread across the surface, but instead consistently throwing enough per sq m to cover targets.

Thank you for your reply and ideas.
Would it be alright to run ideas past you when I have them reworked?
If you're not happy with it, I'd have already missed the mark.

Edited by kapn655321

Tide Meter:
Passively and through abilities, Hydroid generates, "Tide," meter.
Abilities increase up to +20% in Range when full.
Meter is replenished for each enemy, "wet," (effected/hit) by Hydroid's abilities.
All enemies have up to a +20% chance to drop energy orbs while, "wet," depending Tide.
Wet enemies have up to +20% chance weapon malfunction every 6-3second, for 4-8 sec depending Tide.

Passive -
Enemies become, "Wet" from abilities.
Abilities and Ground Slam attacks leave pools of water, causing brief stagger/-friction, or knockdown once per sec.
Size (2-4m), Duration (3-6sec), and Maximum# (3-6) of pools depends on Tide.
Wet enemies also have a 5% chance of leaving a pool of water at their feet every 3 seconds.

Tempest Barrage:
Target area with pouring rain.
Improves stealth conditions while impairing enemy movement/response.
Reduce Enemy Damage and Movement Speed by 20%
Reduce sight and sound detection by 40%
Hold to cast- Improves duration and range.

Intensity of storms improves with higher tide. Up to 3-5 storms may be active.
Casting on itself stacks into duration up to 3 times (+40% to 90% remaining duration depending Tide.)

Tidal Surge:
Same Function, but now controls like "Cloudwalker with gravity."
Hold to cast- Remain stationary to instead send a wave crashing forward without you for up to 15m depending Tide.
Consumes up to 20% of your Tide meter, while returning 20% energy cost for each enemy hit.

Edited by kapn655321
  • Like 1

On 2019-12-10 at 7:20 AM, Tsukuyomi_GR said:

Hydroid calls forth the deepest parts of his domain in the form of an aquatic sphere. Enemies inside the sphere suffer gradual damage from asphyxiation. Shots to enemies outside the sphere are pressurized and deal more damage, whereas incoming shots to the players inside the sphere deal decreased damage.

I want to find a way to work this in. The water sphere is neat.

The mechanic behind damage reduction for players in the area of his 3 would be good either with this or the original undertow.
While damage reduction is working it's way into more and more kits, this one doesn't give it to Hydroid, but rather the party situationally in a zone.
That's a pretty fair compromise in my book.

Edited by kapn655321
  • Like 1

First of all I would like to thank again all the people who took the time to read and comment in this thread. I will try to respond on certain points from your posts.

On 2019-12-10 at 3:36 PM, Hadammants said:

Hello stranger!

Sorry if I was too blunt or rude at some point. It was not my intention

Hello to you as well, I didn't take your post as blunt or rude, so no worries! As I deem ideal changes for me, the ones I present in my kit, I understood from what you wrote in your post that you would like something that doesn't stray too much from the original idea for Hydroid, so in the end it's all personal preferences.

I don’t think Hydroid should be a jack-of-all-trades

To be honest, I tend to balance things out in most cases, quite a greedy person I am. 😂 I don't find it bad to be a jack of all trades since his element is quite versatile, so it could be thematically appropriate, yet again it's a matter of taste.

Passive: totally agree with your point. As it is, it is pretty situational. And while the passive change to ignore damage you suggested sounds nice, it is almost ineffective against high-level enemies. On higher levels, enemies can one-shot you, so depending on a 1/5 chance to avoid death is bad (at least I think so)

About the passive it’s true that as I presented it, it’s quite inconsistent. I was thinking of creating something like the effect of an arcane. Maybe it could be like 20% chance for 2 or 3 secs. I had in my mind something like Arcane Guardian which gets activated quite often and has an impact in your survivability. The idea might be there but as I said before, I am not the one to do the tweaking with the numbers. Still the chance to survive even one fatal strike seems to me more useful than the current passive.

