Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A centralized Warframe future

(NSW)Flickstiq

I'm familiar with DE's stance on cross-platform play and the reasons for it. I'm also familiar with DE's dedication to finding new ways of supporting their community and creating ways to encourage their players to invest themselves in the game. So this feedback is provided with those two things in mind. I very much respect the challenges associated with cross-platform play. I also respect DE's current stance on that subject. However, I'm also here to express something that would make a world of difference to myself and other members of the community.

For me the Switch changes everything. And it also creates a bit of frustration as I can easily glimpse a potential future that greatly enhances my ability to enjoy Warframe to the fullest. I own Xbox One X and a Switch. So recently I've struggled a bit with deciding which platform to invest my time into. The Xbox is downright beautiful and the controls are natural and easy for me to jump into. The Switch is beautiful in it's own right when you consider it's technical limitations. I love the portability of the Switch, but I'm also keenly aware of the downscaling and lower textures that you deal with when using it. I'd love to live in a world where I could choose to log into my Warframe account on the Xbox for a longer play session, and then grab my Switch and go when I need to play on the go. I wish I didn't have to choose between portability and beauty. And yes, I realize that the Xbox offers streaming, and I'm fine with that in some cases. However the best experience for Warframe is a native one with naturally low input latency. The Switch offers that in a way that streaming doesn't.

I know that DE is very community focused, and that they have a history of reevaluating stances that they've taken on various subjects. It would be amazing to live in a world where I can enjoy a centralized Warframe experience on the best platform that is available to me in a given moment. If the Xbox is free and I have the time, then I'd want to use that. If I need to play in a different place or on the go, then I'd love to have the option of picking up my Switch and continuing there. And I'm sure that other players could make similar arguments for their favorite platforms. Anyway, thank you for considering my feedback, and if other members of the community have an opinion on this subject, feel free to chime in.

They've been working on this for a very, very long time.

The issue, apparently, lies not in the programming. They have that ready to go.

The issue is in the legal #*!%ery necessary to get Valve, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all to play nice with one another, and the necessary security between platforms, etc. They have to get everybody onto the same page and agreeing to work together before they can do that, because they have to get everything, from all platforms, working on all platforms.

If I had to guess the biggest hurdle?

Probably the player created content from Steam which is so very popular, and very difficult to handle legally, especially when it comes to paying out money from each platform to those individual creators.

Edited by (PS4)shadowclasper

I agree that it's hard to implement this when some of the features are very different on some of the platforms. Here the only real outlier is the PC. It's on a different release schedule, has a control advantage, and has custom content. Ideally I'd love a solution where all platforms could be interchangeable. But I'd also personally be fine with having just the consoles in sync. They're already on the same release schedule, have roughly the same controls (no advantages), and no custom content. With that said, I'd still prefer a solution that includes all the platforms. But if the PC is holding that back, then let's at least start with the consoles.

The problem with unifying the community is that while intentions are great, the value of Platinum will mostly break. PC has highly inflated values on Rivens due to discounts, higher player counts, etc. It's hard to bring these other platforms together when updates are staggered and the economy of consoles are separate from each other.

I agree that unifying is challenging. There would have to be some sort of normalizing that is applied to everything to make it work. And thankfully that's not a problem that I need to solve. Lol. And I do say that with a lot of respect for what it involves and means. It's a challenging request. But one worth solving. I think that DE would end up reaping benefits. This sort of change would make the game significantly more accessible. It would result in players spending more time in the game and being able to pick it up more often. I would literally be playing it right now if my Xbox character could be accessed on the Switch. My kids are tying up the Xbox and my Switch is just sitting there. 

22 hours ago, (PS4)shadowclasper said:

The issue is in the legal #*!%ery necessary to get Valve, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all to play nice with one another, and the necessary security between platforms, etc. They have to get everybody onto the same page and agreeing to work together before they can do that, because they have to get everything, from all platforms, working on all platforms.

Valve has been open to cross play and crosplatform gaming for a while. So his Microsoft. And Sony recently has as well. Nintendo is in the same boat for Microsoft. And etc. It's not about them getting those guys to play nice. It's more then Likely subject to coding and aspect that can be implemented across every platform. Right now warframe accounts on console are tied directly to the consoles servers and limitations. And not to mention variables like what if an account name is taken on pc and xbox by tow separate users etc

12 hours ago, Voltage said:

The problem with unifying the community is that while intentions are great, the value of Platinum will mostly break. PC has highly inflated values on Rivens due to discounts, higher player counts, etc. It's hard to bring these other platforms together when updates are staggered and the economy of consoles are separate from each other.

Oh don't come with the "economy breaks" problem... it's not an argument. The only thing that is really a problem lies on the side of Microsoft, Nintendo and such.

13 hours ago, Voltage said:

Even so, they may find a way to make plat platform locked (mostly to avoid me getting discounted plat on PC to buy tennogen on console for less than what I would have payed).

That way even if I have thousands of plat on PC I can't make use of them on consoles.

1 hour ago, (NSW)Fiftycentis said:

Even so, they may find a way to make plat platform locked (mostly to avoid me getting discounted plat on PC to buy tennogen on console for less than what I would have payed).

That way even if I have thousands of plat on PC I can't make use of them on consoles.

But they would also have to lock every tradeable item to the platform since you could otherwise buy discounted plat on PC, trade it for prime sets, switch to console, sell your prime sets and use the plat to buy tennogen.