Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PC) Empyrean: Railjack General Feedback Megathread

SilverBones

First of all: I appreciate all the work you guys do, I appreciate how fast you guys have been rolling out hotfixes. And this new game mode is honestly a lot of fun. 

With that being said, just tonight alone I've been having more issues than when empyrean originally launched. 

1) People I was hosting wouldn't get loot most games.

2) My game keeps crashing in the middle of an enemy swarm, while i'm hosting & piloting my railjack... In the middle of a mission, and causing server migration & issues that come along with that. 

3)Apparently the rare tileset (that provokes a quest, and I won't say anything else about it) isn't spawning anymore... and I missed the window because I was too busy trying to farm for a better bulkhead avionic systems... By the way, bulkhead aren't "aircraft electronics" AKA avionics. We shouldn't need to be farming for a "bulkhead mod" it should just be something we can upgrade/build.

4) Oh and on that subject, BULKHEADS ONLY APPEAR FROM LAVAN. I've done more than 60 earth missions, and i've gotten more than 30 bulkhead avionics, and NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THOSE was Vidar or Zetki. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE was lavan.  Seriously guys, health mods shouldn't be this rare. 

5) In solo mode, there's a bug that kept replenishing all my energy for the battle avionics. While I don't mind this, I just thought you guys should know about it before it gets abused/exploited.

6) Ramsleds will still target you/launch at a cloaked railjack. 

I can't play any public content, because the game keeps crashing.

I can't host any public content, because players won't get any loot. 

I can't solo any veil content, because I don't have a decent enough bulkhead.

I can't get a decent bulkhead, because only Lavan ones will drop for me--I don't think anyone has even seen a Vidar bulkhead mod.  I think some of your RNG on the avionics' manufacturers, might be bugged.

Oh and one more last thing. You guys should really consider adding vidar/lavan parts to more drop tables than just "mission rewards". Because zetki reactors kinda suck pretty badly... but zetki is pretty much the best for anything else, and it also drops a lot more frequently than anything else.

Edited by Maka.Bones
  • Like 1

A few things i noticed so far:

The Intrinsic to watch your team and support them with Abilities sounds nice at first...until you notice that the enemies are scaled up Grineer with even more Health and Armor than the regular ones.
This means that even high power abilities (like Vaubans Photon Strike) can only tickle them. There is just no way that they will deal damage. CC and Support Abilities are the only usable ones here.
So i dropped my Vauban again and use my Hildryn. She wont die from a single hit and her Ability kinda works...just not how i expected. I wish it would refill the Shields of the Player im watching, not my own.

Most Archwings are trash.
First i tried my favourite, Elytron, but he just doesnt work. His Nuke cant explode because of aaaaall the open space. His other abilities cant hit. Then i tried Odanata, Seeker Missiles, Shields...and they dont work either. What about Itzal? Only his Stealth Field is kinda usable. Amesha? Seems like the way to go...

Even Archwing Weapons are bad. As some others have noted already, Status is King. There is no reason to use any other Weapon. Pure Damage doesnt work, short range doesnt work. It would also be neat if the Gunnery Aim Indicator would work.

The only Archwing that is somewhat usable in Railjack right now is Amesha. And that is only because it fixes two major problems with Archwings in Railjack. One, enemies hit so hard that there is no other build in existence that won't get one shot from stray bullets. Two, since Archguns are no longer hit scan it is nigh impossible to hit anything without slowing the enemies down or adding a target lead indicator. On top of which, the range for all of the Archwing abilities are far too small for Railjack. Attempting to use AoE abilities with a Railjack that moves around so much is like trying to herd a cats high on speed. Archwings have needed a serious rework for a while now and Railjack only makes that more apparent.

Edited by Zyion
  • Like 3

Overall I'm loving it, but I do have a complaint. 