I don’t really mind the charge mechanic.

At least for me when I play ESO, Sorties and such stuff, charging abilities usually shows me the way to death, on the other hand there's always the chance that I might doing it wrong. I would accept the charge if there wasn't a need to hold the button. The ability could charge by itself just by pressing the button once for example but that wouldn't permit the non charged use.

3rd and 4th: Here lie my problems with your suggestions. They completely change how Hydroid works. The 3rd would give him way too much support potential, offering CC, damage reduction and DPS potential. The 4th is purely a damage ability. From what we have in game, all exalted weapons increase DPS to some extent. Plus, you’re suggesting damage and range with each strike. And now we have a frame with CC (1st and 2nd abilities), support (3rd ability) and potential DPS (4th ability). I don’t think Hydroid should be a jack-of-all-trades. In fact, I don’t think any frame should, unless specifically designed as one.

The third ability is like a more usable Undertow, which with the augment gets the farming effects of Pilfering Swarm. I won’t comment on the synergy with the other abilities, I believe they do not have game breaking effects and they need obviously energy in order to be applied.
With the changes to the ability, it had to offer a few benefits because you lose the
invulnerability from Undertow as well as the capacity for removing entirely enemies from the battle. If I didn't add a few bonuses what would it be? A sphere that deals DPS like Undertow but in contrast the enemies inside it are still active and you are vulnerable from damage inside and outside of it? As I told in my initial post the purpose was not to change him completely, excluding the addition of an exalted weapon and some effects I believe that I have almost worked with things that are already provided in the current kit in one way or another.
As far as it concerns the increased damage/damage reduction, I didn't elaborate on it... don't take it as a massive boost, it's more as a minor complementary effect for being inside and not primarily targeted for Hydroid. The main reason for adding it was with the notion of enticing your team to join you and stay with you. Creating this way of thinking for your teammates "If I get inside, it might be slightly better since I will gain a small boost than roaming alone outside". Still they could be removed altogether, as long as I don’t have to be submerged and I have the capacity to move and shoot normally, I think it's a vast improvement in itself.
So if you exclude the minor damage boost/reduction you have a possible better version of the existing Undertow, with no need to shoot in puddles and such as the enemies are visible for you and your teammates. In regards to CC, it is applied only when you have equipped the proposed augment for the first ability, which will work in a diminished effect as well for half the duration of Tempest Barrage.

The fourth ability it might be too strong, I will elaborate though my reasons for wanting to add an offensive tool for Hydroid.
1) I like the idea of a trident as a weapon thematically and practically but that's my problem. 😅
2) From other threads and in general through the years I see that people also ask for a bit of more damage from this frame.
3) For a long time I have been thinking that having two CC abilities in most situations is obsolete, especially since you can have multiple instances of Tempest Barrage. On the other hand most of the time I think why cast Tempest Barrage when Tentacle Swarm has longer duration, bigger range, deals damage per second, which happens to be true (type of damage just to be clear). You could say that you can use both to lock different locations and that might be true in very specific tilesets that are having close spaces or spawn points, in all other cases you hit 4 - 5 enemies and the rest of the ability duration is wasted hitting nothing. Personally I would prefer Tempest Barrage to be my go-to ability in regards of CC.
4) Playing this game for many years I have noticed that in contrast to other cooperative shooter games, if you exclude the Eidolon runs, players don't have a need to move slowly in tight groups or such stuff. Of course a Trinity is useful or the buffs from Harrow but in most cases the majority of frames with their weaponry and their builds can be strong enough to handle situations on their own. I have never seen a player shooting in my puddle and in very rare occasion a few have bothered to shoot the enemies on the tentacles. What I want to say is that I believe that having only CC, with random teammates who don't have a need to stay close to you or focus on your abilities doesn't cut it in high level content and there's only so much your weapons can do for you. My purpose is not to create a room cleaner but something that you can depend on when the need arises.
5) I don't reject the CC capabilities of the 4th ability, since in my proposed ability after having filled the Tide meter with melee hits from Tidemaker, you can activate a more stable Tentacle Swarm in the form of Aqua Lance but instead of charging abilities you do it by fighting the enemies.
So you end up having 
1st ability: CC
2nd ability: CC, utility, mobility
3rd ability: A little bit of everything
4th ability: Damage and CC

So I believe that in the end his core remains a CC frame and that's what I want as well.

