Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PC) Empyrean: Railjack General Feedback Megathread

SilverBones

I have played railjack since the day it was released and have gotten up to 8599 intrinsics and completed basically all the nodes. My feedback will be based on the experience I've gained so far and be split in the following categories:

I. Repeated old mistakes

II. Intrinsics and the Cooperative Experience

III. Other Suggestions

IV. Closing

I. Repeated old mistakes

The biggest fear I had with railjack was how connected to the base game it would be. As I feared, it's currently more disconnected than archwing. Railjack has it's own resources and gear with only forma and three weapons being capable of affecting the rest of the game. In other words, it feels more like a side game where you'd only play railjack to progress through railjack. Similarly, archwing was released in a way that you'd only need to run archwing to level archwing or to get archwing specific mods. It wasn't until later where DE had to make it so you need archwing for Uranus or use archwing gear in open world because the gamemode was already dying. Archwing had such a small player base because everyone had everything already or it was seen as not being relevant for anything outside of archwing. This caused archwing to receive very little updates in gear where there's still only 4 archwings and you can fit almost all of the archwing mods into the 8 slots. Why waste time developing new content for a dead gamemode? I'm worried that railjack will fail in the same manner. If railjack is to succeed, every bit of effort will have to go into developing new content specifically for railjack even if players complain at first (which they already are and will continue to do for the next year).

Isolated gamemode aside, the gamemode itself repeats several old problems that DE struggled with in the past. First is a balance problem with armor scaling which the railjack has very little answers to other than brute force. It is more or less damage 1.0 all over again. Status effect approach on railjack is too unreliable and there is not much we can do about it. In other words, railjack is basically at the stage of warframe before the tigris prime or dual stat mods exist where boltor prime reigns supreme with a full elemental build (about 3-4years ago). Furthermore, battle avionics have a severe damage falloff and there isn't much you can do about it because there are no mods to increase overall performance of those abilities. Because of this, CC battle avionics reign supreme much like Vauban before damage builds for warframes like Saryn could reliably kill enemies before they had a chance to do anything. Again, it's like we've regressed 4-5 years. People are used to killing enemies easily without having to rely on completely debilitating enemies. Having to force them to go back to those dark times is asking for trouble. At the very least, make it so the exterminate objective isn't on every node and that there is another approach other than being forced to  murder everything. Personally, I'd like to at least see battle avionics changed to be more utility than damage where things like seeker volley will remove some armor or disable engines.

Second is the lack of explanation for almost all the things you would have to do in railjack that most players wouldn't even know if they didn't follow the livestreams or witness/hear from other players. This is a repeat of the new player experience where the entire community is technically a new player in this new gamemode. How would a player know to board a crewship if they didn't see it during a devstream? How would a player know what any of the new damage types did or convert to if they didn't read the patch notes? I even have to explain how to repair the ship by selecting the omni that is discretely placed in the gear wheel when you start the mission. What makes this worse is that there is a crewship in the very first node and it can kill a default railjack in seconds. It's like meeting Lt. Krill armed with a corrupted bombard's ogris in the next room after coming out of the cryopod when you start a new account. Don't know that you're supposed to shoot the pipes on his back? Better figure that out or else you're dead in the next few seconds! Watch out for those homing rockets so you can dodge! Oh wait, you have to earn the ability to dodge those rockets(instrinics), whoops guess you're just dead!

Then there are the mandatory avionics where you can't really survive or enjoy the game unless you have specific gear like a decent amount of avionic capacity, damage avionic, health/armor avionic. Instead of having avionics be about customizing how we play the game, it's actually more restrictive than ever because most of us can only fit hyperstrike, hullweave, bulkhead, and maybe a tactical and/or battle avionic assuming we've found any of them because all of this AND avionic capacity is locked behind really bad RNG. There are probably more old mistakes but I will leave just these three as they're the biggest problems I have with this update and it will probably plague this gamemode for several years as most of them are still unsolved in the base game.

This section should technically be in the intrinsics megathread but its so integral to the railjack gameplay that it is weird that it is in its own thread to begin with. When I first heard of intrinsics, I thought it would be DE's response to mandatory mods by having performance stats be moved into a more reliable progression system. Instead it is more like earning the ability to sprint, aim down sights, or even reload. Imagine the base game where you have to earn those abilities. Granted, most of the basic mechanics are earned relatively early on, it shouldn't even be earned to begin with. A lot of these "skills" should be available to the player by default. Instead, the intrinsics system should give performance stats with diminishing returns per level. For example, gunners should have increased critical and status chance per level with large boosts early on and small boosts by the end. Pilots would have evasion and battle avionic cooldown while engineers should have faster forge and tactical avionic cooldown. Tactical should just be removed and replaced with an interceptor intrinsic that should inherit all of the archwing boosts and be specifically for away teams that are constantly in archwing mode. Why does pilot even have an archwing boost? It doesn't make any sense.