There's no sort of facing indicator while on a gun  turret. With ghost eye, this is kinda disorientating- and makes communicating with the pilot pretty difficult. It's the same thing when you're spotted for a cat launch. Can we get some sort of facing indicator so we can see where we're looking in relation to the rest of the ship? 

So, by its nature "feedback" tends to be "things we think need changing," because if things are fine then they're fine and you don't need to talk about them!

But I've actually been having a ton of fun with this update, and I figure that I might as well talk about some of the stuff that feels like it's really working, too:

• The dogfighting is really good! I feel like I've definitely played space games where the mouse-and-keyboard controls just don't work very well, but flying the Railjack is lovely. It goes just where I want without feeling sluggish or being prone to oversteering, feels like a great mix of the inertia of a big old ship and the handling you'd expect from something flown by space ninjas, the sound design that goes along with it is great, and even seeing my warframe pull at the controls along with me is a really nice touch.

Plus, the swooping of the Grineer fighters is a huge improvement over the "fly slowly towards you and shoot" behavior of previous Archwing enemies, and getting chased around by swarms of them is super fun.

(Like, we've been griping a lot about the progression, but the progression wouldn't matter if Railjack just wasn't fun enough to keep playing, and I was honestly a little worried going into this update that it'd feel kind of janky and undercooked... but it worked out, and the actual fundamental meat of the space battles is great!)

• It's a good teamwork model! I feel like Railjack crewing hits a great sweet spot around requiring multiple players to perform different roles in concert, but also making sure those roles are obvious and intuitive enough that you don't need another player constantly yelling at you for not doing exactly the right thing at the right time. When you end up on a crew, it's usually pretty easy to see what isn't being done, and to do it -- and it mostly isn't stuff that needs to be done perfectly in sync.

As a relatively solitary player who doesn't like talking, I was kind of worried going into this that there's a lot I wouldn't be able to do, but it's worked really well and it is genuinely neat doing one job and seeing everyone else do their thing around you.

• It adds a great sense of scale and context. In the same way that Cetus felt like a game-changer because suddenly there were people in this world (beyond the faceless, bodysuited cultists who hang around the relays), we've spent years repeatedly fighting our way through Grineer ships and asteroid bases, and it's actually really neat to approach these levels from the outside for once, and have a sense of why we're jumping into them to kill everyone and hit some switches.

And honestly, if you guys had said a few months ago that there'd be an Extra Space Segment before some missions, I'd be skeptical. But Railjack is fundamentally fun enough that I'm genuinely kind of excited to see it expand to be a delivery method for more sorts of missions, because flying your ship up alongside stuff and jumping aboard is just generally pretty neat -- and this feels like the sort of exciting expansion in scope that you guys were originally aiming for with Arcwhing, and it's awesome to see that finally being realized.

So, yeah, tl;dr, I'm actually having a lot of fun! It's really good space battles, and I'm really excited to see things stabilize and eventually broaden into a greater variety of space battles.

• Like 3

I've been unable to play consistently due to constant crashes in any Empyrean mission. After making 10 attempts I logged 8 of my games crashed mid mission, forcing me to lose all progress. Resources, Salvage, Intrinsics, etc. All progression shot because I can't reliably finish a mission without the game breaking. The game mode is extremely unstable it seems. Particularly on higher level mission where there's more going on all at once.

I only get the crashes in the Veil, this might have something to do with the crew ships firing off those really dang annoying healing spheres that bug so much out it's insane. The spheres themselves can only be seen by the pilot, only hurt by the pilot, act like nullifier bubbles and if not killed within a second or two of the actual spawning of them, they tend to make things impossibly tanky. Now, we still kill things through this, the combination of high damage railjack main guns and a debuff AW status gun makes short work of the bugged mobs. However they retain this regeneration rate endlessly. I only crash after a crew ship has been spawned and in specific only in the veil. It happens every other mission.