Anyway I wrote all this, with the purpose of being somewhat more elaborate on my train of thought behind this ability since you took time to provide feedback and impressions. 😀

On 2019-12-10 at 4:37 PM, (NSW)SantCruz said:

Also, his tentacle swarm (if kept) if used from his 3 should instead grab all nearby enemies and draw them into undertow.

I thought of this as well, if I would keep Tentacle Swarm in my kit, that would definitely be a synergy effect between it and Rising Depths. But that doesn't mean that I could not do the same with Aqua Lance. "Activating Aqua Lance inside Rising Depths makes lances extrude from the sphere piercing all nearby enemies and bringing them inside".

On 2019-12-10 at 4:37 PM, (NSW)SantCruz said:

I think your idea sounds a bit OP for a frame that's mainly supposed to be CC.

As far as it concerns the 4th ability, I believe you are right (when you write something, you can’t notice your faults sometimes), it’s probably op as it’s presented now. I wanted to utilize it as a Tidal Meter with my thought about the scaling damage be more like starting small to get through a complementary state and the option to sacrifice it in exchange for CC, but in the end it might be too much.
Revising it would be like “Each melee hit from Tidemaker is accompanied by streams of water, which deal true damage and increase the range of the hits in the surrounding area. Meanwhile the melee hits also fill a Tide meter comprised of three stages. (Constant energy cost)”
So the benefits from it are:
1. Visual effect 😋
2. A portion of True damage on melee hits from the exalted weapon
3.increased range
The second part of the ability as mentioned before is similar to a Tentacle Swarm of a smaller scale without the flailing. The added bonuses from the stages of the meter are replacing the ones acquired from charging Tentacle Swarm but instead of pressing a button you do it by using melee.

On 2019-12-11 at 6:34 AM, kapn655321 said:

Will post shortly with considerations towards your build in mind to see what you think.

In order to avoid quoting your whole initial kit for the sake of space, I will give general impressions and focus on certain things.
Many of your propositions are interesting and have merit, but my humble opinion is that many of them have a lot of effects adding more complexity (like your initial take on Tempest Barrage) or are visually demanding (like the Deep). From what I have seen so far in the kits of the frames, I believe that DE doesn't do things that way. If you try to bring different abilities in your mind you will see that if not all them, the majority of them are quite simple visually and practically. To be honest I am not sure if some of the things that I propose, which I believe are fairly simple would be implemented by DE, I can't even imagine doing an ability like the Deep. For example think about Limbo's Rift Plane, when you enter inside it, it just adds a tinted screen and muffled sound when they could have done so many different things. And this strengthens my belief that they wanted to avoid excessive water effects with Hydroid. Although he has a fluid element, none of his idle animations utilizes it, the animation for charging Tentacle Swarm stops the flowing water after a while and you end up moving around with a raised hand until you release the ability and finally with the introduction of the Kraken they managed to reduce the use of the liquid tentacles since most people who use him would move to the Prime version.  So if I could suggest you something in order to improve your kit, that would be to simplify your visual and practical effects, if you would like to create something with the purpose of having a chance to be used by DE. (Not trying in any way to belittle you or your propositions and make mine seem better, if that sentence gave by chance the wrong impression. I'm just trying to convey to you the way I was thinking in my attempt to create a kit. It could be possible that my way of thinking is wrong and my kit is rubbish.)

On 2019-12-11 at 6:48 AM, kapn655321 said:

HOLD TO TOGGLE PIRATE MODE.