As for the roles themselves, it's definitely overcrowded. There are too many interaction required parts of the railjack. I believe having two gunners is excessive and unnecessary. It honestly feels like it should be a pilot and a single wingman gunner like the crewship. Furthermore, having the forward artillery be a separate seat from the pilot is really annoying. It feels like the forward artillery is supposed to be used by the pilot and not a secondary gunner because it is in a separate room from the gunner seats and it is locked to the ship's direction which only the pilot has control over. The forward artillery should just be the pilot's exclusive tool while munitions and BOTH wing turrets should be the wingman's responsibility. The engineer, on the other hand, is normally busy dealing with boarders, common breaches and other status effects, and the forge which is on the opposite side of the ship. Therefore, I find it rare for an engineer to have enough free time to be a spare gunner. This leaves there being a 4th slot which is normally someone in archwing boarding crewships and it seems almost mandatory so it's really odd that it isn't its own intrinsic.

Then there is the actual cooperative experience and it is a terrible mess. It's to a point where it is actually better to solo than deal with randoms. Because the ship uses consumables that you build with resources both during and outside of missions, it is possible for players to deliberately waste them. Furthermore, only the host is really affected by this as it is their ship. So what some players can and will do is empty out your ammo and energy for literally no other reason but to make the game less enjoyable for the rest of the party. I have had people join the party and spam the battle avionics at the end of a mission when everything is dead already before the party heads to drydock so that I would have to build it all again. They can literally sabotage the host. Added to that, some randoms can also snatch the pilot seat from host and drive the railjack right next to a shipkiller platform. No one can do anything about that because it isn't possible for the host to kick someone out of the party or forcefully take the wheel. At essentially any given point of time, a person can deliberately fail the mission for the entire party. Because of this, some people opt to solo or only play with their friends.

Finally, we have the most troubling problem: dying content. This is actually a repeated old problem but it has a lot to do with the cooperative experience. Currently, railjack uses the same approach to missions as the starchart except with two major flaws in that all the missions are more or less the same per planet and railjack is meant to be a cooperative experience. So once the majority of the community runs through all the nodes, they have little to no reason to go back and do the easier nodes. So what ends up happening is there is a massive barrier to entry and that the early nodes will turn into complete ghost towns like in the normal starchart except worse because there is at least a reason to do missions like mercury capture. There is no real reason to run posit cluster more than once because it is no different than phanghoul satellites which is a little bit down the road. So people that will be starting railjack won't have many people to play with unless they're in an active clan with people willing to go back and help them. However, who wants to be that person being carried essentially? Already we have people who don't want to do railjack because they don't want to hold people back so they'll wait till they think they're prepared. Then by the time they start, there is no one to play the early railjack missions so they'll try to solo those too because their pride prevents them for asking for help. Then they give up and quit warframe. Meanwhile, people at the end of railjack don't gain those new players steadily enough while people stop playing railjack because they managed to get everything. It's a recipe for disaster; railjack will die unless this issue is addressed. I would recommend removing the railjack starchart altogether and making it an alert system where each player has randomly generated missions per proxima and their end mission rewards explicitly shown in the navigation menu(guaranteed avionics for early railjack missions like nightmare mods for nightmare missions in normal starchart). Please use Helldiver's lobby system as an example.

III. Other Suggestions

I would personally recommend changing the payload mechanic to more of a buff system where we have long cooldowns instead of ammo for munitions and forward artillery where engineers can reduce that cooldown substantially for a certain amount of time with the forge or tactical avionics. That way we can remove the loss aversion of using up consumables and regretting our spending choices. What ends up happening with consumables is that people will either horde it and never use it because they're afraid there will be a time where they'll need it even more or the exact opposite where they're afraid of missing good opportunities of using them and end up wasting everything. People will feel some level of regret whether or not they use those consumables.

Furthermore, the whole revolite system feels poorly considered. It's hard to justify repairing minor breaches and hazards when that same revolite can be saved for a critical hull failure. I would like to see this changed so that omni is FREE to use on hazards while critical hull breaches can only be sustained for so long. It should be like borderlands where if you get downed, you can be revived but if you get downed again too soon you'll have less time to be revived. However, the hull should be fully restored from a critical hull breach with the use of resources at the forge.

Aside from the payload, I would like to see railjack better connected to the rest of the game by adding more archwing/archgun mods to the droptables of fighters and crewships. This way railjack can revive the dead gamemode that is archwing. We already know that squads will be allowed to connect in the future so that ground teams can interact with railjack. I would like to see both parties have SUBSTANTIAL incentive because we're already seeing people turtle up into solo antisocial mode and we don't even have command intrinsic. Railjack needs to have good rewards that affect all parts of the game to be successful. It cannot afford to be restricted by concerns of balance with the base game.

IV. Closing

I actually enjoyed railjack quite a lot. I see that it has a lot of potential if DE decides to fully pursue it but it is certainly in a vulnerable state. Dropping this update right before a holiday where DE is unable to immediately fix many of the problems was probably a mistake but I'm hoping that railjack can recover from this. It definitely has many more problems than the ones I've address but most of them are bug fixes and number balancing that are obviously going to be looked at and fixed once everyone is back from holidays. Warframe has definitely suffered from worse and I'm sure by now that most of us expected many of the problems with this update. Railjack is certainly an ambitious move from DE and I am actually quite surprised they managed to get this gamemode to work as much as it is on the mess of a game that warframe has grown to be. I fully expect them to pile all their resources onto this project so we can safely assume that things will improve. Thank you for your hard work and may the next year be good.

• Like 2

A few more bits of feedback.

1) Please make it so that when a number of us leave the railjack from the same sphincter, we don't compete to be extruded. It's kind of annoying that we have to step off the pad and then step back on the pad, especially if all members are evacuating from the ship and we have to do the shuffle over and over.