In addition the special effects on the bubbles both on deploy and detonation are absolutely blinding. You cannot see anything for a good four seconds, more if several ships are firing in staggered manners. It's downright headache inducing, not just annoying. Flashbangs aren't even this eyebleed. So, crashes abound making it impossible for me to actually play the hidden secret content, as I can't get past the first few crew ships reliably. Either I complete a mission just fine or the game completely breaks and I lose everything, forcing everyone else to use a random railjack in the party which is unlikely to be capable of handling the instance rather than keeping mine.

it kind of bugs me that players are so eager to battle other ships outside in their archwing. archwings are good for boarding crewship and eliminating them, but for anything else they are massively underpowered.

give archwing a charge time while docked within a railjack. a fully-charged archwing would have buffed archwing and weapon stats for a limited time and an archwing with no charge would be in a similar state that it is in now.

players would be more motivated to stay on the railjack with their crew while their archwing is charging, then use their fully-charged archwing with increased stats for a short period of time before returning for another charge period.

Edited by MysticDragonMage

1 hour ago, MysticDragonMage said:

it kind of bugs me that players are so eager to battle other ships outside in their archwing. archwings are good for boarding crewship and eliminating them, but for anything else they are massively underpowered.

give archwing a charge time while docked within a railjack. a fully-charged archwing would have buffed archwing and weapon stats for a limited time and an archwing with no charge would be in a similar state that it is in now.

players would be more motivated to stay on the railjack with their crew while their archwing is charging, then use their fully-charged archwing with increased stats for a short period of time before returning for another charge period.

Not sure that would solve the problem as the best way to take down Crewships is to board them. You could put an incentive for people to not use their Archwings as much (hell the current balancing does that plenty), but when jumping into an Archwing is so essential to complete missions, it isn't going to do much to keep people on the Railjack.

When forming groups, player should be given choice on wich ship to use, because right now people are FORCED to host if they want to use their ship. 

I can't host with my connection(and a lot of people can't either) so right now I built a space ship basically for nothing or to play a Co op mode, solo. 

It's good when everything is working. Very bare bones on content though. Just repeat exterminates. And interchangeable brief away team missions.
Looking forwards to when crew are added, so you can work more efficiently with some players missing.
And more types of objectives in space.

Really like the railjack tactical support option being based on the warframes in the group.
To expand on this, archwings could drop one ability (though all of ameshas are good...), then inheriting one ability from the warframe piloting it.
Also Liches inheriting one power from their progenitor warframe, to add more variety.

Recall being on the Omni is smart, one less item to clutter the wheel. And the omni is always top slot - 1 makes it in the same spot every game.

Railjack Appearance Customisation:
Railjack name text colour should be a separate colour channel. It started white then changes to tertiary at random? (probably when I selected the tertiary colour then reentered the railjack customisation)

The railjack name does not appear in missions.

Need multiple appearance slots for the railjack. If this exists already I can't see it.

It's too late this year, but next year the railjack could use some internal and external Christmas lights.

Avionics:
Can you please add effects when using the tactical avionics like fire suppressors. I kind of expected sprinkler effects near the fire instead of the fire just disappearing. But at least it works I guess?

Specific battle avionics going in specific slots is unintuitive. Please show all the battle avionics you have when clicking on a battle slot. But grey out the ones that don't go in the slot and give them a tooltip saying which slot they go in.

Railjack Controls:
F was my default button to try and push to exit a pilot / gunnery seat. Because it's also my go to button for dropping the mobile defence thing or excavation batteries.
I see you can rebind though, so that's great.
The auto roll level when driving the Railjack works well.

Railjack mechanics:
I'm glad the railjack doesn't die instantly. Cause that would be ass.
Though I wonder, how long can you stretch out the railjack at critical condition starting with a full repair gun and having 200/200 resources banked?
I mean, probably like 20 minutes right?

But in theory: your hp is limited by repairing, which is limited by revolite, which is limited by people making it from resources, which is limited by picking up enemy drops. So it's kind of like survival where you collect life support drops, except with 2 more steps.