Consider me totally triggered! 🤣

On 2019-12-11 at 11:16 PM, kapn655321 said:

Tide Meter:
Passively and through abilities, Hydroid generates, "Tide," meter.

This is an idea I dig as an alternative passive other than the one I propose. Maybe I could even implement it in my concept of Tidemaker (the exalted weapon). As it is presented now the meter only affects Aqua Lance (second part of the ability, tentacle swarm like ability), whereas with the implementation after taking into account your ideas it could give a small boost to range and ability power per tidal stage (3 in total) , which would be lost when the stages of the meter are drained after a cast of the Aqua Lance. So while the tidal stages of the meter are filled by the strikes of Tidemaker you have bigger range and power for your abilities, but if you decide to activate Aqua Lance you benefit from it's effect but you lose the benefits for the other abilities. How does that sound to you as a concept?

On 2019-12-12 at 12:26 AM, kapn655321 said:

While damage reduction is working it's way into more and more kits, this one doesn't give it to Hydroid, but rather the party situationally in a zone.
That's a pretty fair compromise in my book.

I really appreciate the fact, that although I didn't elaborate about it in the initial post, you seem to understand that this effect was more of a conditional exchange rather than a straight out boost to the frame.

And having said all that in this big post, I will keep working and revising my initial post by utilizing those elements from your feedback that I deem that they could fit or improve my concept. 🌊

Edited by Tsukuyomi_GR
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tsukuyomi_GR said:

Consider me totally triggered! 🤣

The Pirate mode idea is an amalgam of previous threads I've been in.
Many of my earliest suggestions leaned in hard on the notion of a better water based kit..
But as players and his soon-to-come Deluxe have reminded me,
Pirate is an essential part of his theme.

By the way, I've worked in that aqua glob idea.
Been working tirelessly to get some visuals for this.
Hope to have it up some time tomorrow night.
Thanks for the response.
THE DEEP would no doubt be groundbreaking and ambitious.
This one comes from another player, so I'm trying to do that justice. 😃

Speaking of which! Updates on that front.

Your water glob idea:
Casting Tidal Surge at active Whirlpools forces enemies out.
Withdraws enemies from THE DEEP, encapsulated in suspended water.
They continue to take ticks of damage as they would in Undertow/Whirlpool.
In this state, enemies are Blinded, open to Finishers/Finisher Damage.

Enemies killed in this state grant bonuses on death:
           -30% to -60% Status Duration
         +15% to +30% Damage Reduction
         +10% to +20% Evasion
      Lasts between 10 to 20 seconds.
*amounts dependent on TIDE meter.

Casting Tidal Surge at these targets deals it's damage as Finisher Damage.
Enemies are removed from this state, and sent ragdolling in Tidal Wave,
+2x Size/Remaining Distance of Tidal Surge.
Damage dealt to initial suspended target is added to the damage of this wave.

P.S.
Also found a spot for your Trident.
I'll let you know what I came up with when I think I have something you'd be happy with.

Edited by kapn655321

HYDROID: PIRATE ASSASSIN
(All ability values are given as unmodded value at Rank 30. All +/- with mods unless stated otherwise.)

PASSIVE:  THE TIDE    *Tide Meter: (1-100)   (~Tide = "Depending Tide level in meter.")
Hydroid's abilities actively spawn Pools Of Water and value toward a Tide meter, earned from making enemies "Wet."
Passively generates 1.3 Tide per second (toward a maximum of 100 points) in a Tide meter.
Meter is replenished for each enemy, "Wet," (affected or hit) by Hydroid's abilities.
Abilities increase in Range with Tide. (+0% to +20% ~Tide.)
Enemies become, "Wet," from abilities.
Each enemy that receives a, "Wet," status gives +2 Tide.
These enemies generate an additional 1.3 Tide per second for Hydroid's Tide.
"Wet," enemies have a chance to suffer brief Weapon Malfunction;
If killed (while "Wet,") enemies have a increased chance to drop energy orbs.

