Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Optimize Your Install?

Fugana

Just now, Leyvonne said:

Saving space is not a benefit on an SSD?

SSD/Nand technology simply doesnt waste any bit of space unless intentional. The only thing that it does is harm and shorten the life of cells inside.
Simple check option to have it on or off as a pop up option will be amazing.

11 minutes ago, Fugana said:

Can we finally have an option to remove this pop up? Ppls like me on SSD/NVME have no benefits out of this, it is super annoying to have a pointless pop up before starting the game. Please.

It does save disk space, though. It does some other stuff as well, like compressing stuff and rebuilding caches.

AFAIK defragging is automatically skipped if you have the game installed on an SSD.

7 minutes ago, Fugana said:

SSD/Nand technology simply doesnt waste any bit of space unless intentional. The only thing that it does is harm and shorten the life of cells inside.

The cleanup has nothing to do with disk technology, it simply removes redundant data from the cache. Also, write cycles are pretty much a non-issue with modern SSDs.

6 minutes ago, Fugana said:

Simple check option to have it on or off as a pop up option will be amazing.

People really need to let go of this myth. It might have been true for the first SSDs on the market, but now it really isn't an issue. Unless you defrag the thing every single day... and optimizing a game does not equal a defrag.

• Like 2

I let it optimize every time it asks me to. Less bugs around host migration and loading screens.

And I do like being asked if I'd let it optimize. ... Just in case I need to get online faster if a friend calls me. ... Or I'm short on free time.

Because of the way SSDs work, not only does data not become fragmented, but running a defragmentation utility will actually burn through the program/erase cycles. What warframe does is exactly defragmentation in hopes to clear space between sectors in order to improve loading times (on hdd) here and there. On nand technology the cells can be as far as they can from each other and there wont be any performance difference, it simply wont do anything but waste cycles.
A simple toggle option wont kill anyone but it will make the experience better for many.

2 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

I got the game on a regular HDD and even I don't notice any difference after optimizing 2GBs...

I once optimized over 4.5GB while on hdd - no difference at all.

39 minutes ago, Fugana said:

Because of the way SSDs work, not only does data not become fragmented, but running a defragmentation utility will actually burn through the program/erase cycles. What warframe does is exactly defragmentation in hopes to clear space between sectors in order to improve loading times (on hdd) here and there. On nand technology the cells can be as far as they can from each other and there wont be any performance difference, it simply wont do anything but waste cycles.
A simple toggle option wont kill anyone but it will make the experience better for many.

I once optimized over 4.5GB while on hdd - no difference at all.

This isnt a defrag though. This simply removes what we can call "temp" files that arent used by the game, files that are still there and causes buggy loading at times. Defrag is tightening the gap on a mechanical hard drive, so it isnt dispersed across the whole thing, so it gets easier to read. Both versions are impacted positively by the install optimization since it removes unneeded files and frees up space.

• Like 1

you need to defragment an ssd hundreds of times to take it beyond its life expectancy. you could probably do the warframe optimize millions of times and have no troubles. its true you dont NEED to optimize since speed is not affected, but it is freeing up your drive space. most games just do it, this one asks you for some reason if you want it to be done.

Edited by Talinthis
  • Like 2