Shields are still bad. But when the railjack has 1000+ armour what can you expect?
My only ideas are converting railjack armour to be some sort of external status resist stat (so minor breaches happen less often).
Without armour, shields and health would be more equal.
And you would need to reduce enemy damage to the railjack so the sudden loss of effective hp doesn't make the railjack unable to sustain a single hit.

Is there any difference between lavan and researched weapons? Besides the crafting cost? Not sure what the lavan weapons are really for?

Railjack recall returns you to the same spot you left from, which is good. Except for when you leave via the slingshot exit. You should return to the slingshot door if you leave by it.
If you manually reenter the railjack after exiting via the slingshot, you should come in via the bridge. Since the slingshot seems to be exit only.

Energy economy in railjack:
Energy economy of warframes and archwings is pretty restrictive without zenuric. Since there are less enemies to drop energy pickups for warframes and archwings.
Archwings are usually only used for a few seconds before entering a ship, so they don't get time to recharge energy by themselves. If Archwings recharged when you were not using it that would be nice.
Also, if your warframe recharged over time while on your railjack that would be nice.
In addition, the rapid switching when chain boarding crew ships is hell on warframes that need use buffs. Since they have to recast them every time they change between archwing and warframe. Can buffs persist in the background when not being used. Pausing buff timers would be even better, and you might not need to add the passive energy regen above.

I haven't been able to test the railjack energy economy. Cause I haven't found any battle avionics.
The tactical support powers are cheap, but are rarely used.
They are not really good to support the away team because there is a warframe right there, they probably have the situation handled.
I think the most useful thing currently would be giving your self Gara's shield when Gara is on the ship.
Maybe if there were defence away objectives, some extra cc could be useful? Or a tactical support enemy radar?

Archwing:
All the archwings except for Amesha need a balance pass. Or archwings in general reworked with modular archwing.

Please add inertia when moving at high speeds. So using blink doesn't interrupt your speed and using crouch doesn't immediately halt your speed.
Pressing backwards should still kill your inertia quickly like it does now.

Using aim down sights at high speed should enter a aim glide equivalent, it lets you move forwards while aiming in any direction.
if you are just hovering around and use right mouse, it's like standing still as a warframe and aiming.

Also, big problem, no archwing mods drop in railjack. So you have to be an existing player that has pre-farmed all the mods.
I guess having archwing mods drops in Railjack would make the old archwing missions obsolete. But would that really be a bad thing?
  - Cut up the old archwing missions and re-implement them into railjack as points of interest. (Interception, Capture the fast Grinner crew ship)
  - and when Corpus are added, raid the corpus space structure without your archwings (mobile defense / rush / sabotage) and deploy support abilities from the railjack / shoot into open areas in the corpus tileset with the railjack through the shields.
  - Maybe have like one archwing node on each railjack planet. So people that just want to grind archwing can. But remove the missions from the normal starmap.

Other:
wishlist: able to mark targets with g through the ship windows. If I can see them, I should be able to mark them. Even though there is trickery involved in getting the ship windows to work.
wishlist: able to scan targets with the synthesis scanner through the ship windows. Even though there is trickery involved in getting the ship windows to work.
wishlist: railjack arsenal works between missions. Without needing to dock. (Then I guess add open world arsenals between bounties on the plains)
wishlist: mission around a destroyed relay (if there is one around the planet)

Railjack Instruction Manual:
Where is it. There is hardly any in game information about:
The new damage types.
Where is the repair tool?
Where do you get battle avionics?
Where do resources drop?
Scanned fighters don't appear in the codex.

UI:
The new UI seems to be very minimalist. It would help if the railjack ui exposed more information.
Also, reminder: Item labels should be enabled by default.

Resources and the UI:
The rare resource popup is now way too overused. Previously it was used just for the one or two rare resources in a mission.
Now EVERY SINGLE RAILJACK RESOURCE USES IT. Creating a huge backlog of resource popups when people are collecting things.
The rare resource popup also blocks your vision of the secondary railjack weapon, so you can't see how many shots you have left.