Chance to drop Energy Orb                  +1% to +20%  ~Tide (max.cap. +20% from any Tide sources.)
Chance for Weapon Malfunction     +1% to +20% ~Tide (max.cap. 20% per player, +5% from Specter, 80%max.total.)
Malfunction rate                                         Every 6s-3s ~Tide
Duration of effect                                                   4s-8s ~Tide

Abilities leave Pool(s) Of Water.
(Ground Slams during "PIRATE MODE," may add Tentacle.)
When enemies come in contact with Pool(s) Of Water, they become, "Wet,"
and suffer either a brief Stagger(w/ -Friction), or Knockdown.

Each Pool Of Water may only, "Wet," as many as 2 enemies.
"Wet," enemies have (1% to 8% ~Tide) chance of generating a new Pool at their feet every 3s.
The Size, Lifespan, and Max# of Pools are determined by Tide.

Size             2m to 4m ~Tide
Lifespan       3s to 6s ~Tide
Max#              3 to 6 ~Tide

*"The faint sound of a distant Ship Bell's clang," alerts player to having fallen below 12.5% Tide.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEMPEST BARRAGE:
Target area with pouring rain. (Hold-to-charge.)
Improves stealth conditions while impairing enemy movement & response.
Disables cameras; reveals fish in bodies of water. Does not alert enemies.
(1% - 100% ~Tide) Chance to leave Pool Of Water every 3s.

This ability stacks Duration up to 3 times when cast on itself.
You may have up to 3 active (instances or stacks total,) Tempest Barrage at any time.
(*Deals no Damage.. there's a darn good reason later.)

Drain                                                                      25 to 50 (charged)
Radius                                                                 10m to 15m ~Tide
Duration                                                                 5s to 10s (charged)
Enemy Damage/Movement Speed                     -20%   (max.cap. -70%)
Enemy Sight/Sound Detection                            -40%  (max.cap. -90%)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TIDAL SURGE:
"Crash through enemies in a ferocious wall of water."
(Movement style similar to, Wukong's "Cloud Walker," but limited by Gravity.)

Energy Cost                                                            50
Strength                                                                  300

Range                                                            6m (striking radius from center *depending Angle)
Angle                                                                   30 to 90 degree ~Tide
Distance                                                                 30m (per second)
Duration                                                                   1s (wave duration)

HOLD-TO-CAST:
Remain stationary issuing waves forward, instead of becoming the wave.
Consumes portion of Tide, while returning a portion of Energy cost per enemy hit.

Tide Consumed/Energy Returned                    6% to 20% ~Tide

UNDERTOW:
"Become a water trap and drown unsuspecting enemies."
Undertow augments functions of other abilities while active. On the surface, it's the same.
This state is now referred to as, "THE SHALLOWS." ...but there is a complex layer just beneath.
Pressing Jump while in "THE SHALLOWS," of Undertow will exit/end Undertow.
Pressing crouch withdraws Radius by 30%. Hydroid's passive Tide generation increases by +3 per second.

Energy Drain                                                          - as is -
Damage, "Tick," rate                             +0% to +20% ~Tide
Grab Cost                                                              - as is -
Meters per Energy                                                      "
Strength                                                                      "
Duration                                                                      "
Range                                                                         "

HOLD-TO-CAST: Spend portion of Tide to cast Pool(s) Of Water.

Tide Cost                                                            6% to 20% ~Tide
Pool(s) Of Water                                                   1 to 3 ~Tide

------------------

*Casting Tempest Barrage from within, "THE SHALLOWS,":
Cast instance of Tempest Barrage receives Bonus 50% chance-to-spawn:
(0 to 2 additional) Pool(s) Of Water once every 5s.

HOLD-TO-CAST: Increase Range of Undertow 15% while-charging.
Tempest Barrage receives a brief additional bonus to Range.

