Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove Warframe/sentinel Ability Mods From Drop Pool

AbsolutTalent

This is beyond ridiculous how diluted the mod pool is by keeping these on the table. Especially since the warframe abilities only go up 3 levels, meaning it takes 8 same mods total to max it out. Do you know how many extra Decoy or Well of Life I have had?

For example: I have just ran a T3 defense mission. Void missions are supposed to be tough, and they hold rare ancient artifacts for crafting powerful weapons and warframes. Stands to make sense that the tougher enemies should also drop powerful and more rare mods.

You know what i ended up getting?

-4 Thumper (Djinn sentinel only mod, which also comes with the sentinel when bought/built)

-5 Vacuum (Carrier sentinel only mod, which also comes with sentinel when bought/built)

-4 Second Wind (Melee, Plus stamina on melee kill)

-2 Reflection (Warframe, reflect % damage back on block)

-1 Pull (Mag mod, which comes with warframe)

-1 Terrify (Nekros mod, which comes with warframe)

-8 fusion core, level 3

-6 Fusion core, level 5

-1 Coolant Leak (sentinel mod, slowing aura) Rare

-1 Power Throw (glaive, puncture) Rare

33 mods

11 of them are standard mods everyone gets when getting the respective frame/sentinel

Those 11 took up a chance that maybe something more useful could have dropped. Even a level 3 fusion core wouldve been better.

What is the reasoning for keeping the warframe/sentinel mods in the mod pool? Its not like people are out there farming for a Pull mod. Ive never heard someone complain about not getting their Vacuum mod up to rank 5 people they cant find anymore Vacuum drops. Most people use their extra worthless mods to level up abilities (Lightning Rod, Reach, INTRUDER anyone?) And once those are exhausted they move onto low level fusion cores. 

And this isnt just for drops too. What about people that have spent platinum on the mod packs in the market?

I myself have bought a few on a S#&$s and giggle quest for a split chamber.

90 platinum = $1.50-6.00 (depending on if you use platinum discount or not)

I ended up with 2x Slash Dash, 1x Decoy, 1x Bastille, 1x Avalanche, 1x Blessing, 1x Sonar

Do you see the sillyness in that?

Im trying to come up with a logical solution to help our problems.... and the only thing I keep comming up with is to remove the warframe and sentinel ability mods from the drop pools. You dont need to dilute the pool with more filler and fluff, we already have Reach, Flame Repellent, Warm Coat, etc..... for that.

I disagree, we should still be get warframe/sentinel ability mods from the mod drops, but it should drop warframe mods for warframes you have, and haven't maxed out.

IE, If I have Excal, Frost, and Volt, I shouldn't be getting mods for Loki, Rhino, and Mag, And if all of my Excal ability mods are maxed but super jump, I should have a chance to drop super jump mods, instead of radial blind.

This way players who still want to use extra copies of one ability to max out said ability, they can, and mods they have maxed out, and mods of warframes they don't own aren't going to fill up their drops, like you're suggesting.

I disagree, we should still be get warframe/sentinel ability mods from the mod drops, but it should drop warframe mods for warframes you have, and haven't maxed out.

IE, If I have Excal, Frost, and Volt, I shouldn't be getting mods for Loki, Rhino, and Mag, And if all of my Excal ability mods are maxed but super jump, I should have a chance to drop super jump mods, instead of radial blind.

This way players who still want to use extra copies of one ability to max out said ability, they can, and mods they have maxed out, and mods of warframes they don't own aren't going to fill up their drops, like you're suggesting.

The problem with your suggestion is that Fusion Cores are just as effective at leveling abilities as copies are, and once you've fully leveled an ability, extra copies no longer have any significant benefit. By removing ability mods from the pool, you don't hurt your ability to level up skills, but you help your chances of getting everything else.

It's annoying, yes, but if they weren't in there the rare mods you're looking for would appear common. If DE set it up properly, for lack of a better word, Skill mods (including Sentenial Skill mods) aren't each individually listed in the mod drops. For example:

There's 8 possible mod drops. Skill, Primary, Secondary, Melee, Fusion Core, Sentenial, Sentenial Skill and Warframe. RNG says you pull from catagory 1, Skill. Once that's been decided it rolls the dice on the rarity. Another roll and it decides what Skill mod you'll get. 