Please demote the majority of railjack resources to normal pickups.

However, It's sort of important to track the influx of craftable resources for the fire extinguisher / ammo etc.
When you pick up crafting resources that go in the forge, there needs to be a new minimal UI that shows how how much the forge is holding and how much was just picked up.
Like a small grid (example if you picked up cubic diodes):
[Cubic Diodes icon] 25 + 25
[Pustrels icon]     15
[Copernics icon]    70
[Carbides icon]     45
So you can see what you just picked up, and what the current total is (cubics went from 0 to 25). So you can tell you can craft repair juice now.

When you cash out the forge resources, they pop up as normal resource collection (centre of the screen) and show the forge grid UI emptying out.

Railjack UI:

Show railjack status effects as debuff icons in the top right when you are in the railjack seats. Like 2x fire, 1x breach 1x borders etc.
This would be helpful in knowing if people are actually handing the issues rather than waiting for Cy to update you.
And if you should use your tactical avionics to cure the ship.

Also maybe add the ship status effects to the warframe UI railjack monitor as well.

Knowledge of where people are in the railjack should be more obvious without having to type or reach for the very far away L button which prevents you from doing anything while it's up.
- As a pilot I would REALLY like to know if a person is in the slingshot or the forward cannon. So I know to point at the crew ships.
- As a pilot I sort of like to know like to know if people are in the left or right turrets, so I know how much firepower I can expect to be emitted from the railjack when deciding how to maneuver.
- As a non pilot, I want to be able to know if there is a pilot on the railjack. Maybe put their name next to the health bar.

Show the name of the turret you are using in the bottom left near the picture, similar to how the name of your equipped warframe weapon is displayed in the bottom right. The pictures mean nothing. When joining a railjack I have to guess what type of weapon it is based on the projectile and by how much damage it's doing.
- Actually, why is the position of your in use weapon different between the railjack interface and the normal interface? Shouldn't they both be on the right to be consistent? Or update the old interface to put the weapon on the left like the railjack?

When in a pilot or turret seat, you can't tell if enemies are shooting your physical body. All the UI feedback for that disappears. And if you have rank 2 gunner, you can't even see the enemies on the turret.

Cy's voice callouts:
If the status ailments of the ship are on the screen in the UI, Allow CY to cut off status updates if a more important thing happens.
If Cy can't interrupt himself, he starts to lag behind what's happening when a lot of different events start happening.

Command callouts:
Also, since Cy talks constantly, its easy to tune him out. This makes the voice commands less useful.
I've never seen people use the voice callouts.
It takes too long to press L (pause a second while it loads), figure out which player you want to send the order to, click on the tiny command button then find the order on the wheel.
Maybe hold L should bring up a order wheel that sends to the crew instead of just one person.
I think the top callouts would be:
  - Deal with the crew ships
  - Need more munitions / dome shield
  - Start away team
  - Away team waiting on railjack.
I kind of want the callouts to be the sending warframe face, with a new unique version of stalker whispers.
The whispers would help the order stand out against Cy's constant talking, But you would have to look over to the message to see what the order was which would be a big downside. Maybe put the order message in the middle of the screen?

Railjack customisation UI:
The avionics icon designs need to make it clear what is a battle avionic, what is a tactical avionic and what is a integrated avionic. Different border colours maybe?
Also, the manufacturers being represented by circles, lines or arrows is pretty subtle.

In the railjack armaments. Need to be able to sort by name of weapon. Ignoring the manufacturer. So it's easier to compare weapons of the same type.
Actually, there was no need to compare two items before, since all the weapons were functionally different or one was strictly better. Now since you have weapons that are identical except for their numbers you need a way to see both stats on the same screen side by side.