Range                                                           +10% to +30% ~Tide
Duration of bonus                                             3s to 6s ~Tide

------------------

*Casting Tidal Surge from within, "THE SHALLOWS.":
(As is, +15% base Distance .)

HOLD-TO-CAST:
Cast a wave(as you would outside of Undertow) from Undertow's outer edge.  (camera=forward)
Radius of A.o.E. wave equal to **Movement Wave Aura. (listed below, under: Tidal Surge (PIRATE MODE)
Tap-To-Cast while Tidal Surge/"Tidal Wave" is active to Blink Undertow's location to that of the most recent wave.

------------------

*Casting Riptide from within, "THE SHALLOWS.":
Tap-To-Cast on target surface to cast Riptide.
Aim camera down at center of Undertow, (or hold Zoom) while casting Riptide to convert Undertow's surface into Whirlpool.

RIPTIDE:
Cast a Whirlpool on target.
Acts similar to Undertow, but independent.
*Enemies auras do not transmit through this barrier.

Tap-to-cast on target active Whirlpool to dismiss, consuming remaining time as Tide.
You may enter any instance of Whirlpool as though it were Undertow.
Doing so engages Undertow as active, beginning it's Energy drain cost, but also adding the
~Tide bonus (Damage, "tick," rate increase,) of Undertow to Whirlpool(s).
Damage equal to Undertow's Damage, not including Undertow's Tide Tick Rate bonus.

Damage                                                                      25  (+2% per second)
Damage (per, "tick.")                                            +1% to +20% ~Tide
Duration                                                                      20s
Radius                                                                          6m
       ------------------
Casting Tempest Barrage onto active any active Whirlpool generates an additional 1.3 Tide per second.
This generation stacks (times active stacks of Tempest Barrage) active at Whirlpool(s), up to 3 times.

------------------
Casting Tidal Surge across/into any active Whirlpool(s) will give 1 to 5 Tide,
depending current Range stat of that wave:
           <3.5m = +1 Tide
3.5m
to 5.5m = +2 Tide
5.6m
to 7.5m = +3 Tide
7.6m
to 9.5m = +4 Tide
           >9.5m = +5 Tide

If any enemies are present within the Whirlpool,
one enemy (at random) will be withdrawn from Whirlpool by the wave;
encapsulated in suspended water as a giant clear drop/orb/glob (of water,) referred to as, "Rising Depths."
Enemies within "Rising Depths," continue to take damage as they would within Whirlpool.
While suspended, enemies are Blinded, open to Finishers/Finisher Damage.
Enemies killed while in, "Rising Depths," grant bonuses on death (to self or ally responsible):
(Does not stack.)

Status (affliction) Duration                                 -30% to -60% ~Tide
Damage Reduction                                           +15% to +30% ~Tide
Evasion                                                              +10% to +20% ~Tide
Duration of bonus                                                 10s to 20s ~Tide

*Casting Tidal Surge at any active instance of, "Rising Depths," will deal it's Damage as Finisher Damage.
Tidal Surge's wave's Damage adds that (Damage dealt to the enemy within, "Rising Depths,") to it's own.
From this point, the wave increases in Duration(1st) and Range(2nd),
converting the instance of, "Rising Depths," into bonus; creating a, "Tidal Wave."

"Tidal Wave," Duration increase             2x remaining Duration of Tidal Surge wave.
"Tidal Wave," Range increase                   (2x Range) x (improved remaining Duration.)

This enemies will then act as they would, as if hit with any other Tidal Surge wave.

HOLD-TO-CAST Riptide to toggle PIRATE MODE channeled state.
PIRATE MODE: Activate a channeled state for Hydroid, giving bonuses and augmented functions to all other abilities.
(PIRATE MODE channel is Not deactivated by Nullifier fields.)
(HOLD-TO-CAST Riptide will always toggle PIRATE MODE. On, always with casting cost; off, never having any casting cost.)