2) Make it so it's less of a pain to find the Sentinel Anomaly ship thing's bung so we can enter it without taking forever to find it. There is so much red haze everywhere that it's hard to line up where the entrance is. Also, pilots often park in dumb places so that it's extra hard to find without leaving the ribcage and finding the ring.

Topic: Vidar Carcinnox MK III Bugs

PROBLEM #1 : The "Item Picture" of this Railjack Turret when you see in your inventory interface while customizing your Railjack shows Photor / Pulsar picture instead of the original picture "Carcinnox" Turret.

PROBLEM #2 : When you look this MK III turret installed in your Wing Section of you Railjack, it shows the "Apoc Turret" textures/appearance instead of "Carcinnox Turret" textures/appearance.

Topic: -General Railjack Weapon/Turret Related bugs-

PROBLEM #1 : ALL weapons Turrets and ALL Ordinaces & Rocket Weapons keeps resetting to it's default color after you customize your Railjack Color settings, once you do missions or exit your dojo.

PROBLEM #2 : ALL Turret Color settings you did during railjack color customization don't appear in your Cockpit / Side Turret interface view during mission at all.

Please kindly fix this issues ASAP, it makes the graphics section and item  development in this part  iscontent done by amateurs imo, and i know DE is not, so please, FIX it ASAP. 

Thank you and more power to DE.

Another bit of feedback, if we're to use the slingshot and we can't skip past the cutscene...(well even if we could...) DE, could you keep the enemies to kill us before we can even do anything? You did this on the Ropalist too (unless you've fixed it) and it's kind of lame. I don't know how many times I've used the slingshot and it's a crapshoot whether or not I'll be downed immediately after the forced watching of the cutscene... Same with leaving the crew ships, etc. If we need to watch the cutscenes, give us a second or two of invuln so we can at least try to move or cast a skill before taking damage. OR alternatively...we get some lightning aura in the cutscene...why not stun the npcs in the entry room with an electric proc for a few seconds?

I keep it simple while Railjack flying is very fluid,there is no real tutorial what wich functions do(aka grid,avionics upgrades),revolite cost and disasters that pollute our ship should be changed aka 3 steps of disaster yellow,orange,red (yellow= nothing to be alarmed for either 1 revolite or self repair when no dmg taken,orange = needs attention 5 revolite reduced hp if breach,hp decay if fire, shield decay and capacity reduction when electrical systems go haywire,red one = needs prompt attention timer starts from 90 seconds and each additional red one reduces timer by 2 secs).

Archwings are clearly inferior to enemy interceptors,they need interceptor mode with same shooting mode as raijlack and better speed,shields,armor but reduced health(archwing could look more like spaceplane in this mode.

Matchmaking should  be improved by locking ordnance unless owner of ship says so,will prevent grievance of some funny players.

Give kuva lich super interceptor and let him lend us help when we are in need or gives us trouble depends if we convert him or deal with him.

Remove extractors from map mode put it into railjack so we can slingshot them so they function as resource collectors then collect them after mission is complete(help conserve time on doing such trivial matters)

Destroying crewships shouldnt be only exclusive for either boarding or main cannon,enemy should have too 3 steps of disaster with limited repair capability.

Exiting Railjack with archwing should be without cutscene but more like we do that in pseudo open world mode

3D map for archwings and railjack  would be very nice.

Again is too separate from mainstream mode

Overral I give RJ 60/100 (expected archwing intial release level aka 40/100),

Edited by Syq111

21 hours ago, Adenela said:

I have played railjack since the day it was released and have gotten up to 8599 intrinsics and completed basically all the nodes. My feedback will be based on the experience I've gained so far and be split in the following categories:

I. Repeated old mistakes

III. Other Suggestions

IV. Closing

I. Repeated old mistakes

The biggest fear I had with railjack was how connected to the base game it would be. As I feared, it's currently more disconnected than archwing. Railjack has it's own resources and gear with only forma and three weapons being capable of affecting the rest of the game. In other words, it feels more like a side game where you'd only play railjack to progress through railjack. Similarly, archwing was released in a way that you'd only need to run archwing to level archwing or to get archwing specific mods. It wasn't until later where DE had to make it so you need archwing for Uranus or use archwing gear in open world because the gamemode was already dying. Archwing had such a small player base because everyone had everything already or it was seen as not being relevant for anything outside of archwing. This caused archwing to receive very little updates in gear where there's still only 4 archwings and you can fit almost all of the archwing mods into the 8 slots. Why waste time developing new content for a dead gamemode? I'm worried that railjack will fail in the same manner. If railjack is to succeed, every bit of effort will have to go into developing new content specifically for railjack even if players complain at first (which they already are and will continue to do for the next year).

