Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Effective Zaw Builds (Ooltha, Dehtat) Post Melee 3.0

EntityEnigma

Question

11 answers to this question

The main thing with zaws I think is to not get them too slow, 0.850 is the lowest attack speed I have on any of my zaws, and I would say that's the absolute minimum acceptable speed. I built a 0.800 polearm zaw before and found that way too slow even with primed fury or berserker. Other than that I basically choose the grips that I like the look of with a given strike, and for the most part you can do well with any choice of links for them so long as you keep the attack speed from going to low.

But if you want suggestions, for the ooltha I'd go for a sword over a staff because staff stances are not doing too great right now, and since it's weighted towards slash it's in a particularly good spot for full crit with the vargeet 2 jai but links with more hybrid stats are also fine choices.

For the dehtat, polearms and rapiers are both good but with slash being only the second highest I personally wouldn't bring the status chance lower than 14%, probably leaning towards something higher.

I just rolled a riven with incredible critical stats so I'm really tempted to build 32% crit and 10% status for a dehtat rapier. I was originally going to go 25% and 14% but now I can't decide. Will I notice a big fall off in performance at higher levels if i lose the extra status? Also, should I consider building a polearm instead to capitalize on the range?

unknown.png?width=400&height=254

Edited by EntityEnigma

1 hour ago, EntityEnigma said:

I just rolled a riven with incredible critical stats so I'm really tempted to build 32% crit and 10% status for a dehtat rapier. I was originally going to go 25% and 14% but now I can't decide. Will I notice a big fall off in performance at higher levels if i lose the extra status? Also, should I consider building a polearm instead to capitalize on the range?

unknown.png?width=400&height=254

that Riven is good, but the new meta is entirely based on the ability to build up combo stacks. Join the combo side of the Force...

5 minutes ago, ILOHARTA said:

that Riven is good, but the new meta is entirely based on the ability to build up combo stacks. Join the combo side of the Force...

That's... really helpful thx. Could you at least explain?

Edited by EntityEnigma

4 minutes ago, ILOHARTA said:

I've a god Riven for my zaw, and you really can't imagine what happens when you can run around with permanent 12x combo stacks...

Sorry to sound like a total jerk but it really sounds to me like you're here to brag and spam this thread with useless posts. I was asking if you would be able to explain what you mean by new meta. What mods do you use and how is it different from the old meta? I'd like to know how to build what you are talking about otherwise it doesn't do anyone much good to just post that you're using a new meta and it's working great for you. That's nice but I didn't start this post for that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EntityEnigma said:

Sorry to sound like a total jerk but it really sounds to me like you're here to brag and spam this thread with useless posts. I was asking if you would be able to explain what you mean by new meta. What mods do you use and how is it different from the old meta? I'd like to know how to build what you are talking about otherwise it doesn't do anyone much good to just post that you're using a new meta and it's working great for you. That's nice but I didn't start this post for that.

I'm sorry you feel like that. A quick research on 'differences between Melee 2.0 and Melee 3.0' will give all the answers you are looking for, including the benefits of combo stacks over raw damage builds. Best of luck!

3 hours ago, ILOHARTA said:

I'm sorry you feel like that. A quick research on 'differences between Melee 2.0 and Melee 3.0' will give all the answers you are looking for, including the benefits of combo stacks over raw damage builds. Best of luck!

Man, I'm sure you had the best intentions but forums are for asking and answering questions. If you're gonna tell someone to go do their own research, just don't, please don't even bother to post. I also searched for what you typed and found information on builds for heavy attacks but not combo building. Did this guy just troll me or am I crazy?

Edited by EntityEnigma

I think for the Dehtat I've decided to build a polearm, and use Seekalla for the grip because of the speed and Vargeet II Jai for the maximum critical chance. Apparently damage boosts to strikes from patch 3.0 made fast grips a much better choice overall and most people I've talked to have said that 32/10 will generally out perform 25/14. I'm thinking I'll be using Quickening in combination with Exodia Triumph for faster combo building. I doubt I'll even be able to hit E fast enough to be able to utilize the speed boost from berserker with a base speed of 1.167.

I'm expecting the combination of high attack speed, the 20% combo count bonus from Quickening, the 50% combo count bonus from Exodia Trimph, and the additional range from my riven will be enough to help me get to or close to a 12x multiplier in a relatively short amount of time. I'm also hoping the bonus critical chance on spin will help me one shot most targets once I'm there.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, but this seems like an interesting idea and worth a try. I'll post my results after I've tested.

Edited by EntityEnigma

I dunno... I have two variants that differ only slightly and they both seem to perform quite well:

unknown.png?width=400&height=218

I also tried swapping Bleeding Willow for Twirling Spire and Exodia Triumph for Exodia Hunt in my simulacrum tests but didn't notice a whole lot of difference against level 155 heavy gunner eximus. The most affective thing against heavily armored targets with a lot of EHP seems to be to build up combo to about 5 or 6x and just do a heavy attack to get rid of it which isn't too hard to do in a crowd. Apparently Shimmering Blight is currently the best polearm stance but Bleeding Willow seems to have very similar function in terms of motion and procs. Shimering Blight also requires an extra forma.

The settup displayed above can get to a x8 multiplier in about 2 or 3 seconds when fighting amidst a dense crowd of enemies. It seems to do really well in missions with a lot of confined spaces like kuva survivals. Building for Spire/Hunt might give better results in missions where enemies are less likely to bunch up because of the combined slam and pull functionality on the forward aim combo. I would imagine though that this weapon would struggle with single targets in arbis at high levels. It's probably best used for clearing large groups of fodder in most situations up to around level 125.

Hopefully this helps someone who was as confused as I was.

Edited by EntityEnigma

My knowledge may be somewhat obsolete but in my experience and testing, fast status zaws with condition overload were best performing weapons. Imo zaw should to aim to get speed over 1. I have few zaws, 0,85 is slowest and 1.10 is fastest and difference is staggering between two.

You could go for full crit build, but you have weeping wounds option then. Alternatively on status zaw, blood rush and organ shatter are doing crit part of the build. Every zaw is powerful with 4-5 formas, proper arcane, primed mods and riven. All you need to do is pick stance/weapon that you like the most, any many weapons have great stances now. I disagree that polearms /staves have bad stances btw. And they still have bigger range. And we now by now, range IS damage.