Make the 'restoring salvage' use a more normal ui for building. Instead of the clan contribution UI. Since only one person can contribute, there is no point to contributing partial amounts.
There is no indication about when you are going to hit the limit of scrapped components. In games like dynasty warriors or with warframe rivens you needed to choose what to scrap or keep after a mission if you ran out of space.

Allow drag and drop avionics to move them around the slots (since different slots may have different upgrade levels, it matters). So it works like modding a warframe. Why would you make it work differently?
Improve how to tell how upgraded mod slot and the slotted mod are in the railjack customisation interface. The [1] on the end of the mod is inconsistent with the dots the mod displays when upgrading the mod.
Maybe have the mod slots dots on the top of the slot (when upgrading and when slotting) and the mod dots on the bottom, so it looks like normal mods having dots on the bottom.
Or have both on the bottom in one line, with a different colour for mod slot upgrades and mod upgrades.

When in the dry dock, you can't see your group like you would in your orbiter. Please allow you to see your group in the dojo. Currently it looks like everyone leaves as soon as you touch down.

Forge UI:
Remove the hold to click when building stuff at the forge. It just wastes time.
Make turn the bottom part of the ui red after you create something and the forge in on cooldown.

To show the cooldown of each forge at a glance while walking into the room:
A forge on cooldown has a series of lights running up the sides of the rails the boxes travel. The lights turn off (or change colour) as the time you can use it again gets closer.
So you can see the state of the forge hopefully from anywhere in the room.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bregastor said:

When forming groups, player should be given choice on wich ship to use, because right now people are FORCED to host if they want to use their ship. 

I can't host with my connection(and a lot of people can't either) so right now I built a space ship basically for nothing or to play a Co op mode, solo. 

Did you try going to dry dock and calling your ship in? i'm asking cuz I haven't had the opportunity to try that.

SPOILER ALERT

Spoiler

The Sentient Ship(?) on Veil Proxima has a very low spawn rate. It took me 30 tries of constant aborting to get 1 to spawn and that was 4 hours ago. I took another 40 attempts recently as of the time I am writing this and didn't get a single spawn. This process can be very tedious especially you need it to start the "Erra" quest and farm the required parts for "Shedu". 

Please increase the spawn rate or make the ship a guarantee spawn on Ruse War Field the highest level node.

Edited by DrivaMain

I was watching brozime's stream the railjack and he mentioned how numbers can really affect the enjoyment of a game. He was talking about the repair costs of railjack parts. But I noticed that the railjack is pretty weak starting out, so much so that people start by moving the railjack to the edge of the map and using their arching to complete the mission. The numbers on stats with jailjack and enemies is not right. The basic version of railjack should be as strong as a fully leveled and modded archwing, and archwing weapons, forcing the use of railjack as intended. As the railjack missions get harder, the fully modded archwing would be useless in this case, but that can be fixed if railjack has upgrades you could get that affect archwing in this new mode, a fifth upgrade tree. 

• Like 1

So, unfortunately DE, despite having made an amazing new game mode, you have repeated mistakes that you make time and time again. Railjack damaging abilities do not scale. Missile Volley, after earth, does nothing to anybody, not even the basic fighter craft. Much like archwing, ability damage is entirely useless.

Also i just visited the sentient ship, new tileset looks freakin amazing, great work!

We can STILL use a new Vacuum here. 
In the middle of a battle you have two options: 
 - Using the same ammount of time you needed to defeat the enemy trying to find where they ships exploded after all the dramatic going around they do when you kill them
 - Follow every ship you kill one by one and wait till they explode before going to kill the next one 
And you DONT DARE to use the Misile Volley, you probably wont even find a lot of the loot you couldnt track. 

We have maps hundreds of times bigger in a linear way... but we have to go loot up and down also, so we probably have a few THOUSANDS times more space to cover when looting... and if you go too fast with your archwing you wont get the items, or with your slow AF ship wich will end up using all his booster in a few meters and also having to pass item by item to loot them. 