Now, I'm not saying this is exactly how it works, it's more of a visual representation to explain something.

If you remove the Skill and Sentenial Skill drops, you're looking at an increased chance to get something more "useful". 

Here's another example, which is probably a bit closer to reality:

There's Common, Uncommon, Rare. RNG says you get Rare. It then pulls from every Rare mod there is. 

Even if you consider a Rare ability useless, it's creating a more diverse mod drop rate. Yes, Skills could probably be nerfed a bit. However, when you're pulling 30+ mods per run, getting mods that're only "useful" would ruin the game's mechanics. 

Edited by Colorswirl

Even if you consider a Rare ability useless, it's creating a more diverse mod drop rate. Yes, Skills could probably be nerfed a bit. However, when you're pulling 30+ mods per run, getting mods that're only "useful" would ruin the game's mechanics. 

No it wouldn't. Considering a Rare ability to be "useful" is pretty.. useless. They literally serve no purpose other than transmute/fusion fodder, only they aren't even that great for the latter once you've maxed your frame's abilities, and they don't do a better job of it than cores. I would rather have a full page of common cores than a page of Well of Life, but I'm receiving more of these than anything remotely beneficial to me.

+1 for that, I lost count of how many Swift Deth and Well of Life I've picked up recently

I don't, I recently sold over 800 useless mods.. most Regen, Swift Death, Well of Life, Slash Dash, Redirection (sent), Tanner, Decoy.. etc..

Meanwhile I managed to find only 1 rifle penetration mod at my 70th hour or playing and 1 Cryo for rifle..

+1 for OP

It's annoying, yes, but if they weren't in there the rare mods you're looking for would appear common. If DE set it up properly, for lack of a better word, Skill mods (including Sentenial Skill mods) aren't each individually listed in the mod drops. For example:

There's 8 possible mod drops. Skill, Primary, Secondary, Melee, Fusion Core, Sentenial, Sentenial Skill and Warframe. RNG says you pull from catagory 1, Skill. Once that's been decided it rolls the dice on the rarity. Another roll and it decides what Skill mod you'll get. 

Now, I'm not saying this is exactly how it works, it's more of a visual representation to explain something.

If you remove the Skill and Sentenial Skill drops, you're looking at an increased chance to get something more "useful". 

Here's another example, which is probably a bit closer to reality:

There's Common, Uncommon, Rare. RNG says you get Rare. It then pulls from every Rare mod there is. 

Using your first example

There are 21 sentinel mods, 10 are sentinel precepts (ability). So by removing the half that is redundant, true it does increase the chances of getting something "useful" to a point. And that is if it is really random. If there is a fixed % chance of getting a rare quality mod, then it doesnt really matter. If its locked at 20% chance for rare, doesnt matter if there is 5 mods in the pool or 100 mods, you still only have a 20% chance of a rare mod.

And all those precept mods are common quality anyways, take them out and you are still left with the generic commons (guardian, redirection, regen, steel fiber, vitality)

**(sidenote, steel fiber either needs to be removed or made useful, sentinels have no armor. increasing 50% of 0 armor is still 0)**

By using your 2nd example, even if you remove the one whole category of "skills" then there is still plenty of fodder left to make the truly useful rares, still rare

-28 rifle mods, 10 rare

-19 shotgun mods, 5 rare

-23 secondary mods, 6 rare

-25 Melee (includes new glaive-only), 7 rare

-40 warframe mods (non-ability),13 rare

-11 Sentinel mods (non-precepts), 4 rare

-60 Warframe mods (ability), 30 rare

-10 Sentinel mods (precepts), 0 rare

216 mods, 85 rare = 39.50% are rare mods

If we remove the 60 warframe mods (including the rares), and the 10 sentinel precepts

146 mods, 45 are rare = 31% are rare mods

So its not making obtaining a rare any easier.

But its still all guesswork as to how the mod drops are actually calculated. I still see no positives to keeping the warframe ability mods and sentinel precepts in the drop table.