Bonuses:
While active, Hydroid receives Evasion. +40% to +65% ~Tide
Channel cost is reduced ~Tide, inversely. Lower Tide = cheaper (by up to 20% Efficiency). "Going Ashore."

When casting Riptide during PIRATE MODE:
You may have as many as 2 Whirlpools active, if Tide is not below 50% (for >5s.)

Enables: "THE DEEP."
Upon activating PIRATE MODE, All Instances of (player's) Undertow & Whirlpool, "open up,"
with a new area, & method of actively engaging enemies beneath the, "water's," surface.

THE DEEP: A "Room," with an invisible boundary,
 shaped similar to the inside of a shallow "Erlenmeyer flask,"
(roughly 2x the size of Undertow/Whirlpool surface area)
surrounded by an, "under water," skybox, as a seemingly endless ocean to all sides and beneath you.
Enemies are deposited into the same instance of, "THE DEEP," from any Undertow/Whirlpool you cast.
All enemies within, "THE DEEP," are as Lifted.
All abilities are augmented have different functions within, "THE DEEP."
Within THE DEEP is also, The Kraken, (and the whole rest of their body), with homing tentacles beneath the waves.
Tentacles deal 100 Impact / 100 Magnetic / 100 Viral per second.
Tentacles will reach out once every 6s passively snagging up one of any enemies not currently held.

Any active Whirlpool(s) are now home to The Kraken and it's many tentacles.
(Similar to Tentacle Swarm as-cast-from-Undertow, was.)
During Low Tide, The Kraken grabs up enemies as flails them around.
During High Tide, The Kraken pulls enemies into the Whirlpool, (similar to previous as-cast-from-Undertow.)
Behavior of, "Flail enemies," or, "Dunk enemies," scales in chance to be performing either action ~Tide.
Example: At 50% Tide meter, it will be random in it's decision to, "Flail/Dunk," enemies held.

The Kraken, in, "THE DEEP."
Enemies within, "THE DEEP," are grabbed at random by The Kraken, once every 6s.

Tempest Barrage (PIRATE MODE)
(All new functions added onto the Non-PIRATE MODE functions.)
Volleys of Grapeshot are aimed directly at enemies (or target area).
Repeated casts within 5s lose 30% Accuracy.
Projectiles fall at erratic intervals worth 20% value per second.

Damage                                                                      100
Projectiles                         14 x Power Strength + Radius Divided across Targets (or Area).
Multishot                                                                  0 to 100% ~Tide
"Shattering Impact"                                                     1 to 10 ~Tide
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tidal Surge (PIRATE MODE)
(HOLD-TO-CAST from Non-PIRATE MODE becomes Tap-To-Cast.)
Waves now consume 50% less Tide.
Hydroid receives +Movement Speed bonus equal to 50% of Tidal Surge's movement rate (meter per sec.)
Waves will remain inert at your feet until you move, causing them to crash in place around you.
All bonus effects stack one additional time (Maximum 2 stacks total) and are removed by Nullifier fields.

Inert Wave Aura                                         10% of Tidal Surge current striking radius  (20% on stack 2.)
**Movement Wave Aura                              30% of Tidal Surge current striking radius  (60% on stack 2.)

HOLD-TO-CAST:
Become, "The Thing from THE DEEP."
Summon (quasi-exalted) Tentacles for arms.
(3 per), writhing and curling around each other.
(Similar to Saryn Prime's tendril like "hair." One Tentacle has a hook for a, "hand.")
All attacks as, "The Thing From THE DEEP," (including Secondary Fire,) cause enemies to become, "Wet."
"The Thing From THE DEEP," is not cancelled by Nullifier fields.
This state ends upon:
(Hold-to-) Re-Cast,
(When PIRATE MODE has ended,)
or when you run out of either Energy or Tide.

Fire = Left Arm(s)                   Zoom = Right Arm(s)
Damage                                             200 Viral
                                                           200 Impact.
Attack Speed                                      1.08
Range 
                                       (Equal to "Grab" Tentacles from Undertow.)