Sugestions:
 - New Vacuum system: if you dont want to upgrade the loot ranges too much (cause seems like that in the hotfix you made), at least give a new Archwing Mod and Avionics that REALLY increase the vacuum range. So, if you want to "bargain" some stats on you battle side for some loot power (maybe in a easy map you want to farm or something like that) you dont have to go and step over every item dropped. 
 - Recover some of the "energy transfer" system you showed to us: maybe after you finished a mission you could transfer all your shields and weapons energy to you engine so, at least for the afterbattle looting you have "infinite" boosting with the Railjack. 
 - Maybe a "Loot Sonar" that you can use to mark the loot like the enemy ships so you can find the loot wich can be all over the map. Something like, you use it, it goes and marks the loot in space in a wide range so you can go get it. Maybe the marks can show the item "colour" (mods, wreckage, resources, rare resources) and keep the marks for 10-30seconds so you can check it without making you crazy looking everywhere and then dissapear till you use the sonar again. 

Sorry for the things that doesnt look like writen in english, i did my best... i have to sleep. 
I noticed the potential of this content, i hope you manage to show it at its full. 

I played last night after the second Tuesday hotfix, and something is off with enemy loot/material drops. For one thing, railjack vacuum doesn’t seem to work consistently (sometimes it sucks in everything, other times a mod will be on my windscreen and I can’t pick it up). For another, it seems that enemies aren’t dropping loot all the time. 

And let’s talk about the avionics drop rates again. The boost to drop rates is good (From 10 to 15%), but I feel that this still isn’t high enough considering there’s a good chance that the avionics will just float off into space. I’d propose something between 30% and 50% because core avionics, battle avionics, and tactical avionics just won’t drop, or when the do, they float away.

Keep in mind that locking tactical and battle avionics behind really low RNG rates is like locking Archwing abilities or sentinel/pet precepts behind RNG. 

An alternative would be to have something like what was shown in Tennocon. Perhaps there could be a spy/cache hunting mission that could have tactical/battle avionics as the reward. It would be like stealing technology from the grineer. That way, we could actively work for them instead of just hoping that they drop and they float in the right direction for us to grab them.

Another alternative would be to have tactical and battle avionics researchable by clans (I.e. researching new railjack tech). Being able to purchase these for even a high cost would protect against bad RNG while still leaving the chance to randomly find the mods. 

Keep up the good work!

More things i experienced:

Have you guys tried to scan the enemy spacecraft? The way they are fast and always moving and changing position, and the fact that if you stand still, you are dead, makes scanning them EXTREMELY PAINFUL in every sense. Can i have a scanner add-on for my railjack? Or passive avionics for that?

If i get a bad host, my gunnery target lead works if the host's connection allows. And i also leave the gun or pilot seat only when same internet allows. If not, i am thrown back into the seat regardless of pressing X or not.

When i'm at gun or helm, i have no clear indication if a crew ship has a team mate inside. Makes me waste time leaving station only to discover that a team mate was already inside. The enemy thanks my sloppiness. Or this already exists and bad internet turns this off too?

Edited by renleech

My own Railjack is finishing up it's last 12 hours of construction, so I can't speak to the costs of upgrading etc. However, I've made it to Saturn playing with PUGs and love Empyrean so far.This is an incredibly crew/group focused mode, which I've found surprisingly enjoyable, even just PUGging it. I almost always feel like I'm doing something, not just tagging along after a nuke frame on a mission as we run to the exit.

The main problem, honestly? Is that unless you read the patch notes or looked up tutorials, you don't know what to do. I couldn't even find how I was supposed to level up my intrinsics until I went to change my glyph on a whim. I've popped in on Railjacks before where it's clear no one has been making revolite or munitions, even though both were in heavy use, and there were plenty of resources in the forge. I've seen people making posts about never realizing what Avionics do, or how to upgrade, or- or- or-.