Isolated gamemode aside, the gamemode itself repeats several old problems that DE struggled with in the past. First is a balance problem with armor scaling which the railjack has very little answers to other than brute force. It is more or less damage 1.0 all over again. Status effect approach on railjack is too unreliable and there is not much we can do about it. In other words, railjack is basically at the stage of warframe before the tigris prime or dual stat mods exist where boltor prime reigns supreme with a full elemental build (about 3-4years ago). Furthermore, battle avionics have a severe damage falloff and there isn't much you can do about it because there are no mods to increase overall performance of those abilities. Because of this, CC battle avionics reign supreme much like Vauban before damage builds for warframes like Saryn could reliably kill enemies before they had a chance to do anything. Again, it's like we've regressed 4-5 years. People are used to killing enemies easily without having to rely on completely debilitating enemies. Having to force them to go back to those dark times is asking for trouble. At the very least, make it so the exterminate objective isn't on every node and that there is another approach other than being forced to  murder everything. Personally, I'd like to at least see battle avionics changed to be more utility than damage where things like seeker volley will remove some armor or disable engines.

Second is the lack of explanation for almost all the things you would have to do in railjack that most players wouldn't even know if they didn't follow the livestreams or witness/hear from other players. This is a repeat of the new player experience where the entire community is technically a new player in this new gamemode. How would a player know to board a crewship if they didn't see it during a devstream? How would a player know what any of the new damage types did or convert to if they didn't read the patch notes? I even have to explain how to repair the ship by selecting the omni that is discretely placed in the gear wheel when you start the mission. What makes this worse is that there is a crewship in the very first node and it can kill a default railjack in seconds. It's like meeting Lt. Krill armed with a corrupted bombard's ogris in the next room after coming out of the cryopod when you start a new account. Don't know that you're supposed to shoot the pipes on his back? Better figure that out or else you're dead in the next few seconds! Watch out for those homing rockets so you can dodge! Oh wait, you have to earn the ability to dodge those rockets(instrinics), whoops guess you're just dead!

Then there are the mandatory avionics where you can't really survive or enjoy the game unless you have specific gear like a decent amount of avionic capacity, damage avionic, health/armor avionic. Instead of having avionics be about customizing how we play the game, it's actually more restrictive than ever because most of us can only fit hyperstrike, hullweave, bulkhead, and maybe a tactical and/or battle avionic assuming we've found any of them because all of this AND avionic capacity is locked behind really bad RNG. There are probably more old mistakes but I will leave just these three as they're the biggest problems I have with this update and it will probably plague this gamemode for several years as most of them are still unsolved in the base game.

This section should technically be in the intrinsics megathread but its so integral to the railjack gameplay that it is weird that it is in its own thread to begin with. When I first heard of intrinsics, I thought it would be DE's response to mandatory mods by having performance stats be moved into a more reliable progression system. Instead it is more like earning the ability to sprint, aim down sights, or even reload. Imagine the base game where you have to earn those abilities. Granted, most of the basic mechanics are earned relatively early on, it shouldn't even be earned to begin with. A lot of these "skills" should be available to the player by default. Instead, the intrinsics system should give performance stats with diminishing returns per level. For example, gunners should have increased critical and status chance per level with large boosts early on and small boosts by the end. Pilots would have evasion and battle avionic cooldown while engineers should have faster forge and tactical avionic cooldown. Tactical should just be removed and replaced with an interceptor intrinsic that should inherit all of the archwing boosts and be specifically for away teams that are constantly in archwing mode. Why does pilot even have an archwing boost? It doesn't make any sense.

As for the roles themselves, it's definitely overcrowded. There are too many interaction required parts of the railjack. I believe having two gunners is excessive and unnecessary. It honestly feels like it should be a pilot and a single wingman gunner like the crewship. Furthermore, having the forward artillery be a separate seat from the pilot is really annoying. It feels like the forward artillery is supposed to be used by the pilot and not a secondary gunner because it is in a separate room from the gunner seats and it is locked to the ship's direction which only the pilot has control over. The forward artillery should just be the pilot's exclusive tool while munitions and BOTH wing turrets should be the wingman's responsibility. The engineer, on the other hand, is normally busy dealing with boarders, common breaches and other status effects, and the forge which is on the opposite side of the ship. Therefore, I find it rare for an engineer to have enough free time to be a spare gunner. This leaves there being a 4th slot which is normally someone in archwing boarding crewships and it seems almost mandatory so it's really odd that it isn't its own intrinsic.

Then there is the actual cooperative experience and it is a terrible mess. It's to a point where it is actually better to solo than deal with randoms. Because the ship uses consumables that you build with resources both during and outside of missions, it is possible for players to deliberately waste them. Furthermore, only the host is really affected by this as it is their ship. So what some players can and will do is empty out your ammo and energy for literally no other reason but to make the game less enjoyable for the rest of the party. I have had people join the party and spam the battle avionics at the end of a mission when everything is dead already before the party heads to drydock so that I would have to build it all again. They can literally sabotage the host. Added to that, some randoms can also snatch the pilot seat from host and drive the railjack right next to a shipkiller platform. No one can do anything about that because it isn't possible for the host to kick someone out of the party or forcefully take the wheel. At essentially any given point of time, a person can deliberately fail the mission for the entire party. Because of this, some people opt to solo or only play with their friends.

