Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Atlas needs a rework

Awazx

Atlas is a promising Warframe. He is a sorcerer / summoner, but fails to fulfill his role properly. The problems Atlas suffers are the same as other Warframes suffer; The current META makes your skills either redundant or inefficient.

There are 2 premises that I consider universally applicable and can serve to better explain the problem with Atlas and other Warframes:

PREMISE 1: Damage abilities are redundant when the damage is not accompanied by an additional benefit or utility. As an example, abilities 4 of Rhino and Saryn. Both abilities can hurt (Saryn being much more powerful) but they aren't used just because they hurt, but because of the way they hurt: Rhino manages to paralyze an entire map for 10 seconds and Sharyn manages to do massive damage over time, to while allowing you to focus on other things.
Conclusion: My Warframe must offer me benefits and utilities that go beyond harm. To hurt I have my weapons. If a skill hurts, how it hurts will define its usefulness or not.

PREMISE 2: Time management is vital. Warframe is a fast-paced game where a fraction of a second can be the difference between living or dying. Currently, the skills need to be instant launch. They are not useful, however uncomfortable, the skills that require loading times, nor is it efficient to use time to aim or reach the objectives.
Conclusion: In Warframe, time is gold. The faster a skill offers its benefits, the better.

Therefore, based on the 2 premises cited, I list the problems with Atlas's skills:

Skill 1 (Landslide): Does not comply with premise 1. It is a mainly damage ability, it does not offer real additional benefits.
Possible solution: Add mobility, immunity and CC. Allow the attack to move Atlas forward by an amount N of meters instantly. Make it invulnerable during animation. Have the impact knock down enemies in their path.

Skill 2 (Tecnonics): Does not meet premise 1 and 2. Rock-wall is not comfortable or efficient to use, as well as slow in real combat.
Possible solution: I can't find any that can save the ability. It probably requires a total replacement.

Skill 3 (Petrify): Does not meet premise 2. The ability is too slow to use and it seems that Atlas stops during use in combat. In addition, its limited range makes it unhelpful against large groups of enemies.
Possible solution: Increase the launch speed, increase its range and convert the ability to 180º CC in line of sight.

Skill 4 (Rumblers): This is the characteristic skill of Atlas. But it does not comply with premises 1 and 2. The Rumblers do little damage, move very slowly and also are weak in high-level play. In low game levels they are immortal and destructive, in level 90+ game they die too fast and their damage is no longer useful.
Possible solution: Rumblers no longer depend on time (same as Wukong Skill 1). The damage scales a% of the enemy's health. The damage they inflict heals them (theft of life).

TL; Dr: We talk about 2 premises: 1) The skills of a Warframe must offer additional utility to the damage. 2) The skills should allow instant use. The 4 Atlas skills do not meet premises 1 and 2.

Edited by Awazx

il y a 24 minutes, taiiat a dit :
  • Landslide literally already accelerates you towards the Enemies you're looking at.
  • Landslide literally already makes you invulnerable during the use of the Ability.
  • Landslide literally already Ragdolls Enemies (CC).

Thank you.

Please note that my post talks about your 4 skills, in addition to providing an overview of problems that affect other Warframes. Also, and sticking only to your answer:

Ladslide is a skill without real use. It does those 3 things, but wrong. In other words: it does not.

Edited by Awazx

10 hours ago, Awazx said:

Skill 1 (Landslide): Does not comply with premise 1. It is a mainly damage ability, it does not offer real additional benefits.
Possible solution: Add mobility, immunity and CC. Allow the attack to move Atlas forward by an amount N of meters instantly. Make it invulnerable during animation. Have the impact knock down enemies in their path.

It has all of those. But apparently, by your standards, it doesn't because it does it "wrong":

9 hours ago, Awazx said:

Ladslide is a skill without real use. It does those 3 things, but wrong. In other words: it does not.

I seriously don't understand this statement. If you find Landslide's applications of those 3 things to be wrong, then tell us what would be "correct".

Skill 2 (Tecnonics): Does not meet premise 1 and 2. Rock-wall is not comfortable or efficient to use, as well as slow in real combat.
Possible solution: I can't find any that can save the ability. It probably requires a total replacement.

Allow Atlas the ability to pick up his Wall and carry it on his back (somewhat similar to Volt's Shield), and allow him to place back down the Wall by tapping the ability again or holding it down to throw the Boulder. Then increase the damage of said Boulder, preferably by making it scale with enemies. And there, fixed for your 1 and 2 premises.

Skill 3 (Petrify): Does not meet premise 2. The ability is too slow to use and it seems that Atlas stops during use in combat. In addition, its limited range makes it unhelpful against large groups of enemies.
Possible solution: Increase the launch speed, increase its range and convert the ability to 180º CC in line of sight.

Petrify's casting time and range is fine, the only issue is the energy cost for how it currently functions. Maybe with your buffs (not entirely sure what launch speed means), it could stay at 75, but 50 or even 60 is more reasonable. And also "seems that Atlas stops during use in combat", that's like a majority of Warframe ability, at least Atlas keeps his momentum while casting it.

Skill 4 (Rumblers): This is the characteristic skill of Atlas. But it does not comply with premises 1 and 2. The Rumblers do little damage, move very slowly and also are weak in high-level play. In low game levels they are immortal and destructive, in level 90+ game they die too fast and their damage is no longer useful.
Possible solution: Rumblers no longer depend on time (same as Wukong Skill 1). The damage scales a% of the enemy's health. The damage they inflict heals them (theft of life).

Not sure about the "characteristic" skill of Atlas, but definitely agreed on the issues of Rumblers. The first two buffs are fine, but the life steal on hit seems unnecessary. Especially when you already made them duration-less and scale properly, and plus you can already heal them with Petrify. In fact that doesn't really solve the issue of their survivability, since if they have to rely on getting a hit, that's if they can get a hit in the first place.

• Like 2