Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How are Lich names generated?

Teratosapphic

45 minutes ago, Teratosapphic said:

I've been trying to look into this, but all I can find are compilations of silly names and unofficial name generators. Does anyone know the exact details?

well the game has a big list of first names and a big list of last names.

when generating a lich it chooses one of each at random from the coresponding list

2 minutes ago, Helch0rn said:

well the game has a big list of first names and a big list of last names.

when generating a lich it chooses one of each at random from the coresponding list

Are you sure? A lot of what I've been seeing are gibberish names, leading me to believe it's generated procedurally or piecewise.

Edited by Teratosapphic
Clarification

11 minutes ago, DarthIronclad said:

Most likely computer generated...and prob with little restrictions on what is can generate too...so is possible to have all those funny names we all know and get a good laugh at them now.

My question is how it's generated, though. Is it a form of neural net, is there a formula, etc.

1 minute ago, Teratosapphic said:

My question is how it's generated, though. Is it a form of neural net, is there a formula, etc.

Could just set theory (so some formula).

Each syllable can belong to a set, which is then only usable with other intersecting sets - which avoids getting dumb back to front words. tho can't really say i've seen enough names to know what they sound like. Only really seen my two plus a handful of others.

That would be my guess anyways.

My other guess is just a long list with every permutation for first/last name... but that's kinda boring.

• Like 1

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say it is RNG based.

Step 1:

RNG rolls for number of Syllables Ex: rolled 5

RNG rolls for a syllable for each number Ex: KA , DRU , BI, SHA , FE (Syllables already exist in a dictionary / repository - Sanskrit is a very good reference where every consonant can be paired with a vowel to create a syllable dictionary very easily)

RNG rolls for ordering (maybe? not really needed i guess) Ex: 3 , 4 , 1 , 5 ,2

End result:

BISHA KAFEDRU

I mean we dont have enough RNG in the lich system already , need more for sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

Could just set theory (so some formula).

4 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say it is RNG based.

My issue with both of these theories don't explain some of the names I've seen (e.g. "Bhkk" as a last name). My current pet theories are:
:
a.) Syllabic randgen: A list of syllables is polled multiple times, terminating one name after either a specified number of syllables or a terminator (blank syllable that ends the current name) is polled.

b.) Neural net: an NN (such as Torch-RNN) is fed a massive list of possible names as training data, then is asked to create one of it's own. This is much less likely in my eyes considering the sample size needed to make one that doesn't churn out hot garbage is massive, and I hesitate to think of the poor writer(s) tasked to come up with Grineer names until their brains leaked out their ears.

1 hour ago, Teratosapphic said:

My issue with both of these theories don't explain some of the names I've seen (e.g. "Bhkk" as a last name)..

As I mentioned it's a combination of consonant + vowels (not necessarily in English) , either of these can also be a null value. 

So it is possible to get two consonants in a sequence or two vowels in a sequence as part of the RNG combination.

Edited by 0_The_F00l
  • Like 1