Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do we not have cross save

(XBOX)TheKTDFuture

Tldr: even if cross save would take some work still we should be able to transfer from console to pc for the time being as destiny 2 has proved the console platforms will alow it and de has shown with pc to console migration that they have the means

I know before cross save or play was not possible due to console services not allowing them, but with destiny 2 cross save we now know that is no longer a excuse, so why doesnt every game have it. Expecialy warframe. I know with the current console generation completely outdated where new games not even at a consistent 30fps my self and many others have made the move to pc. I would love to play warframe again but how can i be asked to reinvest 1000+ hours and $500+ that i already have when other games have proved that this is no longer impossible. When on top of that on multiple occasions DE has shown that they are already able to copy game data from one platform to another. So even if cross save is in the works why are we not able to transfer our saves even if its just once for the time being.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (XB1)TheKTDFuture said:

Tldr: even if cross save would take some work still we should be able to transfer from console to pc for the time being as destiny 2 has proved the console platforms will alow it and de has shown with pc to console migration that they have the means

I know before cross save or play was not possible due to console services not allowing them, but with destiny 2 cross save we now know that is no longer a excuse, so why doesnt every game have it. Expecialy warframe. I know with the current console generation completely outdated where new games not even at a consistent 30fps my self and many others have made the move to pc. I would love to play warframe again but how can i be asked to reinvest 1000+ hours and $500+ that i already have when other games have proved that this is no longer impossible. When on top of that on multiple occasions DE has shown that they are already able to copy game data from one platform to another. So even if cross save is in the works why are we not able to transfer our saves even if its just once for the time being.

The current largest problem with cross save I think is the lack of version parity though it is currently being looked into as a possibility.

Long story short its hard to sync with all platform because of 

1 - sync updates 

2- contracts with Microsoft , Sony and Nintendo may have a monetary impact for lets say X% of the money spent for plat purchased on XBox goes to microsoft or something like that

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trunks013 said:

1 - sync updates 

2- contracts with Microsoft , Sony and Nintendo may have a monetary impact for lets say X% of the money spent for plat purchased on XBox goes to microsoft or something like that

Not just those reasons, but since exclusive frames like Excalibur Prime exists, cross save would be kinda dumb. The combined economy would crash and burn, along with the xbox/ps4 exclusive stuff (Jade, Obsidian, etc) makes it hard to do cross save.

18 minutes ago, (XB1)TheKTDFuture said:

cross save or play was not possible due to console services not allowing them

It wasn't possible for more significant reasons than that.

19 minutes ago, (XB1)TheKTDFuture said:

so why doesnt every game have it

It's not just something that intrinsically exists in every game. How do you think it happens? People have to build it, they have to make it actually work, and that is by no means a small task. Whether a platform allows it to happen isn't even the biggest factor in this situation.

15 minutes ago, (XB1)TheKTDFuture said:

de has shown with pc to console migration that they have the means

Two different things that can't be compared. PC to console works because both platforms have the same version of the game. That's the reason why the migrations were a one time deal. And the support has a lot of work when a migration happens because of items getting lost and other things happening. So opening up some sort of permanent migration wouldn't be all that great.

Other hiccups.

Tennogen since that is separate creators there are tons of agreements in place to let them be on different platforms so that would be an issue

Event specific items: Switch doesn't have ignis wraith, etc.

Since this is peer 2 peer that adds another layer of complexity to crossplay, hence why DE is only really thinking about Cross saves.

1 hour ago, (XB1)TheKTDFuture said:

You're not thinking...
Cross-save with Warframe isn't possible for two reasons.
1. Version differences. The PC version is, on average, one to two updates ahead of its' console counterparts.
2. Platform-specific cosmetics.

I know before cross save or play was not possible due to console services not allowing them, but with destiny 2 cross save we now know that is no longer a excuse, so why doesnt every game have it.

The fallacy here is thinking that the moment Destiny 2 was allowed to do it, every single multiplatform game in the universe was also allowed to and it's the devs' faults for not immediately jumping on their newfound freedom. As opposed to, you know, the far more likely scenario that Destiny is a privileged outlier and that Warframe has always been sneered at by publishers

• Like 1

I know before cross save or play was not possible due to console services not allowing them, but with destiny 2 cross save we now know that is no longer a excuse, 

Rules like that aren't a blanket statement. If one game allows it, it's because it was allowed in their contract. And if another (Warframe) doesn't allow it, that's also because of a contract. 

This thing with destiny shows that DE might be able to renegotiate their contract to allow it, they might have done so already. Who knows. 

2 hours ago, trunks013 said:

1 - sync updates 

For the first problem, DE should going forward release the build on all platforms simultaneously. I think 7 years in that should not be a challenge (says optimistically). Alternatively, items not available on your current platform should be grayed out. I know there will be other issues, like currency splits just happened with Vital Essene, but it something that DE will need to keep track of.

Second problem, I think they will have to make the cross saves not include platinum. Platinum to remain source exclusive. A bit cumbersome to the player, but worth it for cross save.