Finally, we have the most troubling problem: dying content. This is actually a repeated old problem but it has a lot to do with the cooperative experience. Currently, railjack uses the same approach to missions as the starchart except with two major flaws in that all the missions are more or less the same per planet and railjack is meant to be a cooperative experience. So once the majority of the community runs through all the nodes, they have little to no reason to go back and do the easier nodes. So what ends up happening is there is a massive barrier to entry and that the early nodes will turn into complete ghost towns like in the normal starchart except worse because there is at least a reason to do missions like mercury capture. There is no real reason to run posit cluster more than once because it is no different than phanghoul satellites which is a little bit down the road. So people that will be starting railjack won't have many people to play with unless they're in an active clan with people willing to go back and help them. However, who wants to be that person being carried essentially? Already we have people who don't want to do railjack because they don't want to hold people back so they'll wait till they think they're prepared. Then by the time they start, there is no one to play the early railjack missions so they'll try to solo those too because their pride prevents them for asking for help. Then they give up and quit warframe. Meanwhile, people at the end of railjack don't gain those new players steadily enough while people stop playing railjack because they managed to get everything. It's a recipe for disaster; railjack will die unless this issue is addressed. I would recommend removing the railjack starchart altogether and making it an alert system where each player has randomly generated missions per proxima and their end mission rewards explicitly shown in the navigation menu(guaranteed avionics for early railjack missions like nightmare mods for nightmare missions in normal starchart). Please use Helldiver's lobby system as an example.

III. Other Suggestions

I would personally recommend changing the payload mechanic to more of a buff system where we have long cooldowns instead of ammo for munitions and forward artillery where engineers can reduce that cooldown substantially for a certain amount of time with the forge or tactical avionics. That way we can remove the loss aversion of using up consumables and regretting our spending choices. What ends up happening with consumables is that people will either horde it and never use it because they're afraid there will be a time where they'll need it even more or the exact opposite where they're afraid of missing good opportunities of using them and end up wasting everything. People will feel some level of regret whether or not they use those consumables.

Furthermore, the whole revolite system feels poorly considered. It's hard to justify repairing minor breaches and hazards when that same revolite can be saved for a critical hull failure. I would like to see this changed so that omni is FREE to use on hazards while critical hull breaches can only be sustained for so long. It should be like borderlands where if you get downed, you can be revived but if you get downed again too soon you'll have less time to be revived. However, the hull should be fully restored from a critical hull breach with the use of resources at the forge.

Aside from the payload, I would like to see railjack better connected to the rest of the game by adding more archwing/archgun mods to the droptables of fighters and crewships. This way railjack can revive the dead gamemode that is archwing. We already know that squads will be allowed to connect in the future so that ground teams can interact with railjack. I would like to see both parties have SUBSTANTIAL incentive because we're already seeing people turtle up into solo antisocial mode and we don't even have command intrinsic. Railjack needs to have good rewards that affect all parts of the game to be successful. It cannot afford to be restricted by concerns of balance with the base game.

IV. Closing

I actually enjoyed railjack quite a lot. I see that it has a lot of potential if DE decides to fully pursue it but it is certainly in a vulnerable state. Dropping this update right before a holiday where DE is unable to immediately fix many of the problems was probably a mistake but I'm hoping that railjack can recover from this. It definitely has many more problems than the ones I've address but most of them are bug fixes and number balancing that are obviously going to be looked at and fixed once everyone is back from holidays. Warframe has definitely suffered from worse and I'm sure by now that most of us expected many of the problems with this update. Railjack is certainly an ambitious move from DE and I am actually quite surprised they managed to get this gamemode to work as much as it is on the mess of a game that warframe has grown to be. I fully expect them to pile all their resources onto this project so we can safely assume that things will improve. Thank you for your hard work and may the next year be good.

All of this and more. Particularly the saboteurs part. I've run into a couple. It's why I don't leave my pilot seat, and luckily, other players will use alternate methods to complete the mission. But getting one of these people is enough on its own to discourage playing this content, let alone the plethora of bugs and glitches that can literally make this unplayable. To top it off, having the ability to kick a player when you're hosting is a missing feature that still baffles me to this day.

Edited by xZeromusx

On 2019-12-14 at 9:05 PM, enemystand said:

you need to get out, and destroy the thing with the red marker to release the lockdown, then go inside again and hack the console
i was confused the 1rst time too

nope i know how it works man it was veil i am preaty sure you can get to veil without doing the other 20 skirimish missions. It was just a bug

The speed boost tactical should instead be a battle mod. Having to stop piloting to be able to use the tactical menu sucks.

I rather have all battle related mods d-pad activated. Also, in addition to the cycle left and right ability option, we should be able to bind directional touchpad swipes like we can for Warframe abilities.

Edited by (PS4)ObsidianJackal_
More keybinding feedback

Well, I gave myself enough days to play Railjack. After clearing all nodes, getting some of the important goodies and playing with both, randoms, my clanmates and my own ship I think I can share some thoughts:

GENERAL GAMEPLAY:

The core gameplay is fun. It's a breath of fresh air and I'm reallyt glad that this, the most important part, works. The tileset on ships is great, while I still wish the Sentients will get their very own normal nodes later down the road for bigger tiles.

The roles system is a change for Warframe and I think it plays very well. The less fun part is definitely Gunner, but I think this is mainly because of the turrets themselves and not of the role (more on that further down) -- when you have good turrets with lots of heat capacity I definitely enjoy it.

The slingshot cannon is TOO GOOD. Good lord, I enjoy breaking through the hulls of Grineer galleons hehehehe 😄

The Intrinsics system is pretty fine as well. You rank up relatively easily at the start, which allows to learn the game mode well, and then there's a bigger cost for some QoL stuff. Not bad at all.

