jojokaizer

Empyrean needs a tutorial.

why is there not a proper tutorial? in a system I would consider to be pretty complicated, there is zero explanation anywhere in game.  5 different games joined, zero people knew what to do or how to do it.  is it really that hard to add a few notes or maybe a practice mission? or am I missing something here? 

Edited by D20
  • Like 9
  • Haha 8
  • Satisfied 1
  • Woah 5
  • Applause 3
  • Upvote 22

They don't waste time creating fully fledged tutorials because of how much it can change in the weeks after a launch to months down the road. 

They could maybe load up patch notes in-game instead of externally loading the forums. 🤷‍♂️

• Applause 2
  • Upvote 7

I mean I briefly skimmed through the patch notes and didn't actually watch any of the devstreams, trailers, or demos of the system beforehand. Yet I've already managed to solo the first mission and feel I got a good understanding of the basics.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I wouldn't mind a brief overview of the new buttons/features that you could look at. Unless I'm mistaken there's no obvious way to bring up your tactical menu without knowing it's bound to L. At least I didn't see it anywhere.

Having a blast so far though. Clan mates are really enjoying it so far. Randoms... not so much.

I'm not sure if a Tutorial would make it any less unfun. 

At least so far my experience has been that of a needlessly loading screen intensive user interface (if you want to start a new session) and mediocre gameplay. 

Course that was my impression from the singular mission I've run so far, having boarded a grineer whatever, used it to blow up another grineer whoozle, being like 66% of our teams damage and fixing a hole that inexplicably erupted in the inner wall of the Railjack because apparently our hull is filled with the vacuum of space. 

Plus the things handle like boats, but in space. 

1 minute ago, Oreades said:

I'm not sure if a Tutorial would make it any less unfun. 

Plus the things handle like boats, but in space. 

I mean fun is another story, that's personal impressions. 

Did you ever play Black Flag? The pirate ships handled like a bus, didn't make it any worse though. Figured that piloting the railjack would be a bus driver role since watching the Tennocon sneak peek we got before Fortuna launch.

I got it done, did the first two stages leveling up Engineering and Gunner helps.

The pilot guns seem broke, the sensitivity is extremely high and there are no options to fix it (side guns don't have this problem).

Out of all changes that I would make,

#1: remove the need to craft omni charges for repairs, just make it a staple. (just my opinion just this 1!!!)

You're pretty much playing defensively and hiding behind big rocks, because the enemies swarm you.

Sadly if you join a person who isn't investing into those pustrels and diodes to keep the ship floating you're probably going to fail.

Hijacking grineer ships is pointless, they removed heat seeking shots from their loadout (Dev stream showed heat seeking) making them worthless(Their slow projectile speed is guaranteed to miss, but at the same time they hit you with every shot 😠

Jump on them destroy their reactor and then jump off.

• Upvote 2

I do think that at the very least some assistance would help in everything. Ive spent the better part of Two YEARS to get my friends to play Warframe. Casually of course. im never like "if we dont play this game i will die" But they always say the same deals. Its too confusing, its the same thing every mission. With some slight direction in the more Mid Game mechanics would probably help them, Because they cant be asked to Watch content "Do Homework" to step into a video game. While I do like the NEW player expirence. After those few quests you are just kinda left aimless and with the only thing in mind is to. Do The Star Chart now. have fun! Hooking is hard without good content to be easier to get into.

Railjack would be great to get into with friends after being introduced to the game and getting their archwing but thats not new player friendly at all. And the lack of Tutorials dont help. #*!% me i wouldnt have KNOWN About the Omnitool if it wast for a Reddit post talking about a glitch getting the Multitool. The least they can do is make sure we know that exists. And for PuGs that dont own a Railjack. they wouldnt know WHERE to find the Engineering Bay and be able to craft more fuel for their Tool. Which is a STRICT necessity because. those 60 seconds tick fast.

1 hour ago, jojokaizer said:

why is there not a proper tutorial? in a system I would consider to be pretty complicated, there is zero explanation anywhere in game.  5 different games joined, zero people knew what to do or how to do it.  is it really that hard to add a few notes or maybe a practice mission? or am I missing something here? 

what happened? what mission?

Warframe is an easy complicated game... so easy everyone here complains about how easy and boring it is. So complicated that there is an entire freaking wiki probably with hundreds to thousands of pages on all the different mods, mechanics, frames, game modes, quests, gear, etc... Even if DE made tutorials, I'm sure there would still be so much missing that players would still be confused!