1 hour ago, (PS4)thegarada said:

For the first problem, DE should going forward release the build on all platforms simultaneously.

This means update frequency on PC goes way down. This also means a problem on any platform means a delay in all platforms. Also also, this means an increase in bugs making it to production that cannot be hotfixed nearly as fast.

The end result is an experience that is worse for everyone, unless your sole concern is time.

2 hours ago, (PS4)thegarada said:

For the first problem, DE should going forward release the build on all platforms simultaneously. I think 7 years in that should not be a challenge (says optimistically).

So you don't know that PC is a testing ground for updates. You clearly don't know that without PC testing updates you on console would have to suffer all the time because of game breaking bugs, because DE cant fix them the moment someone reports them. Sounds fun as hell.and that just because a minority of people wants cross-something...

Btw. I love it when people, like OP bring up that other games have cross-platform, so Warframe should have it aswell. I would like to bring up all the games that don't have cross-platform. Maybe DE should just do it the way these games are doing it.

Lots of excuses being thrown around on their behalf, yet other companies have done it. A long time ago. None of them are true.

It's just a matter of biting the bullet and doing it. It's about their willingness to support consumer friendly practices or their willingness to continue quadruple dipping.

There's no excuse for not supporting a singular global account system when your game is on 5+ platforms. Anything less should be seen as a money grab in 2019 and beyond.

It's like ripping a bandaid off. And it's their own fault. No revenue, big job, less time to focus on content but it needs to be done. 

Edited by IIDMOII

Just now, IIDMOII said:

Lots of excuses being thrown around on their behalf, yet other companies have done it. A long time ago. None of them are true.

It's just a matter of biting the bullet and doing it. It's about their willingness to support consumer friendly practices or their willingness to continue quadruple dipping.

You would need version parity for cross save to work. Warframe doesn't have version parity manly because of the odious process which is cert which limits hotfixes on consoles. That's really the discussion would it be nice if they had it sure but at the moment it's not possible.

29 minutes ago, IIDMOII said:

Anything less should be seen as a money grab in 2019 and beyond.

How many Players are playing the game on a regular basis on multiple platforms? Yes, a small minority. Maybe even smaller than small. So can we really call thafmoney grab? Especially considering there are only a few things that require platinum-usage in the game (Slots and maybe some potatoes...) and considering that you can always trade for plat...

Edited by WhiteMarker

15 minutes ago, IIDMOII said:

There's no excuse for not supporting a singular global account system when your game is on 5+ platforms. Anything less should be seen as a money grab in 2019 and beyond.

It's like ripping a bandaid off. And it's their own fault. No revenue, big job, less time to focus on content but it needs to be done. 

First, version difference makes crossplay impossible for now.

Second, the platinum market is different between pc and consoles and because of that all tennogen items can only be bought with real money on pc while consoles have a different system that allows platinum to have a stable price, so by trying to implement crossplay you either fully change the pc discounts or tennogen creators wont get any money.

Third, console specific stuff and Founders stuff. The console specific stuff doesnt really fit with crossplay same with excalibur prime and other founders stuff.

Just because other companies have done it doesnt mean that its good/doable in all cases, also most of the crossplay games are not consumer friendly (see dauntless, CoD, etc.) Also crossplay definitely comes with some strings attached(especially sony).

And I think by crossave they meant a way to keep different data in one account(so you can use the same account on all platforms but it keeps data separate)

5 hours ago, ChaosSabre said:

Probably to stop pc players to just buy cheap tennogen on console via plat.

Cross save would mostly be to keep progress, they've said stuff like Plat and Tennogen would most likely have to remain platform specific.

Some people are also mixing up having your progress saved for all platforms with being in a squad with people on multiple platforms. Cross save does not mean cross play, and games that have cross play don't all have cross save, you still have to start over for some of those games.

It’s just been accepted wisdom for a long time that none of the big three would play nice with each other and allow something like cross play/cross save to work. 

A few games have defied this trend recently, but DE was probabaly one of the many devs that never really considered it a possibility. I hope it happens, but it’s a feature that probabaly no one at DE was planning to or expecting to develop. 

Hope it happens, though. Limited account transfers at the very least would be nice.

To add on to the Platinum/market/trading sychronizing problem, cross platform progression will allow console players access to PC discounts while completely bypassing the console marketplace. Whatever you do can't stop this problem.

All you need to do, is get your daily login on PC, get a discount coupon of 50/70%, buy a ton of Platinum to stock up. When a new update rolls around, login on PC, buy the newly released items with your discount Platinum, then wait for the update to roll around on consoles and congratulations, you have all the new equipment immediately available to you at a discounted price while completely bypassing Sony/Microsoft.

The only way to prevent it, is to prevent items from sharing over between platforms, defeating it's own purpose. It's just a massive headache to solve all these loopholes when you're trying to merge 3 different systems and economies together without completely screwing over at least 1 of them.