This is an entirely new gamemode, so of course we're having growing pains, which is what I suspect some of the resource frustration is. If you're like me and play without a ship of your own, you get a chance to stockpile a good amount of resources before having to dump them into research and repair costs, but players flying their own ships are just currently overwhelmed. But more of these growing pains could be softened by having a clear tutorial, a codex entry, something to let players know what they at least can do and where.

I'd argue that the second biggest problem is how what information we have is communicated, aka the UI. I often run double duty as a gunner/engineer, but that means that if I'm gunning I can easily miss what's happening on the ship unless I keep the otherwise distracting Tactical UI open to watch for hazards. I'm glad that we have a new icon for crew ships, since I know not to waste my time shooting at those, but something similar for say, those annoying little ramsleds  or ways to distinguish what's coming at me and how far it is would be nice. I'd also like something to let me know which way the Railjack itself is facing- that would let me more clearly communicate problems or dangers, or know what it is my pilot might be focusing on with their guns. There's a lot happening at any given time, which is exciting and fun! But also sometimes overwhelming, because there isn't a lot of ways to prioritize what information you are getting or what you're trying to pay attention to. Heck, even trying to keep track of squadmates without stopping to chat can be hard, because I don't have time to spin around and check markers or look at the Tactical UI to see if they're close to a hazard and (hopefully) repairing it. I do love that the icons at the bottom will list what they are doing at positions though (piloting, Archwing, gunner, etc).

59 minutes ago, Skaleek said:

So, unfortunately DE, despite having made an amazing new game mode, you have repeated mistakes that you make time and time again. Railjack damaging abilities do not scale. Missile Volley, after earth, does nothing to anybody, not even the basic fighter craft. Much like archwing, ability damage is entirely useless.

If anything, they've gone backwards here.  Well of Life may be a completely useless ability, but I'm not negatively impacted by its mere existence.  Railjack abilities, however, compete with mods for our very limited avionics pool, and if they end up being useless, most people aren't even going to bother equipping them.

• Like 1

I realize I have focused on a lot of the opportunities for improvement, but let’s take a minute to look at what Empyrean does right!

1. Everyone on the team has something to do most of the time, and no role is worthless. All the roles are fun in my opinion, too!

2. Missions are exciting and dynamic! Fighters are evasive but not bullet sponges (for the most part). You can take them down if you aim properly. Outriders are fun to fight because they take some skill to take down. Crew ships are a threat that cannot be solved by pure DPS, and taking them out is enjoyable.

3. Slingshots, heavy artillery, piloting, gunning, transitioning to and from archwing all feel really nice. The animations and sound are really pleasing.

4. Missions seamlessly flow from one to the next. 

5. Stuff looks cool. The UI looks nice (it’s not the most functional, but it does look nice).

6. Most frames can do well in this mode. 

7. Tough enemies give us a reason to bring good gear. 

8. The difficulty is meant for more experienced players instead of newbies.

9. The music is fantastic.

10. It’s just fun!

11. The combat is a unique direction much different than anything seen in the game’s past. It’s something new and exciting to do!

These are just some of what railjack does right, and this is why I play the mode! I hope that as we move forward, more progress towards universal quality will be made!

10 hours ago, Zyion said:

The only Archwing that is somewhat usable in Railjack right now is Amesha. And that is only because it fixes two major problems with Archwings in Railjack. One, enemies hit so hard that there is no other build in existence that won't get one shot from stray bullets. Two, since Archguns are no longer hit scan it is nigh impossible to hit anything without slowing the enemies down or adding a target lead indicator. On top of which, the range for all of the Archwing abilities are far too small for Railjack. Attempting to use AoE abilities with a Railjack that moves around so much is like trying to herd a cats high on speed. Archwings have needed a serious rework for a while now and Railjack only makes that more apparent.

Odonata Prime is tanky enough to take a few hits, as long as you gtfo as soon as you see a homing missile warning.

Odonata's (4) has a decent range and will freeze enemy fighters in place for 10 seconds, making them easy to pick off with archguns.