The only things that should be changed are loot hoarding and refining: You guys need to make that automatic for both. It's not fun to miss out on avionics or other stuff because you're not flying the ship close to the stuff. I think the gameplay loop is different enough to warrant this. Nothing to say regarding refining, too many people have expressed the same thoughts already.

All in all a great addition that will surely have a much better fate than Archwing back in U15. Keep taking care of it please. Can't wait for further expansions with other factions and squad link.

RAILJACK: THE SHIP PARTS

I think it's got a good basis. I don't mind having different houses to play around, but you need to balance out the power differently. Vidar is simply the best usually. Period. The RNG aspects are too severe, with the range being too big: It's just no use that the stuff you can get -- for a filmsy drop rate -- can be outright MUCH WORSE than clan research. Additionally, clan research seems wasted as soon as you get good scraps. You should have married both somehow (ie: craft instantly the MK3 engine on clan research, improve with Zekti, Lavan or Vidar plans with added timer).

Avionics capacity simply mops the needs of Flux. Definitely something to consider for down the road, as I don't think this is what you wanted given the three house choices.

RAILJACK: THE TURRETS

For turrets, Vidar mops the way too easily: They have good heat accretion, they have outright damage bonuses (what is the point of having others, then?) and are simply the best choice all around as soon as you get a +50% damage roll.

A good thing to applaud you for is having front and side turrets be interchangable instead of each having their own class.

For the bad things, the turrets simply have it too bad: There's good ideas, but Apoc, Carcinox and Cryophon are all you need. All lasers I tried simply take too long, and the continuous beam is just too unenjoyable for the whole gameplay (at least IMO, but I don't see to many people enjoying them).

This above is what makes Gunner so unenjoyable: Do you have bad turrets? People won't want to sit there. Do you have Vidar Carcinox? Boi gimme gimme.

This combined with lag (which makes for hard aim and damaging, meaning bad gameplay feedback for the player) is what makes it unenjoyable. Lag can't be really helped, but you guys need to improve the turrets options so diversity opens up a bit more.

AVIONICS:

There's two big mistakes in this department: The houses for the mandatory stuff and the horrible managing.

For houses: Bulkhead, the ship's health, has 4 versions: Sigma, Lavan, Vidar and Zekti. But only Zekti can reach 6K health. What's the point of spending dirac on others then? Same for shields, armor, etc -- it's absurd. It's taking our mods and having 4 versions of the same thing -- at the same level -- for starter content. Change Bulkhead for Vitality and you'll get what I mean. Yes, Umbral mods exist, but it's not the same: They were added for a type of lategame content that in Railjack doesn't exist yet, and were added 5-6 years into the game's lifespan. For the longest part, we just needed to Rank our Vitalities to max to make the most out of it.

The houses and horrible UI managing (sorry UI department, but it's just so bad 😞 ) don't merge well: The first time I was changing stuff I didn't know what I was doing. My health dropped. My armor dropped. Took me a while to figure out. Same for upgrading, the game doesn't communicate too well what you're doing.

Again, this is mods for the ship. You should have taken a look at what you've learnt for 5 years of mods.

I don't mind the grid powers but... It just doesn't make sense to me. Simply put that power directly to the avionics. I would have also made the shields, armor and hull be direct ship upgrades through standard parts (MKI-III, no houses). Everyone's going to end at the same point, so just why make such micromanagement for them?

I really like Flux and resistances being avionics though. Same for heat capacity and accretion management to save the shortcomings of certain parts. Not so sold on turret damage. You guys know we'll choose damage over others. I wouldn't have.

Dirac flows relatively well, you need more but you get more easily. Not bad.

THE DROP RATES AND RNG:

The big elephant in the house definitely. I don't understand why the ranges for RNG are so big and the drop rates so abysmal. I get you guys want us to play. But what has always set you apart from other games and given you praise is how you've improved on it. No more T4 Void abysmal rates. No more 2013 refining the algorithm through and through. You've been improving, yet here's a whole rollback to 2013 and earlier. Not a fan.

Getting certain parts is already hard enough, then you get a very bad roll. Ugh. I could speak of Umbra Forma BP too, but I guess it will be less rare down the road. Still, make it a bit less rare please.

EXTRA THOUGHTS:

Finally I want to say two things that are antonyms: First, as a longterm player, thanks for the new experience. I know there's a lot of (imo, well deserved) complaints, but the basis, the core, is good. It opens a lot of possibilities for the future of Warframe, and I am sure Steve has crazy ideas. Man just imagine. Trials comeback with Railjack (Jordas vs Railjack?). Dark Sector conflicts with Railjack (alliances VS Solar Rails (NOT SHIP VS SHIP AS PVP) adapting some elements (!!!)). Seamless stuff, furtheeeeeeeer down the road (2030? xD) of certain stuff, a la TennoCon 2018 demo. Thus, I want to congratulate you and thank you for your hard work these past two years. It's been worth it. Now take care of it and don't let it go to waste please.

The second though, is a much needed criticism for what you have done, in what I have no doubt was good intentioned: You released the game mode right before (the much deserved) holiday break, and therefore have left us for the holidays without taking care of this. I'm sorry to say it, but I think it was an irresponsible move. I get it: You wanted it out for X-mas: Big player draw, releasing huge update finally and having us entertained for the break. But not like this. There's a lot of work to do and some of it I think is not excusable. Definitely the biggest mistake, as the bad parts have outshined the very great things this offers.