*edited to change wording on rare mod %*

Edited by AbsolutTalent

Using your first example

There are 21 sentinel mods, 10 are sentinel precepts (ability). So by removing the half that is redundant, true it does increase the chances of getting something "useful" to a point. And that is if it is really random. If there is a fixed % chance of getting a rare quality mod, then it doesnt really matter. If its locked at 20% chance for rare, doesnt matter if there is 5 mods in the pool or 100 mods, you still only have a 20% chance of a rare mod.

And all those precept mods are common quality anyways, take them out and you are still left with the generic commons (guardian, redirection, regen, steel fiber, vitality)

**(sidenote, steel fiber either needs to be removed or made useful, sentinels have no armor. increasing 50% of 0 armor is still 0)**

By using your 2nd example, even if you remove the one whole category of "skills" then there is still plenty of fodder left to make the truly useful rares, still rare

-28 rifle mods, 10 rare

-19 shotgun mods, 5 rare

-23 secondary mods, 6 rare

-25 Melee (includes new glaive-only), 7 rare

-40 warframe mods (non-ability),13 rare

-11 Sentinel mods (non-precepts), 4 rare

-60 Warframe mods (ability), 30 rare

-10 Sentinel mods (precepts), 0 rare

216 mods, 85 rare = 39.50% rare chance.

If we remove the 60 warframe mods (including the rares), and the 10 sentinel precepts

146 mods, 45 are rare = 31% rare chance

So its not making obtaining a rare any easier.

But its still all guesswork as to how the mod drops are actually calculated. I still see no positives to keeping the warframe ability mods and sentinel precepts in the drop table.

I like that math, makes the rare you want about 8% more rare.

I like that math, makes the rare you want about 8% more rare.

I think maybe I put the wrong choice or words on it. Its not really the chance to get a rare, its the % of mods that are rare for however you want to take it.

To simplify it:

old way- 1 in 85 chance of getting the rare you want if rare is to be awarded

new way- 1 in 45 chance of getting the rare you want if rare is to be awarded

How ever the system decides to use RNG to award your rare is up to how DE implemented it. But if there is less rares to compete (in this case the warframe #3 and #4 powers) then you have a better shot at a worthwhile mod.

I think maybe I put the wrong choice or words on it. Its not really the chance to get a rare, its the % of mods that are rare for however you want to take it.

To simplify it:

old way- 1 in 85 chance of getting the rare you want if rare is to be awarded

new way- 1 in 45 chance of getting the rare you want if rare is to be awarded

How ever the system decides to use RNG to award your rare is up to how DE implemented it. But if there is less rares to compete (in this case the warframe #3 and #4 powers) then you have a better shot at a worthwhile mod.

agreed

That just overly complicates the Mod Pools again, just remove Skill and Sentinel Skill mods altogether, they're worthless to have duplicates of and I'm tired of looking at the 40+ Pages of Well of Life, Energy Vampire, Decoy, and every other Common/Uncommon Skill Mod ingame, I should not have to scroll down through over 400 duplicates of ONE Skill Mod, as the guy said, they just dillute the whole Drop System and make already rare mods rarer than they have to be when they're competing with a Rare Avalanche mod or something like that. We get them all the instant we make the Frame/Sentinel, it won't kill anyone to lose those duplicates and have to use some of the MANY other duplicates they have for them or even a few Fusion Cores, I have over 10k Mods currently and honestly, I stopped trying to find mods on my Mod page because so many are skill mods. It's just hard to look for anything even when I put it in alphabetical order because it takes a day to scroll through all those damned Decoys etc.

Agreed.  I believe the ability mods might serve a minor marketing purpose by showcasing things the player doesn't have yet, but there are almost certainly other ways of doing this that do not cause experienced players' inventories to fill with hundreds or thousands of (as other people have said) marginally effective fusion cores.

Absolutely agreed.

We've got the same "sentinel attack" mod in a four faces: for a wyrm, for a dethcube, for a carrier and for a djinn. Totally no sence. I do not even talking about stalker, spamming with slashdashes mods right after extinction. 

So yes, DE should remove all this crap from the drop pool. Make your petition and will sign it up. 

You get the ability mods when you build the warframe.

If you want to use one ability mod in transmute or fusion and that mod is the only one you have you get an error sound and can't use that mod in the operation.

That being said, the ability mods have no use. I'm tired when, after destroying 4 rare mods and 36k credits, I'm getting Nyx's Chaos.

Edited by nekrojiji