That said, I don't watch devstreams. I just did the first flying mission and walked around the ship and activated stuff that had a prompt pop up to see what it was. Then I did the first real mission and failed it 2-3 times. First because I aborted because I didn't know how to patch electrical hazards/holes/fires. Second time, I checked the gear and saw something unrecognizable... and voila, learned to fix stuff by checking the gear wheel. Used Archwing to beat the crew ships and fighters. I figured out how to board crew ships... etc... Little stuff, but enough to successfully beat the first mission. And wiki will have even more details by the time I get around to playing again.

• Like 1

I think a short story mission would have been nice for lore and tutorial learning. Is a whole lotta new stuff in this update. Even some pop up tips would help the first time we access stuff. 

• Like 1

Allow me to give you a nice reason we should have somethings to be explained to us! I have spent this update complaining that those without Railjacks can not spend points to make themselves better crew members. However I was incorrect in this. Not due to Misinformation but lack of information. It was assumed by many that the only place to Spend Points was in the console in the Dry Dock. Never was a second method shown on any Devstream, or Youtuber video, However Its been found that it IS possible to spend earned intrinsics by hitting "Escape > Profile > Intrinsics." I dont believe this very vital part of the Health of this update was shown in any Patch Note, video, anything. And that is scary to me

• Applause 2
  • Upvote 1

While I personally think there should be some short explanation of what things do ingame, the excuse that "everything should be ingame" is poor. Look at games like LoL, Dota, Overwatch, Siege, etc. They don't give you tutorials for EVERY new addition, they might include some tips in their spotlight video that's posted on youtube (which is apparently blasphemy to some people here). Part of the skill comes from figuring things out.

Also good point from some others saying that these things will change down the line most likely, so better to wait until the cake is baked before telling people how to eat it.

• Upvote 2

Tutorials in a game are necessary.Anyone who claims that the lack of them, in any game, because of laziness is a feature needs to get checked, end of story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

If im too confused, i just wait a few days until others figure it out.  I actually prefer to not be forced to play in game tutorials. Only time i ever got frustrated was when trying to defeat some boss with arbitrary invulnerability cycles. 

hace 1 hora, jojokaizer dijo:

I still haven't seen a proper tutorial in Dark Souls and here we are, playing to learn how it works, learn from your mistakes. And if you have doubts how something works, you can watch the devstreams, they can serve as a guide. Trial and error makes the most fun tutorial.

• Upvote 2

Make your Omni tool (300) keep an eye them and you should be able suffer through like the rest of us.

You only need 1 person on Archwing destroying big ships as they come near.

Prioritize Gunner 360 view, then Engineering for better repairs.

I wouldn't bother piloting your own, I can't even matchmake yet.

NOTE! Even if you fail you still get intrinsics, so don't abort.

6 minutes ago, BDMblue said:

I think we can vote.

railjack now and no tutorial

or rail jack in 1-2 months maybe more so they can get the voice acted in and program it and all the other jazz.

i vote Railjack now. 

DE has their signature DElays, but they aren't that slow. A couple in-game helping hands about the Omni and the various gunary stations and other useful features wouldn't take two months

5 minutes ago, (XB1)InductiveBag46 said:

You bet if they made the tutorial your sorry ass would complain about railjack being too easy on day two

People complaining that this game is too easy aren't complaining about the game's overtutorialization. They're complaining because they can deal 2.14 billion damage on a 50m slide attack and have deleted the few morsels of skill-based challenges this game actually has

I'm pretty sure this goes for nearly any system in warframe, not just railjack. There is also a free flight area that allows you to fuff around and learn how to fly your railjack properly.

3 hours ago, jojokaizer said:

Take a few minutes to read this post through. Should have everything you need to know.

Actually there are ton of game where you will have to go look up info for yourself. 

I don't really know why people like to be spoonfed everything, so they can steamroll through content faster.

Take your time and enjoy the learning curve. 

I'd still advocate that in game tutorial is better than having to read what you need to learn on another place. It's better if you handle the control as you are explained how they work than reading then go practice. Would mean more effort for sure, but it would also be a massive improvement to player experience. Not everyone is aware of the forums or the wiki. There's a lot of users who stops playing because they can't figure stuff out.

Having a wiki is great, but having to learn the basics there (or somewhere else) is unpractical for new users.

• Upvote 1