I think I'm not leaving anything out. When I have enough controller studying done I might post a couple things regarding that, but so far so good.

I hope the feedback is useful. Have a happy new year DE ❤️

On second thought releasing and Christmas break could be a big benefit if taken well.

After enough complaints in bulk, maybe will give DE a better overall fix strategy. While they don't have far to go, I do worry that when they finally choose a fix will it be the right path.

DE's track record for questionable gamer thinking; meaning, if I was a player thinking of fun, enjoyment, quality of life refinements I would be met with more nerfs and more rng? Or outroduce( new word) meaning taken what you've learned and rollback to past failures. Like EA stripping sports titles of improvements only to reintroduce them later again as "new features".

Hey can you guys do something about letting random people use up special munitions and controlling navigation? A guy that connected to my game used up all the artillery fire for nothing then quit. And when I went back to the dojo, another person started the mission thus forcing me back to the rail jack.

Edited by (PS4)DragonGamer123
  • Like 1

I'm not going to go through all 32 pages to see if my concerns have been discussed, so my apologies if these were already mentioned:

1. The length of time it takes to repair a part is far too long.  Even if I put in an order when I wake up, by the time I can claim it, it's basically downtime/bedtime.  I recommend cutting in half.

2. A tutorial for new railjackers would be nice, since I often wind up with people who have never operated one before.

3. I don't know if/how to change permissions for the railjack navigation console.  If there is a way I'd like to know, if not, please implement one.  Also I'd like permissions for some of the other consoles - perhaps some captains don't want anyone else messing with their forge, or depleting their dome charges, etc.

4. The only way to properly end a railjack session is to go into dry dock.  I would like a way to end my session by going directly to my orbiter.  IDK if that would break the game for other group members, but I don't see that it would, given that apparently the owner of a railjack does not need to be present for it to be used.

Random idea: let us equip the Omni on the gear wheel so we can bind it to a specific key AND let it be used in any mission to repair a fallen sentinel. That would solve two existing problems (the annoyance of the Omni auto-equip/unequip every mission + sentinel terrible survival). 

Okay, so, i don't know if it is the good place for that, but i'll try anyway, and place the same one in another thread just in case it's the wrong one.

the Slingshot. it feels god damn awful to use. i'm not talking about the numerous bugs. that will eventually get fixed with time. i'm talking about the limited angle you can shoot it with. being at the mercy of the pilot feels extremely frustrating to deal with. when you are "this" close to being able to aim at the crewship, but that the pilot just DOESN"T tilt the last centimeter. it's near maddening. Slingshot should ( around similar rank to gunner, or a lil bit higher, like 4-5 ) have a 360 shooting angle too. and making the argument that "it can't shoot through our ship, that's why the Railjack needs to aim at the crewship" , let me remind you that turrets can shoot quite literally through our Railjack. Turret from right wing can shoot fighters that are on the left wing side, without any problems, thanks to an upgrade in gunnery. the slingshot also needs that. urgently. imagine how it would feel if gunners couldn't have that 360 degree angle. feels very limiting, doesn't?

It needs to be changed. as well as the Domecharge artillery, for the same reasons. being at the mercy of the pilots, to have a "certain" shooting angle, is atrocious.

Edited by mikakor

Just some feedback after fiddling with Railjack a bunch.

Particle ram is too busy
It looks nice, but it's kind of a problem especially for side gunners. The particle ram makes it difficult to see enemies / enemy markers while it is active. Could we tone down the flashiness of it? Maybe get rid of the side lines and keep the face only? Maybe give it the Mirage hall of mirrors treatment so we can see through it while aiming?

Void cloak lighting
The red mood lighting gives low contrast to enemy markers while in the gunner positions (Red enemy indicators, on red screens), making it difficult to see where they are. Maybe make the lights blue instead of red?

Bad popup placement
For a significant amount of time during a mission, there are popups. Avionics and resource pickups, as well as Cy complaining about damage, or fires, or ruptures, or breaches, or incoming breaches, or mission objectives, or crew ships coming, or crew ships going out... you get the idea. There are so many of them, that they often stack and just keep displaying in long chains. These popups occupy the same space that is used to show other info. If you have slot 2 and/or 3 of tactical avionics being used, the buttons and cooldown counters get covered. These also cover part of the the heat meter on the side gunner's view.

Battle avionics can be abused by trolls
Can we get ship customization for restrictions? Like options to restrict usage to certain seats or to captain only? More than once have I had random players eject the particle ram for no reason. I've also had someone spam the seeker volley at the start of a mission at nothing to purposely burn energy and then quit the session. It isn't super common, but it really sucks when you get a troll on your squad.

Wreckage cap and management
Could we get the already existing inventory functions in here, like searching and bulk discarding? There's a wreckage cap, so I assume you want us to not store so much for whatever reason. Help us, help you. Make it easier for us to get rid of the junk.

Death blossom has no indicator
I feel like there should be something that lets people know their guns don't have cooldown. Like maybe change the aiming reticle so it shows something, or maybe make the heat meter highlighted while active. A counter of remaining buff time would be nice too.

• Like 1

I figured it out. 