Borrows attacks from several stances, both arms attacking independently.
(Attacks per arm follow separate combos. No Combo Counter Meter in this mode.. yet.)

STANCE                      MELEE CLASS       COMBO NAME
Coiling Viper                  Whip                 Whistling Wind
Burning Wasp                Whip                Sparking Torture
"                "                        "                       Buzzing Sting
Homing Fang                Daggers                  Life Eater
Four Rider                       Claws             Aggravated Swarm
Malicious Raptor          Claws                   Wicked Slash
*Cyclone Kraken       Machetes             Leviathan Rain  (Available >50% ~Tide)
*Vulpine Mask             Rapiers               Assailant Guise (Available >75% ~Tide)

Executing Combos casts a lesser Tidal Surge wave for no cost.
Wave determined by: 30% Tidal Surge ability stats, +30% for each current Tidal Surge movement bonus stack level.)

Unique Heavy Attack: "Hook Hand,"
Commands Arm-Tentacles to automatically pull nearby enemies to you (prone).
(Range equal to Undertow "Grab" Tentacles.)

Secondary Fire: Consume 50% Tide to throw a Trident that heals you on hit. (Similar to Javlok)
200 Puncture base Damage. (However, the numeric value of Power Strength and Tide determine the total actual.)
Damage =  200 Puncture *X*Y
(Power Strength#) = X
(%Tide# x 0.001) = Y
Health = Damage Dealt x (0.01% to 0.05% ~Tide) + (25 to 50 ~Tide)

Briefly pins enemies to the ground (prone) for 3s. (Similar to one of Nezha's "Divine Spears.")
If killed on strike, can pin enemies to walls. (Similar to Boltor.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Undertow (PIRATE MODE)
Undertow remains as you go beneath it.
You may now pan the camera down beneath, "THE SHALLOWS," to enter, "THE DEEP."

Hold-To-Cast:  Blink to target (or nearest) active Whirlpool.

Movement within THE DEEP:
"Combine Archwing's movement with Ecco: The DolphinTM..." -says Absolute Mad man.
Very light momentum, way more, "swimmy." (No Archwing is used in this state, just it's movement.)
Perform basic strikes and slap attacks (a.k.a. archmelee) with Tentacle arms present as, "The Thing From THE DEEP."

Abilities are now different:
Cast Tempest Barrage to command The Kraken to, "crush," all enemies in it's grasp:
         Surge 250 Viral/1000 Impact @ 40% to 90% Status Chance once, to all enemies. (+50% Energy cost; 4s cooldown.)

Cast Tidal Surge to Blink to target area or (nearest enemy dealing it's Damage as Magnetic,) or aim up to Blink to, "THE SHALLOWS." 
(This move is a little like Blink, a little like Ash's, "Teleport," a little like Ecco the Dolphin's dash move..)
-50% Energy cost to cast.

HOLD-TO-CAST Undertow creates an 'enemy vacuum', pulling to you all enemies within, "THE DEEP," not currently held by The Kraken.

Leaving, "THE DEEP," will occur from:
     -Tap-To-Cast Undertow to exit at the nearest Undertow (priority) or Whirlpool for No (0) Energy cost.
     -Automatically exit, "THE DEEP," (either into, "THE SHALLOWS," or entirely,) upon running out of either
      Energy or Tide, or upon deactivation of PIRATE MODE.
     -Nullifier fields coming in contact with Undertow, or a single Whirlpool serving as the only present, "portal."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to all of the members of the forums and players through the years, and their spectacular imaginations.

Special Thanks To:
NuclearCoffeePot (for Tide and several other concepts.)
Tsukoyomi_GR (for "Rising Depths" and inspiration for Trident.)
(NSW)SantCruz (for pushing me to make Hydroid more Lethal!)
Hadammants
and MANY many others for their vital feedback and discussion!

Edited by kapn655321
Improved formatting, spelling, missed details, etc.