Plains if Eidolon! It's an open world... minigame sidequest. Complete the sidequest and go right back to the main quest, Warframe.

Orb Valis! It's a sidequest in the snow! Wee, even got an optional boss or two just like PoE!

Bosses not hard enough? Optional Boss! Not part of the game, you can ignore it completely. You'll just miss out on the optional weapons and nifty cosmetics he stuffed into it attract collectors.

What, what, what? Already got the loot? Well here! Another sidequest.... In spaaaaace. Go on out, fight against space ships. Regular missions? Ah you won't directly interact but we plan to make it so you can send out an optional quest to people there. You just can't buzz people on PoE or OV. 

Just a space fighter subgame. We snuck in a pair of regular weapons to get those collectors and made it nice and shiny.  However it's still... not the real game.

I've got good parts, the best avionics, missed one weapon bp. I don't have the ephermera. I honestly thought Railjack would be part of the main game, not a sidequest.

It's kinda depressing once I finally figured out my frustration over Warframe.

Why is the Railjack so freakin big? It would be preferable to have a small ship like the orbiter, a few Dozen of them -- each with a player, and being able to combine them or dock them onto another into a larger ship, and to be able to detatch or undock your vessel when you feel like traveling somewhere else solo.

I think (current) endgame RJ feels so, so fun. 

However, getting to that point is awful. The RNG is too severe. ESPECIALLY the reactor. This is the HARSHEST bottleneck in the entire system.

Beyond that, I have seen a good amount of debate on these forums, reddit, and youtube, on which are the best turrets. This is a fantastic sign.

To throw in my $0.02: I love Zetki Apoc 3s on the nose, Vidar Cryo 3s on the sides, and a good Particle Ram up the ol' Void Hole.

Reactors randomised stats are not well designed. Having the choice between flux energy and avionic capacity everyone in their right mind would choose capacity. Why? Simple, with low flux i still have options to counter manage the situation. I can: mod railjack with avionic that gives extra flux, and I can always replenish used flux through foundry while in mission. With low avionic i have no means to counter. My ship will not be fully modded.

Also having a fixed max stat per house with only vidar reaching 100 renders all other houses apart from vidar completely useless. Only vidar can grant highest capacity. 

There are two options to resolve this problem:

A) Avionics capacity should not be randomized stat. Make it a fixed stat per mk level. For example mk 3 having 100 capacity. This way i could at least consider choosing other houses for bonus stats

B) keep stats random but let me upgrade my reactor with dirac. This way even if i was unlucky with RNG i could still work on it to counter it. Heck! After upgrading grid and desired avionic there is no use for dirac so it would make sense to have a resource drain. 

Edited by puciate
  • Like 1

My feedback on this after two weeks at it. 

First, counter to the groupthink I LIKE the RNG loot, it always gives you that thing that could drop better than the one you have rather than being 1 drop and done. BUT (big one) it has to be one layer of RNG. Like the entire Lich system, having a 2% drop on a 30 minute mission be RNG is just terrible when it’s something like the Vidar reactor (or in Lich case 2-8 hour to reset). And the RNG range can’t be as wide and hilariously bad on the low end as it is. 

Railjack itself once you get equipped is fairly good  but the starting out process is painful  the initial rj isn’t equipped to do anything which has led to a lot of people just permanently doing the content in archwing.  

Mission repetition however is bad  every mission is kill x fighters, y crewships and then maybe 1-2 ground objective.  It got old fast and just increasing that number is annoying.  

One thing I hate in games are “existence mechanics” things that were only put in to give another thing a reason to exist. I feel like de for some reason decided railjack needed to be social long experiences in a game where everything is speedrun, often solo and filed it with these existence mechanics. I have “overcome” this with gear and tactics (as you do when devs try to force you to play the “right” way).  The problem is that most of them make no sense.  Fix these cracks that happen the second the shields go down (though on a ship with 6k hull you can only have 3 which reduces that to 5k), woops, you got boarded better kill them before they annoy you too much (seriously I most commonly come off the pilot seat to get rid of the chainsaw noise in my ear not because they are actually doing anything bad. Your shields are shorting our! You mean the shields that are always down anyway? Fires? See 5k health for the most part, and I have an avionic for that anyway.  The ground objectives tend to be more of a seperate detached thing than a support one  keep your distance and they don’t affect the rj in any way.  

Which brings us to crewships, the bane of our existence  if you can get enough of them to spawn to finish the game, they can only be killed by boarding (you know, not being on the railjack,) they chunk boarders at you (which cy loves to point out after they already hit you  and in veil have been allowed to make enemies permanently heal to full in 1 second (law of unintended consequence including the otherwise invulnerable if you don’t blow off the hotspot outrunners who truly become invulnerable if you discover this too late to hit several hot spots at once with a missile).  

The main artillery has to have a purpose planned we don’t have  there is no reason to use it for the most parts and its nearly impossible to hit a moving target with it (see the      Healing outrunners, I’ve missed 4 straight shots with the crosshairs over it)  and its buggy even against crewships.  

Weapons are a decent choice except the ordinance slot which only has one useful option (tycho)

Other:

repair costs are crazy, especially for titanium  

ground enemies scaling differently from the rest of the game is bizarre 

gun emplacements do way too much damage and seem to either respawn or fail to show up as targets 

Edited by (XB1)Evilgamr
  • Like 1